***The Official NYU College of Dentistry C/O 2023 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

Status
Not open for further replies.
I interviewed today and it was chill. The school is big but it provides lots of resources and opportunities. You can do research, volunteer, join clubs, or just focus on studying, whatever you want. The library is nice.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah, I loved the library as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed today and it was chill. The school is big but it provides lots of resources and opportunities. You can do research, volunteer, join clubs, or just focus on studying, whatever you want. The library is nice.

Oh, I am glad you made the decision to attend your interview.

Hi! I heard really Is it possible to get rejected with out getting an interview?
From what I know they have sent out rejections a couple weeks ago. Not sure if they've sent out any recently though

^ did they send out rejections letters with out interviewing applicants (ex: preliminary exclusion)??

Hi! I heard really Is it possible to get rejected with out getting an interview?

^ did they send out rejections letters with out interviewing applicants (ex: preliminary exclusion)??
Yeah someone even shared the rejection email. Last year I’m also rejected without interview on August

They can't interview everyone. At this point they most likely have the wait-list for potential candidates and then a small group of "maybes" to interview.

NYU also changed their starting date for D1 this year to July so I assume they're going to wrap up interviews earlier.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey, Last year when you were waitlisted did you contact the school and show them interest? Do you recommend doing that?
Yea I contacted them every 2-3 weeks with an update and I sent them 3 letters of intent.
Keep in touch with the admissions office via phone/email about every 2 weeks and don't worry they won’t find you annoying! They really want to see who can commit at moments notice. Also sending them regular updates shows how interested you are in their program and will make you stand out from the rest of the waitlisted applicants.
Let me know if you have more questions. I'd be happy to help! :)

Just curious, has anyone looked into why NYU is so well-ranked if there are concerns about class size / getting enough clinical experience? Are rankings all based on how much research funding a school gets?

Reactions: 1 users
Yea I contacted them every 2-3 weeks with an update and I sent them 3 letters of intent.
Keep in touch with the admissions office via phone/email about every 2 weeks and don't worry they won’t find you annoying! They really want to see who can commit at moments notice. Also sending them regular updates shows how interested you are in their program and will make you stand out from the rest of the waitlisted applicants.

Hey when did you interview last year and if you don't mind what were your stats? Sorry it won't let me message you

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone complete their application recently (Jan-Feb) and got an interview?

How long does their holistic review take?

Just curious, has anyone looked into why NYU is so well-ranked if there are concerns about class size / getting enough clinical experience? Are rankings all based on how much research funding a school gets?

Ranking is all research based. It has nothing to do with class size or clinical experience.
Dental school rankings do not mean anything.

I work with a cosmetic dentist but once a month she has an oral surgeon come in and she told me that between UBuffalo and NYU (my two head to head contenders, although I haven’t been accepted to NYU yet) she said that the biggest difference for her is the fact that with NYU you’ll never have to worry about patients and you’ll get more experience BECAUSE theres more patients... but her friends who attended NYU and graduated in 2013 she noticed that there was a large need more more space (more operatories.. chairs) at UB if you’re looking for a more comprehensive dental education where you might not get the experience from doing something over and over and over again on different teeth and figfeeent people - then UB is the place to go. She said that UB wasn’t that great in terms of volume but you still get what you need. She mentioned for me to see how the doctor I work for and herself don’t immediatwlt jump to a crown or a tooth is restorable otherwise and this is just an example of one small thing. By no means did she say or am I suggesting NYU is unethical- but to go to NYU i think she insinuated that you have to be very much so able to advocate for yourself in terms of space.. although the experience and frequency in which you see different patients and different cases is exceptional. However UB is better at truly guiding you throughout the entire scope of a dental visit - from treatment planning to understanding why certain treatments may be needed or may not be needed as oppose to others (I.e. more comprehensive)

Im still deciding if I want to wait for NYU or if I will withdrawal my apps. I will probably decide by the middle of March/April. However, just make sure you know yourself and that you ask the right questions to whatever you may be unsure of from the Source (the school) and not sdn or the boot amp interview page lmao. They’re great sources of information but set yourself up straight by asking questions. The more questions you ask the better t looks on you - and not just questions but genuine points of interest and concern. I have no doubt you’ll make the right choice when the time comes. Bless up!!!

If you don't mind, can you please message me too about your stats?

In addition to keeping in contact with the admissions committee and Dr. Mejia, should I also inform them that NYU has been the only school to date that has interviewed me?

In addition to keeping in contact with the admissions committee and Dr. Mejia, should I also inform them that NYU has been the only school to date that has interviewed me?

I would not emphasize that honestly

Just unnecessary or could be interpreted negatively?

