-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
*-*-*The Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2011*-*-*
Started by JJMrK
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
You should be fine but I understand your frustration.
I have noticed 3 tiny mistakes in my application and each of them kill me.
I have noticed 3 tiny mistakes in my application and each of them kill me.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
lolFunny how that reads now though, sounds like your driver was hitting on you.

Seriously though, you're screwed. Perhaps you should start searching for a less intensive career, like amateur basket weaving. Or the person that works at the McDonald's drive-up window.
Oh Em Ge, you're so effed
I read it as "he loved TALKING to me"...I doubt it's a big deal
I did the same thing
I think it's time to apply chiropractic

You're probably okay. I got multiple acceptances and my PS was horrible, filled with spelling errors and grammar mistakes. I think schools don't even weigh it that much unless it's particularly good or bad. Mine was apparently good enough to be middle ground.
I'm pretty sure that adcoms realize you're not a robot.

You're probably okay. I got multiple acceptances and my PS was horrible, filled with spelling errors and grammar mistakes. I think schools don't even weigh it that much unless it's particularly good or bad. Mine was apparently good enough to be middle ground.
I'm pretty sure that adcoms realize you're not a robot.
This is why you don't look at your AMCAS after submitting it.
I didn't notice the typo my first time reading it. Don't worry about it.
I'm LOVING the friendly words of encouragement. Glad I could turn to SDN for some stress-relief and help. 🙂
I can't help but be antsy. I read it and literally stood up and screamed profanities.
I have refused to look at my personal statement since I submitted because I am convinced I will be in the same boat as you. That being said I can't say for certain but I am pretty sure they will all know what you meant 🙂 I wouldn't worry.
I didn't notice the typo my first time reading it. Don't worry about it.
Thanks everyone. Yes, even those who oh-so-sarcastically suggested I renounce myself and spend the rest of my life weaving baskets.
Thanks everyone. Yes, even those who oh-so-sarcastically suggested I renounce myself and spend the rest of my life weaving baskets.
Wait, if you know how to weave baskets, why are you applying to medical school? Stick with baskets, and you'll go far, kid.
/sarcasm?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
at least obama doesn't try to socialize basketweaving lololomglol /nilf
A service abroad trip where we visited and donated items at a maternity ward at a local hospital, distributed and discussed self-made pamphlets on HIV/safe sex to high school students, sponsored blood pressure measurements (I didn't take them myself, though), and visited an orphanage (is this clinical in nature?).
Thanks for any input!
Thanks for any input!
A service abroad trip where we visited and donated items at a maternity ward at a local hospital, distributed and discussed self-made pamphlets on HIV/safe sex to high school students, sponsored blood pressure measurements (I didn't take them myself, though), and visited an orphanage (is this clinical in nature?).
Thanks for any input!
I'd put it down as medical volunteering and describe it...those headings aren't too meaningful...as long as you're "volunteering"..it's good enough I think. Just be explicit in your explanation and they'll understand that you might have "accidentally mis-classified" something. It's a pretty grey area based on what you described...it can go either way ..but it does lean towards medical.
Should I list this activity?
Recreational Tennis and Distance Biking:
3 years of Recreational Tennis club: met weekly for indoor friendly matches, drills, and practice.
Won a local doubles tournament
Participated in 3 other tournaments that same summer (did not get far in draw)
Distance Biking: Rode across Iowa (RAGBRAI: Register's Annual Great Bike Ride Across Iowa): 550 miles in 7 days
The biking is worth mentioning for sure, but what about tennis? I don't want this to look like filler, but I have a true passion for tennis.
I also got arthroscopic rotator cuff surgery due to a tennis injury, should I mention this and the rehab I did for 2 years (it's certainly a medical thing that happened to me, but again I don't want to just add fluff)
I could add tennis to the Intramural Sports Activity I listed I suppose, and keep the biking separate.
Recreational Tennis and Distance Biking:
3 years of Recreational Tennis club: met weekly for indoor friendly matches, drills, and practice.
Won a local doubles tournament
Participated in 3 other tournaments that same summer (did not get far in draw)
Distance Biking: Rode across Iowa (RAGBRAI: Register's Annual Great Bike Ride Across Iowa): 550 miles in 7 days
The biking is worth mentioning for sure, but what about tennis? I don't want this to look like filler, but I have a true passion for tennis.
