The Official August 2, 2013 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Qester

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The date is quickly approaching and it is time to step it up guys!

Who all is taking the test on this date?

Lets work together and make sure we all score well!

Members don't see this ad.

I sound similar to you, I am getting 7-8 on my PS ~10 on BS and ~11-12 on Verbal.

I have never taken orgo either. I am hoping for a 28+ but what scares me is the Verbal wild card, I do very well but If i have a bad day it can wreck my score

That's what I was thinking, but I don't feel confident at all with only 5 days left with a rest day before the exam. I don't want to void, but I don't want a score <29 on my record. Hope at least you can handle it next week!

Thanks I appreciate it. I'm hoping I can too. All this stress and worrying better be worth it.

I think it's better that you at least plan on taking it and voiding it. By this point, you aren't going to receive much of a refund. Might as well get the real test experience since everyone claims to say it's different than the practice tests. Even if you void it, at least you'll know what it's like, and if you feel better than you thought you would at the end you can always keep the score.

I sound similar to you, I am getting 7-8 on my PS ~10 on BS and ~11-12 on Verbal.

I have never taken orgo either. I am hoping for a 28+ but what scares me is the Verbal wild card, I do very well but If i have a bad day it can wreck my score

That's the thing about VR. Even though I'm scoring well now, I could get screwed come exam day. That would drop my score to a possible 25-27. If my PS doesn't improve, not sure I want that thing to be graded.

Thanks I appreciate it. I'm hoping I can too. All this stress and worrying better be worth it.

I think it's better that you at least plan on taking it and voiding it. By this point, you aren't going to receive much of a refund. Might as well get the real test experience since everyone claims to say it's different than the practice tests. Even if you void it, at least you'll know what it's like, and if you feel better than you thought you would at the end you can always keep the score.

The plan is to take the exam for sure, as I would have to show up anyway to void it. It's too late for a refund and date change, so I'm going to take the exam and work through it before voiding at the end. Might as well get some experience out of it before stressing for another month and a half for the September exam lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
Update: Finally hit 11 in verbal, but just barely. I also finished two of the assessments. Judging by my scores I guess I shouldn't have done them while listening to music :laugh:

Last edited:
Update: Finally hit 11 in verbal, but just barely. I also finished two of the assessments. Judging by my scores I guess I shouldn't have done them while listening to music :laugh:

Hey newb, so it's kind of obnoxious to post huge images of your progress when 1) you're a newbie to the forums (and therefore have had no contribution to the site yet), 2) no one asked for any such thing, and 3) you don't post anything else but this stuff (see point #1).

Just so you know how this place works. It's not a place to flaunt your progress without helping and making contributions to the forums.

@Ncognito... Your FL scores are amazing compared to these SA scores... What books are you using for BS?

Hey newb, so it's kind of obnoxious to post huge images of your progress when 1) you're a newbie to the forums (and therefore have had no contribution to the site yet), 2) no one asked for any such thing, and 3) you don't post anything else but this stuff (see point #1).

Just so you know how this place works. It's not a place to flaunt your progress without helping and making contributions to the forums.

My bad, I have another account on here where I post regularly. I just wanted to make a throw away account for talking about my progress (hence the username Ncognito). I made it anonymous so it wouldn't be flaunting, but I guess it probably came off that way. I would have loved to see a table like this before starting my TBR Fls just to have an idea where I was at, so I thought others would want the same. Once again, I apologize.

@Ncognito... Your FL scores are amazing compared to these SA scores... What books are you using for BS?

I only read EK with the SN2ed schedule (modified). But the difference between this year and last year is honestly just more courses. I have metabolic biochemistry, mammalian physiology II, molecular biology, and ochem lab under my belt now so BS feels much easier. Plus, the difference between last year and this year is 6 weeks vs. 4 months of studying. I feel much more confident now. I used to be afraid of those random discrete questions but now I realize that they're not as random as you'd think. You can probably eliminate three of the answers because you know what they are. It then comes down to having the confidence to choose the answer that you've never seen before.

