-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
*-*-*The Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2011*-*-*
Started by JJMrK
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
So I posted a thread with the following issue and would like more responses:
Here's the thing. You probably didn't hear about this, but the whole University of Puerto Rico system was on strike for two months approximately. The reason: budget cuts that affect the offering of courses in school, lower the number of professor, etc. But they added 3 more members to the board of trustees and have now imposed a supposedly permanent special fee of $800 per year. I know some people think it's ridiculous because my school credit goes for about $47. However most students in PR depend completely on the Pell Grant to pay for the tuition, housing, food, gas and other stuff and this fee would set them back. I, for one, do not think that students should pay for a lousy administration of the money (I mean it in a figurative way). I am not going to go into more detail on this, because it might end up in a debate which I'm really not in the mood for.
This fee is set to begin in January, which would be on my last semester as an undergraduate. UPR students in general are against that fee and we are completely sure another strike will come on the spring 2011 semester. Right now my campus hasn't even finished the spring semester because the 2010 Central American Games will be held in the city and my campus has several facilities which they need to use.
If a strike were to take place that early, I'm sure it would be long and frustrating, so that would mean I will not actually be able finish my degree in time to continue to medical school.
As a possible solution for this, I have been thinking of taking a special permit from my school to do the Spring 2011 semester at a private institution. I don't really want to delay my Med School admission. My fear is that AMCAS cannot be edited, and I already entered the classes I would've taken if I went to UPR.
How do I deal with doing my last semester in another institution that is not the one that will grant my degree? How do you think this could affect my application? Is my plan completely out of the question or do you think it's valid?
Also, my spring grades aren't obviously given yet, how do I deal with this in AMCAS? I haven't actually sent the transcript because I wasn't sure. The grades won't probably be up until late August. Do I send the transcript as it is now and then update or do I wait for the semester to end and then send it with the spring grades?
Please help. I'm sorry for the long post, it is a difficult situation.
Here's the thing. You probably didn't hear about this, but the whole University of Puerto Rico system was on strike for two months approximately. The reason: budget cuts that affect the offering of courses in school, lower the number of professor, etc. But they added 3 more members to the board of trustees and have now imposed a supposedly permanent special fee of $800 per year. I know some people think it's ridiculous because my school credit goes for about $47. However most students in PR depend completely on the Pell Grant to pay for the tuition, housing, food, gas and other stuff and this fee would set them back. I, for one, do not think that students should pay for a lousy administration of the money (I mean it in a figurative way). I am not going to go into more detail on this, because it might end up in a debate which I'm really not in the mood for.
This fee is set to begin in January, which would be on my last semester as an undergraduate. UPR students in general are against that fee and we are completely sure another strike will come on the spring 2011 semester. Right now my campus hasn't even finished the spring semester because the 2010 Central American Games will be held in the city and my campus has several facilities which they need to use.
If a strike were to take place that early, I'm sure it would be long and frustrating, so that would mean I will not actually be able finish my degree in time to continue to medical school.
As a possible solution for this, I have been thinking of taking a special permit from my school to do the Spring 2011 semester at a private institution. I don't really want to delay my Med School admission. My fear is that AMCAS cannot be edited, and I already entered the classes I would've taken if I went to UPR.
How do I deal with doing my last semester in another institution that is not the one that will grant my degree? How do you think this could affect my application? Is my plan completely out of the question or do you think it's valid?
Also, my spring grades aren't obviously given yet, how do I deal with this in AMCAS? I haven't actually sent the transcript because I wasn't sure. The grades won't probably be up until late August. Do I send the transcript as it is now and then update or do I wait for the semester to end and then send it with the spring grades?
Please help. I'm sorry for the long post, it is a difficult situation.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello Everybody
I have a question about a personal statement. I heard and read that including stuff from your work/activities section in the personal statement is a no-no. What if I would like to include for example some stuff from my volunteering in the essay, even though I already included it in the activities, it would be an addition to the main point, but I wouldn't base my essay on that. Would this hurt me? Should I leave it out and focus on things I didn't mention in my activities?
Thank you
I have a question about a personal statement. I heard and read that including stuff from your work/activities section in the personal statement is a no-no. What if I would like to include for example some stuff from my volunteering in the essay, even though I already included it in the activities, it would be an addition to the main point, but I wouldn't base my essay on that. Would this hurt me? Should I leave it out and focus on things I didn't mention in my activities?