I also got arthroscopic rotator cuff surgery due to a tennis injury, should I mention this and the rehab I did for 2 years (it's certainly a medical thing that happened to me, but again I don't want to just add fluff)
I could add tennis to the Intramural Sports Activity I listed I suppose, and keep the biking separate.
Get them in... doesn't matter how you slice or lump them; these are relatively popular activities which means the chances are good that someone on the adcom or one of your interviewers will be engaged in one of those activities. (I can think of one adcom member who did a very long distance ride and another who would play tennis daily if it were possible given the workload in the hospital). This sort of thing makes you a little more 3D and real and human and interesting.
The heart of my personal statement is a story which comes from my personal experience. However, I am wondering why admins want to see extracurriculars sprinkled into the personal statement...
Every professor and premed advisor I handed my PS to said to emphasize my research and clinical experience. I do mention them here and there, however my advisors want me to devote entire paragraphs to my extracurriculars when the focus of the essay clearly does not revolve around them; it would sound discontinuous with bits of information sprinkled about.
I always thought that the reason why I wanted to become a doctor was more important than emphasizing my accomplishments (which they already are aware of). However, my advisors implied that it is the other way around:
"...the Personal Statement is an opportunity for you to emphasize actions you've taken to show you interest in medicine."
Does anyone agree with this statement?
Has anyone written a successful Personal Statement without strong emphasis on extracurriculars?
Every professor and premed advisor I handed my PS to said to emphasize my research and clinical experience. I do mention them here and there, however my advisors want me to devote entire paragraphs to my extracurriculars when the focus of the essay clearly does not revolve around them; it would sound discontinuous with bits of information sprinkled about.
I always thought that the reason why I wanted to become a doctor was more important than emphasizing my accomplishments (which they already are aware of). However, my advisors implied that it is the other way around:
"...the Personal Statement is an opportunity for you to emphasize actions you've taken to show you interest in medicine."
Does anyone agree with this statement?
Has anyone written a successful Personal Statement without strong emphasis on extracurriculars?
Make the description of your extracurriculars and achievements strong in the section of the app where you list and describe them. Don't clutter your PS with stuff like that.
If you have the money now and really want to get in this cycle, you should add the schools now. Send secondaries within 2, max 4 weeks of getting them. That way, once your MCAT scores roll in your file at schools will be complete.
Okay. But don't most schools screen pre-secondary and use the MCAT as a part of that process? Is there any way to find out which do and don't screen using the MCAT?
One of my mentors wanted me to open with how I felt when my first journal article submitted for publication was rejected. He said it showed me interest in research -- and how every physician/scientist has felt that pain and would "get" me. I decided not to go with that idea -- though I did test it out.
For my PS I did a mixture of why medicine but also why i would be a good fit for medicine. I kinda described in each paragraph the characteristic/quality that would make me a good physician. In order to do that though, I had to back it up with an example of what I have done already.
I think that's what everyone is trying to get you to do. They want you to verify what you are saying not by just words, but with an example. You can't really just say "I am a compassionate person" and expect medical school to believe you -- you need to give an example.
bottom line: You don't have to listen to all advice you are given -- but you should sprinkle your ECs in alittle bit just to give evidence that you aren't BSing
For my PS I did a mixture of why medicine but also why i would be a good fit for medicine. I kinda described in each paragraph the characteristic/quality that would make me a good physician. In order to do that though, I had to back it up with an example of what I have done already.
I think that's what everyone is trying to get you to do. They want you to verify what you are saying not by just words, but with an example. You can't really just say "I am a compassionate person" and expect medical school to believe you -- you need to give an example.
bottom line: You don't have to listen to all advice you are given -- but you should sprinkle your ECs in alittle bit just to give evidence that you aren't BSing
Make the description of your extracurriculars and achievements strong in the section of the app where you list and describe them. Don't clutter your PS with stuff like that.
Again, the PS is not the place to repeat your activities. If there was something meaningful in one of those experiences and you want expand on it, and it has some relevance to you becoming a doctor, then include it. Otherwise, write about something new.
Okay. But don't most schools screen pre-secondary and use the MCAT as a part of that process? Is there any way to find out which do and don't screen using the MCAT?
MSAR lists the info. But for the most part it's UCs that screen, most other schools send them to everyone.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thank you so much!!
