*-*-*The Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2011*-*-*

Started by JJMrK
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many posts to look though, sorry if this is a repeated question...

Did anyone send their letters via Virtual Evals? And how long did it take for AMCAS to show that they received it on their status page? Mine were sent last week, and they are still not shown as received... I thought it would be fast since it is sent electronically. TMDSAS got mine a few days later... And AMCAS is usually faster!
 
My mother is a Cuban immigrant from the Castro revolution era and my father is a towhead from the midwest. I was born in this country and raised in an area that is not particularly hispanic. English is my first language although I am moderately proficient in Spanish (not by any means fluent, but I understand pretty well and can get my point across usually). I have grown up mostly with the American culture, but also following some Cuban traditions/values at home and with relatives. I understand that Cubans are not considered URM's. I am just wondering what I should select on the AMCAS. Do I mark hispanic/cuban and caucasian both? Do I only mark caucasian since I was born in this country? My surname is not hispanic. What would schools think if I presented myself as hispanic/caucasian? Would it be regarded poorly as if I were trying to gain an advantage?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Don't worry about how that aspect of your application is going to be perceived---just be honest and mark all that apply. No one should get hung up on your racial/ethnic identification.
 
How much of a problem is it if I jumped the gun and assigned letters to schools during Primary submission? I completely forgot this was a no no.

Will they just toss my letters to the side and then lose them? Am I going to end up re-submitting them via AMCAS because I submitted too early? Will this delay my app?
 
I believe they tell you to mark whatever race(s) you identify with. So, mark what you identify with.


this,

i am half venezuelan, half caucasian... I also have white skin and red hair, not looking at all hispanic

but i speak spanish and hold my hispanic heritage very dear (aww) not to mention, i eat rice and beans with every meal! 😎

really tho, i identify with hispanic, therefore that's what i'll mark, and you should do as you feel as well
 
Schools actually have to choose to download them manually so its not like they can just toss them aside. Most schools ask you on the secondary which writers you want them to use. I did the same thing and I don't think its a problem.
 
How much of a problem is it if I jumped the gun and assigned letters to schools during Primary submission? I completely forgot this was a no no.

Will they just toss my letters to the side and then lose them? Am I going to end up re-submitting them via AMCAS because I submitted too early? Will this delay my app?


chill the f out
 
I'm half Venezuelan, half Colombian. I am so glad my parents urged me to keep practicing Spanish and remain fluent. Now, I have a pretty good skill to put on all my applications.

Like everyone else said, mark what applies. doctors are some of the most diverse people in regards to race, I doubt anyone will be prejudice or anything.
 
I don't think it's a "no-no." I did this at first then got the stupid "ACTION REQUIRED" email that made it seem I was in trouble or something, so I now designate them all right away.
 
[...] Would it be regarded poorly as if I were trying to gain an advantage?

Not unless you built a time machine, kidnapped your mother's ancestors and dropped them off in Cuba to give yourself what may or may not be a minute advantage for your current med school applications.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My mother is a Cuban immigrant from the Castro revolution era and my father is a towhead from the midwest. I was born in this country and raised in an area that is not particularly hispanic. English is my first language although I am moderately proficient in Spanish (not by any means fluent, but I understand pretty well and can get my point across usually). I have grown up mostly with the American culture, but also following some Cuban traditions/values at home and with relatives. I understand that Cubans are not considered URM's. I am just wondering what I should select on the AMCAS. Do I mark hispanic/cuban and caucasian both? Do I only mark caucasian since I was born in this country? My surname is not hispanic. What would schools think if I presented myself as hispanic/caucasian? Would it be regarded poorly as if I were trying to gain an advantage?

What did you say your father is?
 
So I have a problem where I have worked in three different labs (one in high school, one in freshman summer of college, and my final one since sophomore until present)

The work I had done in high school was pretty significant and I carried on some of it to get two publications that were accepted freshman year of college and a couple awards in national symposiums.

Then the summer I did work in another lab where I would go on to win 1st place at a regional poster competition.

Due to issues with the other lab I went to another lab in chemical engineering and i finally found my niche and have been there since (rising senior now) and I have won many awards and competitions through this lab.

So my question is that do I put all these three labs as separate experiences? Three are in three different fields so they are not the same. Also the two publications were 1 first author and 1 second author so should i separate those also? Also what would I put as the names of the different publications for the experience names?

I have space I suppose or can for the experience work/activities section. Thank you for any and all advice!
 
I want to change something in my LOR description (in the details section). However, there is no option to edit the details. If I delete the letter, will I still be able to assign it a profile or will I lose the letter altogether? Thanks.

EDIT: help! AMCAS keeps listing the name of the pre-health committee/organization next to "institution" (where they are supposed to list my school's name)! I also see this in the PDF file when I click print. How can I fix this!?
 
Last edited:
Well, the truth is that I personally identify with both, but with the American culture (is there such a thing?) much more. However, there are things about growing up with a Cuban parent that broaden my understanding of Hispanic family values and way of thinking. Not to mention the food!

I am not applying this cycle so I have time to think about it. Sometimes it's easy to deny my Cuban heritage since none of my close friends are Hispanic, but deep down inside it is part of who I am. Would I say that Hispanic patients would identify with me and be more comfortable with me than a Caucasian physician? Probably not in a significant way, as I speak with a gringo accent and my vocabulary is limited. However, I daresay I would understand their actions, feelings and way of thinking a bit more than someone unrelated to the culture. Would I choose to work in an area with a large Hispanic population? Hispanic patients are very endearing to me, as, in general, they love and trust their doctors and speak from the heart, however, I would neither choose such an area nor not choose it. Other factors would be more important to me.