Thank you
It's not really a "no-no" to include stuff from your work/activities section in your personal statement. I think when people are talking about not including work/activities in your personal statement, they're talking about personal statements that completely repeat stuff from the activities section or seem to just list all of the activities in a nonsensical fashion.Hello Everybody
I have a question about a personal statement. I heard and read that including stuff from your work/activities section in the personal statement is a no-no. What if I would like to include for example some stuff from my volunteering in the essay, even though I already included it in the activities, it would be an addition to the main point, but I wouldn't base my essay on that. Would this hurt me? Should I leave it out and focus on things I didn't mention in my activities?
Thank you
If you have an activity that influenced your decision to go into medicine and can talk about why it did so, you should include it.
Merging related threads.
Merging related threads.
See, you do this, and now I can kiss off getting more than 2 opinions on my question. On top of that, this probably would have been 0 opinions had I originally posted in this mega-thread.
Hi. I know I should have submitted my application by now, but minor complications kept coming up. Hopefully these are the last ones (either way, short of the coming of the apocalypse, I'm sending in my application by the end of the day Wednesday):
1) I'm not sure what box to check for coursework for which I do not yet have a grade. I studied at abroad this past year (foreign university, so no transcript required) and my grades for the year won't be released until the end of July or August. I contacted AMCAS and they told me to list said courses as "current/future," but I am wondering now if they misunderstood my situation and whether they should really be listed as "no record"? (I plan to call AMCAS about this first thing tomorrow, but thought I'd get some additional opinions)
2) I've completed all my prereqs, so is there any real advantage to entering my future courses for the coming year? I have no idea what I'm taking in the spring and, due to some changes in faculty, my fall schedule is a bit up in the air and, while I understand that the list is non-binding, I'm wondering whether it would make more sense just to send med schools a letter of update listing my courses when I know what they are in the fall.
1) I'm not sure what box to check for coursework for which I do not yet have a grade. I studied at abroad this past year (foreign university, so no transcript required) and my grades for the year won't be released until the end of July or August. I contacted AMCAS and they told me to list said courses as "current/future," but I am wondering now if they misunderstood my situation and whether they should really be listed as "no record"? (I plan to call AMCAS about this first thing tomorrow, but thought I'd get some additional opinions)
2) I've completed all my prereqs, so is there any real advantage to entering my future courses for the coming year? I have no idea what I'm taking in the spring and, due to some changes in faculty, my fall schedule is a bit up in the air and, while I understand that the list is non-binding, I'm wondering whether it would make more sense just to send med schools a letter of update listing my courses when I know what they are in the fall.
Hi. I know I should have submitted my application by now, but minor complications kept coming up. Hopefully these are the last ones (either way, short of the coming of the apocalypse, I'm sending in my application by the end of the day Wednesday):
1) I'm not sure what box to check for coursework for which I do not yet have a grade. I studied at abroad this past year (foreign university, so no transcript required) and my grades for the year won't be released until the end of July or August. I contacted AMCAS and they told me to list said courses as "current/future," but I am wondering now if they misunderstood my situation and whether they should really be listed as "no record"? (I plan to call AMCAS about this first thing tomorrow, but thought I'd get some additional opinions)
2) I've completed all my prereqs, so is there any real advantage to entering my future courses for the coming year? I have no idea what I'm taking in the spring and, due to some changes in faculty, my fall schedule is a bit up in the air and, while I understand that the list is non-binding, I'm wondering whether it would make more sense just to send med schools a letter of update listing my courses when I know what they are in the fall.
1. No clue. The whole "foreign university so no transcript required" thing is something I haven't dealt with, so I don't even want to try to guess. Call them in the morning.
2. The advantage is that they know you will be attending school full time and not panhandling, and they won't be expecting other stories/information from you. Others who have applied in previous years can chime in on this but I would think that you should consider this as the perfect opportunity to give them an update. List what you think you will be taking. Then, later, when it changes, send them a letter, say you love them, and what you ended up taking. It isn't set in stone.
Before sending in my primary, I decided it'd be a good idea to double check my volunteer hours at a clinic. Volunteers here don't have set hours, but log in the number of hours they plan on doing electronically.
The volunteer coordinator got back to me and gave me a much lower number than I was expecting. He emailed me and said "we have x hours recorded for you, but you probably have more". I figured the "probably have more" might mean that he clears the log from time to time (I've been there for about 3 years), but when I asked he didn't really respond, just said "this is the number of hours we have recorded, so just estimate based on your needs" 🙂confused🙂.
Since I never recorded my own hours for personal use, I have no clue if I just grossly overestimated the amount of time I've spent there, or if there's something up with their computer system.
Any thoughts on what to write on AMCAS?
See, you do this, and now I can kiss off getting more than 2 opinions on my question. On top of that, this probably would have been 0 opinions had I originally posted in this mega-thread.
You know, I actually was going to post on this. Then I read your comment after the threads were merged and I got a little ticked. There was a better way to try to ask for what you needed. All you had to do was repost your question and ask if anyone else had any opinions. A little tip from me to you: the mods aren't your enemy. And you might want to be careful (in life) of who you decide is your enemy, because with that kind of attitude, people aren't going to want to help you.
With that being said, for what little it is worth, I will offer my opinion. I agree with an above poster that volunteer hours are usually less than you think they are. However, your supervisor seems very unsure what your hours actually were. So I would say put down what you estimated and note the duration. It is true that less hours but a 3 year commitment is worth more than more hours and a 2 month commitment. If you think you have more write what you think. No one is double checking; be as honest as you can, and that is the most anyone can ask of you. There is no magical number to hit, and nickel and diming your hours really shouldn't be necessary, especially if you have something to say about your experiences there.
You know, I actually was going to post on this. Then I read your comment after the threads were merged and I got a little ticked. There was a better way to try to ask for what you needed. All you had to do was repost your question and ask if anyone else had any opinions. A little tip from me to you: the mods aren't your enemy. And you might want to be careful (in life) of who you decide is your enemy, because with that kind of attitude, people aren't going to want to help you.
With that being said, for what little it is worth, I will offer my opinion. I agree with an above poster that volunteer hours are usually less than you think they are. However, your supervisor seems very unsure what your hours actually were. So I would say put down what you estimated and note the duration. It is true that less hours but a 3 year commitment is worth more than more hours and a 2 month commitment. If you think you have more write what you think. No one is double checking; be as honest as you can, and that is the most anyone can ask of you. There is no magical number to hit, and nickel and diming your hours really shouldn't be necessary, especially if you have something to say about your experiences there.
Thanks for your thoughts on my question. I'll probably do what you recommended. I calculated the number of hours/week it would be even with the lower-than-expected hours, and it looks like AMCAS will end up rounding it up, anyway.
Regarding the first part: I know the mods aren't my enemies. I don't take the internet seriously enough to make anyone my enemy. Internet forums also don't translate to real life. I was really just making a point about why I created a thread instead of posting in this one. I've tried posting multiple times in this thread with other questions, and never once received a response, which is what happens in massive threads like this where a post is easily buried. It also, IMO, makes discussions more difficult to find for others with similar questions. That said, I intended the comment to be more tongue-in-cheek than it read, I guess. Oh well...
Situation: Exam date set for August 19, 2010
Issue: Will this late date affect Interview opportunity and Acceptances?
Background: So, I was will submit the AMCAS application with my personal statement without the MCAT score this week (AAMC informed me that the scores will directly get uploaded after the exam). First off, is this considered "late"? And will it affect my interview opportunities?
I have a GPA of 4.0 and hoping to get a score above 35 (fingers crossed); but I'm wondering whether this is all in vain, as the release date of the exam will be three weeks after the 19th.
What should I do? Has anyone been in this situation?
Issue: Will this late date affect Interview opportunity and Acceptances?
Background: So, I was will submit the AMCAS application with my personal statement without the MCAT score this week (AAMC informed me that the scores will directly get uploaded after the exam). First off, is this considered "late"? And will it affect my interview opportunities?
I have a GPA of 4.0 and hoping to get a score above 35 (fingers crossed); but I'm wondering whether this is all in vain, as the release date of the exam will be three weeks after the 19th.
What should I do? Has anyone been in this situation?
I'm on the same boat. My top choice is MUSC, I have kept in contact with the dean of admissions for a while now, and asked her if this could affect my chances, and she said not really. But then again, that's one school, one opinion.Part of it depends on whether the school has rolling admissions or not.
I should mention my circumstances are a bit atypical. I had to apply for accommodations and the process was delayed, therefore I had to change my date to an august date, which I'm not too thrilled about.
I should mention my circumstances are a bit atypical. I had to apply for accommodations and the process was delayed, therefore I had to change my date to an august date, which I'm not too thrilled about.
