The Official Anti-Clinical Medicine Thread

Started by b&ierstiefel
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
deschutes said:
Me neither. History shows I have effectively wasted most of my light overnight call nights.

Maybe if I change out of scrubs I can psych myself into it. 29 days to Step 2 CK!
It's still way too early to be studying for Step 2. Like my friend says, "If it isn't the night before, why are you studying?"
 
deschutes said:
Let's see. Maybe because my name is not AndyMilonakis
Insignificant. Two months to study for step 1. Two weeks to study for step 2. Two days to study for step 3. All you have to do is pass.

P=MD
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know that!! It's like eggshell in your cake.

*crunch* "Yeow!"

By which time the fragments are so small you can't manoeuvre them out of your mouth.

~
This AM...

Junior rez: "Were you on call last night? Because I was on, and I didn't know that you were on."
deschutes: "I paged the GS pager with my number, and the clerks' pager numbers are on the unit."
Junior rez: "Yeah, but I didn't get a page and we're not responsible for finding out who's on call. I'm just letting you know that I didn't get your page and that's why you weren't called."
deschutes nods and backs off

It's odd how many of these scenarios which start out antagonistic like you're going to be in trouble is just someone else passing the buck.
 
deschutes said:
This AM...

Junior rez: "Were you on call last night? Because I was on, and I didn't know that you were on."
deschutes: "I paged the GS pager with my number, and the clerks' pager numbers are on the unit."
Junior rez: "Yeah, but I didn't get a page and we're not responsible for finding out who's on call. I'm just letting you know that I didn't get your page and that's why you weren't called."
deschutes nods and backs off

It's odd how many of these scenarios which start out antagonistic like you're going to be in trouble is just someone else passing the buck.

Kinda reminds me of my last call on OB/GYN. I got the same **** from the resident on call. Except, that night I was on call, I purposely didn't page the resident cuz I didn't wanna be woken up. I mean my name and pager # WAS on the student call calendar. If the resident REALLY wanted to find out who was on call with her that night, she COULD have just looked at the calendar...right? :laugh:

Nah, who am I kidding. I wasn't in the mood to take **** from the gynies especially on my final days of that rotation.
 
Presumably she didn't want to get **** from the people upstairs about not calling clerks, presumably because clerks have complained in the past. 🙄

It's April. I don't care.

Oh and funny thing is, the new clerks are just starting. One of them super-eager came up to me this morning and said, "I can take call for you on Monday if you want. You don't even have to come in." SupAh-eager.

It's going to be his first call night. He doesn't know where to go when. He doesn't know the politics of call rooms.

I said I'd be there.

But there's only one couch, so after I get him set up, I am SO leaving. They can call me if they get like 4 consults simultaneously.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I had trouble doing stuff on call too - would always be worried the pager was going to go off, so I wouldn't want to do anything that would take more than a few minutes so I wouldn't get interrupted, like reading a chapter, sleeping, or call room nookie. Therefore I just kind of laid there and stared at recall or something. 😳
 
yaah said:
I had trouble doing stuff on call too - would always be worried the pager was going to go off, so I wouldn't want to do anything that would take more than a few minutes so I wouldn't get interrupted, like reading a chapter, sleeping, or call room nookie.
Call room nookie. Isn't there like an ice-cube's chance in heck of being on call the same night as the person you want to nookie with in the first place?
 
deschutes said:
Call room nookie. Isn't there like an ice-cube's chance in heck of being on call the same night as the person you want to nookie with in the first place?
he was referring to nookie with his right hand.

i pray for the kittens...
 
deschutes said:
Call room nookie. Isn't there like an ice-cube's chance in heck of being on call the same night as the person you want to nookie with in the first place?

Something like that. For some people, this might be an issue. Not for me though. Not the kind of thing that would ever happen to me anyway.
 
I got up 2 hours earlier than I had intended.

****, I'm hungry. what's for lunch?
 
I'm feeling incredibly lazy today. I'm really not feeling like going into lab...but I skipped yesterday so I have to go in today.
 
AndyMilonakis said:
I'm feeling incredibly lazy today. I'm really not feeling like going into lab...but I skipped yesterday so I have to go in today.

I hear ya. I am feeling lazy too and have to go in as well. Even though I went in yesterday! :meanie:
 
beary said:
I hear ya. I am feeling lazy too and have to go in as well. Even though I went in yesterday! :meanie:
Despite the realization, I am still sitting here at home. And I also fully realize that the later I start, the later I stay in the lab. I have a nice 6+ hour day waiting ahead of me. Of course, most of that time will be watching 4 stupid gels run :laugh: I'm tempted to run the gels at 25 volts, set it for overnight, and just come right back home.
 
AndyMilonakis said:
Of course, most of that time will be watching 4 stupid gels run :laugh: I'm tempted to run the gels at 25 volts, set it for overnight, and just come right back home.

This is definitely what you should do. This is what I always do on weekends.
 
I had my Bates physical exam textbook and I threw it away when I moved. I was looking for it the other day because the girl was asking me about proper draping techniques because apparently her doctor was telling her about proper draping techniques and how he got an A on that test, and she didn't believe me when I said they taught us how to drape people appropriately. But I threw it away. 😳
 
Everyday I'm going to take a few books from Pile #1 and on my way to work each day, I'm going to dump them. By the end of the month, Pile #1 shall be no more.
 
deschutes said:
Wow. I just got rid of the last of my For-Sale-pile books. Chalk up another $12 to the moving fund!
wow you sold all those books for three-fiddy american dollars? wow you got ripped off.

was the person who bought the books from you a 10-foot-tall crustacean from the paleolithic era?

