The Official "How Does This Schedule Look" Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
does taking 10 credits during your last semester of college look bad? I'm still taking 5 classes.

Members don't see this ad.

Freshman Spring!

Orgo I- 3 hours lecture and 4 hour lab per week
Chin 200- 4 hours per week
Intro to Buddhism- 3 hours per week
Social Psychology-3 hours per week

Trying to take things light since I'm taking orgo as a freshman (most universities have sophomores taking orgo) and I'm looking to work in a lab this semester and/or this summer. Just curious, would social psychology still be considered a science class? It does carry concentration credit for a BS degree in psych. I'm just wondering because some national research/internship programs make you list all science coursework, and I want to have as much as possible without overloading.

Sophomore Spring (19 cr)

Orgo II (4 cr)
Genetics (4 cr)
Sensation & Perception (3 cr)
Hindu Philosophy (3 cr)
Gen Ed (1 cr)
Research (4 cr ~12 hr/wk)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sure there are other people that have asked something similar, but I can't spend hours skimming through 31 pages of schedules. So here's my question: the way I see my schedule panning out, I will be taking Physics starting in fall of 2015 with the intention of taking the MCAT May of 2016, hopefully right after finals. Would that be problematic...studying for the MCAT while still taking physics? Or should that help me, since I will be fresh off of year of physics?

Freshman Spring!

Orgo I- 3 hours lecture and 4 hour lab per week
Chin 200- 4 hours per week
Intro to Buddhism- 3 hours per week
Social Psychology-3 hours per week

Trying to take things light since I'm taking orgo as a freshman (most universities have sophomores taking orgo) and I'm looking to work in a lab this semester and/or this summer. Just curious, would social psychology still be considered a science class? It does carry concentration credit for a BS degree in psych. I'm just wondering because some national research/internship programs make you list all science coursework, and I want to have as much as possible without overloading.

Looks good

Sophomore Spring (19 cr)

Orgo II (4 cr)
Genetics (4 cr)
Sensation & Perception (3 cr)
Hindu Philosophy (3 cr)
Gen Ed (1 cr)
Research (4 cr ~12 hr/wk)

You're fine

I'm sure there are other people that have asked something similar, but I can't spend hours skimming through 31 pages of schedules. So here's my question: the way I see my schedule panning out, I will be taking Physics starting in fall of 2015 with the intention of taking the MCAT May of 2016, hopefully right after finals. Would that be problematic...studying for the MCAT while still taking physics? Or should that help me, since I will be fresh off of year of physics?

I don't think it'll be a problem. This is physics 2 right?

I don't think it'll be a problem. This is physics 2 right?

Yes. Though I am trying to take Physics this upcoming fall at my local CC since my university only offers calc based physics and I don't want or need to take a year of calc (which is mandatory for the physics class, either prior or concurrent).

Looking ahead for next year, I need some feedback on how this may work out:

Soph Fall (19-20 cred)
Orgo I w/ Lab (4 cred)
Calc-based Physics I w/ Lab (4 cred)
Contemporary World (3 cred)
Cell Bio/ Genetics/ Virology (3 cred- don't know which one to pick yet)
English Class (3 cred)
Undergraduate Research (2-3 cred)

Soph Spring (16-17 cred)
Orgo II w/ Lab (4 cred)
Calc-based Physics II w/ Lab (4 cred)
English Class (3 cred)
Nutrition (3 cred)

I'm a little unsure about taking 20 credits (11 credits are decently hard science classes I guess) with two 3 hour labs and 6-9 hours of research a week. I'm doing 17 credits now with an additional 9 hours of research a week for no credit but I am taking easy classes (bio, chem, stats, humanities, psych)- currently killing it.

Also, I know it varies from school to school, but any opinion on which science elective to choose from (cell bio, genetics, virology)?

Yes. Though I am trying to take Physics this upcoming fall at my local CC since my university only offers calc based physics and I don't want or need to take a year of calc (which is mandatory for the physics class, either prior or concurrent).

I think you're fine

Looking ahead for next year, I need some feedback on how this may work out:

Soph Fall (19-20 cred)
Orgo I w/ Lab (4 cred)
Calc-based Physics I w/ Lab (4 cred)
Contemporary World (3 cred)
Cell Bio/ Genetics/ Virology (3 cred- don't know which one to pick yet)
English Class (3 cred)

Soph Spring (16-17 cred)
Orgo II w/ Lab (4 cred)
Calc-based Physics II w/ Lab (4 cred)
English Class (3 cred)
Nutrition (3 cred)

I'm a little unsure about taking 20 credits (11 credits are decently hard science classes I guess) with two 3 hour labs and 6-9 hours of research a week. I'm doing 17 credits now with an additional 9 hours of research a week for no credit but I am taking easy classes (bio, chem, stats, humanities, psych)- currently killing it.

