***The Official NYU College of Dentistry C/O 2024 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

Members don't see this ad :)
are the seats available lower this year because many people have to repeat the year? I saw one user post that about 50 people have to repeat the year. Does this affect us in any way?
50 PPL are repeating the year????? This is absurd!!!

Well you have to understand in a class of 100 I would say at least 5-10 people give or take repeat certain courses. Then with nyu it's a larger sample size since they have almost 400 students so it would be reasonable to assume it's around 40 - 50 people given the class size is almost 4 x bigger than other schools. Also because the school is in manhatten so people are partying and not good with time management is a possibility too. Just basic statistics IMO. Also some of the in state people have lower stats at around like 3.2 and 19 DAT so you can rationalize why some of them might be struggling in dental school.

Well you have to understand in a class of 100 I would say at least 5-10 people give or take repeat certain courses. Then with nyu it's a larger sample size since they have almost 400 students so it would be reasonable to assume it's around 40 - 50 people given the class size is almost 4 x bigger than other schools. Also because the school is in manhatten so people are partying and not good with time management is a possibility too. Just basic statistics IMO. Also some of the in state people have lower stats at around like 3.2 and 19 DAT so you can rationalize why some of them might be struggling in dental school.

Exactly. It's just the huge class size that makes the # of repeats so high. It's misleading and yes.. to factor in all those in-state students with low GPAs/DATs. Definitely not ready for dental school.

Yes exactly. And I read somewhere that most students who repeated were those who partied a lot and did not focus on their studies as much as they needed to. As long as you go to class and study regularly like a normal student, you will be fine lol.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone interviewing on March 3rd?

I got an interview invite today

Reactions: 1 user
I am surprised by the confidence in your inaccurate post. Though I’m not too sure about the numbers exactly, I don’t think we lost 50. Of the students I personally know who failed out, they had above NYUs average DAT score (21) and I highly doubt were partying. The policy is very strict and with some classes being 100% of your grade, this leaves room for not too much error: failing a class results in repeating all classes taken (even if you had all As) and spending another one hundred thousand dollars + ...
I must say I absolutely agree with this post. Having low stats does not necessarily mean that you will struggle in dental school. that only motivates you to work harder. The reason for the repeats is because of the extremely strict policies from NYU as well as the current curriculum changes.

Nobody that I have met has been "partying". We have all been studying day and night and it has been very hard. Little care from the administration.

Again, I advise to choose an alternative route for your dental education if possible

Reactions: 2 users
Also, keep in mind that @valc and I are actually D1's in NYU right now so I think that our judgement and opinions are much more accurate than of those alumni from years ago. Again, NYU is a great school but recently a lot of changes has been made and things have gotten MUCH more difficult. We are only trying to help and guide you. I hope you guys will be very happy if you guys attend, but this is just the personal opinion on my friends and I who are at the program

Reactions: 3 users
I am surprised by the confidence in your inaccurate post. Though I’m not too sure about the numbers exactly, I don’t think we lost 50. Of the students I personally know who failed out, they had above NYUs average DAT score (21) and I highly doubt were partying. The policy is very strict and with some classes being 100% of your grade, this leaves room for not too much error: failing a class results in repeating all classes taken (even if you had all As) and spending another one hundred thousand dollars + ...

Perhaps you should be in the admissions business
Well I'll apologize. I was just using my own rationale to why a large chunk of the people were repeating.

Perhaps you should be in the admissions business

I think so too

Still hoping to receive an interview invite...do they interview up until the end of march?

Ive heard ~50 people remediating 1 or more courses (so far). Remediation is a second chance pass/fail exam provided during summer. If you fail this exam academic affairs decide rather you'll repeat or get kicked out (with $100k debt). Ive heard that roughly half of the students who took organ systems failed the remediation exam.

So far around 18-25 people have been kicked out from CO2023 due to getting an F. They require a letter of intent just to be given the chance to repeat as CO2024.

The second semester started recently and academic affairs have pushed many difficult D2 courses such as general pathology, microbiology, and pharmacology into the D1 curriculum. We should be expecting more people to fail and remediate. So if everything goes consistent with 1st semester, then yes, around 50 people should be kicked out with possible opportunity to repeat.

Considering that the dean of academic affairs was abruptly changed in the middle of the 2018 class year and is now on paid leave, Id say there's turbulence at the school. Its not a good time to be at NYU.

Reactions: 2 users
Ive heard ~50 people remediating 1 or more courses (so far). Remediation is a second chance pass/fail exam provided during summer. If you fail this exam academic affairs decide rather you'll repeat or get kicked out (with $100k debt). Ive heard that roughly half of the students who took organ systems failed the remediation exam.

