The Official "How Does This Schedule Look" Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm in my junior year and with all my transferring and change of major- I have become somewhat behind.

I still have 21 courses to complete in my major not including pre-med requisites which I have barely scratched the surface of.

I have 3 semesters left + 1 summer before I graduate and was thinking of taking 6 courses each semester and some in the summer to graduate on time but was advised on the forum to stay an extra semester or two and lessen my load.

I still have to take a semester of general chemistry + lab, organic chemistry, semester of biology and physics for my pre-med requisites.
Any tips on how to plan the rest of my undergrad?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Freshman behavioral neuroscience major spring semester 2014
  • Biology 2 with lab (4 hrs)
  • General Chemistry with lab (4 hrs)
  • Statistics (3 hrs)
  • American Experience (honors gen ed) (3 hrs)
  • Women Writers in the Developing World (class tied to my study abroad this summer) (3 hrs)
  • Independent Bio Research (1 hr)
18 hours total

I'm in my junior year and with all my transferring and change of major- I have become somewhat behind.

I still have 21 courses to complete in my major not including pre-med requisites which I have barely scratched the surface of.

I have 3 semesters left + 1 summer before I graduate and was thinking of taking 6 courses each semester and some in the summer to graduate on time but was advised on the forum to stay an extra semester or two and lessen my load.

I still have to take a semester of general chemistry + lab, organic chemistry, semester of biology and physics for my pre-med requisites.
Any tips on how to plan the rest of my undergrad?

I don't know what your new major is so I can't plan out your schedule. But gen chem/lab, organic, biology and physics can be finished within your junior year (but feel free to shift into the senior year if you need to).

Freshman behavioral neuroscience major spring semester 2014
  • Biology 2 with lab (4 hrs)
  • General Chemistry with lab (4 hrs)
  • Statistics (3 hrs)
  • American Experience (honors gen ed) (3 hrs)
  • Women Writers in the Developing World (class tied to my study abroad this summer) (3 hrs)
  • Independent Bio Research (1 hr)
18 hours total

Fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ready for this intense schedule...

Human Anatomy with lab
Physiology 2
Learning Psychology
Culture, Technology & War

Total: 13

I love second semester senior year!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Schedule for second semester of junior year:

-Biochemistry II w/ Lab (4)
-Instrumental Analysis w/ Lab (4)
-Advanced Protein Chemistry (3)
-Forensic Science (3)
-Medical Terminology (3)
-Fencing (1)

Total: 18

No more prereqs or gen eds (finished them when I was a sophomore). I couldn't ask for a better schedule.

Next semester:
Animal Biology w/Lab (5)
Plant Biology w/Lab (5)
Calculus II (5)
Music History (3)

Can it be done??

Next semester:
Animal Biology w/Lab (5)
Plant Biology w/Lab (5)
Calculus II (5)
Music History (3)

Total: 18 credits

IS this doable???

Next semester:
Animal Biology w/Lab (5)
Plant Biology w/Lab (5)
Calculus II (5)
Music History (3)

Total: 18 credits

IS this doable???

Ready for this intense schedule...

Human Anatomy with lab
Physiology 2
Learning Psychology
Culture, Technology & War

Total: 13

I love second semester senior year!!!

It's only moderately difficult, but you'll pull it off successfully as long as you don't slack off.

Schedule for second semester of junior year:

-Biochemistry II w/ Lab (4)
-Instrumental Analysis w/ Lab (4)
-Advanced Protein Chemistry (3)
-Forensic Science (3)
-Medical Terminology (3)
-Fencing (1)

No more prereqs or gen eds (finished them when I was a sophomore). I couldn't ask for a better schedule.

A bit challenging (instrumental analysis sounds like analytical chem) but your schedule is doable.

Next semester:
Animal Biology w/Lab (5)
Plant Biology w/Lab (5)
Calculus II (5)
Music History (3)

Can it be done??

No need to repeat it several times. Your schedule is fine.

Calc 1 (5)
Cell Bio 2 (3)
Physics 2 (5)
Physiology (3)

Total credits 16, only nervous about the calculus just because I haven't taken it before

Calc 1 (5)
Cell Bio 2 (3)
Physics 2 (5)
Physiology (3)

Total credits 16, only nervous about the calculus just because I haven't taken it before

You are fine and search online for calc tips. There are thousands of links out there to help you

Howdy!

Sophomore, Spring

Calculus III, 4
Probability and Statistics II, 4
Organic Chemistry II with Lab, 4
World Religions(Gen Ed), 3
Required Mass, .5

Total Credits: 15.5

I was also recommended to present for a symposium for a math-based topic. If I get it, I will also have to present it this semester. I was debating looking for some opportunities to work in for shadowing for what I decide to do, but I don't want to overwhelm myself.

