*-*-*The Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2011*-*-*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i see his point.why nix a sentence when you can get back 30 characters this way?i'm sure the person reading it would understand.
word.why stop there?just get rid of all spaces like the Romans used to do.especiallysincehispersonalstatementjustisthepinnacleofliteraturewithNOWHEREtocutfrom.

Members don't see this ad.

While you're at it, delete all commas. Commas are mostly useless.

Hi guys, a few things I'm not sure if I should list on my AMCAS:
  • Dean's List. This is also listed on my transcript, also I'm not sure how to "describe" it.
  • language proficiencies
  • Marine Corps Marathon that I ran to raise money for burn victims
What do you think? Would listing these things be "puffing it up" too much?

Members don't see this ad :)
It's true what they say; psychology people are the nuttiest of the bunch.

Can one start filling out the AMCAS before receiving official MCAT scores?

I'm retaking it soon, but I was wondering if it would be wise to get started with my application before I have my scores back.

Thanks for your help!

Can one start filling out the AMCAS before receiving official MCAT scores?

I'm retaking it soon, but I was wondering if it would be wise to get started with my application before I have my scores back.

Thanks for your help!

search function=answer=yes

Since people receive secondaries from some schools before their applications have been verified, does this mean that schools that you add before submitting your application receive you application before schools added the day your application has been verified? Can you add schools while your application is in the process of being verified? Will these schools receive your application before it has been verified?

Since people receive secondaries from some schools before their applications have been verified, does this mean that schools that you add before submitting your application receive you application before schools added the day your application has been verified?

no one knows anything about you or your list of schools until your application is submitted. you may receive invitations for secondaries (from schools that do not screen) as soon as you submit the amcas app. you may receive invitations for secondaries from schools that DO screen as soon as you are verified.

Can you add schools while your application is in the process of being verified?

i do not know this. i think any changes you make after verification happen pretty quickly though, because it's all electronic and no "person" needs to check your changes.

So I just recently read over my application (after submitting it 2 weeks ago) and I noticed something horrible. I don't know how it happened, I read over my personal statement numerous times and I had 3 people read it over right before I submitted my application, but apparently a typo slipped through. It must have been something I changed in the very last minute, but even then I can't believe I let something like that happen. I was substituting the phrase "his patients" for just "them" and apparently I was able to switch "patients" with "them" but I didn't remove "his". I now have the wonderful phrase, "his them" in my personal statement. What an epic fail....Anyone think this will be a big problem for adcoms? Please feel free to comment.

e7aac7d9-6847-45e0-88eb-22cdd93ef06f.jpg

Not a huge deal.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I just recently read over my application (after submitting it 2 weeks ago) and I noticed something horrible. I don't know how it happened, I read over my personal statement numerous times and I had 3 people read it over right before I submitted my application, but apparently a typo slipped through. It must have been something I changed in the very last minute, but even then I can't believe I let something like that happen. I was substituting the phrase "his patients" for just "them" and apparently I was able to switch "patients" with "them" but I didn't remove "his". I now have the wonderful phrase, "his them" in my personal statement. What an epic fail....Anyone think this will be a big problem for adcoms? Please feel free to comment.

Chill, that alone will not keep you out of med school.

The same things happened to me, too. "Offered" somehow became "offerd." hope they don't notice.......

relax dude, similar thing happened to me and i was like ehh.. whatever im not that neurotic. no one said a word at any of my interviews. you realize they are not editors or something, they'll take 2 minutes fly through your p.s. if your mcat and gpa are alrite and go from there.

Yes, you are done for medical or dental or whatever school you are applying! in all seriousness.

This is why I've gone out of my way to avoid reading my PS after I've hit submit.

But I think doxy is right. They aren't reading the PS to see how capable you are with grammar and sentence structure. They want to digest the ideas behind the words and that's what they'll bring to the interview to talk to you about. It certainly doesn't help if there are spelling errors and grammatical issues throughout your paper, but I don't think the occasional goof is anything to worry about, nor do I believe that it is an uncommon occurrence.

I used the word "preform" instead of "perform" like 15 times throughout all my secondaries. Preform just seems so much more natural to type, and the spellchecker doesn't pick up on it.

