***The Official NYU College of Dentistry C/O 2023 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was waitlisted 2/12 and just got accepted!! This feels like a dream!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Hey! Do NYU students share resources (didactics and preclin/clin as well) or is it p exclusive/cliquey? Since almost everything is letter-graded.

Hey! Do NYU students share resources (didactics and preclin/clin as well) or is it p exclusive/cliquey? Since almost everything is letter-graded.
I would say people don't seem to mind sharing their stuff! I know people from each class and everyone I've talked to so far has said that people are usually really nice about sharing their resources/materials... That being said, you just have to be a bit proactive about it, meaning you have to find the right people, not be scared to ask for help, and make sure you generally have a good relationship with the classmates you see on a daily basis. One of the people I talked to said someone who's usually stingy with sharing their study materials missed class one day bc they were sick or something and no one really wanted to help/him or her out... Aka help others & they will help you too :)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed on Feb 22 and was accepted yesterday. Going to decline my offer for Touro by next week. Good luck to all!!!

Does anyone know when we do our background check? I'm asking because I didn't receive any email about it yet. In last year's thread, some students were saying that NYU didn't do it. Just wanted to ask if anyone has any info on it for this year! Thank you

Does anyone know when we do our background check? I'm asking because I didn't receive any email about it yet. In last year's thread, some students were saying that NYU didn't do it. Just wanted to ask if anyone has any info on it for this year! Thank you
If you look on the portal it says that they will do it for us during the fall semester and that NYU doesn’t follow certiphi

Reactions: 1 user
@jerabad26 thanks!

I'm also looking at the tentative calendar for this coming year: do NYU students barely get any summer breaks?? I'm very confused. When do they have time to do externships etc.?

Academic Calendar

anyone interviewing March 5? Do people get accepted that interviewed that late? This is going to be my 6th interview and I haven't been accepted anywhere yet.
I just interviewed 2/27 and got accepted 3/1.. feel free to message me if you have any questions!

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone complete their application recently (Jan-Feb) and got an interview?

How long does their holistic review take?
when I interviewed on 2/27 2 people in my group said they submitted their app the very last day. I would suggest sending in a letter of interest or calling admissions to ask about your status!

Has anyone heard back about the summer research program yet? When I emailed they said that we’d be informed a week after the deadline date.

I have a question for current students - do all students wear scrubs to class everyday?

when I interviewed on 2/27 2 people in my group said they submitted their app the very last day. I would suggest sending in a letter of interest or calling admissions to ask about your status!
For a letter of interest, should it be uploaded to the portal or sent by email?

For a letter of interest, should it be uploaded to the portal or sent by email?
when I called to ask a while back about the status of my app and where I could send my interest letter they told me to send it to the admissions email. I never sent my letter though because I got an interview invite before I could.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello Everyone,
I am incoming D1 looking for a room/roommates near the school. Would love to hear from you and potentially meet!
Please email me at: [email protected].
Good luck to all!

Interviewed March 1st, got waitlisted today March 5th. My sixth waitlist...

Any interview advice? I just got offered an interview yesterday and its next week! There were only two available interview dates 3/13 and 3/15 - that seems to be the last of the interviews based off the calendar.

Waitlisted... Is it a soft rejection?
Not necessarily, it just means that for your interview day or week, there were other higher priority candidates. Being interviewed at all usually means you still have a reasonably good chance of getting in.

Almost everyone has the same basic materials in pre-clinic didactic. But when it comes to other resources like electives or clinical requirements, there is a tendency to hoard. Example: full perio quadrants, root canals, and crowns. Very valuable in the months of January-May (boards and graduation requirement). The predominant ideology here is to put on your own mask before assisting others. You'll get most of the notes or other assistance from upperclassmen because we all know the competition is within one's own class. With regard to lab, making friends with the TAs can be clutch if you need the extra guidance. CSDA and ZIPS are the two clubs that regularly provide extra tutoring for lab but you have to be a member otherwise you pay a nominal fee like 5$ to join the group session.

I have a question for current students - do all students wear scrubs to class everyday?
Dress code is technically business casual, closed toed shoes. It is your choice to wear scrubs. Upper floors get hot, lower floors like first, second and third are cold. Have layers on mandatory class days. It gets cold in the large auditoriums. I never wear scrubs or pants. My major recommendation is to be mindful of expected activities for the day. Wax and blood are both hard to get out of your clothes. Believe it or not it's pretty rare to get blood on your clothes because the disposable gowns cover most of your outfit. It'll usually be on your gloves anyways or suctioned out via saliva ejector.

For those who have been waitlisted, definitely do the letter of intent. Don't call or reach out excessively, but do send updates, do tell them why you at NYU.

Any interview advice? I just got offered an interview yesterday and its next week! There were only two available interview dates 3/13 and 3/15 - that seems to be the last of the interviews based off the calendar.

Interview was very chill and low stress. You have nothing to worry about. For the most part it was mostly my interviewer trying to tell me more about NYU. 3-4 standard interview questions, the rest is very conversational. Good luck!!

Has anyone heard back about the summer research program yet? When I emailed they said that we’d be informed a week after the deadline date.
I applied too, I haven't heard yet back either :(

Dress code is technically business casual, closed toed shoes. It is your choice to wear scrubs. Upper floors get hot, lower floors like first, second and third are cold. Have layers on mandatory class days. It gets cold in the large auditoriums. I never wear scrubs or pants. My major recommendation is to be mindful of expected activities for the day. Wax and blood are both hard to get out of your clothes. Believe it or not it's pretty rare to get blood on your clothes because the disposable gowns cover most of your outfit. It'll usually be on your gloves anyways or suctioned out via saliva ejector.
Thanks for your advice!! Silly question, but are jeans/denim pants allowed at all? lol

It might look like the last dates to you, but NYU seems to release new interview dates every week...

