The Official August 2, 2013 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Qester

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The date is quickly approaching and it is time to step it up guys!

Who all is taking the test on this date?

Lets work together and make sure we all score well!

Members don't see this ad.

Well guys just wrote my first full length AAMC #3

Composite: 28
Physical: 9
Verbal: 9
Biology: 10

If i can score a 28 on August 2nd I will be happy.

Well guys just wrote my first full length AAMC #3

Composite: 28
Physical: 9
Verbal: 9
Biology: 10

If i can score a 28 on August 2nd I will be happy.

Good start! :thumbup: You can get it to 32+ if unlike me you stay motivated... Are you applying this cycle?

Good start! :thumbup: You can get it to 32+ if unlike me you stay motivated... Are you applying this cycle?

Looking at Caribbean for January or May. I feel I likely got lucky in the physical science portion and a 26-27 is more reflective of my actual knowledge base.

Members don't see this ad :)
Looking at Caribbean for January or May. I feel I likely got lucky in the physical science portion and a 26-27 is more reflective of my actual knowledge base.

Why do you want to go carib? I heard that going to the Caribbean is risky in term of finding any residency... You are not even considering DO....

I'm Canadian so its hard to get into the States for DO.

Who told you that? Fellow Canadian here... All I can say is you can go DO and you will get interviews at many DO schools if your MCAT/GPA is slightly above average.

Do not settle only for 8 in PS! You can easily increase PS by 3+ points if you use TPR and EK1001....I think you should shoot for 30+ since you VR skill is not that bad--but probably needs some 'refining' so to speak...

I have improved my PS to 10 on TPR's practice test . For each point I gain in PS, I lose a point in verbal reasoning. I started at 7, and now am down to 5 on my last TPR practice test. I'm becoming more and more skeptical about their "skip the hard passage strategy." I don't know if I should forget their strategy or stick with it. I am content with a 7 in VR (like my first MCAT 4/27) on my retake, but definitely do NOT want to go below.

Who told you that? Fellow Canadian here... All I can say is you can go DO and you will get interviews at many DO schools if your MCAT/GPA is slightly above average.

Well my GPA is less than stellar (3.25) hence I was looking at carib

Depends on the school, as far as i know the 'Big 4' require the MCAT.

Right. I know that. I meant do they just want you to take it or will your scores have to be competitive (22+ from what I know)? Because I know they have a reputation of not being very selective so they can get people to pay the tuition and weed them out after they don't do well in the harsher system there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Right. I know that. I meant do they just want you to take it or will your scores have to be competitive (22+ from what I know)? Because I know they have a reputation of not being very selective so they can get people to pay the tuition and weed them out after they don't do well in the harsher system there.

Well according to an FAQ posted by SGU (http://etalk.sgu.edu/faqs/medfaq.pdf):

Average MCAT
Verbal Reasoning: 9
Physical Science: 9
Biological Science: 10

Average GPA
Undergraduate: 3.34
Undergraduate Science: 3.26
Graduate: 3.59

The other big Caribbean schools from what I see have very similar stats.

Well according to an FAQ posted by SGU (http://etalk.sgu.edu/faqs/medfaq.pdf):

Average MCAT
Verbal Reasoning: 9
Physical Science: 9
Biological Science: 10

Average GPA
Undergraduate: 3.34
Undergraduate Science: 3.26
Graduate: 3.59

The other big Caribbean schools from what I see have very similar stats.

if you look on SGU's website, they list a 25 MCAT average

Time to revive! The MCAT is just around the corner!

I am no where near prepared, I am still not done content review, let alone taking practice tests or practice problems.

I had to take a break in the middle to study for my NCLEX-RN which I wrote last week.

Here's to cram studying!!!

Time to revive! The MCAT is just around the corner!

I am no where near prepared, I am still not done content review, let alone taking practice tests or practice problems.

I had to take a break in the middle to study for my NCLEX-RN which I wrote last week.

Here's to cram studying!!!

Uh, yeah, about that.

I'd consider postponing. You're severely behind. You know this is not how you do this test.

Well I believe it's to late for me to postpone.