Honestly, in the big picture, if htey like every other aspect of your application, they'll take you. Some of the "big schools" that I applied to also have typos on their application...so I doubt it's a big deal.

Hey guys,
I apologize and I'm certain that this question has been asked a million times but I took the 6/17 test, did nowhere near well, and am retaking on 9/11. I've already sent out my AMCAS but only added one school (didn't want to jump the gun before seeing my scores; it was a good idea). I don't want schools to only look at my app in mid-October, when scores are released for the Sept test. Should I apply to the schools I want to apply to now? I've heard most schools don't screen before secondaries. Or will they just put my file aside until mid-October if they see I'm taking the Sept test as indicated on my AMCAS?

If you had never taken the test before, then it wouldn't really hurt to send in your app before the test score is in. But your situation is such that when you submit your app they will see your first score, and it's hard to change the impression that score gives them without them actually seeing a much improved score. So I'd just wait. The lateness is not as bad as the effect of the bad first impression.

Just my $.02.

If you had never taken the test before, then it wouldn't really hurt to send in your app before the test score is in. But your situation is such that when you submit your app they will see your first score, and it's hard to change the impression that score gives them without them actually seeing a much improved score. So I'd just wait. The lateness is not as bad as the effect of the bad first impression.

Just my $.02.

Thank you for your advice, ishchayill. I think you're right, it's just so unfortunate that I put so much effort into submitting AMCAS early in hopes of early secondary submissions, just to end up writing secondaries during my school year! Is it true that once my AMCAS is verified, when I add schools in the beginning of October the schools should receive my application immediately?
In any case, them's the breaks. If anybody else has advice, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Just my $.02.

I am pretty sure your application won't get passed the receptionist till after it is complete, i.e. they have your new MCAT score. It is a waste of resources to review applications multiple times

Can you add schools while your application is in the process of being verified? Will these schools receive your application before it has been verified?

I was in a similar boat so I can help answer some of this-- since I called Amcas.

You may add more schools while in the process of still being verified. just manually add the additional schools and resubmit the application (you will be prompted this every time you add a school). I asked if resubmitting the application with the additional schools would lose my place in line (for verification), but they said it would not affect that.

I am not sure about schools seeing the entire application before the amcas is verified though...

I was in a similar boat so I can help answer some of this-- since I called Amcas.

You may add more schools while in the process of still being verified. just manually add the additional schools and resubmit the application (you will be prompted this every time you add a school). I asked if resubmitting the application with the additional schools would lose my place in line (for verification), but they said it would not affect that.

I am not sure about schools seeing the entire application before the amcas is verified though...

Schools only get your name and contact info.Grades etc. are not released till after verification.

I've skimmed the "Great tips for entering work/activities" thread and searched them both, didn't see this brought up.

I went through pharmacy school, graduated last year. The last year of school did rotations ... 1800 hours worth. During this time you are often asked if there is anything you would like to do/experience during the rotation. I knew I wanted to go to med school, so I angled my way in to shadow a doc, or go on rounds with one, as much as possible.

Can I put this down as shadowing experience, even though it was technically part of a class? No other pharmacy student had this experience at my school because I used initiative to make it happen. I this way it is "extra", not part of the class. I have a ton of time put into this and don't want it to go to waste.

Thanks everyone!

I've skimmed the "Great tips for entering work/activities" thread and searched them both, didn't see this brought up.

I went through pharmacy school, graduated last year. The last year of school did rotations ... 1800 hours worth. During this time you are often asked if there is anything you would like to do/experience during the rotation. I knew I wanted to go to med school, so I angled my way in to shadow a doc, or go on rounds with one, as much as possible.

Can I put this down as shadowing experience, even though it was technically part of a class? No other pharmacy student had this experience at my school because I used initiative to make it happen. I this way it is "extra", not part of the class. I have a ton of time put into this and don't want it to go to waste.

Thanks everyone!

Definitely put it down you can elaborate in the description

I made a letter entry but have not had the actual letters sent to AMCAS yet. While my application is being verified, I can have the actual letters sent in, add new medical schools, and assign these letters to medical schools at any time correct?

I believe so. I think you can add letters and schools whenever you want.

Okay, just want to make sure I'm not screwing myself by submitting.

I believe so. I think you can add letters and schools whenever you want.