Also, I learned this year to never become complacent. I remember when I took TBR 1 (my first FL) a few weeks ago. My roommates asked me how I did, I said 36. They said, then why the hell do you look upset? I told them it's not the number. It's the fact that I put in 4 months of my life for this test and I misread the word "except," I messed up on basic math, I forgot that a lower Ka means a weaker acid, etc. I could care less if I come across a question that is completely beyond my ability to understand. Those questions are for the geniuses. I get mad when I make dumb mistakes just like on midterms and finals in undergrad. So, I used this anger and frustration as motivation to keep pushing myself. I learned to take things slower and to really digest every word I was reading. I also started marking questions that involved any math. I usually have 10-20 minutes left in PS, so I started to spend this time redoing the math-based questions. This has saved me several times and I'm sure it will do the same for all of you.

Last edited:
Just had a thought thinking about how the test is only in five days. Does anyone else feel how humble the MCAT has made you? I used to think I was pretty good in school. I could gets As in most of my classes and I thought I understood all the material that was presented to me. Then comes this test that involves simply the basic sciences and I start to struggle. I'm not sure exactly what medical schools see from this test. It may be that it tells them we have it in us to dedicate months of our lives for one big event. I then saw it as a glorified IQ test, but I don't think it's that. What I think it's about is telling them how much we care about learning. Are we memorizing physics equations or are we really thinking about the concepts.

I guess that's why I struggled with the electricity and magnetism section; I couldn't visualize what was happening. It took hours of talking with my friend on the phone before things clicked. That's what they want. Dedication. Passion. They want us to be fantasizing about this stuff when we sleep just like when we're all in medical school. They want us to be walking around thinking about what part of our body is doing what. They want us to look at a car skidding to a stop at a red light and thinking about the coefficient of friction of the road. They want us to be urinating, notice that the color is not red and thank our glomerulus for doing it's job. Science is a critical part of our life and we have to prove to them how much we enjoy it. But as for verbal....yeah, that's more about IQ than anything else (and how many books you've read in your life) :laugh:

Last thing to end my seemingly pointless rant. The post-doc I work with told me two months ago that you know you're ready for this test when you're actually excited to take it. Like you can't even sleep (not because of nerves) but because you're so fricken amped up to destroy this thing. That's how I feel now and I'm hoping everyone else in here feels the same.

Last edited:
Nope, I was humbled way before this ****. I was humbled as soon as I matriculated at my Ivy and realized everyone else was better. I was humbled when the average on the first midterm in freshman orgo was a 91. I was humbled when the final class average for cell bio was a 92. I was humbled when I realized that the guy who sat next to me in math had just come back from Turkey with his IChO gold medal (I only made honors on the national semifinal exam.) I was humbled when I found out that blind kid we always saw around had a 4.0 and a first-author publication by junior year. I was humbled when my big sib got a full merit package from WashU (3.95/41).

Never got straight As, never will. (Do A-s count, though? :smuggrin:) Don't really care, either.

I was humbled way before the MCAT, and I'm glad it'll remain that way for the rest of my career.

I've always been curious how different Ivy league schools are in comparison to state schools. I'm a transfer at one of the top UC's and in my head I thought learning Sn2 and Sn1 is the same no matter what school you go to. But I'm guessing that what makes an Ivy so much different is the environment. Are there more notable alumni from Ivy's because they simply graduated from their or because they were bred at the school to be better thinkers? I can't even imagine how competitive everything must feel. Like when I found out my brilliant psychology professor was from Columbia. I thought did they really see all this potential in him out of high school or did Columbia transform him into the person he is today?

What do you think?

And going around making pointless comments on everyone's thread is? You're to talk bud.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've always been curious how different Ivy league schools are in comparison to state schools. I'm a transfer at one of the top UC's and in my head I thought learning Sn2 and Sn1 is the same no matter what school you go to.

