The Official 7/16/2010 MCAT club!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yips

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who else is taking the MCAT on July 16th 8 AM?

Members don't see this ad.

Yep, I have finishing up some last minute content review too! I have the Optics, Magnetism, and ElectroChemistry to get down hopefully in a few days and just keep doing questions and exams from here on out...

But with Organic I used EK Organic and supplemented it with Kaplan Organic book that I needed to fill in gaps with. Although EK does not go very in-depth on many things it does hit the reactions...What I did with the reactions at first was try to beat my head on what this reagent would do to a certain functional group (e.g., alcholol, esters, etc), but I found it more efficient to do those 1001 Questions in Organic just like (SoFreakedOut said) and just continue dong those types of problems to understand how to relate to certain problems...

But I would defintely understand the different main topics on organic such aldol condensation, tautermization, etc...And the techniques are a good to know just in case you get a passage based on it....

Yeah I suppose to take another practice test tomorrow...Hopefully it goes good...Lets do this!!!!!!!!!!! We are almost to the finish line!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

Thanks for the advice guys. I actually had the 1001 EK Organic..but hadn't done much of it. It was the very bottom of my pile of books.....good thing I decided to take it out again. lol

I just spent the last hour going through the alkane/alkene/alkyne part..definitely helped a lot. Thanks a ton & Good Luck!!

Members don't see this ad :)
if anyone is going to decide to change dates, please post it on here so i can jump on and grab the opening pleaaassseeeeee! i'm signed up for the 8th, but so not ready for that :(

if you're really not ready, is ~1 week really going to make a difference?

Just took the Kaplan FL1 and got a 9 PS 7 VR and 8 BS - not looking good, for some reason I just can't do well on the MCAT, and I'm retaking it!

this is so frustrating!!!

if my score goes up in one section, my score in another section goes down, so my score ends up remaining stagnant.

I'm getting eaten alive in VR. Do you guys actually read the passages in the VR section? I've always read all the passages but I feel myself scrambling to answer the questions sometimes. I'm starting to consider just skimming through passages so I can have more time for questions, but seems like it would probably hurt your score since it would be harder to get the main point of what the authors trying to say...idk, what do you guys think?

you have to read the passages for verbal... though a lot of times i feel the passages are so hard to understand!! and im worried my verbal score will keep me from med school! i scored 10 for 4 practice test but a 7 on one of them !! =(

Anyway, have any advice for me for ochem?? lol. I don't know what I should focus on.....I went over sn1/sn2 and e1/e2.....and I know my separation techniques....but all those random reactions..like Wittig, Claisen, something-something.....I have no idea...what should I do??

I just read the EK book 2 times and did all the problems in it. I also have the BR books for Organic but I don't think I have time to touch them. I would not worry too much since O-chem is not suppose to be heavily tested from what I have heard.

Does anyone else feels burned out? I don't even feel like studying anymore.. physics passages are going to rape me.

this is so frustrating!!!

if my score goes up in one section, my score in another section goes down, so my score ends up remaining stagnant.

I'm getting eaten alive in VR. Do you guys actually read the passages in the VR section? I've always read all the passages but I feel myself scrambling to answer the questions sometimes. I'm starting to consider just skimming through passages so I can have more time for questions, but seems like it would probably hurt your score since it would be harder to get the main point of what the authors trying to say...idk, what do you guys think?

I try to read the passage as fast as I can while still being able to ask myself (why is this person writing this?). The thing that gets me the most is the question types, especially the ones that have I, II, and III conditions. It's always between two choices for me and I choose the wrong one of the two more than I would like...

What are you guys doing for writing sample practice? I feel like I really suck at this section. It's been years since I have taken a writing course.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why, WHY does the World Cup have to be right before our MCAT?!! Argentina v. Mexico, you're killing me here. The right choice is to study but going out to watch the game is very tempting. :bang:

I just read the EK book 2 times and did all the problems in it. I also have the BR books for Organic but I don't think I have time to touch them. I would not worry too much since O-chem is not suppose to be heavily tested from what I have heard.

Does anyone else feels burned out? I don't even feel like studying anymore.. physics passages are going to rape me.

Me. haha I didn't touch books friday/saturday for the first time in a month. SO burnt out on physics. I feel great in everything chemistry, biology not so much because I'm a chem major and haven't done a whole lot of bio that's on the MCAT(anatomy and phys), physics just sucks and I am really trying to just put my head down and get through it. VR, it is what it is....so far on my EK101 I've gotten a 5,8,9,10,9,10. I feel I need to "study" the section style a bit more but what it comes down to for me on getting a 10 or better is purely my state of mind.

Why, WHY does the World Cup have to be right before our MCAT?!! Argentina v. Mexico, you're killing me here. The right choice is to study but going out to watch the game is very tempting. :bang:

Stayed home instead of going out. Proud of that :). Now to resist Spain v. Portugal, Brazil v. Chile, etc. Good luck to everyone studying hard :luck:

Me. haha I didn't touch books friday/saturday for the first time in a month. SO burnt out on physics. I feel great in everything chemistry, biology not so much because I'm a chem major and haven't done a whole lot of bio that's on the MCAT(anatomy and phys), physics just sucks and I am really trying to just put my head down and get through it. VR, it is what it is....so far on my EK101 I've gotten a 5,8,9,10,9,10. I feel I need to "study" the section style a bit more but what it comes down to for me on getting a 10 or better is purely my state of mind.

Physics is killing me too. I hate physics. I know the concepts but when it comes time to apply them I go completely blank. It sucks. I just took AAMC 4 and when I was taking it I did not think the physics was that hard but I did horrible! I am going to fail :(

pakbabydoll,

Don't say that!! We're all going to do just great. Go over all the physics formulas and see if you can explain to yourself (without looking at your notes) what each variable means...and then practice manipulating variables and like proportional relationships. And just review all your FLs.......you can do it!! ;)

We got this guyssss!!
:woot:

I totally agree with bamboo....We got this!!! Just keep the proportions and formulas under control with knowing how each thing works conceptually...That is the most important part of physics!!!

WE have time!!! Just keep reviewing the mistakes and learn form them....LETS TO DO THIS!!!:thumbup:

Is anyone else freaking out right about now? I still have that darn AMCAS to finish and the test is in 2.5 weeks. Submitting without having an MCAT score is scary.

Looks like I'll be joining the 07/16 club. I got my score from my 05/27 mcat back today and it looks like I'm still a couple points away from my goal. I did all the TPR practice tests and the AAMC practice tests...does anybody know where I can get more practice tests from?

So Freaked Out:

I feel you...I am getting very nervous as well, but Im trying to stay composed with it.....dont worry let just keep grinding these last few weeks..I went ahead and submitted my AMCAS to school that send Secondaries automatically...just to get that over it....

I woke up really freaked out today :-( its soo soooon.

Trying to plow through TPR science workbook now....

I woke up really freaked out today :-( its soo soooon.

Trying to plow through TPR science workbook now....

I know what you mean..when I wake up in the morning I think to myself "one day closer to taking the real thing!!" and I start getting freaked out lol

How have your practice tests been? Mine haven't been that great...:sigh:..

Is anyone else freaking out right about now? I still have that darn AMCAS to finish and the test is in 2.5 weeks. Submitting without having an MCAT score is scary.

I agree! but you were right about physics... 3 days of Kaplan physics topicals, P.S sectionals, and P.S section of my Kaplan FL's letter I think I feel a little bit better about it... so Thank you :)

So just going to go ahead and beat a dead horse here.... I go back to my practice tests and look over mistakes and over half are "oh, if I took more time on that one and thought it through just a bit more, I would have gotten it right." So how are other people handling this, the "stupid mistakes"?

I know what you mean..when I wake up in the morning I think to myself "one day closer to taking the real thing!!" and I start getting freaked out lol

How have your practice tests been? Mine haven't been that great...:sigh:..

So far I only have taken 3 and 4, I wanted to get more practice in (using EK 1001 for science stand alones, 101 for VR, and TPR Science workbook for science passages) before taking the next one. Unfortunately, it takes so damn long because I go over every answer in the end that I feel like there is not enough time.

How many practice problems/passages can you guys do in a day?

True to my screen name I have been so freaked out about this date because, as I've mentioned, I am trying to finish my AMCAS ASAP too. So, sorry to say it but I am jumping ship and am switching to July 30th. Two weeks doesn't seem like a lot but I do think it will make a big difference for ME. Good luck to all of you, enjoy not forfeiting another $55.

@pakbabydoll, glad it made a difference for you. Now it's time for me to practice what I preach.

Hey guys, as of now I will be joining you on July 16, but Im not sure if I should. I just took my first aamc practice today and got a 27. I really want and think I am capable of a 33. Do you think there is a chance of improving that much in only 2 weeks?

I have not been studying that much and I feel if I really crack down I might be abkle to pull it off. What do you think?? The last day to change my date is friday so I am a little stressed over this decision. Thanksss

Hey guys, as of now I will be joining you on July 16, but Im not sure if I should. I just took my first aamc practice today and got a 27. I really want and think I am capable of a 33. Do you think there is a chance of improving that much in only 2 weeks?

I have not been studying that much and I feel if I really crack down I might be abkle to pull it off. What do you think?? The last day to change my date is friday so I am a little stressed over this decision. Thanksss

I've been trying to get my 27 to a 33 for the past 2 weeks and I haven't even gotten past 30. It's really frustrating, mostly because VR is weighing my score down. But honestly, I think it IS possible, but it really depends on how much intense studying/practice tests/post-game analysis you're going to be able to get done in those 2 weeks. There's also that margin of error on ur practice test scores. If you're goal is a 33, maybe try aiming for a 35 on practice tests, just so you have some room to work with.

I've been trying to get my 27 to a 33 for the past 2 weeks and I haven't even gotten past 30. It's really frustrating, mostly because VR is weighing my score down. But honestly, I think it IS possible, but it really depends on how much intense studying/practice tests/post-game analysis you're going to be able to get done in those 2 weeks. There's also that margin of error on ur practice test scores. If you're goal is a 33, maybe try aiming for a 35 on practice tests, just so you have some room to work with.

At this point changing my date to august, that's if there are even any seats open, would put me applying to school in September. I think that is much too late. I'm gonna just have to study like crazy and really analyze my mistakes. Thanks for the advice. Good luck yourself.

At this point changing my date to august, that's if there are even any seats open, would put me applying to school in September. I think that is much too late. I'm gonna just have to study like crazy and really analyze my mistakes. Thanks for the advice. Good luck yourself.

I'm in the same boat as you, hopefully with a lot of intense studying we can really raise those scores. I think VR is part practice and part luck, I'm sure when the day comes we will be much more alert and on top of it under pressure.

sorry guys, but I'm out.

I'm changing my test date to the 30th. I've been trying to tell myself I can pull off a 30 in ~2 weeks, but I honestly just don't feel comfortable taking it right now. I think those extra two weeks will help me get the bio/physics/ochem concepts down cold and let me tie up some loose ends. Hopefully a good score in PS and BS can make up for a crappy VR.

I wish the rest of you guys the best of luck! you can do it! :)

I am so frustrated!! my score goes up in one section and goes down in two.. I don't want to change my date though. I just want it to be over! any advice??

I will be joining you all. Just finished Physics review. First AAMC FL tomorrow. Thant leaves 4 days for Bio, 4 days for Ochem and 3 days for AAMCs.

Yikes. Not the best schedule I know but here goes!

Is it me or is AAMC FL # 9 easier than FL #3 and #4...I hope the other AAMCs follow this pattern as well!!

Every time I am about to take an FL...I get so nervous..and I pray that I do better than the last FL..or at least the same as the last one.......AAAAHHH!!

:xf:

I really hope this is the first and LAST time I have to take this beast of a test!

Good Luck to everyoneeee!

I will be joining you all. Just finished Physics review. First AAMC FL tomorrow. Thant leaves 4 days for Bio, 4 days for Ochem and 3 days for AAMCs.

Yikes. Not the best schedule I know but here goes!

You're going over Bio and Orgo for the first time in the next few days? :eek: Ooo, hope that works out.
(yes, I quit this date, sorry to be trolling...I hadn't changed the thread subscription preferences)

You're going over Bio and Orgo for the first time in the next few days? :eek: Ooo, hope that works out.
(yes, I quit this date, sorry to be trolling...I hadn't changed the thread subscription preferences)

Well, I was enrolled in Kaplan and fell behind their course and didn't keep up with the readings. I feel like I got a basic refresher on some of the topics. I took their diagnostic and scored a 24. (7s on sciences and 10 on verbal). After their first 2 classes on each subject (out of 3 classes total for each subject) I scored a 28 on their practice test (8s in the sciences and 12 in verbal). So I did do a little better in sciences and hopefully I will do a lot better after my intensive review.