I will write a few more AAMCs in the coming weeks and if my score is subpar I will void it and take it as an expensive learning experience.

Am I correct in the thinking that there is no downside to voiding except not knowing what you scored and the loss of $300?

well i believe it's to late for me to postpone.

I will write a few more aamcs in the coming weeks and if my score is subpar i will void it and take it as an expensive learning experience.

Am i correct in the thinking that there is no downside to voiding except not knowing what you scored and the loss of $300?

$270*

Just took AAMC #4 scored

Composite: 30
Physics: 8
Verbal: 12
Bio: 10

I'm going to study a few more days and take a few more, if I can get 28+ on two more I will score it i think.

My physical science is so low science I haven't taken Physics/Chemistry in 8+ years and I still have more than 50% of the content to cover but I feel that I can put in some serious work and bring that up quickly.

I'm joining this thread for discussion because (although still quiet) mine is silent... Qester have you taken AAMC 11? Make sure you do the BS section before you hop into your real MCAT, it is definitely different from the other AAMC tests (I like the BS style here, it's just stressful and you have to focus to stay calm).

I'm joining this thread for discussion because (although still quiet) mine is silent... Qester have you taken AAMC 11? Make sure you do the BS section before you hop into your real MCAT, it is definitely different from the other AAMC tests (I like the BS style here, it's just stressful and you have to focus to stay calm).

Hey no I have only taken 3 and 4 so far

AAMC7 : 10PS/5VR/10BS... F... verbal...

What should I do?

AAMC 7 VR was def hard as hell... Not saying it's an excuse but it's probably an outlier for most people. If you are doing 'well' on your other VR sections I think you are OK. But only you know best and it also depends on your goal as well. Gluck!

AAMC 7 VR was def hard as hell... Not saying it's an excuse but it's probably an outlier for most people. If you are doing 'well' on your other VR sections I think you are OK. But only you know best and it also depends on your goal as well. Gluck!

My goal is 8+ in VR and my overall goal is 28+.... Is there time to bring my VR score to an 8+? I only have the self assessment left to do... I have been doing poorly in VR, but my score never dropped to a 5 until yesterday...

My goal is 8+ in VR and my overall goal is 28+.... Is there time to bring my VR score to an 8+? I only have the self assessment left to do... I have been doing poorly in VR, but my score never dropped to a 5 until yesterday...

Not sure what to tell you. If you have never scored an 8 or higher, it is unlikely, but not impossible, that you will get that on the real day. I suggest starting those AAMC SA's immediately... review like a mad man and then see how your next AAMC FL VR score is...

Not sure what to tell you. If you have never scored an 8 or higher, it is unlikely, but not impossible, that you will get that on the real day. I suggest starting those AAMC SA's immediately... review like a mad man and then see how your next AAMC FL VR score is...

I scored a 9 on AAMC4 but that was my only 9 on an AAMC test. I scored many 8 and 9 on EK 101 though. I will start with the SA tomorrow... Thanks for you advice though.

I scored a 9 on AAMC4 but that was my only 9 on an AAMC test. I scored many 8 and 9 on EK 101 though. I will start with the SA tomorrow... Thanks for you advice though.

Obviously the better you are scoring on practice VR, the better. But keep in mind there is the luck factor... I wouldn't depend on it, but it's there... Someone from my university never scored above a 7 in VR on any practice test. She got a 10 on the real deal. :mad:

To give a different perspective, I average 11s on AAMC VR but got a 13 on AAMC 7 (37/40). Didn't think it was any harder than usual.

Hey guys! I am retaking the exam for this date. I wrote one at June 20th, 2 pm, with a score of 32 (13/8/11) I was so disappointed with my verbal score. Since I am trying to apply to many Canadian medical schools, I am trying to achieve at least a 35. Any tips would nice at this point.
Thanks!

Hey guys! I am retaking the exam for this date. I wrote one at June 20th, 2 pm, with a score of 32 (13/8/11) I was so disappointed with my verbal score. Since I am trying to apply to many Canadian medical schools, I am trying to achieve at least a 35. Any tips would nice at this point.
Thanks!