Also, I know it varies from school to school, but any opinion on which science elective to choose from (cell bio, genetics, virology)?

You didn't take English during your freshman year? That research for credit isn't going to help (I mean it won't hurt if you're confident in doing well, but it's clogging up space you can free up or add something else).

Assuming all the electives are doable, definitely go for either cell bio or genetics (leaning towards cell bio).

You didn't take English during your freshman year? That research for credit isn't going to help (I mean it won't hurt if you're confident in doing well, but it's clogging up space you can free up or add something else).

Assuming all the electives are doable, definitely go for either cell bio or genetics (leaning towards cell bio).

As unorthodox as it sounds, my school is very science focused and doesnt offer an actual english class.... so im taking it at a joint college next year.
I have some reasons for taking research for credit but I'll definitely consider removing it- I can see that it is clogging up some space
And yeah, I'm leaning towards cell bio as well since I took a college level intro to cell and molecular in high school and did deeply enjoy it

Thanks for your opinion!

Sophomore Fall (Total: 18-19 credit)
-Gen Chem 1 w/lab (5 credit)
-A&P 1 w/lab (4 credit)
-Zoology w/lab (4 credit)
-Physic 1 w/lab (4 credit)
-Research (1-2 credit)

My only question is: Should I take physics my sophomore year or junior year? My sophomore year will be all science classes so im not sure if this would be a good idea. If I took it my junior year I would have to take it with orgo and biochem. Watdo?

-A&P 1 w/lab (4 credit)
-Research (1-2 credit)

My only question is: Should I take physics my sophomore year or junior year? My sophomore year will be all science classes so im not sure if this would be a good idea. If I took it my junior year I would have to take it with orgo and biochem. Watdo?

Like I mentioned to another member, I don't advise research for credit (unless you feel confident/love it etc.). However, your science-only schedule is a bit unusual. Your only prereqs in freshman year were bio 1 and 2 and English? I mean, your schedule is fine as it is, but the science-only thing is weird

Like I mentioned to another member, I don't advise research for credit (unless you feel confident/love it etc.). However, your science-only schedule is a bit unusual. Your only prereqs in freshman year were bio 1 and 2 and English? I mean, your schedule is fine as it is, but the science-only thing is weird
I feel rather confident with it! At my school, students are required to make their own research projects in order to do any type of research and i've been working on mine on my own time since the beginning of my freshman year. And yes, I already had my english credit covered from dual credit courses and apparently the only prereqs for A&P and zoo was bio 1, physics prereqs was algebra, and gen chem was passing chem 101 with a C or doing well on a placement exam. I'm not positive about when to take physics though. What would your personal preference be? Taking it with orgo and biochem junior year, or with my science heavy schedule next semester?

I feel rather confident with it! At my school, students are required to make their own research projects in order to do any type of research and i've been working on mine on my own time since the beginning of my freshman year. And yes, I already had my english credit covered from dual credit courses and apparently the only prereqs for A&P and zoo was bio 1, physics prereqs was algebra, and gen chem was passing chem 101 with a C or doing well on a placement exam. I'm not positive about when to take physics though. What would your personal preference be? Taking it with orgo and biochem junior year, or with my science heavy schedule next semester?

Either way works. I'm not a fan of science-only schedules, but in your case it seems to be the case either in sophomore or junior (predicted) years. Ideally, take physics in your sophomore year so that only orgo and biochem will be the remaining prereqs in your junior year (save the junior year for MCAT prep so avoid overwhelming it with prereqs).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
-A&P 1 w/lab (4 credit)
-Research (1-2 credit)

I have taken 15-17 credit semester with nothing but science courses without problem. The only criticism I have is that often the laboratories can be more work intensive per credit hour than lecture courses, or at least it was that way at my school. You might want to consider dropping or postponing a lab or two. Otherwise, I think you're fine.

I think this is more school dependent, but we were specifically advised against taking organic chemistry and physics together at our school because of the workload. I think physics and general chemistry is fine. Also, I don't know about your school, but at my school, organic chemistry was a prerequisite for biochemistry. My suggestion is to take something during the summer if you have concerns. Don't rush your prerequisites. You should strive not only to receive an A, but to truly master the content for the MCAT.