Thoughts?

Ochem II w lab
Bio II w lab
Physics I w lab
Stats (blow off here)
Cognitive Neuroscience

Is this too much? Will be volunteering ~10 hrs a week or so and this is 18 hours. I'd drop Stats before anything else.

Members don't see this ad :)
Spring 2014 (2nd Year)

Classes
Organic Chemistry 2 with Lab (5)
Guitar Class (4)
Electricity and Magnetism (4)
Advanced Writing (4)

Extracurriculars
Volunteering (~10 hours/week)
Working in a Lab (~10 hours/week)

I'm so excited for the guitar class — it fulfills my arts requirement and I'll add to my repertoire (which is currently made of Taylor Swift songs). E&M shouldn't be too bad, I was supposed to take it this semester but switched into Differential Equations instead (it was a prerequisite and I didn't feel like playing catch-up in math). I'm taking Organic 2 with the same professor I have for Organic 1 and she is awesome! I might get credit for my research in a lab ("directed study"), but that might also push me over the credit limit for a semester.

Also, how bad is it to take General Chemistry 1 & 2 after taking Organic 1 & 2? I don't particularly feel like taking Analytic or Physical Chemistry in addition to my upper level physics classes, but I will probably end up doing that anyway.

Spring 2014 (2nd Year)

Classes
Guitar Class (4)
Advanced Writing (4)

Extracurriculars

I'm so excited for the guitar class — it fulfills my arts requirement and I'll add to my repertoire (which is currently made of Taylor Swift songs). E&M shouldn't be too bad, I was supposed to take it this semester but switched into Differential Equations instead (it was a prerequisite and I didn't feel like playing catch-up in math). I'm taking Organic 2 with the same professor I have for Organic 1 and she is awesome! I might get credit for my research in a lab ("directed study"), but that might also push me over the credit limit for a semester.

Also, how bad is it to take General Chemistry 1 & 2 after taking Organic 1 & 2? I don't particularly feel like taking Analytic or Physical Chemistry in addition to my upper level physics classes, but I will probably end up doing that anyway.

I personally liked organic more than gen chem. Organic was more hmm (common sense) most answers can be derived via "electron pushing" and if you know the mechanism. I think you will be fine in Gen chem, a lot of it is plug n chug.

Howdy!

Sophomore, Spring

Calculus III, 4
Required Mass, .5

I was also recommended to present for a symposium for a math-based topic. If I get it, I will also have to present it this semester. I was debating looking for some opportunities to work in for shadowing for what I decide to do, but I don't want to overwhelm myself.

Thoughts?
Seems like a balanced schedule. For O-chem don't procrastinate, there is a lot of mechanisms to learn.

Ochem II w lab
Bio II w lab
Physics I w lab
Stats (blow off here)
Cognitive Neuroscience

Is this too much? Will be volunteering ~10 hrs a week or so and this is 18 hours. I'd drop Stats before anything else.
I guess this is doable. have you done a similar workload before? If you haven't anything similar I would drop something. I am a fan of progressively increasing ones workload because it allows you to learn your limits and expand them. This worked for me. GL

Last edited:
So I want preface this by saying that I only need to take 9 credits this term to graduate, but i'm on the fence about adding one class.
Taking no matter what:
Bacterial Molecular Genetics (3)
Virology (3)
Microbiology Lab TA (3)
MCAT Prep Course (in-class 6 hours a week)
Considering:
Cell and Molecular Biology (4)

Do medical schools look down upon people that don't take a full credit load?
It seems that you are taking 2 classes real classes because the TA is not a real class even though you're getting credit. If you are involved in a lot of EC and/or work, I would sign up for an relatively easy class. I feel this way you are not going to put unnecessary stress while prepping for the mcat. GL

Physics II (5 credits)
Microbial Genetics (3)
Mid-level humanities course (3)
Graduate-level humanities course (3)
Organic Chem Lab I (2)
Psychology of Childhood (3)
Total: 19 hours

I'm also wrapping up my thesis and defending in April

ECs:
-President of 3 organizations - about 5 hours/week between the 3
-Work (2 jobs, 8 hrs/week each, usually night shifts on the weekend)
-Volunteer 3 hrs/week
-Doing a small-ish medical ethics research project

Honors Deductive Logic (3)
German (4)
Cell Biology (3)
Organic 2 (3)
Organic Lab (2)
Research seminar (1)
Total: 16

Should be able to take all the required tests for the logic class before the semester ends if I'm dedicated, effectively making my load 13 hours.

