-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
*-*-*The Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2011*-*-*
Started by JJMrK
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
I was also wondering since I retook a course that i originally received a F in due to personal reasons, if they counted that F towards my GPA even though I had retook it and received a B. They didn't count it in my undergrad GPA, but i'm guessing AMCAS may have, causing another reason for it to drop some?
Yeah, AMCAS uses every grade listed.I was also wondering since I retook a course that i originally received a F in due to personal reasons, if they counted that F towards my GPA even though I had retook it and received a B. They didn't count it in my undergrad GPA, but i'm guessing AMCAS may have, causing another reason for it to drop some?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do to a scheduling issue I'm probably going to be dropping a class I listed on AMCAS future course work and adding another. I know the "future coursework" category is not binding or anything, but I was curious if I need to let the schools I applied to know I'm making a change or if its no big deal.
(Its a purely elective class so has no bearing on pre-reqs/etc)
(Its a purely elective class so has no bearing on pre-reqs/etc)
Don't worry about it. It's no big deal. Adcomms understand that classes may be full or that a conflict may arise. Whichever school you attend will know about the change from your final transcript.
ah dang, well that sucks lol. kinda makes me wish now that I withdrew from the class if I knew that AMCAS was gonna count it!
Doesn't AMCAS count dropped classes as an F too though?
An official withdrawal doesn't effect your GPA.Doesn't AMCAS count dropped classes as an F too though?
Hi guys,
I just go approved for the fee assistance program and I had a couple questions:
1) Will schools waive the secondary fees as well and how do I let them know that I was approved for the fee assistance program.
2) Does this make me economically disadvantaged because I didn't put that on my applications.
I just go approved for the fee assistance program and I had a couple questions:
1) Will schools waive the secondary fees as well and how do I let them know that I was approved for the fee assistance program.
2) Does this make me economically disadvantaged because I didn't put that on my applications.
I know generally how med schools calculate the BCMP, but I was wondering what math classes count toward the BCMP? I've taken Statistics (in the economics department) as well as linear algebra. Will those both count, or will different med schools count them differently?
I know generally how med schools calculate the BCMP, but I was wondering what math classes count toward the BCMP? I've taken Statistics (in the economics department) as well as linear algebra. Will those both count, or will different med schools count them differently?
AMCAS calculates it. If you classify the course as Bio, Chem, Physics, or Math - it will be included in that GPA. So, even though your stats course was in the econ dept, if you designate it as math (which you should), it will be counted. Linear algebra is definitely a math class.
Each medical schools affiliated with AMCAS (which is almost all MD schools) will see THAT BCMP GPA.
Hope that helps 😛
EDIT: AMCAS has the right to change anything you designate. For example, if you're like "ah I did super well in this psych class, I wonder if I can get away with calling it Bio"... don't try. They'll shoot you down. Just wanted to clarify.
Hello all, I tried to search but was unable to come across my exact question.
I was scheduled to take the July 8th MCAT but the testing center had a power outage. Fortunately, after spending an hour on the phone, I was able to reschedule for next week (July 16th). After taking several MCAT practice exams (e-mcat.com), I am pretty confident I would score around 35+. The problem is that my GPA took a hit this year because I took on too many activities. My current cum GPA is 3.6. My transcript has been sent to AMCAS just yesterday (it took over a week for the school to send it). I have one letter of recommendation and the other one wants to see my MCAT score before she writes it. I am just looking for advice as to if my timeline is too late and if it is not too late then I would appreciate any advice on when to submit the AMCAS. I have pretty much everything done. Just need to sit down one day and polish things up a bit. I was planning on submitting the AMCAS prior to getting the MCAT score and start working on the secondaries right away. Unfortunately, I had an incorrect timeline in my head as to when things should have been submitted. My college is on the quarter systems and I looked things up right after finals were over (it was already mid June). After which I did everything I could to try and be on a competitive timeline. I am hoping that there are members here with much better experience than I, and would be kindly enough to voice their opinion.
Thanks in advance!
EDIT:
Also, I was thinking about the disadvantaged section. Both my parents have had minimal education and we are not extremely well off. They also do not speak English fluently and I am responsible for anything that would require communication with others. For example, I had to travel back home from college several times when they were both laid off earlier this year so that I could help fill out unemployment benefit forms. This definitely had a significant negative impact on my grades (I was taking 20 credit hours and working 2 jobs). I don't want to sound needy and try to get sympathy points but it is true and I would like to increase my odds.