On another note:
I was wondering if emotional or academic themes worked better?
-Emotional: "My family member...," "my conviction/mission (to make the world better)," "I've felt the need to... (better myself, etc...)"
-Academic: "self realization," "interested in the field," "want to continue learning"
I've been leaning towards emotional themes~
On another note:
I was wondering if emotional or academic themes worked better?
-Emotional: "My family member...," "my conviction/mission (to make the world better)," "I've felt the need to... (better myself, etc...)"
-Academic: "self realization," "interested in the field," "want to continue learning"
I've been leaning towards emotional themes~
umm... you'd multiple your avg # hrs/wk (for during the schoolyear) by 0.75 to get a 3/4 yr amount if the activity went multiple yrs. Many of us continued our research or clinical internships/experiences through the summer, so if you didn't you should probably specify a lower avg hrs/wk.
I'd write my hours per week and specify in the description when you worked. If you put in 200 hours of volunteering over two spring breaks, you're not gonna do 200 / 104 to get a 2 hour/week average.
I'd write my hours per week and specify in the description when you worked. If you put in 200 hours of volunteering over two spring breaks, you're not gonna do 200 / 104 to get a 2 hour/week average.
True. I think the way AMCAS sets it up is a bit poorly formatted, but maybe that's just me....
You mean you haven't started? It's way too late to start now I would wait for the next cycle.
Too late? It's ONLY July LOL SDN has over a million pimpled neurotic dudes. LOL
Disadvantaged status question:
I am a reapplicant and I am applying as a disadvantaged status. However, I did not apply as a disadvantaged last cycle. This was because I was not aware of sort of the criteria of a disadvantaged status. Now I do, and thus I want to reapply using this status. Do you think it will look strange or be frowned upon if I do it this cycle when I haven't done it in the previous cycle?
Thanks
I am a reapplicant and I am applying as a disadvantaged status. However, I did not apply as a disadvantaged last cycle. This was because I was not aware of sort of the criteria of a disadvantaged status. Now I do, and thus I want to reapply using this status. Do you think it will look strange or be frowned upon if I do it this cycle when I haven't done it in the previous cycle?
Thanks
2 questions
1) I haven't submitted my AMCAS yet but if I pick some schools and submit the application, can I go back and add more schools? Or do I have to make my definitive list before I submit.
2) I have a couple activities which I did for one summer (June-August 2008) and then a few months in 2009 (November and a few others). But on the Work/Activities I can only put start and end date. I don't want to put June 2008- November 2009 because I didn't do it for a continuous period like that. Should I just explain it in the description?
Ok I decided to add a third.
3) My Pre-Med advisor is saying that its already very late and I should have submitted a while ago (the AMCAS app)...is she right or just exaggerating?
1) I haven't submitted my AMCAS yet but if I pick some schools and submit the application, can I go back and add more schools? Or do I have to make my definitive list before I submit.
2) I have a couple activities which I did for one summer (June-August 2008) and then a few months in 2009 (November and a few others). But on the Work/Activities I can only put start and end date. I don't want to put June 2008- November 2009 because I didn't do it for a continuous period like that. Should I just explain it in the description?
Ok I decided to add a third.
3) My Pre-Med advisor is saying that its already very late and I should have submitted a while ago (the AMCAS app)...is she right or just exaggerating?
I was just wondering what medical schools considered to be science professors in regards to letters of recommendations? I know biology, chemistry, physics, etc, but I am MPH student and was wondering if any of my MPH professors would be considered science professors if they wrote me a letter? Thanks!
I didn't see anyone answer this already. Call or email every single school you apply to because each school has a different definition. For example, some of my schools will accept my neuroscience letter as science while others will not.
Good Luck!
I didn't see anyone answer this already. Call or email every single school you apply to because each school has a different definition. For example, some of my schools will accept my neuroscience letter as science while others will not.
Good Luck!
Uh, what kind of school doesn't accept a letter from a neuroscience professor as a science rec???? 😱
2 questions
1) I haven't submitted my AMCAS yet but if I pick some schools and submit the application, can I go back and add more schools? Or do I have to make my definitive list before I submit.
2) I have a couple activities which I did for one summer (June-August 2008) and then a few months in 2009 (November and a few others). But on the Work/Activities I can only put start and end date. I don't want to put June 2008- November 2009 because I didn't do it for a continuous period like that. Should I just explain it in the description?
