Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I see plenty of pretty competitive candidates on this list. Also, my ECs are pretty poor.
What are your ECs?
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I see plenty of pretty competitive candidates on this list. Also, my ECs are pretty poor.
~100 hours clinical volunteering, ~120 nonclinical volunteering, ~30 hours shadowing DO+MD, couple leadership positions, 2 and a half year of research but nothing to show for, no work experiences.
~100 hours clinical volunteering, ~120 nonclinical volunteering, ~30 hours shadowing DO+MD, couple leadership positions, 2 and a half year of research but nothing to show for, no work experiences.
To the new MCAT takers...
I received a rejection from Campbell this morning. They said they were looking for an old MCAT of 24 or above and new MCAT of 500 or above. According to percentiles a 498 (what I got) is the same as a 24, but it is not being taken this way evidently. Just a heads up! 🙂
Has anyone with a sGPA below 3.1 received any secondaries? I am worried that there is some secret GPA cutoff that I did not see... I know it is still very early in the cycle and I should not be the neurotic pre-med yet but I am just nervous
NO!!!!!!!To the new MCAT takers...
I received a rejection from Campbell this morning. They said they were looking for an old MCAT of 24 or above and new MCAT of 500 or above. According to percentiles a 498 (what I got) is the same as a 24, but it is not being taken this way evidently. Just a heads up! 🙂
NO!!!!!!!
Oh, wait, I ended up not applying there, but still, I really hope other schools don't do this!
I believe it too, but it breaks my heart. I was really aiming for at least a 500 on the new MCAT, and was crushed to have received just short of that, 498.This year, many schools have been increasing their minimum requirements for stats. I know my health professions office did in order to get a committee letter.
I believe it too, but it breaks my heart. I was really aiming for at least a 500 on the new MCAT, and was crushed to have received just short of that, 498.
I hope that I can at the very least receive one or two interviews out of 22 applications this cycle. Fingers crossed really hard!
Thanks to @OsteopathicHopeful for coming up with this idea!
This thread is meant to help each other through secondaries, interviews, and beyond I want us to be able to post anything and have similar individuals comment and provide feedback.
It is is reserved for those w/ less than a 24 MCAT or less than 3.25 sGPA or cGPA. It can be either of those particulars, or both. Additionally, I would consider those that have 6 or below within a subsection of the MCAT to be within the underdawg range as well.
Below is to help those who are applying this year with the new MCAT scoring system (the following assumptions are considered hypothetical as scoring scales vary from test date to test date):
Based on a hypothetical chart showing old (before 2015) MCAT conversions between the estimated scale score (1-15) and the percentiles of each of those scores (0-100), the 50th percentile is a composite score of around 25. So one could consider the individual scores within Verbal Reasoning, Biological Sciences, and Physical Sciences of 7-8 to be around the 50th percentile as well. So thus we can consider underdawgs to have a composite score that is below the 50th percentile (or around a 24).
So with that in mind, we can consider the 2015MCAT composite score of 500 to be the 50th percentile. So scores below 500 could be considered "underdawg" range (or individual scores below 125).....again, this is VERY hypothetical as percentiles vary slightly across test dates).
Perhaps the most difficult of having OK academic stats is getting through the primary and secondary screens to land and interview. In many cases, an interview is a subliminal message from the school that they believe you can succeed in the preclinical and clinical curriculum of medical school.
If you feel any additional information can be added to help those in this situation feel free to PM me or any of the other pre-DO mods.
Previous Underdog Threads:
2014-2015 Underdawgs Thread
2013-2014 Underdog results
Extension of Underdogs Thread MCAT 24 or less
Best of luck to you gals/guys!
I hope you at least submitted your primary. I have similar MCAT score and applied as early as possible. Unfortunately your GPA is on the lower side as well.So does anyone, including myself, on this list have a chance of making it? I keep hearing no and to not apply
NO!!!!!!!
Oh, wait, I ended up not applying there, but still, I really hope other schools don't do this!
Hey guys any advice for me? 2.9 sGPA, 3.1 cGPA 28 mcat 2000+ hrs of clinical experience, lots of research, work with with autistic kids, 3.7 self constructed post bacc. Where do I stand?
DO NOT ERASE THESE INSTRUCTIONS!
1) Click "Reply" on the most recent underdog list.
2) Delete the quote brackets at both the top and the bottom of the post.
3a) Add your username alphabetically if it is not on the list.