Apologies for the delay.

Howdy!

Sophomore, Spring

Calculus III, 4
Required Mass, .5

Thoughts?

Doable, although you may have to deal with difficult math courses in the future. Just a heads up.

Ochem II w lab
Bio II w lab
Physics I w lab
Stats (blow off here)
Cognitive Neuroscience

No it isn't too much, but i'd advise you to pay special attention to ochem II/lab. It gets a bit intense so don't fall behind. If you aren't confident, then yes, drop stats.

Spring 2014 (2nd Year)

Classes
Guitar Class (4)
Advanced Writing (4)

Extracurriculars

You're fine. And yes, it's okay to take gen chem after ochem, though for me, pchem takes the cake. But don't take upper level chem if you don't want to.

So I want preface this by saying that I only need to take 9 credits this term to graduate, but i'm on the fence about adding one class.
Taking no matter what:
Bacterial Molecular Genetics (3)
Virology (3)
Microbiology Lab TA (3)
MCAT Prep Course (in-class 6 hours a week)
Considering:
Cell and Molecular Biology (4)

Do medical schools look down upon people that don't take a full credit load?

Well you'll be considered part time then. Genereally, maintaining your fulltime (>12 credit) status is the best, so instead of taking cell/mol bio, why not take a gen ed? Your schedule is fine regardless.

Physics II (5 credits)
Microbial Genetics (3)
Mid-level humanities course (3)
Graduate-level humanities course (3)
Organic Chem Lab I (2)
Psychology of Childhood (3)
Total: 19 hours

I'm also wrapping up my thesis and defending in April

ECs:
-President of 3 organizations - about 5 hours/week between the 3
-Work (2 jobs, 8 hrs/week each, usually night shifts on the weekend)
-Volunteer 3 hrs/week
-Doing a small-ish medical ethics research project

You're fine.

Honors Deductive Logic (3)
German (4)
Cell Biology (3)
Organic 2 (3)
Organic Lab (2)
Research seminar (1)
Total: 16

Should be able to take all the required tests for the logic class before the semester ends if I'm dedicated, effectively making my load 13 hours.

You're fine.

Hey guys I was wondering if someone could help me place Orgo lab into my schedule. I'm not sure if i should take it this upcoming spring semester or wait till fall of 2014. here are both schedules:

Spring 14:
Organic Chemistry 2-4 credits
Biology: populations and communities-5 credits
Advanced Spanish Composition- 3
Environmental Sustainability and Law (honors elec) -3
Hispanic culture and text (program requirements) -2
Organic Chemistry Lab (1 credit)

OR

Fall 14:

Intro to Hispanic Linguistics -4
Biochem 1 -3
Calc based Physics 1- 5
Intro to sociology -3
Hispanic culture and texts 2 (program requirements) -2
Organic Chemistry Lab (1credit)

Where do you guys think would be the best place to take Orgo lab? I'm a full time competitive dancer which takes up at least ~20 hours a week plus occasional trips out of state for competitions. I'm a spanish major btw and a freshman. Finished this semester with a 4.0. Thanks!

Stuck somewhere between sophomore and junior year :)
Spring 2014
- Physics 1 (w/ lab) 4
- General Chemistry 1 (w/ lab) 5
- Biology 2 (w/ lab) 5

Summer 2014
- Physics 2 (w/ lab) 5
- General Chemistry 2 (w/ lab) 5
- Molecular Biology 3

ECs
Tutoring Biology 1 (3 hours/week)
EMT 40+ hours/week
Shadowing (hopefully) 5 hours/week, if need be this will drop first :(
Advanced EMT course (20 hours/week, study time included)
Physics was a nightmare the first try (W), I want to go light and focus, hopefully get some awesome grades in these courses!

Last edited:
Hey guys I was wondering if someone could help me place Orgo lab into my schedule. I'm not sure if i should take it this upcoming spring semester or wait till fall of 2014. here are both schedules:

Spring 14:
Organic Chemistry 2-4 credits
Biology: populations and communities-5 credits
Advanced Spanish Composition- 3
Environmental Sustainability and Law (honors elec) -3
Hispanic culture and text (program requirements) -2
Organic Chemistry Lab (1 credit)

OR

Fall 14:

Intro to Hispanic Linguistics -4
Biochem 1 -3
Calc based Physics 1- 5
Intro to sociology -3
Hispanic culture and texts 2 (program requirements) -2
Organic Chemistry Lab (1credit)

Where do you guys think would be the best place to take Orgo lab? I'm a full time competitive dancer which takes up at least ~20 hours a week plus occasional trips out of state for competitions. I'm a spanish major btw and a freshman. Finished this semester with a 4.0. Thanks!