I think this is more school dependent, but we were specifically advised against taking organic chemistry and physics together at our school because of the workload. I think physics and general chemistry is fine. Also, I don't know about your school, but at my school, organic chemistry was a prerequisite for biochemistry. My suggestion is to take something during the summer if you have concerns. Don't rush your prerequisites. You should strive not only to receive an A, but to truly master the content for the MCAT.
Thank you both! Physics sounds better for sophomore year haha
and Orgo is a prereq for biochem at my school too, but as you know with the recent mcat changes im trying to squeeze everything in. My professor told me he would allow me to take the class without orgo, but i'm really reluctant. I starting to think your summer classes suggestion is a good idea at this point.

Physics will help, but if you're taking the new MCAT, I heard they're removing 2nd semester, so I think you'll be good as long as you have a good professor/really understand the material.

Physics will help, but if you're taking the new MCAT, I heard they're removing 2nd semester, so I think you'll be good as long as you have a good professor/really understand the material.
Can anyone confirm this? O: I know they've added chemistry to the physics section, but thats all ive heard.

Sophomore Fall:

Partial Differential Equations and Applications (Med-Hard)
Intro to Chemical Engineering Analysis (Medium-Hard)
Intro to Computing (Very Easy)
Biochemistry I (Easy-Medium)
Molecular Biology (Medium) or Cell Biology (Medium)
Biostatistics (Easy)
Organic Chemistry I Lab (Medium)

18 Credits.

Btw, should I take Molecular or Cell Biology first? Thanks!

Sophomore Fall:

Partial Differential Equations and Applications (Med-Hard)
Molecular Biology (Medium) or Cell Biology (Medium)
Biostatistics (Easy)

18 Credits.

Looks good. It doesn't matter which one, but cell bio is useful

Looks good. It doesn't matter which one, but cell bio is useful

After further contemplation, I think taking PDE the semester after is a better choice.

Revised Schedule:

Cell Biology (Medium)
Biostatistics (Easy)
Physical Chemistry I Lab (Medium)

16 cred

Last edited:
After further contemplation, I think taking PDE the semester after is a better choice.

Revised Schedule:

Cell Biology (Medium)
Biostatistics (Easy)

16 cred

I honestly don't recommend two labs (that's just me - I hate labs and their annoying reports), but if you like it and feel you can do well, go for it.

Reactions: 1 users
might as well join in!
Summer:
Intro to Latin-3
Pre Cal 2-3
Genetics (maybe?)-3
Maybe 1 more 3 credit class
Fall:
General Microbiology & Lab-4
Chem 2 & Lab-4
Calculus 1-4
Intermediate Latin 1-3
Argumentation and Debate-3

might as well join in!
Summer:
Intro to Latin-3
Pre Cal 2-3
Genetics (maybe?)-3
Maybe 1 more 3 credit class

There is not enough information given. How long are the summer sessions? Are you taking all of this together at once? 12 credit hours at once in a condensed session would be problematic if taken all at once.

Fall:
General Microbiology & Lab-4
Chem 2 & Lab-4
Calculus 1-4
Intermediate Latin 1-3
Argumentation and Debate-3

Looks fine to me.

Revised Schedule:

Cell Biology (Medium)
Biostatistics (Easy)

16 cred
I honestly don't recommend two labs (that's just me - I hate labs and their annoying reports), but if you like it and feel you can do well, go for it.

I agree with Agent B here. Labs, at least at my school, were more work intensive per credit hour than lectures or at least they were for me (but I did tend to obsess over my lab reports so maybe that's part of it). I would postpone one of the labs.

It depends on the school and the course frankly, but for my school anyway, cell would be needed for molecular biology.

Can anyone confirm this? O: I know they've added chemistry to the physics section, but thats all ive heard.

I hadn't heard anything about condensing physics (at least not yet although I do predict this will happen in a few years).

My understanding is that the new MCAT will be like this:

BS - Biology (1 year), Ochem (1/2 year), Biochem (1/2 year)
PS - General Chemistry (1 year) + Physics (1 year)

The only real change in terms of physics and chemistry is that the exam will stress more of the biological/medical applications of it (supposedly).

As of right now this is the best schedule I could come up with given my scenario.