It kind of varies. The upper tier universities- especially the Ivy- will generally expect a little more out of their students. They may cover the same concepts as anyone else, but then take them to the extreme on exams, etc.

It's true what you said also. A lot of students that matriculate into the Ivy schools were bred to be students, however that doesn't necessarily mean they're more intelligent. From their scholastic start, the parents shape them into little "class-setting thinkers". Generally enrolling them in private schools from the ground up. A lot- but not all- of these students are brilliant when it comes to book smarts, but when it comes to logic they're no better off than if they went to a public school in the inner city.

Just a bunch if personal observations from my experience.. or watch the 80s movie, Trading Places :D.

Here we go!

I work today a full 12 hours, plan to get through all the bio material :\
Tomorrow Finish up my content review for physics
Wed, Thursday Review
Friday hopefully not choke!

Here we go!

I work today a full 12 hours, plan to get through all the bio material :\
Tomorrow Finish up my content review for physics
Wed, Thursday Review
Friday hopefully not choke!

Take it easy on Thursday, mang. Your brain will thank you.

It kind of varies. The upper tier universities- especially the Ivy- will generally expect a little more out of their students. They may cover the same concepts as anyone else, but then take them to the extreme on exams, etc.

It's true what you said also. A lot of students that matriculate into the Ivy schools were bred to be students, however that doesn't necessarily mean they're more intelligent. From their scholastic start, the parents shape them into little "class-setting thinkers". Generally enrolling them in private schools from the ground up. A lot- but not all- of these students are brilliant when it comes to book smarts, but when it comes to logic they're no better off than if they went to a public school in the inner city.

Whoa der, now you're getting on a slippery slope, i.e., how does one measure logic through the traditional means that college education has given us? How does book smart line up with this, if at all? This is inherently a subject of intense debate and controversy, if you'd ask me. What ends up happening on SDN especially is that the group judged to be the "same" or even "less than" the other group will lash out and claim BS, and then it all goes downhill.

As for the point about concepts and exams, no and yes. I know that our professors tend to cover a bit more material in more depth than do their counterparts at state schools, though I know UCs are a different beast in and of itself, so I can only speak for the state schools that my friends go to. On the exams, it's a whole other ball game lol. My problem with the way this is set up is that because of the research-intensive environment that the professors operate in, they tend to force this expectation on science students, especially when it comes exam time. Like, I get that experimental design is supposed to train us in logic a lot better than rote memorization techniques, and that logic is important in science and everything else. I wouldn't be so against it if they didn't take it to such extremes. There are intermediate ways of doing things. For example, there was a bizarre question on my cell bio final that asked you the steps you would take with full explanations to discover some crap in a cell that I don't remember. Someone found the answer online, and it was through a Cell paper. Of course, we weren't expected for such detail as was disseminated in the paper, but the professor told us he was expecting at least something similar given what we were taught and expected to synthesize. Um...ok. Guess I deserved my B+ with an 88 on that final then?!?!??!!?!!?!??! (This was a special case; not all classes are like I described.)

We're also not all private schools trust-fund kiddies, just so you know. I believe the figure was 70% are still from public schools. Granted, some of them may be magnet or highly specialized in some way, but still publicly funded.

I've always been curious how different Ivy league schools are in comparison to state schools. I'm a transfer at one of the top UC's and in my head I thought learning Sn2 and Sn1 is the same no matter what school you go to. But I'm guessing that what makes an Ivy so much different is the environment. Are there more notable alumni from Ivy's because they simply graduated from their or because they were bred at the school to be better thinkers? I can't even imagine how competitive everything must feel. Like when I found out my brilliant psychology professor was from Columbia. I thought did they really see all this potential in him out of high school or did Columbia transform him into the person he is today?

What do you think?

Learning SN1/SN2 may be the same, but they present it and expect mastery demonstrated back in very different ways, because I've seen my friend's orgo exams at SUNY. Again, UCs are probably more intensive than NYS lol.