Your schedule is doable either way but take it in the spring with organic 2

Spring 2014
- Physics 1 (w/ lab) 4
- Biology 2 (w/ lab) 5

Summer 2014
- Physics 2 (w/ lab) 5
- Molecular Biology 3

ECs
Tutoring Biology 1
EMT 40+ hours/week
Physics was a nightmare the first try (W), I want to go light and focus, hopefully get some awesome grades in these courses!

Yep you're good to go.

AgentB please re-check! I forgot an EC... how silly of me.

From what you mentioned, only the advanced EMT course seems to add an extra pressure so that can be a challenge. And I assume you have class every day (M-F) in Spring, and with 3 labs, that'll take away some time (though it's still light so you can do well on your classes). I'll still say it's doable, but you'd need to carefully prioritize your activities accordingly.

From what you mentioned, only the advanced EMT course seems to add an extra pressure so that can be a challenge. And I assume you have class every day (M-F) in Spring, and with 3 labs, that'll take away some time (though it's still light so you can do well on your classes). I'll still say it's doable, but you'd need to carefully prioritize your activities accordingly.
Thanks for your feedback :) I may be able to cut the shadowing hours and work hours though, my ride time for class may count as work hours.
You're the best!

What's up, second semester Junior here

Spring 2014:
Human Physiology with lab (6)
Principles of Genetics (3)
General Chem II (4)
General Sociology (3)

Total of 16 credits
Pretty excited about my schedule after an exhausting 18 credit, 7 class, first semester.

Summer 2014:
Human Gross Anatomy with lab (5)
Orgo Chem 1 (4)
Still debating on taking orgo over the summer or not.

ECs:
28 hours a week working as CNA
Want to get 30+ shadowing hours this summer

Sophomore spring:

Orgo 1 (3)
orgo 1 lab (1)
Physics 1 (4)
physics 1 lab (1)
cell bio (3)
History (gen ed) (3)

total:15

Doable?

Thanks for your feedback :) I may be able to cut the shadowing hours and work hours though, my ride time for class may count as work hours.
You're the best!

:oops::oops::bow: glad I could help

What's up, second semester Junior here

Spring 2014:
Human Physiology with lab (6)
Principles of Genetics (3)
General Chem II (4)
General Sociology (3)

Total of 16 credits
Pretty excited about my schedule after an exhausting 18 credit, 7 class, first semester.

Summer 2014:
Human Gross Anatomy with lab (5)
Orgo Chem 1 (4)
Still debating on taking orgo over the summer or not.

ECs:
28 hours a week working as CNA
Want to get 30+ shadowing hours this summer

You're fine in both schedules, and orgo can be taken over the summer without a problem.

Sophomore spring:

Orgo 1 (3)
orgo 1 lab (1)
Physics 1 (4)
physics 1 lab (1)
cell bio (3)
History (gen ed) (3)

Doable?

Yes it's doable.

:oops::oops::bow: glad I could help

You're fine in both schedules, and orgo can be taken over the summer without a problem.

Yes it's doable.
Will adcoms look down on a course load like this especially since I only took 14 credits last semester? Should I take another class?

Will adcoms look down on a course load like this especially since I only took 14 credits last semester? Should I take another class?

Adcoms don't care. Don't add another class. You're fine as it is.

Sophomore spring:

Orgo 1 (3)
orgo 1 lab (1)
Physics 1 (4)
physics 1 lab (1)
cell bio (3)
History (gen ed) (3)

Doable?
You'll do fine. I took a similar course load last semester with the exception of one additional class (17 hours) and I didn't have any scheduling/time/grade issues.

Freshman winter

Gen Chem 2 w/lab
Calculus (integration)
Humanities (much writing)
Biology for Premeds w/lab
Chemistry Study group organized through University

Lab assistant 10-15 hours per week.
My school does not do credit hours, but with lectures, labs, mandatory discussions I have on paper 25 hours of class per week. I'd like to land a fairly simple job as a lab assistant, but would this be too much? Does it look good, or is it superfluous? My last quarter I had the same classes without the Biology and the work and was in class etc around 18 hours per week. I got a 4.0. I'd like to maintain high marks, at least a 3.4.

Freshman winter

Gen Chem 2 w/lab
Calculus (integration)
Humanities (much writing)
Biology for Premeds w/lab
Chemistry Study group organized through University

Lab assistant 10-15 hours per week.
My school does not do credit hours, but with lectures, labs, mandatory discussions I have on paper 25 hours of class per week. I'd like to land a fairly simple job as a lab assistant, but would this be too much? Does it look good, or is it superfluous? My last quarter I had the same classes without the Biology and the work and was in class etc around 18 hours per week. I got a 4.0. I'd like to maintain high marks, at least a 3.4.

