The Official "How Does This Schedule Look" Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Note: I had medically withdrawn this semester, which is why there are no sciences included. I am primarily using this semester for pre-reqs that do not fit elsewhere and to complete the remainder of my gen eds.

Tentative Spring Courses:

Intro to Sociology and Anthropology

Intro to Psych w/ lab

History course (gen ed)

English composition course

Writing is not a strong suit of mine. Do you think this would be too writing heavy?

I think this schedule is doable. You'll probably have a lot of reading in these classes and as you mentioned, writing. Does your school have a writing center? I managed to turn my papers from B's to A's by visiting the writing center regularly and attending ta and instructor office hours for advice and comments. Just remember to start papers early so that you have time to work on it and obtain feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

Spring courses:

Directed research 2 credits (atleast 10 hours per week)
Physiology 4 credits
Biochem 3 credits
Genetics 3 credits
core classes 4 credits

Will this be too much? I'm debating on whether I should take genetics. This is my first time doing directed research, not sure if I'll be doing work outside of the lab.

Spring semester schedule, also last semester before I attend a university!

Bio 1
Chem 1
Intro to Lit
Intro to stats
Theatre workshop (I needed this class, it was the only 2 credit class available)

While...

-Working 25 hours/week
-Volunteering 4 hours/week

That is pretty much it. What do you guys think, will it be doable?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
I think this schedule is doable. You'll probably have a lot of reading in these classes and as you mentioned, writing. Does your school have a writing center? I managed to turn my papers from B's to A's by visiting the writing center regularly and attending ta and instructor office hours for advice and comments. Just remember to start papers early so that you have time to work on it and obtain feedback.

Thank you!

Spring semester schedule, also last semester before I attend a university!

Bio 1
Chem 1
Intro to Lit
Intro to stats
Theatre workshop (I needed this class, it was the only 2 credit class available)

While...

-Working 25 hours/week
-Volunteering 4 hours/week

That is pretty much it. What do you guys think, will it be doable?

I think that schedule has great balance.

However, juggling it with working will require good time management. Is working this much while taking courses something you have previous experience with?

I think that schedule has great balance.

However, juggling it with working will require good time management. Is working this much while taking courses something you have previous experience with?

Yes. This semester I'm currently taking 20 credits which include 2 labs. Although it has been a very difficult semester I think I can do it again. Sadly, my GPA will most likely drop from a 4.0 to a 3.7 or 3.8.

Second semester of Freshman year:
(First semester took a gen ed and the class before all of these. I'm looking at a ~3.8-4.0 depending on finals since I'm right at the barrier for an A in two classes)

Physics 2 (Calc based): 3 Cr
Physics 2 lab: 1 Cr
Chem 2: 3 Cr
Chem 2 lab: 1 Cr
Bio 1: 3 Cr
Bio 1 Lab: 1 Cr
Diffy Q: 4 Cr
Physics Research (I'm a physics major): 1 Cr (anywhere from 1-10 hrs a week depending on how much she likes me. Also this is legit research I'll actually be able to provide valuable input to *possible authorship in the future???*)

17 credits total

Extra Curricular:
8 hours hospital volunteering /week
3 hours free clinic volunteering /week
4 hours other volunteering (food banks, thrift store, etc) /week
shadowing whenever I can get it/fit it in
5 clubs: XC and cycling (pretty easy to participate since it's just exercise I'd do on my own anyways), physics majors club, a cooking club, and another interest club (not too much commitment).

Doable? Concerns? Comments? Still just a freshman here.

I feel that I'm on track so far. My grades aren't suffering (I feel like I could graduate with a 3.75+), I'm starting research which I could very well get publications out of, I'm volunteering a good amount, I have interests outside as shown in my clubs (primarily cycling), and its pretty well rounded I guess? Anything I could add?

Only concern is that since I'm a physics pre-med, at my school its pretty difficult to get in all the "gen-eds" so I'll likely only have taken 3-5 non-science courses by the time I apply... Will that hurt me at all?

Next semester:

Calc II (3 cr.)
Biochemistry II with lab (5 cr.)
French II (6 cr.)
Neuroscience Research (3 cr.)
Total: 17 hours

French isn't my problem due to the fact that I'm fluent. But I'm not sure about doing research with Biochemistry II, biochem lab, and calc II. Math is not my strong suit and I am afraid that I will make a C or worse (on an upward trend right now.) With my upward trend, I will also be doing ER volunteering for 4 hours/week (a good amount of premeds in a small college town + 1 hospital = very competitive clinical volunteer work). I will also be spring rushing a fraternity that I've always wanted to join but only recently got the money to pay for it (long story.)

Is this doable with the social commitments and getting a 4.0 this semester?

Next semester:

Calc II (3 cr.)
Biochemistry II with lab (5 cr.)
French II (6 cr.)
Neuroscience Research (3 cr.)
Total: 17 hours

French isn't my problem due to the fact that I'm fluent. But I'm not sure about doing research with Biochemistry II, biochem lab, and calc II. Math is not my strong suit and I am afraid that I will make a C or worse (on an upward trend right now.) With my upward trend, I will also be doing ER volunteering for 4 hours/week (a good amount of premeds in a small college town + 1 hospital = very competitive clinical volunteer work). I will also be spring rushing a fraternity that I've always wanted to join but only recently got the money to pay for it (long story.)

Is this doable with the social commitments and getting a 4.0 this semester?
If math isn't your strong suit, to succeed in calc two you are going to have to devote a good chunk of time to drilling practice problems. I made a 99 in calc 1 last semester and barely pulled a B in calc two this semester.