The environment is actually very friendly. Grades are assigned competitively, and everyone's high-achieving, but that doesn't mean we gun against each other. People have said this before, and I used to think it's bull****, but we're really gunning against our own expectations, nothing else. If you want to collaborate, people will probably say yes, beside the one or two socially awkward dudes you find at every college. Giving notes for missed classes and discussing psets also falls under this category.

As for your second point, I believe it's a mix of both. Here's a disclaimer: I am only speaking for the Ivy I go to, and am not saying that the attributes I'm about to discuss don't exist at other schools. I'm sure they do, but I am just giving a portrait of where I go. Just wanted to clarify that because I've been called elitist/arrogant/condescending before while giving a similar perspective.

I don't know what it means to breed a thinker lol, so I'll stay away from that point. The name of the alma mater definitely factors into why we have more notable alumni than elsewhere. The whole "the adcom did the selecting for us already, these are pretty smart kids on average, etc." attitude. I don't think our school makes us what we were. I think it helps expand potential in us that we never thought existed or possible to unlock. Beyond that, the most notable thing I found about college is the sheer intellectual curiosity, drive, and ambition that most of my peers have. (Yeah, most; some of the football players definitely do not count, but they're still able.) Again, not saying this doesn't exist elsewhere, but coming from a large public high school in New York City where most kids complained about school and classes and disliked most things academic, it was really exciting and a great change of fresh air. The downside of this is that I really think some of my classmates don't know how to relax and take some time off for themselves because of all the things they're involved in and constantly wishing they were involved in (David Brooks once wrote about this 8 years ago in NYT regarding Princeton; not much has changed since then). A classic campus tradition is that of picking/selecting classes (we actually have a special term for this, but it'd give my institution away) every semester. The way people get so excited about what new course offerings are available and how sad they are to discover a time conflict between two things they don't need to take for anything other than curiosity is a very curious phenomenon, and really fun to both watch and partake in. Granted, that only has to do with academics, but extracurricularly, it's very much the same. I don't know how much of this is bull****, résumé-building, corporate ladder climbing training, or something of the like (probably a large percentage though lol), but it exists and it's scary what some of them do. Do we have slackers and those who work the system? Yeah, of course; every college does. But on average, that's not the case. However, it's important to note the resources from the University that we have available to us that not everyone else has, so who knows what might happen if others who were not in our shoes were suddenly here?

I think it is a combination of this characteristic that I've done a very poor job in portraying and the name of our alma maters that promotes our alumni. Is this deserved? I don't know, but it is what it is, and I ain't getting into another debate about the "meritocracy" our country supposedly has, because that's bull****. In the case of your professor at Columbia, he had to have been able before his Columbia name did anything for him. Idiots graduate from Ivies all the time, and hell, they ain't gonna get nowhere any time soon.

That's my two cents. Very unrefined, biased, and frog-in-a-well type view, but that's all I know and how I see it.

Here's the David Brooks article I was referring to. Looks like it was 12 years ago and written in The Atlantic, actually. I know his NYT material leaves something to be desired nowadays, but as an insider, this article is as spot on about the current Ivy environment as one can get. I have nitpicks here and there about it, but they're small issues.

The Organization Kid, by David Brooks

And Princeton orange is still ugly. Just wanted to put that out there. Looks like Halloween costume...

Oh no I'm getting drained!
I covered TPR bio chapters 5,6,7,8 today still have 9,10,11,12 to go and I am starting to falter

Only a few more hours at work then hopefully I can get some serious studying in tonight

Oh no I'm getting drained!
I covered TPR bio chapters 5,6,7,8 today still have 9,10,11,12 to go and I am starting to falter

Only a few more hours at work then hopefully I can get some serious studying in tonight

Be careful! I know many a serious student that burned themselves out the final week before their MCAT.

Don't self sabotage, Qester.