So far around 18-25 people have been kicked out from CO2023 due to getting an F. They require a letter of intent just to be given the chance to repeat as CO2024.

The second semester started recently and academic affairs have pushed many difficult D2 courses such as general pathology, microbiology, and pharmacology into the D1 curriculum. We should be expecting more people to fail and remediate. So if everything goes consistent with 1st semester, then yes, around 50 people should be kicked out with possible opportunity to repeat.

Considering that the dean of academic affairs was abruptly changed in the middle of the 2018 class year and is now on paid leave, Id say there's turbulence at the school. Its not a good time to be at NYU.
I absolutely agree with this statement, coming from another D1 at NYU currently. It is not a happy environment or atmosphere to be in. We are trying to help guide into the right direction.

Please think long and hard before committing here.

Thank you

Hi everyone.
So here's the thing (and my take on the situation)--

I have a sibling there (currently a D4), and she's heard through the grapevines that the curriculum for D1's has been revamped and its become harder (so that part, I can agree with).

However...YMMV (as with anything in life)
(there's still plenty of ppl who pass)

BUT
I think one problem with this whole deal lies in that some students weren't able to adjust as quickly to the intense curriculum...the current curriculum requires students to be able to be responsible, adapt fast, survive, and be successful at it (esp. since the school is at an adjustment phase).

Take those previous posters words into honest consideration--because I also believe there is truth in what they say--however, for those who don't care, will go, and are excited for NYC + NY lifestyle regardless of these warnings--you have to understand and be aware of the fact that if you are going to commit to this school, you will have to be responsible, time manage very well, be academically strong and prepared mentally (also in terms of mental health!), and commit to sitting down, studying, and not having much of a life (as with any dental school)--unless you are willing to POSSIBLY risk falling behind and spend an additional 100k. <--like I said. POSSIBILITY. NOT true for every student!

*** You've got to know yourself and what type of person you are. ***
Are you: a bit Sensitive? Anxiety/Depression-prone? Mentally-weak? (no offense) Not good at time-managing? Not sure about your commitment to dentistry? Entitled enough to assume you automatically get your dental degree just bc you matriculated?
= you are warned.

If you are: Focused, good at time managing, can adapt fast, and are mentally/academically prepared and ready to go through 4 tough years (as with any dental school) = you will survive.

Don't. be. naive. with this school (or any other d. school).

there's a reason why ppl fail out (or remediate), learn their lesson, and come back able to pass the second time. WHY???
because water hit their face--they woke up--and they realized that they had to prioritize.

AKA: change their habits/mentality/time-management/what-have-you-not, so they were successful the second try.

Getting into dental school DOES NOT MEAN Getting your Dental degree. (THIS IS NOT UNDERGRAD.)
WITH ANY PROFESSIONAL SCHOOL(med, dent, pharm), YOU HAVE TO FINISH to get your degree.

There is ALL the reason to be successful and pass each year, however, YOU'RE responsible for YOUR outcome.
Very nicely worded response. for the most part, you are right in whatever you said. This is all true, it does depend on the person and how they study, but I do believe that NYU has declined rapidly this year and there are A LOT of problems that a student paying 100k should NOT have to face. Every dental school is hard and challenging, but this one has become unbearable and unsupportive. It has really messed with my mental health the most. I am in a very bad head space because of this and regret my decision. I hope that for the incoming D1 it will be better.

Best of luck to everyone!

does anybody know, are they still conducting interviews everyday of the week? or is it much less frequent now, since it is March?

i reached out A LOT! I was so annoying

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
i reached out A LOT! I was so annoying

LOL i love it. Gotta do what you gotta do manb. I just got on to the waitlist, that's why I'm asking. How often did you reach out? Im just about to do whatever you did lmao. Did you just call/ email them and say you were really interested? Or did you say anything else?

LOL i love it. Gotta do what you gotta do manb. I just got on to the waitlist, that's why I'm asking. How often did you reach out? Im just about to do whatever you did lmao. Did you just call/ email them and say you were really interested? Or did you say anything else?
PM me

Hey guys! I got waitlisted today-- do you guys know what the waitlist situation is? If I accept the spot on the waitlist, am I required to go to NYU if I get in?

Hey guys! I got waitlisted today-- do you guys know what the waitlist situation is? If I accept the spot on the waitlist, am I required to go to NYU if I get in?
You just get waitlisted so you wait until someone else drops a seat. If a spot opens up then you can choose to accept that seat or not. In other words, you wouldnt be required to go to NYU if you get in.

got accepted off the waitlist at 11:16AM today! I will be committing!

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Any oos people accepted today?

Got invited to interview today. 3-dates offered for this and next week.

Last edited: