*-*-*The Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2011*-*-*

Started by JJMrK
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just wondering what medical schools considered to be science professors in regards to letters of recommendations? I know biology, chemistry, physics, etc, but I am MPH student and was wondering if any of my MPH professors would be considered science professors if they wrote me a letter? Thanks!
 
i'm about to start my my repplication through AMCAS. if i reregister will it repopulate all the fields?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i'm about to start my my repplication through AMCAS. if i reregister will it repopulate all the fields?

repopulate?

All your information from last year's should be there still, but I'm not sure if that is what you are asking.
 
You mean you haven't started? It's way too late to start now I would wait for the next cycle.

With all due respect, I submitted mine August 1st of last year, and took a 2nd MCAT on August 5th. It's far from too late.

To the question---I logged into my AMCAS from last year 2 days ago. You can copy/paste written parts if need be. Just make sure you've added something new to this year's application, no one wants to see you sitting still while you wait.
 
if i submit before aug 1, is it considered early still??? i am so losttt

Aug. 1 is a little late to be considered "early," but it's certainly not late, considering most schools will have primary deadlines between October and December. You will have to wait a little longer to get verified on AMCAS, but you're not late. If you need that extra time to get your letters of rec in order or perfect your PS, better to take it than submit an app now that's not the best it can be
 
Does my transcript need to have been received by AMCAS in order for me to submit my primary? Or can I submit it anyway?

You can submit your primary as soon as you're ready, but there's not much AMCAS will be able to do it with in regards to verification until they receive your transcripts .. verification essentially just involves checking that you've listed and classified your courses appropriately, and they can only do that once they have your transcripts.
 
So...another question. I have entered in all my course work correctly. However, on the main overview page, it lists my semester one and semester two courses under 2007 even though only the first semester (fall semester) classes were in 2007. Then ALL of my sophomore classes are listed as 2008 even though only the first (fall) semester was in 2008. When I go to edit it, then it lists all the courses as they should be. I was wondering if this happened to anyone else and is just a glitch?
 
I took both AP Calculus and AP US History during HS and received credit on my transcript for both classes. However, AMCAS denied both classes upon my submission last year. I didn't worry too much about it, but this time i'd like to get it corrected. Does anyone know why this is the case?

in addition, there are Xs next to several other course including research, linguistics, and social neuroscience. do the Xs mean they didn't use it or that they changed it? and if so, how do we know what changes they made? or if they removed it in actuality?
 
Is credit/ no credit the same as pass/fail? I took some P.E. classes that were credit/no credit at my school, but now I am not sure how to classify them since pass/fail sounds awfully similar.
 
Is credit/ no credit the same as pass/fail? I took some P.E. classes that were credit/no credit at my school, but now I am not sure how to classify them since pass/fail sounds awfully similar.

Indicate that the grade is CR (or NC, depending on what the transcript says) then check the box at the bottom that says pass/fail.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is AMCAS like AACOMAS in that does it cost extra to add schools after I submit my primary? Or is it all the same price for each school regardless of when I add them, before submitting my primary or after?
 
and for another question, when reapplicants apply the letters aren't repopulated. does that mean i have to pay and resend them to AMCAS? or do i just make new entries and expect AMCAS to still have them?
 
Hey guys,

I am verified and everything as of late June, but I haven't sent all of my schools a copy of the application because my MCAT scores don't come out until August 10. Should I wait? Will waiting until after getting my scores be a bad idea when it comes to receiving and doing secondaries?

Thanks for the advice in advance!
 
I took both AP Calculus and AP US History during HS and received credit on my transcript for both class
es. However, AMCAS denied both classes upon my submission last year. I didn't worry too much about it, but this time i'd like to get it corrected. Does anyone know why this is the case?

in addition, there are Xs next to several other course including research, linguistics, and social neuroscience. do the Xs mean they didn't use it or that they changed it? and if so, how do we know what changes they made? or if they removed it in actuality?

and for another question, when reapplicants apply the letters aren't repopulated. does that mean i have to pay and resend them to AMCAS? or do i just make new entries and expect AMCAS to still have them?
 
First of all, they get upwards of 40,000 applications in any given cycle. That's a lot of stuff to go through, and store if the cycle doesn't work out for any given person. That's probably why they don't have them saved... it'd take up too much room. Besides, most applicants will send in updated letters anyway.

Make sure your AP credit shows up on your transcript, and make sure you put it into AMCAS as it appears on your transcript.

An X means that they made some sort of change. The only way you can tell what change they made is if you have your unverified grades section next to your verified grades section. Schools don't worry about the X, though, because there's so many different things that could have been changed that it's not worth it to worry.
 
what do most applicants put in for credit hours/grades when no such things are on our transcript? (i'm just trying to find out why they changed it).
 
Last edited:
Hey guys,

I know this has been answered before but i feel paranoid.. so I want to be 100% sure before I press the submit button.

I have everything ready but my letters are taking longer than I expected... should I submit my AMCAS before they get my letters?

Thanks, this thread is super helpful
 
Hey guys,

I am verified and everything as of late June, but I haven't sent all of my schools a copy of the application because my MCAT scores don't come out until August 10. Should I wait? Will waiting until after getting my scores be a bad idea when it comes to receiving and doing secondaries?

Thanks for the advice in advance!

If you have the money now and really want to get in this cycle, you should add the schools now. Send secondaries within 2, max 4 weeks of getting them. That way, once your MCAT scores roll in your file at schools will be complete.
 
Hey guys,

I know this has been answered before but i feel paranoid.. so I want to be 100% sure before I press the submit button.

I have everything ready but my letters are taking longer than I expected... should I submit my AMCAS before they get my letters?

Thanks, this thread is super helpful

Yes. Congrats, your part of the AMCAS is complete.
 
First of all, they get upwards of 40,000 applications in any given cycle. That's a lot of stuff to go through, and store if the cycle doesn't work out for any given person. That's probably why they don't have them saved... it'd take up too much room. Besides, most applicants will send in updated letters anyway.

Oh please! Do you know how many bytes are required to stored that whole information? Do you know that there is a company archiving the whole interweb? I find it hard to accept that AMCAS don't keep the old data.😡😡
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
has anyone else had issues entering AP credit (and while i'm mentioning this) pass/fail courses into AMCAS? last year they had to revise my entries in ways i'm not quite too sure about. i looked at the instructions, but i'm still not sure about what to put for credit hours/grades for AP and pass/fail courses.
 
Hi, I had all my professors send their letters to interfolio, however, as I am getting secondaries, it seems like many schools require the LORs through the AMCAS letter service. Can I have interfolio send the letter to the letter service?
 
Yes. Send all your interfolio letters to AMCAS -- but first make sure to tell AMCAS the LORs are coming in your primary application (in order to get an ID number for the letter). Interfolio will ask for the AMCAS ID #s for your LORs before they will send them to AMCAS. It costs $6 to send but is cheaper than having to send the LORs to each school individually.
 
I was just wondering what medical schools considered to be science professors in regards to letters of recommendations? I know biology, chemistry, physics, etc, but I am MPH student and was wondering if any of my MPH professors would be considered science professors if they wrote me a letter? Thanks!
 
has anyone else had issues entering AP credit (and while i'm mentioning this) pass/fail courses into AMCAS? last year they had to revise my entries in ways i'm not quite too sure about. i looked at the instructions, but i'm still not sure about what to put for credit hours/grades for AP and pass/fail courses.

You put the credit hours that they give you for AP and pass/fail courses. You put G, NG, or CR for the grade.

They might've changed your 'year in school' as well. AP credit should show up on the semester you started college, right along with the coursework from that semester.
 
You put the credit hours that they give you for AP and pass/fail courses. You put G, NG, or CR for the grade.

They might've changed your 'year in school' as well. AP credit should show up on the semester you started college, right along with the coursework from that semester.


So, even if there is nothing written in he grade section of your transcript (just a blank space), you would still put NG/G/CR (what do G and CR stand for, btw?)?
 
How much time passes between sending in your completed AMCAS application and getting secondaries?

I submitted my AMCAS about two weeks ago. The very next day I got one secondary, and within the last two weeks, I got about 4 more. I applied to a TON though, and was just curious as to why I didn't get more secondaries yet...

Also, what is the best time/date to get all your stuff (secondaries) in by?

Thanks!
 
has anyone else had issues entering AP credit (and while i'm mentioning this) pass/fail courses into AMCAS? last year they had to revise my entries in ways i'm not quite too sure about. i looked at the instructions, but i'm still not sure about what to put for credit hours/grades for AP and pass/fail courses.

Put whatever is on your transcript. For the grade mine said CR so that's what I put in. For the term I put the summer before I started. None of mine ended up getting corrected.

You put the credit hours that they give you for AP and pass/fail courses. You put G, NG, or CR for the grade.

They might've changed your 'year in school' as well. AP credit should show up on the semester you started college, right along with the coursework from that semester.

So, even if there is nothing written in he grade section of your transcript (just a blank space), you would still put NG/G/CR (what do G and CR stand for, btw?)?

Merging into the AMCAS questions thread.
 
I took both AP Calculus and AP US History during HS and received credit on my transcript for both class
es. However, AMCAS denied both classes upon my submission last year. I didn't worry too much about it, but this time i'd like to get it corrected. Does anyone know why this is the case?

in addition, there are Xs next to several other course including research, linguistics, and social neuroscience. do the Xs mean they didn't use it or that they changed it? and if so, how do we know what changes they made? or if they removed it in actuality?

and for another question, when reapplicants apply the letters aren't repopulated. does that mean i have to pay and resend them to AMCAS? or do i just make new entries and expect AMCAS to still have them?

Not sure about the stuff regarding your transcripts but you'll definitely have to resubmit your letters.

why is that? shouldn't they have already received them/

I dunno, I'm guessing they discard them. It works the same way as transcripts. You have to resend them every year you apply. This is in the AMCAS instructions somewhere.

First of all, they get upwards of 40,000 applications in any given cycle. That's a lot of stuff to go through, and store if the cycle doesn't work out for any given person. That's probably why they don't have them saved... it'd take up too much room. Besides, most applicants will send in updated letters anyway.

Make sure your AP credit shows up on your transcript, and make sure you put it into AMCAS as it appears on your transcript.

An X means that they made some sort of change. The only way you can tell what change they made is if you have your unverified grades section next to your verified grades section. Schools don't worry about the X, though, because there's so many different things that could have been changed that it's not worth it to worry.

what do most applicants put in for credit hours/grades when no such things are on our transcript? (i'm just trying to find out why they changed it).

Oh please! Do you know how many bytes are required to stored that whole information? Do you know that there is a company archiving the whole interweb? I find it hard to accept that AMCAS don't keep the old data.😡😡

Wait, so the credit doesn't show up on your transcript? You can't just add classes if they're not on a transcript somewhere.
Merging with the AMCAS questions thread.
 
This summer I tutored my cousin in Organic Chemistry for free. She went from an F to a C+... As she is my cousin, I have no idea how to write it in the description. Do I leave that out or should I be as specific as possible?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This summer I tutored my cousin in Organic Chemistry for free. She went from an F to a C+... As she is my cousin, I have no idea how to write it in the description. Do I leave that out or should I be as specific as possible?

I would probably leave this out...
 
Sentence in PS:
He loved taking to me on long drives...

It should be:
He loved taking me on long drives...

I swear I read this thing like two thousand times and I can't fathom how I didn't catch it till now.
I submitted like a freakin' month ago too...

Yes, yes I know I can't do anything about it BUT I can't help but be frustrated/sad/nervous/anxious.

It's the only mistake I found...How bad does it look?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.