You can see my struggles with what I should mark on the application. I don't know if I qualify as the type of Hispanic adcoms would think they should be getting from someone marking the Hispanic box.

Lol, Whoop. My father was a towhead (an almost white-haired) little boy growing up in the Midwest. I said this to provide a visual and figurative contrast to my mother's dark hair and more pigmented skin. In so many ways they are very different, but very much the same.
 
It doesn't matter. I never heard of it as something that you're not supposed to do. The med schools will manually download your files when they want.
 
I looked up the different courses listed under BCPM, but I was wondering if it varies from college to college or if it's the same for all? Do some college have courses that count as BCPM that other schools dont? For example, there are courses that satisfy the "Natural Science" Requirement at my school, such as "Physiological Psychology" and "Animal Learning" (both Psych courses) - would courses like these 2 be BCPM?
 
I took a few classes at a CC summer school, but got Bs because it doesnt show up on my transcript at my school and I just wanted to fulfill the gen eds. But I just found out AMCAS wants you to send the transcript from that CC school, and those 3.0s would really really hurt my overall gpa. This is really making me nervous :scared:

If these courses arent required by any of the med schools, can I just not send this transcript to the med schools and not count it in my gpa? or do i have to send it in?
 
I took a few classes at a CC summer school, but got Bs because it doesnt show up on my transcript at my school and I just wanted to fulfill the gen eds. But I just found out AMCAS wants you to send the transcript from that CC school, and those 3.0s would really really hurt my overall gpa. This is really making me nervous :scared:

If these courses arent required by any of the med schools, can I just not send this transcript to the med schools and not count it in my gpa? or do i have to send it in?

Nope, gotta send them.

Keep calm and carry on
 
Cubans are Hispanic and are considered URMs. I would advise you to use affirmative action to your advantage.

It's really up to the med school for the most part, but traditionally cubans aren't considered urms by the amcas definiton...blacks, mexican-americans, native americans and mainland puerto rican were the only ones included in the original "definition"

OP, as others have said I would mark whatever you identify with...hispanic and/or caucasian
 
For what its worth, to me, you sound more like caucasian. I believe that you would have a considerable advantage if you marked yourself as hispanic instead of white, however. If I could, I would mark ____ race to get a leg up!

My mother is a Cuban immigrant from the Castro revolution era and my father is a towhead from the midwest. I was born in this country and raised in an area that is not particularly hispanic. English is my first language although I am moderately proficient in Spanish (not by any means fluent, but I understand pretty well and can get my point across usually). I have grown up mostly with the American culture, but also following some Cuban traditions/values at home and with relatives. I understand that Cubans are not considered URM's. I am just wondering what I should select on the AMCAS. Do I mark hispanic/cuban and caucasian both? Do I only mark caucasian since I was born in this country? My surname is not hispanic. What would schools think if I presented myself as hispanic/caucasian? Would it be regarded poorly as if I were trying to gain an advantage?
 
I am not yet up to the point of applying, so I'm not too familiar with this.

How do you determine if a course is eligible for BCPM? Is it your own personal interpretation of whether a course contains 50% of Bio,Physics,Chem,or Math and then you list it?

I am trying to pick a few courses for the next semester that can fall under BCPM and am not sure how to determine which courses would count.

I've always been very confused about this, so could someone please give a quick explanation? Thank you in advance, I appreciate the help.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I submitted early July but I'm not verified yet. I want to add schools. Is there any risk that doing so before I'm verified will send my app to the back of the line for verifications? Is it safe to add more schools now, or should I wait till I'm verified?
 
I submitted early July but I'm not verified yet. I want to add schools. Is there any risk that doing so before I'm verified will send my app to the back of the line for verifications? Is it safe to add more schools now, or should I wait till I'm verified?
Adding schools doesn't change your verification time at all. You're fine. Good luck!
 
does anyone know if what i said is correct or on the right track? thanks


I am not yet up to the point of applying, so I'm not too familiar with this.

How do you determine if a course is eligible for BCPM? Is it your own personal interpretation of whether a course contains 50% of Bio,Physics,Chem,or Math and then you list it?

I am trying to pick a few courses for the next semester that can fall under BCPM and am not sure how to determine which courses would count.

I've always been very confused about this, so could someone please give a quick explanation? Thank you in advance, I appreciate the help.
 
Schools actually have to choose to download them manually so its not like they can just toss them aside. Most schools ask you on the secondary which writers you want them to use. I did the same thing and I don't think its a problem.

Thanks for the calming insight...I feel better now 😳
 
Hi,

I'm going to take 7 units of EMT-B classes this upcoming year at a CC (classes offered through the Biological and Health Sciences Division) and I was wondering if they would count toward my BCPM GPA.

If I can't find the answer here, should I contact specific schools and ask them? Or should I contact AAMCAS?
 
What's the deal with some people getting verified within a couple of days of submitting it? Did they tack a 50 to their application or something?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah, there's no real chem/math/physics in the class, and it is more of one big first aid class than a biology course with lab.

I've discussed this locally with professors, EMT won't fly as a BCPM
 
I put my 6 credit EMT class as BCMP and AMCAS agreed (or at least they didn't change it). The course number was like EMT100.
 
Guess it all depends who you ask. With that in mind though, I'll have find out who has the record of that class and get it put on my transcript
 
what address do we need to fill out in the amcas form for the incoming LORs from interfolio? the university's address or interfolio's address???

and what id do we type into amcas, the letter id or the amcas id?
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.