All those classes are very doable. Lab assistant is fine but don't overcommit yourself to other ECs (a few more with 3-4 hrs/week) is ok). You should be able to get another 4.0 if you're dedicated to it.

All those classes are very doable. Lab assistant is fine but don't overcommit yourself to other ECs (a few more with 3-4 hrs/week) is ok). You should be able to get another 4.0 if you're dedicated to it.
Thanks man. By the way, do you know if it worth working in the lab? Does it look good? Or is it superfluous?

Thanks man. By the way, do you know if it worth working in the lab? Does it look good? Or is it superfluous?

I figure by lab, you mean a research lab. In that case, it definitely isn't superfluous, although you initially would have to do maintenance work and help grad students out before you could have an independent project. Still, it makes you strong for the top schools in the long run.

Physics 2 +lab
Calc 2
Animal physiology
Sociology 100
Some blow off 1 credit class

17 credits

Shouldn't be too bad, although calc 2 and physics 2 are known to suck at my school...

Spring 2014
- Physics 1 (w/ lab) 4
- Biology 2 (w/ lab) 5

Summer 2014
- Physics 2 (w/ lab) 5
- Molecular Biology 3

ECs
Tutoring Biology 1 (3 hours/week)
EMT 40+ hours/week
Shadowing (hopefully) 5 hours/week, if need be this will drop first :(
Advanced EMT course (20 hours/week, study time included)

It seems that your spring semester will be busy with 3 labs (labs take time with those reports) and 40 hrs of EMT. Good luck, it seems like a lot, but you know yourself better.

For the summer, I would advise against doing all that. If you can, drop one class with lab. I took 7-8 credits during the summer and it was challenging enough, but also allow me to have some fun too. GL

Physics 2 +lab
Calc 2
Animal physiology
Sociology 100

17 credits

Shouldn't be too bad, although calc 2 and physics 2 are known to suck at my school...
Seems like a balanced schedule with some math type of class and biology... For the cal 2 and physics 2, is all about doing a lot of practice problems. Exposing yourself to many types of problems will allow you to develop your problem solving skills and also be ready for any curve ball you might get in an exam. GL

I figure by lab, you mean a research lab. In that case, it definitely isn't superfluous, although you initially would have to do maintenance work and help grad students out before you could have an independent project. Still, it makes you strong for the top schools in the long run.
Not research I'm afraid. Just a job in a Biology lab preparing labs, reagents, equipment for undergrads in addition to general Biology lab maintenance such as looking after cultures, plants, etc. My thinking is that I would get to know the department, and maybe lead to future opportunities.

Physics 2 +lab
Calc 2
Animal physiology
Sociology 100

17 credits

Yup you're fine. Calc 2 and physics 2 can be managed if you have a great textbook.

Not research I'm afraid. Just a job in a Biology lab preparing labs, reagents, equipment for undergrads in addition to general Biology lab maintenance such as looking after cultures, plants, etc. My thinking is that I would get to know the department, and maybe lead to future opportunities.

Well, that could be a problem. I wouldn't invest a lot of time in this, and instead look for other ECs. You could email profs about research and use this experience to spin it up.

It's a great way to start being involved in labs if there aren't a large amount of undergrad research positions available. Make sure your PI knows that you're interested in doing research and maybe ask to have him/her let you know if he/she hears about any openings. Like @Agent B said, preparing reagents and whatnot doesn't really count as research since you're not doing any experimental design or analysis, but it's a good start!

Hey everyone, I spoke with my mentor and have moved my schedule around again, I will put it in as an attachment. It is my entire 3 year plan :)

Attachments

• sch as of 12.27.13.docx
    17 KB · Views: 54
Calculus II - 4 Cr
Cell Biology II - 3 Cr
Genetic Techniques - 3 Cr
Human Genetics - 3 Cr
Physiology Lab - 2 Cr

Plus research (3 Cr) will round out my college career. Woohoo!

Calculus II - 4 Cr
Cell Biology II - 3 Cr
Genetic Techniques - 3 Cr
Human Genetics - 3 Cr
Physiology Lab - 2 Cr

Plus research (3 Cr) will round out my college career. Woohoo!

4/5 bio courses is boring but it's a definitely doable schedule

Hey everyone, I spoke with my mentor and have moved my schedule around again, I will put it in as an attachment. It is my entire 3 year plan :)

I can't view your schedule in my phone for some reason so i'll reply later

Your schedule looks good. Just be extra careful on ochem for MCAT prep, but besides that it's good.