Oh actually I didn't answer your first question. There is nothing to do, except to do well on the MCAT. If you apply to enough schools with a good MCAT, assuming you have solid ECs and all that, I think you should be fine.
But to put things in perspective. Worst case scenario: You don't get anywhere partly because of your MCAT scores being late. Assuming you did well on them. You apply really early next year, and will probably get in somewhere. Do you think when you're 60 or 70 you'll say, "Damn, I wish I would have gotten accepted the first time, the one extra year ruined my life" ? No, you won't. So chill out. I think you'll be fine though.
But to put things in perspective. Worst case scenario: You don't get anywhere partly because of your MCAT scores being late. Assuming you did well on them. You apply really early next year, and will probably get in somewhere. Do you think when you're 60 or 70 you'll say, "Damn, I wish I would have gotten accepted the first time, the one extra year ruined my life" ? No, you won't. So chill out. I think you'll be fine though.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
When I go to print my application after it has been verified, there is a column titled "AMCAS Use" to the very right of the Course Work section. There is a slash for every class except for a couple. What does this box mean if there is an "X" instead? I'm concerned because I have X's for Physics 1 and lab which I took at a CC over summer. Is this going to be a problem with schools?
I just submitted mine. Am I too late?
Also, I take my MCAT on August 24th. Is that too late as well?
Pre-write your secondaries and submit them minutes after you get them. You can make up a lot of time that way.
There is nothing you can do about the timing now, so instead of stressing about it, just do everything you can to make it up. Many schools will give you a secondary without your MCAT or being verified, so be prepared for that too.
Even with your stats applying this late will likely be detrimental. By the time you get your scores and are thus complete, which will be at the end of August, many schools will probably have interviewed at least some applicants.
Assuming the rest of your app is solid I'm sure you'll still get in but it will probably affect you IMO.
Assuming the rest of your app is solid I'm sure you'll still get in but it will probably affect you IMO.
Grrr. So I've had this huge issue where AMCAS/my ugrad messed up and somehow decided I never graduated. It's been dragging on for a while and I was verified a good few weeks ago. Essentially, the consequence is that my course layout is wrong (my postbacc classes still count as senior year, even though they were taken a few years after graduating etc.). Luckily, my c/sGPA is unaffected, but it's still a pain and makes my application confusing (I have a 4 year-long, 2 institution senior year spanning like 60 credits haha). Anyways, after going back and forth for a while with my school and AMCAS, I think it's finally going to be sorted out this week. I'm not complete anywhere because my letters have not gone out, BUT, I have submitted secondaries to several places already. Once I get my primary fixed, will schools automatically know that something changed and they need to switch out the old for the new? Do I have to get in touch with every school that got my primary/sent me a secondary and let them know? Just not sure how to go forward with this--thanks for any advice/knowledge about this!
I'm on the same boat. My top choice is MUSC, I have kept in contact with the dean of admissions for a while now, and asked her if this could affect my chances, and she said not really. But then again, that's one school, one opinion.Part of it depends on whether the school has rolling admissions or not.
Woot MUSC! That's all. 🙂
hello
It says some medical schools like to find out about your family. I dont want to fill out the brother/sister/parents section, seems like a waste of time. Will not filling out these sections hurt my chances?
It says some medical schools like to find out about your family. I dont want to fill out the brother/sister/parents section, seems like a waste of time. Will not filling out these sections hurt my chances?
It's not really a "no-no" to include stuff from your work/activities section in your personal statement. I think when people are talking about not including work/activities in your personal statement, they're talking about personal statements that completely repeat stuff from the activities section or seem to just list all of the activities in a nonsensical fashion.
If you have an activity that influenced your decision to go into medicine and can talk about why it did so, you should include it.
Thank you Bobsmith for clarifying it for me
hello
It says some medical schools like to find out about your family. I dont want to fill out the brother/sister/parents section, seems like a waste of time. Will not filling out these sections hurt my chances?
Doubtful. It shouldn't matter. Then again, it will only take you 5 minutes.
Ok, on my primary AMCAS, I have two activities under Artistic Endeavors (Activities A and B)
I copied the A description for BOTH sections. Ive obviously already submitted and just noticed it right now.
i did a search and read that we should be able to make the appropriate changes once we are verified? I just wanted to confirm if this is 100% true?
and if so, how would i go about this? do i just call AMCAS and ask them if I can make the changes?
thanks everyone. i got a little heated right now, but im trying to tell myself it will be okay...