Could any current students provide some insight on the tech requirements for incoming students? I looked and the hardware and software specs seem pretty lenient. I was thinking of buying an ipad pro and pencil for writing notes during lectures in lieu of a laptop.

NYU will be reviewing wait lists over the next several weeks. They asked me would I experience any logistical difficulty in attending if admitted late in the cycle (i.e. June). Would it significantly affect my chance if I say no?
It would be little difficult because I will be attending grad school if I do not get into dental school. I have to find housing for the next year, and I can't cancel housing contract once I sign it. It would be more difficult to find housing if I wait until June.

NYU will be reviewing wait lists over the next several weeks. They asked me would I experience any logistical difficulty in attending if admitted late in the cycle (i.e. June). Would it significantly affect my chance if I say no?
It would be little difficult because I will be attending grad school if I do not get into dental school. I have to find housing for the next year, and I can't cancel housing contract once I sign it. It would be more difficult to find housing if I wait until June.
This is a great viable answer. My mom always told me to blame it on your rent agreement lol but it's true its a contract youre bound too. ive called NYU a lot for different reasons after being waitlisted and I always get asked where ru living again? I feel like they do take that into consideration even if its just the smallest consideration.

just received my very first acceptance after 6 interviews! and im blessed to say its from NYU! I interviewed March 5th and was accepted March 8th.

Reactions: 10 users
just received my very first acceptance after 6 interviews! and im blessed to say its from NYU! I interviewed March 5th and was accepted March 8th.

Congrats! Do you mind sharing your stats?

Congrats! Do you mind sharing your stats?
sure. 3.3 sga, 3.3 ogpa. with a big incline. so my first 2 years of undergrad my gpa was a 3.0. my last 2 years of undergrad my gpa was a 3.7/3.8. my DAT is 20AA, 22TS, and 20PAT

just received my very first acceptance after 6 interviews! and
im blessed to say its from NYU! I interviewed March 5th and was accepted March 8th.

yay. Congrats :)

Yet 10% of our country's dentists have graduated from NYU and they keep pumping out 300+ each year and it seems to work out just fine. I have never seen a broke dentist in my life. No offence, but I bet you all go to interviews saying you arent in for the money, yet you come here and discourage ppl like this. It's quite hypocritical if you ask me. Also there are a lot of schools that have similar tuition fees with very small differences (ASDOH, MWU, UDM, etc.). The big difference is in NYU you'd be living in Manhattan instead of some suburb in Arizona or downtown Detroit.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Best comment I've read about NYU. Dental school is four years and that means four years of your LIFE . I personally would rather live those in NYC than the sticks. Everyone is different and I'm happy for those who choose schools in small towns, but that's not me .

Reactions: 2 users
Interview/Acceptance/Rejection
School: NYU
Notification date: 3/8/2019
Method of notification: EMAIL
Residency: Florida
AADSAS mail-out date: 9/28/2018
Application complete date: 10/1/2019
GPA (science, overall): 3.4, 3.4
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 21/21/20/22/no
Dates available : I applied pretty late .Had an interview at BU in January and wait listed. Interview at Leecom a week ago and haven't heard. Interview at NYU three days ago and accepted. I went to NYU undergrad. I am going to NYU

Do you mind if I message you?

Interviewed March 5th, accepted March 8th - will be attending NYU class of 2023!
AA:20 TS:21 PAT:23 RC:20 QR:16*
Undergrad: GPA: 3.32, sGPA: 3.22
Post-bacc: GPA: 3.77

I heard through the students during tour that interviews will be held until end of April. Not sure exactly how true this is but keep your heads up. Message me if you need anything!

Reactions: 2 users
Interviewed March 5th, accepted March 8th - will be attending NYU class of 2023!
AA:20 TS:21 PAT:23 RC:20 QR:16*
Undergrad: GPA: 3.32, sGPA: 3.22
Post-bacc: GPA: 3.77

I heard through the students during tour that interviews will be held until end of April. Not sure exactly how true this is but keep your heads up. Message me if you need anything!

Congratulations and that's great that they will interview until mid-April, I thought they gonna change this year since they are starting the school year early in July

What’s the march 15th date that dr Mejia said deposits are due on? Is it possible for everyone’s deposit whose been accepted at this
Point to be due on March 15th? Or just a large majority or what? Can someone whose been accepted (preferably recently) give me some info on what the dates were for you, the amounts (I.e. one single deposit or option to pay two)

Thank you

What’s the march 15th date that dr Mejia said deposits are due on? Is it possible for everyone’s deposit whose been accepted at this
Point to be due on March 15th? Or just a large majority or what? Can someone whose been accepted (preferably recently) give me some info on what the dates were for you, the amounts (I.e. one single deposit or option to pay two)

Thank you

I was accepted 1/16. I chose the two deposits option. The first deposit of $1,500 was due 2/14 and the second deposit of $3,500 is due 3/15.

Would anyone know how many students are in the class currently?

Thank you

I was accepted on March 1st, and wasn't offered the two payment option. I paid right way, so I didn't even see the deadline, but I believe it was 2 weeks from my accepted date.

Thank you
Hey did you get accepted?

No :-( I’m trying to gauage to see how or when this waitlist will move. I’ve always wanted to go to NYU
Have you been in touch and sending letter of intents?

Thank you

March 15th is the date that the second half of the acceptance deposit would be due ($3500) if offered admission before March 1st. So anyone accepted on or after March 1st has to pay the first ($1500) and second parts of the deposit within 15 days of getting an offer, totaling $5000. Hypothetically, if you received an offer today, I think you'd have 15 days to pay the deposit of $5000. I received an offer March 1st so I pay the entire $5000 by the 15th.

Status
Not open for further replies.