I was scheduled to take the July 8th MCAT but the testing center had a power outage. Fortunately, after spending an hour on the phone, I was able to reschedule for next week (July 16th). After taking several MCAT practice exams (e-mcat.com), I am pretty confident I would score around 35+. The problem is that my GPA took a hit this year because I took on too many activities. My current cum GPA is 3.6. My transcript has been sent to AMCAS just yesterday (it took over a week for the school to send it). I have one letter of recommendation and the other one wants to see my MCAT score before she writes it. I am just looking for advice as to if my timeline is too late and if it is not too late then I would appreciate any advice on when to submit the AMCAS. I have pretty much everything done. Just need to sit down one day and polish things up a bit. I was planning on submitting the AMCAS prior to getting the MCAT score and start working on the secondaries right away. Unfortunately, I had an incorrect timeline in my head as to when things should have been submitted. My college is on the quarter systems and I looked things up right after finals were over (it was already mid June). After which I did everything I could to try and be on a competitive timeline. I am hoping that there are members here with much better experience than I, and would be kindly enough to voice their opinion.
Thanks in advance!
EDIT:
Also, I was thinking about the disadvantaged section. Both my parents have had minimal education and we are not extremely well off. They also do not speak English fluently and I am responsible for anything that would require communication with others. For example, I had to travel back home from college several times when they were both laid off earlier this year so that I could help fill out unemployment benefit forms. This definitely had a significant negative impact on my grades (I was taking 20 credit hours and working 2 jobs). I don't want to sound needy and try to get sympathy points but it is true and I would like to increase my odds.
Last edited:
can we see what gpa the schoosl see?
i'm not seeing where AMCAS tells me what my gpa's are
i'm not seeing where AMCAS tells me what my gpa's are
AMCAS calculates it. If you classify the course as Bio, Chem, Physics, or Math - it will be included in that GPA. So, even though your stats course was in the econ dept, if you designate it as math (which you should), it will be counted. Linear algebra is definitely a math class.
Each medical schools affiliated with AMCAS (which is almost all MD schools) will see THAT BCMP GPA.
Hope that helps 😛
EDIT: AMCAS has the right to change anything you designate. For example, if you're like "ah I did super well in this psych class, I wonder if I can get away with calling it Bio"... don't try. They'll shoot you down. Just wanted to clarify.
Yup, if you think its BCPM then very likely it is BCPM. The AMCAS application will look at classes which are disputable and from there establish a conclusion. So if your for example lets say your anatomy class was offered by the nursing or exercise department, if they check the description and see biological concepts. Then you'll likely get it in.
Also some psychology classes like for example animal behavior, biological basis of behavior, etc. will count for BCPM as they fit into the category of neuroscience.
I think there is like 3. Will this significantly effect admission committee's consideration of my application???
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
probably but you can't do anything about it now...so why worry?I think there is like 3. Will this significantly effect admission committee's consideration of my application???
depends on which words you misspelled...what's the worst thing, a J??? yeah that's not good. do not worry about it, thank god its over right?
can we see what gpa the schoosl see?
i'm not seeing where AMCAS tells me what my gpa's are
Yeah you can .. once you're verified, login to AMCAS and click "Print Application" on the right. On the pdf that loads, there will be a BCPM, AO and Cumulative GPA breakdown per HS and each year of college, as well as your total GPA. The GPA AMCAS calculates for you will be what schools get, and can be different than your own undergrad college's calculation
Also, I should have one publications out by the end of this year. The abstracts for different papers and I am listed as the 4th author I believe. Didn't know if this would matter but it's the probably the best accomplishment in my EC and thought would have some weight in this question.
If the timeline I gave is too late then I would probably move my MCAT back (if possible) and try to get a better score. Then I would apply next year, and just take a year off after undergrad. Any input is greatly appreciated!
If the timeline I gave is too late then I would probably move my MCAT back (if possible) and try to get a better score. Then I would apply next year, and just take a year off after undergrad. Any input is greatly appreciated!
indeed thank god it's over.
Yup, if you think its BCPM then very likely it is BCPM. The AMCAS application will look at classes which are disputable and from there establish a conclusion. So if your for example lets say your anatomy class was offered by the nursing or exercise department, if they check the description and see biological concepts. Then you'll likely get it in.
Also some psychology classes like for example animal behavior, biological basis of behavior, etc. will count for BCPM as they fit into the category of neuroscience.
Yep, wish I would have known about the psych caveat before I submitted. I took a physiological psych and a cognitive neuroscience class that I could have counted as BCPM [A- and A, respectively] - my BCPM GPA was still 3.55 though, so hopefully decent enough.

I think there is like 3. Will this significantly effect admission committee's consideration of my application???
I don't think 3 spelling errors is a big deal...
but "there is 3" and "effect" instead of "affect" might have a bigger impact. Did you have someone else look over your PS to help you catch stuff?
Either way, nothing you can do about it now, so just relax and be careful on your secondaries 🙂
You're screwed. You'll never be a doctor. Consider DO or Caribbean.
I think there is like 3. Will this significantly effect admission committee's consideration of my application???
With 2 errors in this post alone, you probably have a few more than 3.
which words was it OP? There/Their/They're? Or did you just forget/add a letter in the middle of the word?
You're screwed. You'll never be a doctor. Consider DO or Caribbean.
👍
Yeah as long as your not taking pre math courses (0900 at my school) than they should count. As long as its not Visual Math or something just ******ed.
which words was it OP? There/Their/They're? Or did you just forget/add a letter in the middle of the word?
This.
Simple typos will hurt you a lot less than you're/your affect/effect is/are.
you'll be good. I think adcoms get turned off when they start to see a bunch of them and not a small handful.
yes, but it'll be okSpelling errors in my PS 🙁 Do i look like an idiot?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
1) *Introductory Toxicology* offered by the Biology department
2) *State of the Earth's Environment* also offered by the Biology department
2) *State of the Earth's Environment* also offered by the Biology department
I have already submitted, but realize that I failed to enter in my AP tests onto the application. I didnt think they mattered, but now I realize that a good many schools require a year of english/literature. I have the AP english+AP Lit tests, and because of that I only took one english class in college.
Is this a big deal? Will AMCAS add the AP tests in during verification?
Does anyone know? Should I send the AP stuff to the schools directly?
Yes you need to re-submit even after you had verified if you've made any changes to your verified AMCAS. It won't cost a thing. Your AMCAS will still retain the "verified" status. It doesn't need to be reverified.
Think of it as you're just changing the settings for the letters section. Only when you click submit, would your changes officially go through the system.
Just make sure you've correctly assigned the letter to the schools you want to receive it.
Thank for your response. I was being such an idiot because I assigned letters before I submitted my application, so now I cannot edit it. Thank God that all my letters are somewhat strong but some schools only want 5 (maximum) letters and I assigned it to 6 letters. 😕 I just hope they are not going to get annoyed by me. They are not going to disqualify me, right? 🙁
Another question is..When I entered the recommendation letter section. When the system asked me if a letter is from an institution. I put "NO" because it was from a professor who has taught me in school, which is an individual, not really an institution. But now when I look back, I think I made a mistake. I should have said it was from an institution, right? What should I do now? I'm afraid the schools will not recognize the letter was from a professor from my school. 🙁 Please help.
Does anyone know? Should I send the AP stuff to the schools directly?
I think they will add the AP stuff on your application but it might take longer. Just wait until your application is verified and see if they add them on it. If not, you can either contact AMCAS or school and see what happens. Hope it helps.
Your toxicology course will count (mine did). I don't think the environment course will though. You can mark it as bio, but the AMCAS people will change it if they don't agree.
Personally, I understand that spelling errors happen at times but they bother me. Just like butt cracks, I know if they knew it was there they would do something about it. But it isn't significant enough for me to go up to a stranger and tell them to correct it but, damn it, it's unpleasant.
.
Last edited:
It's an application to medical school, not McDonalds. It would make me think you threw your app together w/o much thought, which might not be the case, but that's how it would look.
I think there is like 3. Will this significantly effect admission committee's consideration of my application???
As another poster said, why worry about it now? Just be sure to have someone look over your essay responses to secondaries. If I were an adcom reviewing your application, I wouldn't be impressed by multiple errors in spelling and grammar. It would seem sloppy, like you didn't care and just threw it together without really trying.
Hey guys,
Do you know what med schools see when they get your AMCAS? If I do 'print application' and read my personal statement, everything is fine. But if I view it online, there is a space in between a word (e.g, it says 'the re' instead of 'there'). I am not sure how/what that got in there and it looks like I didn't proofread (I did). The space is not there in my Word file either.
Is there anything I can do at this point?
Do you know what med schools see when they get your AMCAS? If I do 'print application' and read my personal statement, everything is fine. But if I view it online, there is a space in between a word (e.g, it says 'the re' instead of 'there'). I am not sure how/what that got in there and it looks like I didn't proofread (I did). The space is not there in my Word file either.
Is there anything I can do at this point?
I guess you could always double check on the AMCAS 'Help' section, but I'm pretty sure that the letters of recommendation are technically part of the secondaries. AMCAS simply gives you the option of getting them in to them before you officially submit your application.
Plus, it will take some time for AMCAS to verify your grades so it would be advisable to go ahead and submit it and then just get letters in as soon as you can get your writers to write them. Be sure to check the schools' websites for their individual deadlines for letters.
Plus, it will take some time for AMCAS to verify your grades so it would be advisable to go ahead and submit it and then just get letters in as soon as you can get your writers to write them. Be sure to check the schools' websites for their individual deadlines for letters.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know which schools do NOT take more than 3 letters?
I am about to submit, but I have indicated all letters on all of my schools..is this not a good idea?
Thanks
I am about to submit, but I have indicated all letters on all of my schools..is this not a good idea?
Thanks
You don't have to designate your letters before you submit. In fact, it may be in your benefit not to. Once you submit, you can't remove any - you can just add them. So, if I were you, I wouldn't worry about what specific schools take - don't designate the letters quite yet, submit and get verified, and then designate the letters once you determine which school wants which letters. Just my $0.02. 

- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 30
- Views
- 7K
- Replies
- 87
- Views
- 12K
- Replies
- 98
- Views
- 26K
- Replies
- 8
- Views
- 2K