+1 on this answer, you can add letters and assign these letters to schools whenever you want, but you can't remove them once assigned.

and yes, anytime is fine, you won't ruin ur verification process

Just wondering how long it typically takes to receive secondaries after you've been verified?

if you are using interfolio to send a packet of letters, which include people from various institutions, how do select that from AMCAS? it wants a school. Do I have to do it individual?

The letters in Interfolio were uploaded individually, right, by/from each letter writer? Or are you saying that a packet of letters was pulled together at your college and then you had it sent to Interfolio? I have never heard of that.

Not sure what you are asking otherwise...

Quick question. If I upload many recommendation letters but only assign a few to each school, will that school see the other letters that have been uploaded and not assigned to them?

well they are individual at interfolio, but yes I had my other institutions' letters sent to my home institution which was then transfered to interfolio. But I guess you need to individually add letters to AMCAS and can designate it through interfolio in one delivery by adding letter IDs.

well they are individual at interfolio, but yes I had my other institutions' letters sent to my home institution which was then transfered to interfolio. But I guess you need to individually add letters to AMCAS and can designate it through interfolio in one delivery by adding letter IDs.

Well, I did AMCAS last year and I seem to recall there is an option for listing letters as individual, or from a committee, or in a packet. Have you actually gotten to this section of AMCAS? Because I think you have a choice.

What "other institutions" are you talking about? Did you get prof letters at other schools, and then had them sent to your current school? Or are you talking about something else? Why would you need interfolio for those letters if your school has them? Can't you just get the letters sent from your school to AMCAS?

Interfolio is no longer a necessary step, and in fact, should be skipped if possible.

1. Yes i got to that step, and it requires a school to select, but what about supervisors from jobs
2. I have been out of school for a couple years and my school charges too much money for their letter service so I switched it to Interfolio.
3. Not using amcas because i want to save my letters for future use.
4. I have letters from other universities, and employment not necessarily tied to my undergraduate institution.

Anyways Interfolio now allows you to send one batch for 6.00 but designate different letter IDs which is good.

Quick question. If I upload many recommendation letters but only assign a few to each school, will that school see the other letters that have been uploaded and not assigned to them?

NO. Medical schools can only see the letters you released to them.

Hey guys,

When I had put my personal statement into AMCAS, I went over the desired character limit and started eliminating spaces after periods and in between commas.

My essay looks kind of crowded and I was just wondering if it is still okay to submit my essay looking like that? Did anyone else get rid of most of their spaces too?

Any help, or input, would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

thisidiocyagain?wheredotheybreedyourkindofpeople?

maybe you should re-read my question again. i did not say to eliminate spaces between letters in every word..more like AFTER PERIODS AND COMMAS.

before you make judgmental comments, why don't you understand the question being asked. thanks

it should be 5300 characters including appropriate punctuation (aka spaces after periods and commas.) i'd stop messing with it on AAMC and go back to Word so you can edit the CONTENT to get it under 5300. no offense, but they will probably think it was ridiculous that you took out all the spaces instead of just cutting some sentences or phrases here and there. do you really want people to be irritated because they are unable to read your PS?

Hey guys,

When I had put my personal statement into AMCAS, I went over the desired character limit and started eliminating spaces after periods and in between commas.

My essay looks kind of crowded and I was just wondering if it is still okay to submit my essay looking like that? Did anyone else get rid of most of their spaces too?

Any help, or input, would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

So are u asking if this is ok,as opposed to having a space after the comma? If this is what u're referring to, its not ok.

it should be 5300 characters including appropriate punctuation (aka spaces after periods and commas.) i'd stop messing with it on AAMC and go back to Word so you can edit the CONTENT to get it under 5300. no offense, but they will probably think it was ridiculous that you took out all the spaces instead of just cutting some sentences or phrases here and there. do you really want people to be irritated because they are unable to read your PS?

Yeah, I understand...I thought that too but just wanted to make sure. Thanks Mary

maybe you should re-read my question again. i did not say to eliminate spaces between letters in every word..more like AFTER PERIODS AND COMMAS.

before you make judgmental comments, why don't you understand the question being asked. thanks
maybeyoushouldlearntosimplyextrapolatefromwhateveritisyouareasking

Status
Not open for further replies.