Hey guys. A class buddy turned me on to SDN and I've been pulling a lot of inspiration from reading everyone's posts over the summer so I thought I'de make a profile and chime in. Aug 2 will be my second go-round with the MCAT and I have to agree 100 % with the importance of being well rested when you go into the testing center. On my last attempt I will admit I was a bit cocky because I've always been very strong with standardized testing and thought that the MCAT wouldn't pose much of a threat. Needless to say that attitude along with a sever amount of under-prep knocked my ass to the ground. After spending so much time and effort studying, it is critical to have the mental clarity to retrieve and apply the info you worked so hard to master. I'm going to be spending more time exercising and composing myself than anything else this week. It's the difference between sealing the deal and having to doing it again(considering everything else is there). I hope you guys do great!

My phone notification only showed the snippet of "a class buddy turned me on" and I was like UMMMMMMMMMMMM :barf:

:lol:

Just wrote AAMC 11 my scores thus far look like

AAMC 3: 28 (9/9/10)
AAMC 4: 30 (8/12/10)
AAMC 11: 28 (8/9/11)

I would really like to score a 30 on the MCAT but I am unsure how realistic that is by Friday.

I would really like to score a 30 on the MCAT but I am unsure how realistic that is by Friday.

Not a bad score on AAMC 11... Need some work on PS, which is easier than the other sections IMO...

AAMC 10: 11/6/10 = 27 ... I hate the thought that VR might stop me from getting my dream accomplished....

Stay optimistic. It seems like the consensus is that AAMC tests are good indicators of how you'll perform. Generally an average of the tests you've taken, however you're def in the running to hit a 30.

I believe the PS will kill me!!!!

Great first post and matching handle. All you need is an avatar like this now:

tumblr_mfxmcm7CJX1rues1oo1_400.gif

Those score sound like you know the material well enough. Maybe brush up on some calculations before friday and make sure you go unto the test well rested and calm. I am going on a 15 mile bike ride the night before and will jog a mile or 2 the morning of. That always seems to keep me calm enough to apply everything I've learned. Get those negative thoughts out of your head! You will be fine.

Congratulations, it looks like you have a reasonable shot at 30. I took AAMC #11 a few days ago and got 31 (13, 7, 11), I improved 8 points from AAMC #10. I hope we can translate our practice scores into our actual scores on our September score report. Good luck to you. I'll trade you a verbal reasoning point for a physical science point...:laugh:

Congratulations, it looks like you have a reasonable shot at 30. I took AAMC #11 a few days ago and got 31 (13, 7, 11), I improved 8 points from AAMC #10. I hope we can translate our practice scores into our actual scores on our September score report. Good luck to you. I'll trade you a verbal reasoning point for a physical science point...:laugh:
8 points from AAMC 10! How far apart you took them?

Finished AAMC 11 yesterday, I really hope the real thing is similar. This test was great in that it didn't require as much memorization as the older AAMCs (e.g. 3 and 4).
My last three AAMCs (9, 10, and 11) are:

AAMC 9: 13PS 11VR 13BS --> 37
AAMC 10: 14PS 10VR 15BS --> 39
AAMC 11: 14PS 13VR 14BS --> 41

I'm hoping this is a continuing trend :D but I know myself. 35-37 is my likely range on test day. For those wondering what happened to my verbal on AAMC 11, I took some advice from a good friend. He told me to go outside on my balcony after the PS section and take deep breaths for ten minutes. He said to clear my head of every thought, every passage, and every question from the previous section. He then said to free myself of any biases or preconceived notions. He said that when I sit down to start the verbal section, don't think about clicking the button or pretending to love every passage or reading the questions first, just start the section without a single thought in your head and just read. Don't focus on every little word, don't try to memorize, don't stress if you don't understand a word; simply flow from sentence to sentence like you're reading a novel. And most importantly, digest EVERY word in the question up until the punctuation. DO NOT SKIM the questions.