Here's my personal anecdote because it's very similar. Currently a sophomore. Spring of Freshman year I took 17 hours of Gen chem2, calc 1, chem lab, intro to theatre, bio1, and a 2 hour seminar course which was just essays over a 2 hour speech every week, all while working 40 hours a week and pulled a 3.75. I pledged this semester while taking Orgo1, calc2, bio2, and American Lit and I'm looking at finishing with a 3.0. I go to a university that most people agree (Even my friends who don't go here but visit) has some of the best if not the best greek life in the country. Fraternities here are ridiculously hard to pledge. They'll consume 40 hours a week, call you randomly at 2:30am asking you to pick up some of the actives from bars, tell you to be at the house at 6 am to clean the house when you left 4 hours before that because the actives were messing with you making the very mess you're going to be back to clean up in 4 hours. They won't care if you have class, if you're instructed to be at the house, you're at the house. After pledge semester you get to live a luxurious lifestyle of no commitments, enjoying the connections, and free access to the social scene without commitment so you can choose to study when you need to or relax when you need to. Just expect one hell of a semester to get there.

As I said, that's only speaking from my universities standpoint. Greek life varies vastly across the country

I'm so excited for the spring semester! I'm taking:
  • Astrophysics and Cosmology 4 credits
  • Quantum Mechanics 4 credits
  • Genetics and Molecular Biology + Lab 4 credit class + 1 credit lab
  • Introduction to Sociology 4 credits
I was going to take Physical Chemistry 1 + Lab before I knew that Astrophysics was offered — but space is just so darn cool and it's a joint graduate/undergraduate level class, which will definitely be interesting! I think Sociology will be super interesting as well. Unfortunately I don't have enough elective space to take all of the humanity classes that I think sound interesting. :/

Fall 2011 (16 units or 14 hours/week of classes)
CHEM 31A: Chemical Principles I (4 units)
MATH 19: Calculus (3 units)
SLE 91: Structured Liberal Education (9 units)

SLE involves reading three books per week

Three cheers for SLE!
Did you apply yet? How did you categorize SLE on AMCAS? It's philosophy, it's history, it's literature, it's religion.....
I'm filling in things now and not sure how I should categorize it.

I'm so excited for the spring semester! I'm taking:
  • Astrophysics and Cosmology 4 credits
  • Quantum Mechanics 4 credits
  • Genetics and Molecular Biology + Lab 4 credit class + 1 credit lab
  • Introduction to Sociology 4 credits
I was going to take Physical Chemistry 1 + Lab before I knew that Astrophysics was offered — but space is just so darn cool and it's a joint graduate/undergraduate level class, which will definitely be interesting! I think Sociology will be super interesting as well. Unfortunately I don't have enough elective space to take all of the humanity classes that I think sound interesting. :/
I first read that as "Astrophysics and Cosmotology!" like hairdresser cosmotology. lol. I knocked out all of my liberal education stuff with my community college associates. So now it's all meaty classes. Yay?

Here's my schedule options for next year:

Chem 1 & 2- in summer term, followed by ochem 1 and bio 1 in fall semester
Pro: not swamped with classes during the summer
Con: working full time, then trying to study for 2 classes (one of which is hard) at night

OR

Chem 1 & 2 + bio 1 & 2 in the summer, followed by ochem 1 in the fall.
Pro: can focus on just class in the summer since I'm not working. Plus I can focus on ochem in the fall instead of worrying about two classes.
Con: taking a year of two science classes in 8 weeks will probably be doable with a lot of work and dedication but I don't know how it would affect my hypothetical mcat score.

I have no idea which option to choose since I feel like they each have a similar amount of pros and cons. Any advice?
I honestly like doing many summer classes because it makes my brain focus on one topic and therefore does not get so scattered, you know what I mean?

Excited for fall! Current schedule:
  • Clinical and Affective Neuroscience
  • Social Psychology
  • Gen Chem 2 + Lab
  • Orgo 1 + Lab
Toying around with the idea of also taking "Evolution and Human Behavior" as a fifth class (counts towards my major), but worried about taking too much on with those two chemistry classes and labs. Thoughts?

Summer
Orgo II noLab 3units
Personality Psychology 4units
7 units

Fall
Cell Bio w/ Lab 4units
Physics II w/Lab 4units
Orgo II Lab 1unit
Sex Psychology 4units
13 units

Should I drop Orgo II lab? 3 labs is kind of a time sink. I am a Bio major so I don't know exactly when I won't be taking labs.

Summer
Orgo II noLab 3units
Personality Psychology 4units
7 units

Fall
Cell Bio w/ Lab 4units
Physics II w/Lab 4units
Orgo II Lab 1unit
Sex Psychology 4units
13 units

Should I drop Orgo II lab? 3 labs is kind of a time sink. I am a Bio major so I don't know exactly when I won't be taking labs.

I took a similar semester last fall. Cell Bio w/ lab, Biochem w/ lab, Biostats, and OCHEM II lab. I also was working 24 hrs a week during this. 3 labs is a time sink, but it is doable. I also had taken 3 labs previously (BIO II, CHM II, and Genetics), so I knew that I could handle it. If you don't feel comfortable taking all 3 labs, drop it and take it another semester. Most upper division electives do not have a required associated lab, so that should give you a little bit more time.

Reactions: 1 user
HI this is the only way to make my classes work. is this ok?:

mon.&wend.&fri. : english 8-8:50am, integrated read./writ. 9-9:50am, A&P1 11-11:50am
mon. : A&P1 Lab 12-1:50pm
wend. : Chem Lab 2:30-5:20pm
tues. & thurs. : Chem 1-2:15pm