So I did do some review but have not really done much in the books during my Kaplan time. I am hoping to bring the sciences up to at least 10s and am hoping the verbal will carry me home. I have always been strong in verbal and writing tests so I am hoping :xf: for a 12 minimum. I am finishing Physics tomorrow and hope to take an AAMC FL tomorrow night. I have been doing a mix between TBR and Kaplan for each chapter and have been doing the EK1001 questions for each also. I am finished with chem and now physics. The FL will gauge how effective that was.

If I score an 8 or 9 (or God forbid lower) in physical sciences, I am probably screwed! This would show that my plan stinks. If I score 10 or higher then it would seem to be working and I would finish my Bio and O chem in time to gauge my review with another FL. Then I would do as many FLs as possible before the real deal and work intensively on my problem areas by doing more EK1001s and going over it in depth.

I do not recommend this plan. If you were not good at verbal this plan would sink you (it may sink me and I think I am pretty good in verbal). I have no time to study verbal except for the FLs. I have spent the last two weeks in the library from the time I get out of bed until 9 at night. Fear of the MCAT keeps me from burning out!!! My only obstacle could be my scores on the physical science section tomorrow or the next day! I will report back then!

Pray for me and wish me well!

Dr. Optimistic,

Definitely wish you well and I'll pray for you too....but do pray for me as well!! :)

Any verbal tips??

To help you out with the PS section, practice math everyday...like changing numbers into scientific notation, manipulating variables, proportional relationships, etc. This will definitely save you time for PS. ..which if you're like me...time is very precious on the PS section...the more you can save for harder questions..the better.

Good luck to you.

Does anyone find kaplan FL's too easy? I've been scoring pretty high and wondering if it was just the program or I actually am prepared for the test.

Does anyone find kaplan FL's too easy? I've been scoring pretty high and wondering if it was just the program or I actually am prepared for the test.
Although the tests are harder, many think that the Kaplan curve is too lenient.

I actually scored closer to my Kaplan average on the real thing, rather than my AAMC average. Go figure.

Although the tests are harder, many think that the Kaplan curve is too lenient.

I actually scored closer to my Kaplan average on the real thing, rather than my AAMC average. Go figure.

That makes me feel a little better I guess. Do you know how they score it when u take these practices? Like is it scaled like the real mcat where they base it off how others have done compared to you or is it like 8 wrong and u get a 13.

That makes me feel a little better I guess. Do you know how they score it when u take these practices? Like is it scaled like the real mcat where they base it off how others have done compared to you or is it like 8 wrong and u get a 13.
I'm not quite sure. I doubt that Kaplan was truly statistically rigorous in making the curve, even if they did base it off real test takers. That's just my gut feeling, though. After all, I would miss something like 10 questions on the Kaplan bio section, and still get something ridiculous like a 14.

It's actually difficult to compare the real thing to the Kaplan tests. Kaplan is just different. You can probably get a ballpark of where you stand using the Kaplan tests, but the AAMC tests are really what the test is like :)

I'm not quite sure. I doubt that Kaplan was truly statistically rigorous in making the curve, even if they did base it off real test takers. That's just my gut feeling, though. After all, I would miss something like 10 questions on the Kaplan bio section, and still get something ridiculous like a 14.

It's actually difficult to compare the real thing to the Kaplan tests. Kaplan is just different. You can probably get a ballpark of where you stand using the Kaplan tests, but the AAMC tests are really what the test is like :)

yea thats whats been happening to me. thanks for getting back to me

Signed up for the 16th, but I've been totally unmotivated about studying. Finally got off my butt last week and took a practice test cold, and got 8 PS 8 BS 10 VR.

I did okay in GChem, but I'm hurting in PS because I didn't have any of the equations memorized (working on that now). Biology is hard because I've never had any anatomy classes, and OChem is hard because I took the year condensed in 9 weeks and remember like 20% of it.

I've been reading through the EK book to re-learn Physics, and I think I'll do the same for ochem/bio. A few subjects in GChem I need to brush up on as well, so I'm hoping I can get everything done in time to take a few more practice tests before the 16th! :(

Hi everyone!

I signed up for this date two weeks ago (no kidding, kind of a spur of the moment decision). Wow you all sound so well prepared...

Just wondering, of the AAMC CBT tests, which are the hardest?

Good luck to all.:)

Hi everyone!

I signed up for this date two weeks ago (no kidding, kind of a spur of the moment decision). Wow you all sound so well prepared...

Just wondering, of the AAMC CBT tests, which are the hardest?

Good luck to all.:)

I hear AAMC 8 is hardest of all.