I would bring it up in a way that doesn’t make you sound like you are desperate. The cycle is ending soon and I think you’ll have more to lose by not taking the chance... would you rather “beg” and get in this year or take a chance that you may have to waste another year? I think admissions will understand. Tell them that this is your only interview and explain why you really want to go here. Good luck

Just unnecessary or could be interpreted negatively?

In my experience, admissions committees like applicants that have been recognized by other schools. If you say "hi I haven't even interviewed anywhere else please accept me" they will wonder if you are even ready for dental school and ultimately suggest that you take a year off and reapply. Idk I could be wrong but just think carefully about what you say.

anyone interviewing March 5? Do people get accepted that interviewed that late? This is going to be my 6th interview and I haven't been accepted anywhere yet.

In my experience, admissions committees like applicants that have been recognized by other schools. If you say "hi I haven't even interviewed anywhere else please accept me" they will wonder if you are even ready for dental school and ultimately suggest that you take a year off and reapply. Idk I could be wrong but just think carefully about what you say.

I would have to disagree. Schools invite you to interview because you have what they are looking for on paper. Your interview determines if you have the right social skills and professionalism.

This isn’t some popularity contest where schools will look at you more favorably because you had more interviews from other schools.

Also admissions officers are human too. Honesty and sincerity will go a long way. Call admissions and mention that this was your only interview and explain how much you want to go here. Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I would have to disagree. Schools invite you to interview because you have what they are looking for on paper. Your interview determines if you have the right social skills and professionalism.

This isn’t some popularity contest where schools will look at you more favorably because you had more interviews from other schools.

Id be honest and be genuine why you really want to go to this school and be a dentist. Also admissions officers are human too. Honesty and sincerity will go a long way.
yes this is all true too! Just in my experience that's what I recognized I can't really go into detail on here though

anyone interviewing March 5? Do people get accepted that interviewed that late? This is going to be my 6th interview and I haven't been accepted anywhere yet.
Did you just get the invite?

Also admissions officers are human too. Honesty and sincerity will go a long way. Call admissions and mention that this was your only interview and explain how much you want to go here. Good luck!

I agree with you too. This year I only applied for NYU and gratefully they accepted me :)

To send an updated letter of recommendation from a professor, do they send it directly to the school?

To send an updated letter of recommendation from a professor, do they send it directly to the school?

The prof can send it directly to NYU or you can submit it via Interfolio. Sending it by Interfolio would be the quickest way though.

What kind of info do you include in your updates if it's that frequent?
I stopped about two weeks ago lmao
I just updated them on a volunteering clinic I am taking part in every Friday, and I started shadowing at a dental oncology clinic at Roswell park in buffalo. Those were the only two things. I’ve decided that I’m probabaly going to withdrawal my app very soon from the waitlist because I want to be comfortable enough in knowing where I’m goikg to school and not wait til June lol. Not to say I won’t find out until June or not to assume they’ll accept me at all but I just feel kind of a sadness that they didn’t choose to see the value in me the way another school did. Financially and just to give myself peace of mind, although NYU was my first choice, I’m not happy waiting around just hoping that my every update I give is enough. It’s more than enough lol But if they’re can’t choose to see that then that’s on them. I’m juet waiting for one more factor on my decision that is actually dependent on someone else before I make that choice but I’m more than likely like 90% going to Buffalo.

I just updated them on a volunteering clinic I am taking part in every Friday, and I started shadowing at a dental oncology clinic at Roswell park in buffalo. Those were the only two things. I’ve decided that I’m probabaly going to withdrawal my app very soon from the waitlist because I want to be comfortable enough in knowing where I’m goikg to school and not wait til June lol. Not to say I won’t find out until June or not to assume they’ll accept me at all but I just feel kind of a sadness that they didn’t choose to see the value in me the way another school did. Financially and just to give myself peace of mind, although NYU was my first choice, I’m not happy waiting around just hoping that my every update I give is enough. It’s more than enough lol But if they’re can’t choose to see that then that’s on them. I’m juet waiting for one more factor on my decision that is actually dependent on someone else before I make that choice but I’m more than likely like 90% going to Buffalo.
Sorry for my grammar I just woke up but I hope you can understand lol

I’m not 100% set on where but I know it won’t be NYU. I’m definitely leaning towards temple!

Best of luck, I got accepted at Temple too, but I will decline it.
It's a good school and the people there were nice, but the location is kinda the determining factor for me.

I understand your pain.
However don't make decisions based on emotions solely, you waited this far, why not wait for another month and try harder.

What's yours will be yours.

Best of luck!

I understand your pain.
However don't make decisions based on emotions solely, you waited this far, why not wait for another month and try harder.

What's yours will be yours.

Best of luck!
The rough buff is mine lmao thanks for your support

Status
Not open for further replies.