Current GPA: 3.1 (109 credits so far)

Summer 2014 (CC classes):
1st session-
- General Chemistry I + Lab
- Pre-Calculus
- (possible filler course/ GPA boost)
2nd session-
- General Chemistry II + Lab
- Calculus

Fall 2014 (university classes): *graduation semester*
- General Biology I + Lab
- Organic Chemistry I + Lab
- Physics I + Lab
- Spanish ( UG requirement to graduate )

Spring 2015 (university classes): *informal DIY post bac*
- General Biology II + Lab
- Organic Chemistry II + Lab
- Physics II + Lab
- Sociology
- Start studying for MCAT

Summer 2015 (CC class):
1st session-
- Biochemistry
- Study for MCAT
At end of session take MCAT (around July 1st-2nd week)

July 2015- Apply to medical schools.

GAP Year:
- continue gaining experience in field
- possibly take more courses during 2nd summer session/fall to boost my GPA

How does this schedule look? I am not going to be working on the side or have any other responsibilities. I will devote my full energy and FULL-TIME into trying to get a 4.0 science GPA. I will have completed 50 additional credits to my GPA with the above schedule which will be ~1/3 of the end total of 165 credits. I can raise my GPA to 3.4 at max with these classes.

Will this be enough?

Just looking for multiple opinions. Maybe a non-trad who has completed all the pre-reqs and MCAT in same amount of time as I plan to do?

I think it is a mistake to take Intro Bio, O-Chem, and Physics all together. Try 2 at a time if you are already having problems.

I think it is a mistake to take Intro Bio, O-Chem, and Physics all together. Try 2 at a time if you are already having problems.

@knv2u ... why are you up so late? We need to find you a girlfriend, mate.

There is not enough information given. How long are the summer sessions? Are you taking all of this together at once? 12 credit hours at once in a condensed session would be problematic if taken all at once.

Looks fine to me.
more like 6 in the summer, more than likely I wont be able to take genetics due to the pre req of Biology 3 at my school

more like 6 in the summer, more than likely I wont be able to take genetics due to the pre req of Biology 3 at my school

You're fine then. And to be clear, taking 12-15 credits during the summer can be fine (I have done it), but just don't take them all during the same "session." At my school, there were three summer sessions per summer. I would stay at 6-7 credits max per session.

Edit: typo

Last edited:
Fall Semester:
NEU403 (Neuroscience lab) (1 credit)
(Honors) Either Neuro cell molec or Neuro Genetics (3 credits)
Biochem (3 credits)
An easy honors course (3 credits)
LAT101 (3 credits)

13 credits (might take one more class what do you think?)

Fall Semester:
Biochem (3 credits)
LAT101 (3 credits)

You're fine as is. If anything, take an easy gen ed, but I'd use that extra time on your ECs

Ok guys. I got one more question. My school has a single 2 credit introductory biology lab for the intro bio series, would I have to take an extra upper division biology lab or will I be ok by just taking the 2 credit one? I really don't want to email schools asking about their flexibility regarding this, but I also don't want to know I screwed up by not taking the extra lab. Thanks!

Summer Session:
Physics 2 calc/based 5 credits
Intro to Psych 4 credits

Fall Junior:
Biochemistry 3 credits (no lab)
Ochem 2 3 credits
Organic lab 4 credits
Genetics 3 credits
Intermediate Swimming 1 credit
Weight training 1 credit

I will not be working, but I will be doing research about 6 hours a week and will try to do other ec's. I may need a language french for my major which is 5 credits, i'm thinking of puting Genetics for the next semester. I intend to take the mcat in the spring, should I hold genetics for the next semester? thoughts?

Ok guys. I got one more question. My school has a single 2 credit introductory biology lab for the intro bio series, would I have to take an extra upper division biology lab or will I be ok by just taking the 2 credit one? I really don't want to email schools asking about their flexibility regarding this, but I also don't want to know I screwed up by not taking the extra lab. Thanks!

You'd be better off taking a second lab. ~2 labs = safe bet

Summer Session:
Intro to Psych 4 credits

Fall Junior:
Ochem 2 3 credits
Organic lab 4 credits
Genetics 3 credits
Weight training 1 credit

I will not be working, but I will be doing research about 6 hours a week and will try to do other ec's. I may need a language french for my major which is 5 credits, i'm thinking of puting Genetics for the next semester. I intend to take the mcat in the spring, should I hold genetics for the next semester? thoughts?

No idea why you need a swimming or weight training classes, but go on ahead. You're fine. Genetics isn't important so feel free to delay whenever

Reactions: 1 users
Retaking/Finishing Orgo in the summer (need to do this for upper level courses!).

Next Quarter: (4 is the max here):
Physics with Calculus 1 + Lab
Biochemistry
Multivariable Calculus
Spanish 3 (last requirement)
Physiology Lab
TA'ing Credit
(4.67 credits here... don't know how it translates)

Fall Quarter:
Physiology
Physics with Calculus 2 + Lab
Upper Level Biology
Astronomy or Statistics
Possible Research Credit
(5 credits here... don't know how it translates)

Junior Fall:

Immunology
Native Mandarin OR Physical Chemistry
Advanced Organic Synthetic Methods OR Advanced Genetic Analysis
Medical Impact of Basic Science (Upper level biochem elective)
Literature Seminar OR Global Health Seminar
Independent Research

This is something that you would need to address to the specific school (i.e. whether you would be fine with just the two credit lab), but I think you would be better off taking an upper level laboratory to be on the safe side. Besides, these classes are actually helpful and interesting (or at least they were to me).

Junior Fall:

Immunology
Native Mandarin OR Physical Chemistry
Advanced Organic Synthetic Methods OR Advanced Genetic Analysis
Medical Impact of Basic Science (Upper level biochem elective)
Literature Seminar OR Global Health Seminar
Independent Research
In terms of course load, I think you are fine. With regards to specific courses, there are a lot of variables and my response would depend on your major. If you want to take advanced organic synthetic methods for fun or for your major, then fine, but realistically I don't see where an Organic III class (which is essentially what you would be taking, at my university at least, it's a graduate level class) will be overly useful for medical school. Between the two, I would take advanced genetic analysis or a human genetics course if your school has one (there are a lot of topics in this not covered in an introductory/intermediate level genetics course such as LOD scores, more on disease mapping, etc.). I could see this being helpful in medical school. With regards to p-chem, there are some schools that recommend it such as Stanford and Harvard HST, so I would take that over Native Mandarin. (I am also assuming that this is a class for native speakers, in which case, I don't think medical schools will really care about this at all, so unless you are taking it for fun or your own edification, I would stay away).

Summer Session:
Intro to Psych 4 credits

Fall Junior:
Ochem 2 3 credits
Organic lab 4 credits
Genetics 3 credits
Weight training 1 credit

You're fine. The only thing that I will add is that you might want to complete genetics before taking the MCAT. It is not required, but there are some administrations where it has apparently been emphasized.

Fall Semester:
Biochem (3 credits)
LAT101 (3 credits)

You're fine with what you have; you might want to take one more course unless you need the extra time for MCAT preparation or for extracurricular activities.

It may be at least semi appropriate to interject this here.
I'll be taking Psychological Statistics over the summer. M-F 10-11:40 AM for about a month. I've never taken a stats course before. Can anyone enlighten me on what to expect in terms of material and difficulty? Thanks!

I'll be taking Psychological Statistics over the summer. M-F 10-11:40 AM for about a month. I've never taken a stats course before. Can anyone enlighten me on what to expect in terms of material and difficulty? Thanks!

It's school-specific. Ask your friends at your school who have taken it, or look at prof reviews.

It's school-specific. Ask your friends at your school who have taken it, or look at prof reviews.

I agree with Agent B. So I actually had a second major in psychology to add to my science major, and there was an enormous variation in the difficulty of the course among professors at the university. It could range from a basic statistics course to a course that is also more intensive in specific research methods and design depending on the school.

Fall 2014
Intro to Chemistry 1 with Lab*
Introductory Statistics*
Animal Behavior*
Health Care Management: Healthcare Systems
Literature class on Karl Marx

Spring 2015
Biochemistry*
Intro to Chemistry 2 with Lab*
Cognitive Neuroscience (possibly)*
Health Care Management: Clinical Issues
Intro to Psychology or Human Chronobiology*

* = course counts for BCPM GPA

Thoughts?

Does your intro chem course count as a gen chem course?

I thought most Medical Schools require 1 year of General Chemistry.

You'
No idea why you need a swimming or weight training classes, but go on ahead. You're fine. Genetics isn't important so feel free to delay whenever

I was just taking it for fun, still debating on it though. I'll take them if I have time in my schedule. As for genetics, it isn't necessary on the mcat? So far, I only have a semester of Gen Bio for the biology section. Is that enough for the MCAT?

I have a question for this thread:

This summer I'll be working at the same lab I work in during the school year for 40 hrs a week for four weeks. I also want to fit in gen chem 2 8wk course). I work in computational research so my "lab" can technically be anywhere I have my laptop and scratch paper to work on so the hours are pretty flexible. Has anyone taken on a 40hr /wk commitment along with a class before? Is it too much?

Could I add another class? (Lol jk)