I followed this advice fully and the verbal section felt very different. I was able to finish the first two passages in 12 minutes which is much faster than my usual 16. I was better able to pick out the answers that sounded good but weren't really answering the question being asked. Also, he told me to do the head clearing for at least 20 seconds in between passages. I know this sounds like a lot more than the usual 5 second break, but for me the 20 seconds worked wonderfully. I must admit though, I was worn out by passage 5. Fully clearing my head repeatedly was much more tiring than I thought it would be. I guess that's why the only two I missed were from passages 6 and 7. I really wish I had more practice using this strategy, but we'll see what happens Friday. I'm going to do the last 40 questions from the verbal assessment tomorrow as last minute practice.

Good luck to everyone :luck:

Last edited:
Finished AAMC 11 yesterday, I really hope the real thing is similar. This test was great in that it didn't require as much memorization as the older AAMCs (e.g. 3 and 4).
My last three AAMCs (9, 10, and 11) are:

AAMC 9: 13PS 11VR 13PS --> 37
AAMC 10: 14PS 10VR 15PS --> 39
AAMC 11: 14PS 13VR 14BS --> 41

I'm hoping this is a continuing trend :D but I know myself. 35-37 is my likely range on test day. For those wondering what happened to my verbal on AAMC 11, I took some advice from a good friend. He told me to go outside on my balcony after the PS section and take deep breaths for ten minutes. He said to clear my head of every thought, every passage, and every question from the previous section. He then said to free myself of any biases or preconceived notions. He said that when I sit down to start the verbal section, don't think about clicking the button or pretending to love every passage or reading the questions first, just start the section without a single thought in your head and just read. Don't focus on every little word, don't try to memorize, don't stress if you don't understand a word; simply flow from sentence to sentence like you're reading a novel. And most importantly, digest EVERY word in the question up until the punctuation. DO NOT SKIM the questions.

I followed this advice fully and the verbal section felt very different. I was able to finish the first two passages in 12 minutes which is much faster than my usual 16. I was better able to pick out the answers that sounded good but weren't really answering the question being asked. Also, he told me to do the head clearing for at least 20 seconds in between passages. I know this sounds like a lot more than the usual 5 second break, but for me the 20 seconds worked wonderfully. I must admit though, I was worn out by passage 5. Fully clearing my head repeatedly was much more tiring than I thought it would be. I guess that's why the only two I missed were from passages 6 and 7. I really wish I had more practice using this strategy, but we'll see what happens Friday. I'm going to do the last 40 questions from the verbal assessment tomorrow as last minute practice.

Good luck to everyone :luck:

If this trend continue or if there is an AAMC 12, your next score will be 46... Lol

Best of luck guys! I have a friend taking it friday! I took mine July 13, mine was similar to aamc 11 but with a crazy verbal section. Trust in your studying not on post-mcat feelings.

Time to destroy that beast!

So whats your guys strategy for today? I feel pretty good about things and my practice tests have all been in the range I want them, so I kinda want to take the day off and get my mind off things, but I almost feel guilty not studying! Had planned on doing some review in the AM and then chilling in the afternoon, but now I'm losing focus.... looking forward to tomorrow, good luck everyone!

So whats your guys strategy for today? I feel pretty good about things and my practice tests have all been in the range I want them, so I kinda want to take the day off and get my mind off things, but I almost feel guilty not studying! Had planned on doing some review in the AM and then chilling in the afternoon, but now I'm losing focus.... looking forward to tomorrow, good luck everyone!

Chillinnnn + minor review (+/- 1 hour).

Today my study plan is as follows:

Watch videos on the Physics/Chemistry Chapters I haven't got to yet.
Read the last chapter of Biology that I haven't covered yet.
Go watch a soccer game
Drive down to hotel beside test center
Read all the EK1001 Biology "High Yield" answers to have them fresh in my mind
Review chemistry
Sleep

If this trend continue or if there is an AAMC 12, your next score will be 46... Lol

No, his AAMC 12 would be a 43 if then trend continues. A 46 would never happen according to the trend because it was all odd numbers until this point.

Just saying. :p

Well guys I am going to drive down to the hotel now.

I wish everyone the best of luck, remember to score you're exam you have put in the work don't doubt yourself at the last minute.

Good Luck!