GOD DAMN LOCH NESS MONSTAH! I AIN'T GIVIN' YOU NO TREE-FIDDY, I WORK HARD FOR MY MONEY, I DON'T JUST GIVE IT AWAY!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Some people will buy anything if they are convinced there is even the slightest chance they will use it, if it is on sale.

I also had these piles of things I wanted and things I didn't. In the end, I only ended up keeping the pile of definites. Everything else got chucked, although a couple of things got moved into the definite pile. but only a couple.
 
yaah said:
Some people will buy anything if they are convinced there is even the slightest chance they will use it, if it is on sale.

I also had these piles of things I wanted and things I didn't. In the end, I only ended up keeping the pile of definites. Everything else got chucked, although a couple of things got moved into the definite pile. but only a couple.
Yeah...I'm gonna show my junk who's daddy (addendum: that sounded really really wrong :laugh: ). I moved a bunch of junk up here from Baltimore...I should have chucked a bunch of things then.
 
AndyMilonakis said:
Yeah...I'm gonna show my junk who's daddy (addendum: that sounded really really wrong :laugh: ). I moved a bunch of junk up here from Baltimore...I should have chucked a bunch of things then.

The clue should be that if you have stuff here that you brought, but haven't even touched since you moved, you could probably throw it out. I tried to use that rule when I left worcester but it didn't often work. I kept saying to myself, "well I didn't use it at all during med school, but I might find a reason!"
 
yaah said:
The clue should be that if you have stuff here that you brought, but haven't even touched since you moved, you could probably throw it out. I tried to use that rule when I left worcester but it didn't often work. I kept saying to myself, "well I didn't use it at all during med school, but I might find a reason!"
That's a good rule. Again, when I follow that rule, I'm only going to be moving a small pile of books only, most of which are music books. I'm not moving furniture or appliances either...slumming is so not first class. I'm buying everything brand new at my destination when I (hopefully) get my condo.
 
I got dumped on last year when a whole bunch of friends left, some of whom were total hoarders. I've sent out two For Sale lists now. On top of that I just realized I still have a pile of Step 2 books to sell in May!

My definites are going to have to fit in 3, maybe 4 suitcases - and a trolley bag. I honestly doubt I own anything which is worth more than it would cost to ship.
 
Exactly...I don't wanna play shipping. And I certainly don't wanna have to deal with a moving company.
 
Moving companies suck. I cannot understand why someone doesn't start a moving company that

1) Comes when they say they will
2) Does things professionally without asking you hundreds of questions
3) Takes responsibility for their actions
4) Has people working for them who speak english.
5) Accepts a check or credit card for payment instead of cash.
6) Doesn't break things.

If a company did these things, everyone would use them, and perhaps even pay a bit extra. They would clean up! But they don't exist.
 
I have never used a moving company before. But I have heard of enough horror stories to not want to use one in the immediate future.
 
I still think cardboard carton bookshelves >>>>>>>> moving companies. 😎 At least temporarily.

My plan:

Step 1) Sell and recoup losses
Step 2) Dump/donate all that remains which I don't want
Step 3) Flee country
 
I am afraid that if I move for residency (*sob*) I may have to use a moving company. I actually have acquired quite a bit of furniture during grad school. I suppose I may be able to just rent a uhaul and recruit my folks to come help me. The thought of moving is enough to make me want to stay here for sure.
 
beary said:
I am afraid that if I move for residency (*sob*) I may have to use a moving company. I actually have acquired quite a bit of furniture during grad school. I suppose I may be able to just rent a uhaul and recruit my folks to come help me. The thought of moving is enough to make me want to stay here for sure.
Well if you are attached to your furniture and it is in good shape and you have a lot of it, it would be worth moving it via a moving company or a u-haul.

Fortunately, I have a roommate who is staying in Ann Arbor for one more year and is willing to take stuff off my hands. For instance, I can't fit my 36'' TV in my car so he agreed to buy it off me. Note to self...in Boston I will buy one of those HDTV flat panels...those will fit in my car.
 
AndyMilonakis said:
Well if you are attached to your furniture and it is in good shape and you have a lot of it, it would be worth moving it via a moving company or a u-haul.

This is definitely what I would have to do. I have recently gotten a matching bedroom set (chest, dresser, nightstand, and mirror). I like it a lot and that in and of itself would take up a lot of space.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
deschutes said:
I think it will be Tomoyasu Hotei's ''Battle Without Honor Or Humanity'' from Kill Bill 😀

I actually currently have the 2-disc Les Miserables set playing. Powerful stuff.

Good choice. I went with bluegrass banjo music in the full style of Dukes of Hazzard.

I thought about UHaul as well, but it turned out to be cheaper to get the moving company, since the UHaul is one way. Moving companies suck though. They know it, we know it, yet no one does anything about it except sit there and take it.
 
beary said:
This is definitely what I would have to do. I have recently gotten a matching bedroom set (chest, dresser, nightstand, and mirror). I like it a lot and that in and of itself would take up a lot of space.
I know my situation is a little different, but I managed to persuade myself to sell. I knew I'd have fun shopping for new 🙂
 
I got my evaluation. It's over. I'm done with Gen Surg.

My preceptor is away for the rest of the week 😀 And there is no service (apart from 3 inpatients from today...) to speak of, nor anyone who cares.

I'll just stay home take things easy and study for this final exam.

Me (to preceptor, while scrubbing for the last case): "We've discussed this. You give me a 5, and I'll give you a 5."
Him: "But I don't need a five."
Me: "Neither do I!"

I knew he'd be out the door once the mesh plug was in, so I gave the eval to the OR nurse to tape to the front of the chart. They all found that amusing.

"She's going to make a great surgeon!" says OR nurse.
"I'm going into pathology!" I say.