3b) To update your information, just find your username and ONLY change your information!
4) If you see some formatting errors and you have time, try to fix them.
5) Click "Post Reply"
Member cGPA/sGPA / MCAT / AACOMAS Verified/ Interviews/ Acceptances/Special Consideration
*Special Consideration: Military Service, International Student, IA
ahawke100: 3.8x/3.8x/25 (9 PS/ 6 VR/ 10 BS)
Abraxas65: 3.1/3.06/33 (11 PS/ 10 VR/ 12 BS) (score expiring having to retake)////reapplicant, current gpa is without this semesters replacement and will be redoing courses this fall
adamo: 3.28/3.3/23 (5 PS/11 VR/ 7)////URM (hispanic), 4.0 GPA master's degree in social science, luck
Amd4332: 3.8/3.8/498 (123 chem,physics/126cars/124bio/125 psych,soc)
becomingdoctor: 3.5/3.6/3.9(grad)/31 (5 on verbal). 3.8+GPA for last four years.
because-science: 3.23/3.08/31(9 PS/11 VR/ 11 BS)/Verified 6.30///2 Ws and 1 D in Physics (retaking this fall) work in Global Clinical Trials
Booster_Gold: 3.47/3.1/29(11/9/9)/ER Scribe
Caramos: 3.59/3.4/21(P5/V11/B5), retake 497(123/126/124/124)/URM(hispanic)(ER scribe w/ 3000 hrs)
change4med: 3.31/3.14/30 (P11/V9/B10)
ClassicJandT: 3.18/3.65/31(11/10/10)////3x reapplicant
Clockwork Biology: 2.9/2.9/3.7(grad)//32(12/8/12)
deelv01: 3.63/3.55/22 (P7/V7/B8)
doctor_wannabe: 3.8/3.7/23 attachFull192101 7/7/9)
DoctorCupcake: 3.07/3.75/MCAT June 19//// IA + withdrawal (regarding quality of grades), 6000+ hours of clinical experience
Doctruopa: 3.51/3.6/24 (7,9,8)
Eaglesfan5: 3.47/3.27/28 (V:7/PS:11/BS:10)
FemmeGoBlue: 3.1/2.8/502
FloresMD: 3.65/3.55/ 23: (7PS/6PS/10BS)/ / / / URM (hispanic)
Giovanotto: 3.5/3.5/498: (124/126/124/124) / / / / International student
Gordon Gekko: 2.87/2.62/28 (9/9/10)/ / / / IA, reapplicant, old, enrolled in SMP, got shafted by new AACOMAS rule change
IDK22: 3.5/3.5/26 (PS:10/V:8/BS:8 - after retake of 20) /// Lots of pre-req retakes and clinical experience over gap year.
Igor_Raptor: 3.2/3.7/31 (9PS/11VR/11BS)/ / / / Massive upswing (>3.7 past 4 semesters) after being out of school for two years, Military service with medical discharge
JCUnontrad: 3.1/3.42/496///3.51 post bac overall and science, 17 years of military service, >7000 clinical hours
Jesophagus: 3.1/3.1/29(9/10/10)//// 3.7+ last year, child of alumni
JohnnyDoc: 3.50/3.52/30/verified July 2nd///
Joseph252: 3.2/3.17/25 (10PS/6VR/9BS)
KO_TV: 3.43/3.27/25 (8/8/9)
lyana 3.83/3.78/24 (8/6/10)/23 (9/5/9)
MajorUnderDog: 2.99/2.93/25(7PS/ 10VR/8BS)///>8,000 clinical hours. Too many other ECs to list here. Will update after summer classes
MarshMedic: 3.37/3.2 27 (8/10/9)
mtl287: 3.6/3.55/21 (6 B/6 P/9 VR) 3500 hours clinical experience, ER scribe, DII college football and track
mulcahysj: 2.94/3.75/MCAT in AUG/// Applying in Dec. to bump cGPA to ~3.1. Military medic; multiple combat tours. 9+ years clinical exp. /3.9 last 60cr.