Ok I decided to add a third.
3) My Pre-Med advisor is saying that its already very late and I should have submitted a while ago (the AMCAS app)...is she right or just exaggerating?
1. You can add additional schools once you've submitted the initial AMCAS application ... it'll take about a day or so for your info to get transmitted to them once you're verified
2. I would actually put it exactly like that ... AMCAS specifically asks for when you started and ended an activity, and so you should put June 2008 - Nov. 2009. However, definitely mention in your description that it wasn't a continuous period .. I don't see how you would make note of the additional time any other way
3. She's exaggerating, but it's still getting to the point in the cycle when you should apply as soon as possible. I applied 3rd week of June and had to wait 2 weeks to get verified .. I imagine that wait is at least a little longer now .. and given everything is rolling, the earlier you submit your primary, the earlier you get secondaries etc etc ..
G'luck!
1. Yes, you can add more schools later.2 questions
1) I haven't submitted my AMCAS yet but if I pick some schools and submit the application, can I go back and add more schools? Or do I have to make my definitive list before I submit.
2) I have a couple activities which I did for one summer (June-August 2008) and then a few months in 2009 (November and a few others). But on the Work/Activities I can only put start and end date. I don't want to put June 2008- November 2009 because I didn't do it for a continuous period like that. Should I just explain it in the description?
Ok I decided to add a third.
3) My Pre-Med advisor is saying that its already very late and I should have submitted a while ago (the AMCAS app)...is she right or just exaggerating?
2. Yes; Just put overall start and end date then put specifics in the description.
3. I don't know what "very late" is, but you should submit as soon as you can. At this time it takes several weeks for your application to be verified. However, if you spend those several weeks pre-writing your secondaries so that you have an instantaneous turn around when you get them, I don't think you will really be losing much time.
I have received a little more than half of the secondaries that I should be getting; so it is not like you would have had every single secondary completed and submitted by now even if you were already complete. Don't waste your time worrying about something that you can't change now; just submit as soon as you can and start writing essays🙂 Good luck!
Hahaha, 2050, you ninja'd me!!! And....said almost exactly what I said😉 

Note: I have this post in another thread, but it is much more relevant here:
A few questions very much related.
In my essay I mention orthopedics and baseball-related injuries. I love the sport and have played all my life and have been a volunteer coach for years and it is the basis of my essay. I discuss how the interest came about, how I want to continue to carry this throughout medicine and how I want to "make a difference/be influential, etc."
The problem is that I have not shadowed an orthopedic surgeon and will not be until the 1st week of August (1 week--50 hours). I have seen orthopedic-related surgeries first hand, but have not follow an orthopedic surgeon for an extended period of time. I also talk about how my older brother, who was a mech. engineer major, did a co-op with an orthopedics company and was given surgery DVDs that I've watched (knee, hip replacements, prosthetics, etc). So I have clinical volunteer experience in an ER, have witness surgeries in an OR and my field related surgeries on video. But I don't have first hand experience with an orthopedic surgeon and my externship doesn't start until August, when my current research internship is over.
So here are my questions:
1. Do I wait until I finish this shadowing, add it into my application and essay and submit after the 1st week of August (can hinder my application chances)?
2. If I choose to submit now, will my essay be looked down upon because I don't have the specific experience, even though I've done everything else (been involved in the sport, had clinical and surgery-viewing expereince, etc)?
3. If I do submit now, how do I had this extenship to my application? Do I edit and add it in on the primary application? Will I have to get verified again? Does it go on the secondary?
Thanks to all who help.
A few questions very much related.
In my essay I mention orthopedics and baseball-related injuries. I love the sport and have played all my life and have been a volunteer coach for years and it is the basis of my essay. I discuss how the interest came about, how I want to continue to carry this throughout medicine and how I want to "make a difference/be influential, etc."
The problem is that I have not shadowed an orthopedic surgeon and will not be until the 1st week of August (1 week--50 hours). I have seen orthopedic-related surgeries first hand, but have not follow an orthopedic surgeon for an extended period of time. I also talk about how my older brother, who was a mech. engineer major, did a co-op with an orthopedics company and was given surgery DVDs that I've watched (knee, hip replacements, prosthetics, etc). So I have clinical volunteer experience in an ER, have witness surgeries in an OR and my field related surgeries on video. But I don't have first hand experience with an orthopedic surgeon and my externship doesn't start until August, when my current research internship is over.