I copied the A description for BOTH sections. Ive obviously already submitted and just noticed it right now.
i did a search and read that we should be able to make the appropriate changes once we are verified? I just wanted to confirm if this is 100% true?
and if so, how would i go about this? do i just call AMCAS and ask them if I can make the changes?
thanks everyone. i got a little heated right now, but im trying to tell myself it will be okay...
Ok, on my primary AMCAS, I have two activities under Artistic Endeavors (Activities A and B)
I copied the A description for BOTH sections. Ive obviously already submitted and just noticed it right now.
i did a search and read that we should be able to make the appropriate changes once we are verified? I just wanted to confirm if this is 100% true?
and if so, how would i go about this? do i just call AMCAS and ask them if I can make the changes?
thanks everyone. i got a little heated right now, but im trying to tell myself it will be okay...
I'm not sure you'll be able to go back and change it but it's not like admissions committees have never seen typos before. Besides, most secondaries will have you either relist all your activities or talk about your activities in some sort of question.
I know you're probably going to anyway, but I wouldn't worry about it. It's not a game changer moment
You won't be able to change this at all. The only things you'll be allowed to change are contact info, your school list, and your.LORs.
I
Ilvcurst
It isn't going to make or break you so don't worry about it 👍
Hi All,
I know there is an entire forum devoted to this, but I couldn'y find a good response.
I started a great part time research position in March, and would like to include it in my current AMCAS application. The problem is my list is already full from the last application cycle and I could use some advice as to how to fit it in. I'm not going to cut and paste all my activities, but I would like to run a possible solution by you all:
I currently have 2 separate entries for a previous research position: one is a work description, the other includes 2 abstract citations based from his research for a poster presentation at the Society for Neuroscience.
I was thinking to merge these two by referencing the poster presentation/abstract in my research description entry. I have heard people advise creating two separate entries in this situation, as I've done. My rationale for merging them is 1) Although I was present at the conference, I did not present, 2) my name is in a sea of others in the 2 abstract citations, 3) honestly, since I was a lowly tech at the time, I would be much more comfortable discussing the general concepts of my research if asked in an interview. I feel like if you list a citation (publication or poster abstract), you should be prepared to answer more in depth questions.
Anyway, my opinion is that in this case, my new research job would trump the poster abstract entry. Any thoughts?? If it helps, I already have another entry with a journal publication (2nd author).
I know there is an entire forum devoted to this, but I couldn'y find a good response.
I started a great part time research position in March, and would like to include it in my current AMCAS application. The problem is my list is already full from the last application cycle and I could use some advice as to how to fit it in. I'm not going to cut and paste all my activities, but I would like to run a possible solution by you all:
I currently have 2 separate entries for a previous research position: one is a work description, the other includes 2 abstract citations based from his research for a poster presentation at the Society for Neuroscience.
I was thinking to merge these two by referencing the poster presentation/abstract in my research description entry. I have heard people advise creating two separate entries in this situation, as I've done. My rationale for merging them is 1) Although I was present at the conference, I did not present, 2) my name is in a sea of others in the 2 abstract citations, 3) honestly, since I was a lowly tech at the time, I would be much more comfortable discussing the general concepts of my research if asked in an interview. I feel like if you list a citation (publication or poster abstract), you should be prepared to answer more in depth questions.
Anyway, my opinion is that in this case, my new research job would trump the poster abstract entry. Any thoughts?? If it helps, I already have another entry with a journal publication (2nd author).
And your last MCAT test date.You won't be able to change this at all. The only things you'll be allowed to change are contact info, your school list, and your.LORs.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
After submission of your primary to one school can you change your personal statement for the rest?
So the my application for the most part is done, the thing really left is getting my personal statement where I really want it to be. My school has a deadline I have to meet for my committee letter to be sent by a certain time (I just have to submit, not necessarily be verified by then). I am considering applying to 1 school for both the letter and verification. On the EC part of the Amcas it said I won't be able to change it after submitting but how about the personal essay? I seem to remember hearing "try to cater your essay to the schools mission statement" or something along those lines. So if I added schools later (before or after verification) on would I be able to give a different essay?
Rather not do this but I see it as paying $31 for my application to be done a month earlier (that's the difference if I make the deadline for the committee letter to complete my future secondaries).
