***The Official NYU College of Dentistry C/O 2024 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

Do you guys know how to join the facebook group??

Members don't see this ad.

I have had a lot of people messaging me asking what I did to get off of the waitlist.
First, every situation is different. Make sure you reached all of the cut offs for every section of the DAT. This is very important. Make sure you met all of the criteria, I've seen from past threads people not getting off of the waitlist due to a 17 in Reading or a 16 in PAT.

Make sure to regularly (every 2-3 weeks) reach out by email or phone and express good reasons why you should be in the school. Try to speak to somebody in charge and express that you would accept an offer right away. They are looking for people that are 100% committed. Also, try to see if there is anything you can do at this point to improve your application. If they tell you, do exactly what they say. This will better your chances.

Do not worry, official movement is supposed to start after next week, so hope for the best and good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted but will pass after seeing the facilities and how up-tight the faculty were.
I don't see the value of HALF a MILLION for General dentistry. I will apply to obtain a specialty degree here or to practice in NYC.
State school it is folks.

Goodluck c/o 2024!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
are interviews still going on daily considering what's happening in the world now?

Interviewed: 2/10
Waitlisted: 2/14
Accepted: 3/12

I'm actually really surprised...I did not contact the office at all throughout the whole process except for completing the short waitlist survey update.

at this point, I just want to relish my acceptance and keep it for a day or two.
then imma decline so some lucky applicant will get my spot! :)

Cheers!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users

I'm actually really surprised...I did not contact the office at all throughout the whole process except for completing the short waitlist survey update.

at this point, I just want to relish my acceptance and keep it for a day or two.

Cheers!
Hey! Why are you declining if I might ask?

Just got accepted off the waitlist! Interviewed 2/7, waitlisted 2/11, accepted 3/12!!

Reactions: 7 users
Hey! Why are you declining if I might ask?

I want to stay in the west coast, closer to fam, cost is a big factor,
I've lived in NYC a bit for a test-run (fam member goes to NYUCD)--I don't see myself enjoying it there, but that's just personal preference.
Ultimately, after a huge rollercoaster ride of the "pre-dental" life, I've come to know who I am and what ultimately works/makes me happy :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Those who had their interviews postponed, does anyone know when they would be rescheduling them for?

It’s official—the school is closed until April 19th.
Is that not just for the undergrads?

Edit: Never mind we got an email confirming closure of the dental school too lol.

Last edited:
Hey has anyone been accepted that interviewed this past Wednesday 3/11? I got waitlisted the next day

Hey has anyone been accepted that interviewed this past Wednesday 3/11? I got waitlisted the next day
One of the guys who interviewed on 3/11 got in including myself that I know.

I have had a lot of people messaging me asking what I did to get off of the waitlist.
First, every situation is different. Make sure you reached all of the cut offs for every section of the DAT. This is very important. Make sure you met all of the criteria, I've seen from past threads people not getting off of the waitlist due to a 17 in Reading or a 16 in PAT.

Make sure to regularly (every 2-3 weeks) reach out by email or phone and express good reasons why you should be in the school. Try to speak to somebody in charge and express that you would accept an offer right away. They are looking for people that are 100% committed. Also, try to see if there is anything you can do at this point to improve your application. If they tell you, do exactly what they say. This will better your chances.

Do not worry, official movement is supposed to start after next week, so hope for the best and good luck!

Maybe I didnt check properly but I couldnt seem to find their DAT cutoffs online? I basically had a 21 or 19 in every section except math, where i had a 16. Overall was 19, and PAT was also 19. Should I still retake?

Maybe I didnt check properly but I couldnt seem to find their DAT cutoffs online? I basically had a 21 or 19 in every section except math, where i had a 16. Overall was 19, and PAT was also 19. Should I still retake?
don't want to give you incorrect advice but those seem good to me

Cheers!

Do you mind sharing your stats? I've submitted my letter of intent and still nothing yet so im wondering how they choose people off the waitlist.

Has anyone hear anything from admissions this week?

Will COVID-19 impact the Waitlist? How full is the class currently?

I sent an email and they said they will keep on checking the wait list periodically and contact the student if anything is needed.

For fourth years; do you need to complete a certain # of procedures or just hours?

For first years: how often do you have exams?

I called them before they shut down and asked them this. They said it would not be affecting wait list movement

Did you reach out to them to try to get off the waitlist? If so how often?
I reached out multiple times. I aimed for every week- every week and a half. I sent about 4 letters and I called a few times too. Just continuously express interest. I was waitlisted 2/11 and accepted 3/12. Just hang in there!

I was fortunate enough to get accepted into both NYU and Touro. But right now, I don't know which school I should go for. I would like to go to NYU, but a lot of people have been talking about the cost of living + high tuition, so I really don't know what to do. Help pls!

I was fortunate enough to get accepted into both NYU and Touro. But right now, I don't know which school I should go for. I would like to go to NYU, but a lot of people have been talking about the cost of living + high tuition, so I really don't know what to do. Help pls!
Touro definitely! Half a million for a dental education is like way too much

The COL if cheaper, since Touro is located more within the subs north of nyc, however tuition wise, its sort of identical, don't think Touro is significantly cheaper than nyu (BOTH still charge private school rates).

Amid COVID-19 outbreak and being a bored NYUCD 22' with nothing else to do. I figured to help some of you with important info that may help make proper adult decisions when deciding where to obtain your dental education.

So, NYU is a good school but so its Touro. The tuition is similar right now masked by emotional state I remember being in when I was accepted and the hundreds before us. But let me tell you once you graduate the dollar figure really hits home from what I hear from recent gradates - not really worth the debt.