So here are my questions:
1. Do I wait until I finish this shadowing, add it into my application and essay and submit after the 1st week of August (can hinder my application chances)?
2. If I choose to submit now, will my essay be looked down upon because I don't have the specific experience, even though I've done everything else (been involved in the sport, had clinical and surgery-viewing expereince, etc)?
3. If I do submit now, how do I had this extenship to my application? Do I edit and add it in on the primary application? Will I have to get verified again? Does it go on the secondary?
Thanks to all who help.
My two cents:
No, submit now. If you listed the surgeries you saw in your work/activities section as shadowing then you'll be fine.1. Do I wait until I finish this shadowing, add it into my application and essay and submit after the 1st week of August (can hinder my application chances)?
No.2. If I choose to submit now, will my essay be looked down upon because I don't have the specific experience, even though I've done everything else (been involved in the sport, had clinical and surgery-viewing expereince, etc)?
You can't. Once you submit the only things you can change are name, address, phone number type stuff. If you made those types of changes you would have to get verified again but that typically only takes a day. Yes, put it on your secondaries. If you send them in after you start then write about the shadowing experience up to that point.3. If I do submit now, how do I had this extenship to my application? Do I edit and add it in on the primary application? Will I have to get verified again? Does it go on the secondary?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Before sending in my primary, I decided it'd be a good idea to double check my volunteer hours at a clinic. Volunteers here don't have set hours, but log in the number of hours they plan on doing electronically.
The volunteer coordinator got back to me and gave me a much lower number than I was expecting. He emailed me and said "we have x hours recorded for you, but you probably have more". I figured the "probably have more" might mean that he clears the log from time to time (I've been there for about 3 years), but when I asked he didn't really respond, just said "this is the number of hours we have recorded, so just estimate based on your needs" 🙂confused🙂.
Since I never recorded my own hours for personal use, I have no clue if I just grossly overestimated the amount of time I've spent there, or if there's something up with their computer system.
Any thoughts on what to write on AMCAS?
The volunteer coordinator got back to me and gave me a much lower number than I was expecting. He emailed me and said "we have x hours recorded for you, but you probably have more". I figured the "probably have more" might mean that he clears the log from time to time (I've been there for about 3 years), but when I asked he didn't really respond, just said "this is the number of hours we have recorded, so just estimate based on your needs" 🙂confused🙂.
Since I never recorded my own hours for personal use, I have no clue if I just grossly overestimated the amount of time I've spent there, or if there's something up with their computer system.
Any thoughts on what to write on AMCAS?
Put the hours that you actually volunteered on AMCAS. It is essentially an honors system. The specific number of hours is somewhat arbitrary. The number will get you an interview; in the interview, you will discuss the meaningful experience you had volunteering for 100 hours (as opposed to the meaningless experience you had over 50 hours).
You probably have fewer hours than you thought. But hey, you were there for three years. That kind of consistency is appreciated. Don't feel any shame at putting down the hours you had recorded, and assume the margin of error is maybe 25 hours.
Good luck!
Good luck!
1000 hrs. They'll never know.Before sending in my primary, I decided it'd be a good idea to double check my volunteer hours at a clinic. Volunteers here don't have set hours, but log in the number of hours they plan on doing electronically.
The volunteer coordinator got back to me and gave me a much lower number than I was expecting. He emailed me and said "we have x hours recorded for you, but you probably have more". I figured the "probably have more" might mean that he clears the log from time to time (I've been there for about 3 years), but when I asked he didn't really respond, just said "this is the number of hours we have recorded, so just estimate based on your needs" 🙂confused🙂.
Since I never recorded my own hours for personal use, I have no clue if I just grossly overestimated the amount of time I've spent there, or if there's something up with their computer system.
Any thoughts on what to write on AMCAS?
When entering a letter on AMCAS, you are asked if it is from a school or not - if you worked at a school but didn't go there (ie postbac research position at a university in my case) do you still say its from a school, or when they ask that do they mean from somewhere where you took class?
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 30
- Views
- 7K
- Replies
- 88
- Views
- 12K
- Replies
- 98
- Views
- 26K
- Replies
- 8
- Views
- 2K