So the my application for the most part is done, the thing really left is getting my personal statement where I really want it to be. My school has a deadline I have to meet for my committee letter to be sent by a certain time (I just have to submit, not necessarily be verified by then). I am considering applying to 1 school for both the letter and verification. On the EC part of the Amcas it said I won't be able to change it after submitting but how about the personal essay? I seem to remember hearing "try to cater your essay to the schools mission statement" or something along those lines. So if I added schools later (before or after verification) on would I be able to give a different essay?
Rather not do this but I see it as paying $31 for my application to be done a month earlier (that's the difference if I make the deadline for the committee letter to complete my future secondaries).
. So if I added schools later (before or after verification) on would I be able to give a different essay?
Sadly, no. Once you submit you can't tinker with any of that stuff-activities or essay.
AP Credit Question:
I took AP classes in HS (2004, 2005), was accepted into my current undergraduate institution, and then deferred for 2 years. Now, upon time to submit my application, I discovered that my AP credit was not on my transcript. I contacted Collegeboard 2 weeks ago and the grades just came in since they were so old that they were archived.
My transcript lists all 5 AP classes, only two of which I'm getting credit for. How do I mark these on my application?
Right now I have them listed as Fall semester (2010-2011) because that is how they appear on my transcript. I also have year in school marked as high school, since I was in high school when I took them. For calculus and stats, which I get credit, I have grade listed as 5.00 (my AP score) and credit listed as 4.00 (credit hours)
For bio, chem, and physics (none of which i get credit for but they are on my transcript), I listed 5.00 (the AP score) as the grade, and 0.0 for the number of credits.
I then checked Pass/Fail for all 5 since I could not click on AP credit. So is this all ok and will AMCAS know what I am talking about?
It all just seems kind of awkward saying I just got the credit now, took the classes in high school years ago, and then can't even mark them as AP, even though in the course title they say AP. Thanks.
I took AP classes in HS (2004, 2005), was accepted into my current undergraduate institution, and then deferred for 2 years. Now, upon time to submit my application, I discovered that my AP credit was not on my transcript. I contacted Collegeboard 2 weeks ago and the grades just came in since they were so old that they were archived.
My transcript lists all 5 AP classes, only two of which I'm getting credit for. How do I mark these on my application?
Right now I have them listed as Fall semester (2010-2011) because that is how they appear on my transcript. I also have year in school marked as high school, since I was in high school when I took them. For calculus and stats, which I get credit, I have grade listed as 5.00 (my AP score) and credit listed as 4.00 (credit hours)
For bio, chem, and physics (none of which i get credit for but they are on my transcript), I listed 5.00 (the AP score) as the grade, and 0.0 for the number of credits.
I then checked Pass/Fail for all 5 since I could not click on AP credit. So is this all ok and will AMCAS know what I am talking about?
It all just seems kind of awkward saying I just got the credit now, took the classes in high school years ago, and then can't even mark them as AP, even though in the course title they say AP. Thanks.
so ive done some reading on this forum about whether certain classes of mine will count toward bcpm on the amcas application...and im pleased in some cases, and not in others
so some of the psyc classes ive taken and will take later on can technically count toward bcpm...but those also include ones in which ive gotten B+/B-, and i really dont want to count those since they'll just drop my sgpa...so i was wondering...when you list your classes on the amcas application, does it decide for you whether it will count the class toward bcpm ? or do you click a box or something and tell it whether it's a bcpm ? cuz it would be great if i could just count the psyc classes i did bad in as just psyc, and not have them crosslisted as some bio class and count toward my sgpa only to make it drop =/
i havent looked at the amcas application...im a rising junior
so some of the psyc classes ive taken and will take later on can technically count toward bcpm...but those also include ones in which ive gotten B+/B-, and i really dont want to count those since they'll just drop my sgpa...so i was wondering...when you list your classes on the amcas application, does it decide for you whether it will count the class toward bcpm ? or do you click a box or something and tell it whether it's a bcpm ? cuz it would be great if i could just count the psyc classes i did bad in as just psyc, and not have them crosslisted as some bio class and count toward my sgpa only to make it drop =/
i havent looked at the amcas application...im a rising junior
A professor wrote a letter for me last summer for my fellowship. I asked him if he could update it for my application this year, and after 2 emails he said he'd be happy to do it (he didn't see the first one 🙄). I said June 10th was the deadline, and now, more than a month later... no letter. I've sent 2 reminder emails and a card. =/
Thoughts? More emails, even though that's been ineffective so far? Is it okay to call my professor using his office phone, or is that invasive? What bugs me the most is that he has basically already written the letter; he just needs to revise it slightly for medical school. =/
Thanks in advance 🙂
Thoughts? More emails, even though that's been ineffective so far? Is it okay to call my professor using his office phone, or is that invasive? What bugs me the most is that he has basically already written the letter; he just needs to revise it slightly for medical school. =/
Thanks in advance 🙂
Hi guys,
I received several incompletes during my junior year because my grandpa passed away a week before my finals and I went home for the funeral. Would you recommend for me to explain this in my personal statement in the AMCAS or in the secondaries?