You are in NYC in both schools and tbh I thought it would be a great experience to be in LA or NYC for four years. Although this is somewhat true. You really don't have time to explore. First 2 years u will spend almost all of your time in your cramped apartment or study rooms. Cost of living is insane where it is way cheaper nearer columbia or upstate where Touro and NY medical college is. Thats reasonable considering Times square is less than 45 min drive from those institutions. I wish I would have used logic and listened to SDN posts that I read few years back before applying. An expensive lesson learned.

Not to mention for us guys a basic haircut in Kips bay is ~$35
A studio apartment by NYUCD starts at ~2,600K a month. in 4 yrs thats about $120K on top on your students loans. Let that sink in.

Most students dont live in Manhattan. Most in-state and Cali students do have more luxuries. But majority of students live in Brooklyn and Long Island... a commute not worth taking. Just an unnecessary struggle I personally overlooked which impacts social and academic convenience.

To those with acceptances triple think where u choose to go. Any dental school in the US is gold. This isnt undergrad where egos are in need of inflation. Keep it real. Make real decisions.

Last thing, NYC is on lockdown so chances are it wont go away for awhile. That means huge unforeseen burdens on D1 students and if you value experiences like White Coat ceremonies etc chances are no NYC dental school will carry those out. Also the 5k$ deposit may be worth more NOW considering this pandemic we all face are expected to linger for 9 months. A gap yr in disguise - a unexpected gift to some. keep tight and be safe!

Any questions lmk!

-D.M.

NYUCD C/O 22

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
What if it’s the only option?
Thats a hard one to pass up, but that is a decision you need to make. Use logic and reason. Also everyones situation and aspirations are different. If you can afford the cost of living and accept the debt then it may not be a bad decision. There was a post on this thread taking a gap year which isnt such a bad idea in the long run.

Reactions: 2 users
It was my only option too..but I ended up withdrawing my seat before paying the second deposit. It was the hardest decision of my life.

Reactions: 2 users
Thats a hard one to pass up, but that is a decision you need to make. Use logic and reason. Also everyones situation and aspirations are different. If you can afford the cost of living and accept the debt then it may not be a bad decision. There was a post on this thread taking a gap year which isnt such a bad idea in the long run.
Thanks!

Overall, it’s a gamble.

I mean, that's what Life is anyway.
You make choices, take risks, and your life changes accordingly depending on which path you choose.

If you don’t accept your only spot at NYU, and you don’t do anything significant to improve your app (significant means: up your DAT, take more classes to increase GPA, publish, network, finish a masters, start your own business/organization or whatever unique that shows you didn't just stupidly waste that year) AKA: pouring in more $$$/time, you might not be able to get in next year to other schools and NYU might not even want you again.

Moreover, there’s TONS of students on the waitlist just WAITING desperately/VYING for the next open spot there. Also, your withdrawal won’t make a huge impact on their system/curriculum that ppl here are adamant in complaining about.

They say Luck comes to those most prepared and given an opportunity.
First of all, don’t be stupid and waste it. Second of all, you might not be so lucky consecutively, esp. if you don’t play the game right.

So choose your path wisely.
Anything’s possible—getting into a school that fits your criteria the following year or surviving NYU if you commit to matriculating this cycle--you just have to be mentally prepared for whichever path you take, keep going, and not look back (esp. when times get tough). <— extremely important.

And don’t worry too much about what other ppl on here (or around you) say in terms of whether you should “go vs. not go” (everyone's circumstances are different: e.g. might be on waitlist, financial reasons, beef with the current curriculum, "but it's New York!" :rolleyes:, whatever their agenda is)
Figure out what you, yourself, deep down are willing to sacrifice and not regret/be happy with and what your stats can reasonably yield with your ego and **** set aside.

Know what type of person you are, what your situation is, and what you can handle.
I mean, come on--you should at least have a good idea by now lol...

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
But like ya I heard a lot of negative stuff about NYU. Probably better to retake and apply again next year to other schools

Oh, and another thing I wanted to add.

The general consensus on SDN and topic of high interest in your typical NYU interview is the "burden of student debt/loans from attending the school".
If you were worried about it (gives you massive anxiety), yet ultimately decided to matriculate into NYU, you better make well damn sure you pass and graduate on time.
There's no time to worry about your accumulating debt once you enter the rat race.

Just something I noticed since some ppl can't handle the idea of such debt with the high stress that comes with the schooling, so it just snowballs into depression/anxiety which is one of the reasons why some ppl fail to pass.

So if that issue makes you "on edge", I would suggest taking that gap year/gamble and going somewhere where you won't feel so anxious.
Just an FYI.

If a door opens, the least you can do is walk through it. It might not open for you ever again. Other doors can open down the road, that's true, but I guess you really have to ask yourself if you want THIS door. Or are you patient and willing to take a "gamble" for literally a similar outcome.

If I had a dentist's salary coupled with my work ethic, I wouldn't care about the amount of debt. I really wouldn't. I never had a luxurious life anyways.

My point is if you're getting/doing what you want then who cares. Everybody's got numbers and facts and opinions to put in people's faces when it comes to careers/schools/just about everything. Cool. Whatever. Let them have their say.

Debt smiles at us all. All a man/woman can do is smile back.

Reactions: 5 users
Oh, and another thing I wanted to add.

The general consensus on SDN and topic of high interest in your typical NYU interview is the "burden of student debt/loans from attending the school".
If you were worried about it (gives you massive anxiety), yet ultimately decided to matriculate into NYU, you better make well damn sure you pass and graduate on time.
There's no time to worry about your accumulating debt once you enter the rat race.

Just something I noticed since some ppl can't handle the idea of such debt with the high stress that comes with the schooling, so it just snowballs into depression/anxiety which is one of the reasons why some ppl fail to pass.

So if that issue makes you "on edge", I would suggest taking that gap year/gamble and going somewhere where you won't feel so anxious.
Just an FYI.
Agreed