Hey, start by reading the MCAT threads and using the search function. Lots of gold all around.

I would if I could, dude/dudette.

Heh, I feel you. I seem to do pretty well on my VR as well but I have only done 2 EK101 and 2x AAMC and am averaging around an 11 on them. VR is just one of those things that I wouldn't even know where to start preparing for and am just glad that it seems I can do it well...

Physical sciences on the other hand....

One week left, I can't believe it. Still have test 11 to take, so far I've done 3-10

27,25,28,28,31,34,35 (#3 second time), 30 (test 10 which I took today). I'm applying this cycle so this test is basically all or nothing for me. How am I lookin?

Hey guys. I'm freaking out because I'm taking this test next Friday as well. Been studying as much as I can, but I don't feel confident, especially with the PS section. BS section I'm average, and verbal I got down. Any advice on how I should use the next five days? Anyone who just took the MCAT would be great to comment or inbox me with anything, from what exams I should look over, books, or videos. God I hate this exam!

One week left, I can't believe it. Still have test 11 to take, so far I've done 3-10

27,25,28,28,31,34,35 (#3 second time), 30 (test 10 which I took today). I'm applying this cycle so this test is basically all or nothing for me. How am I lookin?

Looks awesome! Keep it up! I'm struggling over here lol.

Doc I am in the same situation. What I am doing is watching quick videos on all the PS topics to become familiar with all the information, then going to focus on learning the "easier" concepts for me so that I will nail all the questions that come my way.

Doc I am in the same situation. What I am doing is watching quick videos on all the PS topics to become familiar with all the information, then going to focus on learning the "easier" concepts for me so that I will nail all the questions that come my way.

I've been doing the same, though the PS section is really killing me. Funny I got A's in both my physics classes, even though I don't remember much of what I learned haha :/. What would a voided MCAT look like on my record? Considering this option, and taking the exam again late September or January. Not sure what this voided mark would look like though.

I've been doing the same, though the PS section is really killing me. Funny I got A's in both my physics classes, even though I don't remember much of what I learned haha :/. What would a voided MCAT look like on my record? Considering this option, and taking the exam again late September or January. Not sure what this voided mark would look like though.

Voided means exactly that. It doesn't show up. :smack:

Voided means exactly that. It doesn't show up. :smack:

Really? I thought there would be a mark on my record saying that I took the exam and didn't have it graded? At least that's what I remember reading on here. This would be good news then, except shelling out another 270 for the exam uggh.

Really? I thought there would be a mark on my record saying that I took the exam and didn't have it graded? At least that's what I remember reading on here. This would be good news then, except shelling out another 270 for the exam uggh.

From MCAT Essentials:
"Indication of a voided exam will be displayed in the MCAT THx system, but the fact that you
chose to void an exam is not released to any medical schools."

What are you scoring on your practice exams?

Usually it's bad to void unless you know you did terrible. Like if you missed a passage or two because of time then it's probably a bad idea. It'd really stink if you voided a 30+ without even knowing it.

Anyways, good luck. I'm totally bugging out with one week left. As long as I can pull a 30 I'll feel very relieved

From MCAT Essentials:
"Indication of a voided exam will be displayed in the MCAT THx system, but the fact that you chose to void an exam is not released to any medical schools."

Sweet! That's a relief that medical schools won't be able to see I voided the exam. Sucks it's too late to change the test date.

What are you scoring on your practice exams?

I haven't been able to break 27 through four exams, and PS has been scored 7-8. My verbal is great, and BS has been good except my ochem is rusty. Will try to go through 4 more exams, but it's not looking good.

Usually it's bad to void unless you know you did terrible. Like if you missed a passage or two because of time then it's probably a bad idea. It'd really stink if you voided a 30+ without even knowing it.

Anyways, good luck. I'm totally bugging out with one week left. As long as I can pull a 30 I'll feel very relieved

That's what I was thinking, but I don't feel confident at all with only 5 days left with a rest day before the exam. I don't want to void, but I don't want a score <29 on my record. Hope at least you can handle it next week!