Thanks
I received several incompletes during my junior year because my grandpa passed away a week before my finals and I went home for the funeral. Would you recommend for me to explain this in my personal statement in the AMCAS or in the secondaries?
Thanks
so ive done some reading on this forum about whether certain classes of mine will count toward bcpm on the amcas application...and im pleased in some cases, and not in others
so some of the psyc classes ive taken and will take later on can technically count toward bcpm...but those also include ones in which ive gotten B+/B-, and i really dont want to count those since they'll just drop my sgpa...so i was wondering...when you list your classes on the amcas application, does it decide for you whether it will count the class toward bcpm ? or do you click a box or something and tell it whether it's a bcpm ? cuz it would be great if i could just count the psyc classes i did bad in as just psyc, and not have them crosslisted as some bio class and count toward my sgpa only to make it drop =/
i havent looked at the amcas application...im a rising junior
It decides for you.

For a psych course to count, it has to be neuroscience related IMO. In that case you can mark it as BIOLogy and AMCAS will not change it to BESS(behavioral/social science).so some of the psyc classes ive taken and will take later on can technically count toward bcpm...but those also include ones in which ive gotten B+/B-, and i really dont want to count those since they'll just drop my sgpa...so i was wondering...when you list your classes on the amcas application, does it decide for you whether it will count the class toward bcpm ? or do you click a box or something and tell it whether it's a bcpm ? cuz it would be great if i could just count the psyc classes i did bad in as just psyc, and not have them crosslisted as some bio class and count toward my sgpa only to make it drop =/
You can attempt to be sneaky and label some psych courses as BIOL and some as BESS (the ones that you don't want to affect your sGPA). AMCAS may let this slide.... or they might change it to the proper course type. It probably won't hurt to try.
You get to categorize them and say "this is bio" "this is psych" etc. But the reason they have people verify the info you submit is so you can't just count your math class as "art" so you don't have to add that C into your bcpm gpa. You may get away with a couple, but you'll still be a tool🙄
haha thanks guys...the classes im worried about right now are "drugs and behavior" which was basically all neuroscience....and cognitive psychology, which had somewhat of a neuroscience feel...so both of these will probably count toward my sgpa ?? =(
Hi guys,
I received several incompletes during my junior year because my grandpa passed away a week before my finals and I went home for the funeral. Would you recommend for me to explain this in my personal statement in the AMCAS or in the secondaries?
Thanks
It's better if you do it in the personal statement. Write it as an addendum, not as part of the body of the essay.
If they are with the psychology department, then no, they don't count towards sgpa. They would only count toward the spga if you marked them as "Biology" credit.haha thanks guys...the classes im worried about right now are "drugs and behavior" which was basically all neuroscience....and cognitive psychology, which had somewhat of a neuroscience feel...so both of these will probably count toward my sgpa ?? =(
According to AMCAS, Psycology is BESS and NOT counted towards BPCM -- unless you try to slide it in as a science course (but you don't have to)
..
If they are with the psychology department, then no, they don't count towards sgpa. They would only count toward the spga if you marked them as "Biology" credit.
According to AMCAS, Psycology is BESS and NOT counted towards BPCM -- unless you try to slide it in as a science course (but you don't have to)
so if i got credit for those classes as psyc and not bio, then they wont count...even if in the course catalog of my college, they're crosslisted in both departments ?
and is it even possible to slide in/out classes under bcpm on the amcas application if adcoms look at your transcripts and can see which bcpm classes you took ?? cuz if you change it around on the application, then wont they see the difference from ure actual transcript and get suspicious ?