NineIron: 3.83/3.45/25 (7/9/9)
Nontradunderdog: 3.0/3.05/24 (8/8/8) 15,000 clinical hours between EMT and ER Scribe
Overlyromantic: 3.39/3.18/27 (7/11/9)/Verified 05/28
penguindoc17: 3.4/3.10/ ~495 (MCAT 2015)
PhillyBoy22: 3.30/3.10/ 29 (9/9/11)
PremedOfTheSouth: 3.05/2.85 /26(8/10/8) New score 507 (127/126/125/129)/ Verified 6.11///Military & URM
Pre-doc6: 3.64 (unverified, could be slightly higher)/26 (6 PS/8VR/12BS) (retaking MCAT 2015)
RTchill: 2.95/2.90/34: (10/12/12)//// URM
Schlitter22: 3.34/3.27/27 (8/9/10) Updated GPA's after a retake. Technically no longer an underdawg
Shammyguy3: 3.49/3.18/25 (8/8/9)
Spenguin: 3.1/3.1/32 (12,11,9)
Stephanopolous: 3.0/3.23/26 (7/10/9- retake after initial score of 21)
stumpedchick: 3.25/3.15/32 (10/8/14)
SurgeryDO: 3.09/3.35/19, retaking 7.19/ Verified 5.28//
sweetdreamzzz: 3.43/3.3/22, retook 44-54% (May 2015)/ / /
TrueWolverine: 3.14/3.18/July 18/ / / / Submitted June 22. Averaging 506-508 on practice mcat. Just finished two retakes, awaiting official grades to come out. Love you guys but hope to be off in a couple weeks!
Tupaka: 3.2/3.1/3.8 (grad)/33 (11/10/12)
Tuvix: 3.1/3.0/4.0(SMP)/30(9/9/12) submitted waiting for verification (non trad, lots of clinical experience, compelling story! Rollin' the dice!)
Hi guys, this is the time for the secondaries, let's support each other during those challenging times. I know myself, I would be going beserk without those threads.
My stats: MD/DO_2016:3.6/3.7/22/23(7/6/9) in 2014, retake in Jan 2015 (8/6/9), AMCAS verified 6/19, AACOMAS submitted 6/23-in progress, applied to 21 MD and 8 DO schools, received 7 MD secondaries, experiences: 1-year post-bac NIH, 1 publication with NIH, ESL, moved to the US in my 20's, International student, 200o hrs research, 2000 hrs clinical experience, speak 3 languages
You're pretty much not going to get any MD schools with that MCAT score. That is a killer for them. Don't waste your money applying to them.
For DO schools, you're also iffy. Those MCAT scores are still way below average, and adding on that you're an international applicant, you're going to have also a tough time getting into them. I would apply to the newer schools and apply more broadly. You should've applied to more DO schools and less MD schools, not the opposite.
You would have good chances for the PR MD schools, except U of PR which I believe only takes residents of PR.Hi there, thank you for your input. I am a recently naturalized citizen. The DO schools I applied to are listed below since I am looking to stay on the east coast. Is it a good selection?
NYT COM
PCOM
Rowan
WV SOM
VCOM
LU SOM
LECOM
Touro NY
What about Howard and schools in Puerto Rico since I speak Spanish? Any possible chances there?
Skip Touro, I heard they concentrate a lot on MCAT.Hi there, thank you for your input. I am a recently naturalized citizen. The DO schools I applied to are listed below since I am looking to stay on the east coast. Is it a good selection?
NYT COM
PCOM
Rowan
WV SOM
VCOM
LU SOM
LECOM
Touro NY
What about Howard and schools in Puerto Rico since I speak Spanish? Any possible chances there?
Hi there, thank you for your input. I am a recently naturalized citizen. The DO schools I applied to are listed below since I am looking to stay on the east coast. Is it a good selection?
NYT COM
PCOM
Rowan
WV SOM
VCOM
LU SOM
LECOM
Touro NY
What about Howard and schools in Puerto Rico since I speak Spanish? Any possible chances there?
So is taking the mcat on August 22nd too late to apply for this cycle? I mean, I know it's late, but can you still get away with it or are you basically dead in the water?
Institutional action. Like academic probation or caught cheating or underage drinking, etc.What's IA?
Well, my KCOM rejection letter said I didn't meet their cutoffs, so they're only looking at the "Overall" line items and not my UG 3.29s/3.22c. Thanks Liaison AACOMAS. LMU-DCOM is my final hope and then I'm calling it quits.
UG+PB+Grad. I was hoping that they'd just use the UG+PB line.Pardon me, what exactly are the overall line items?
Pardon me, what exactly are the overall line items?
Our mission is to provide students with free, unbiased information, resources, and advising for careers in the health professions. We believe every student deserves access to trustworthy guidance, regardless of background or ability to pay.