A professor wrote a letter for me last summer for my fellowship. I asked him if he could update it for my application this year, and after 2 emails he said he'd be happy to do it (he didn't see the first one 🙄). I said June 10th was the deadline, and now, more than a month later... no letter. I've sent 2 reminder emails and a card. =/
Thoughts? More emails, even though that's been ineffective so far? Is it okay to call my professor using his office phone, or is that invasive? What bugs me the most is that he has basically already written the letter; he just needs to revise it slightly for medical school. =/
Thanks in advance 🙂
Does this professor work at your undergrad institution from which you're getting your committee letter from? If so, talk to your advisor and inform them of the situation. They have their ways of reaching the professors and getting the letter without making you look bad.
so if i got credit for those classes as psyc and not bio, then they wont count...even if in the course catalog of my college, they're crosslisted in both departments ?
and is it even possible to slide in/out classes under bcpm on the amcas application if adcoms look at your transcripts and can see which bcpm classes you took ?? cuz if you change it around on the application, then wont they see the difference from ure actual transcript and get suspicious ?
if you think it looks shady it probably is. don't be that guy
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi guys,
I received several incompletes during my junior year because my grandpa passed away a week before my finals and I went home for the funeral. Would you recommend for me to explain this in my personal statement in the AMCAS or in the secondaries?
Thanks
If those incompletes resulted in ac pro or something (sometimes the office of the registrar calculates Is as Fs) mention it in the Institutional Action part. Also, if you've had an interview with your advisor and discussed this prior to your committee letter then it's possible that they will put those details in the letter--check with them. Often times they'll tell you that they'll take care of it in the letter and not to waste space on your personal statement for it.
Does this professor work at your undergrad institution from which you're getting your committee letter from? If so, talk to your advisor and inform them of the situation. They have their ways of reaching the professors and getting the letter without making you look bad.
Thanks for your reply. To clarify,
1) I'm on the opposite coast from my undergrad institution and can't fly in to visit just for this
2) My undergrad does not have a committee 🙁
And yeah, he's already written a letter of some sort, but it probably needs an update (at the very least, it needs to be addressed to the adcom) and uploaded to Interfolio. I considered asking my undergrad advisor, or contacting a TA I had who is a grad student in the professor's lab, but these seem "sneaky." I think I will just try to call him... Should I line up some backup letters just in case? Unfortunately, 1) I don't have a whole lot of backup letter writers, 2) I don't want to burden them, and 3) it seems like I'm asking pretty late now =/
Merging threads to the appropriate location.
For a psych course to count, it has to be neuroscience related IMO. In that case you can mark it as BIOLogy and AMCAS will not change it to BESS(behavioral/social science).
You can attempt to be sneaky and label some psych courses as BIOL and some as BESS (the ones that you don't want to affect your sGPA). AMCAS may let this slide.... or they might change it to the proper course type. It probably won't hurt to try.
i'm in the same situation as you dextor, i'm super confused! I have a bunch of cognitive psych/neuroscience classes listed under psych at my school. ex: sleeping sciences, bio&mind, cognitive neuroscience. I think those should all count as neuroscience.. but say PSYCH. Though I have other classes like physio psych and cognitive psych which i'm pretty sure remain under BESS.
does anyone else have feedback for these neuroscience/psych classes?
so if i got credit for those classes as psyc and not bio, then they wont count...even if in the course catalog of my college, they're crosslisted in both departments ?
and is it even possible to slide in/out classes under bcpm on the amcas application if adcoms look at your transcripts and can see which bcpm classes you took ?? cuz if you change it around on the application, then wont they see the difference from ure actual transcript and get suspicious ?
First off - I def don't know everything about the AMCAS and applying to medical school.
If a psych course is cross listed with biology, and you took it for psych credit, you can still label it as biology. My opinion is the course material is what counts. My first and only psych course I have ever taken was while a graduate student in neurobiology as the course would help me understand my field better. I listed the course as Biology on my AMCAS and it was accepted as so.
I honestly don't think ADCOMS are going to compare you transcript to application when you are accepted. They might though -- so hopefully have any explanation for why your psych course was listed as biology (should be neuroscience related). Of course, accidents do happen also -- you are just scrolling through a list of options after all. My AMCAS def has one class marked accidentally BESS when it was english-like class.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 30
- Views
- 7K
- Replies
- 88
- Views
- 12K
- Replies
- 98
- Views
- 26K
- Replies
- 8
- Views
- 2K