****The Official OHSU Class of 2017 Interview/Acceptance Thread****

OHSU portal updated to "offered made". In the interview they said I would be getting an email first, then send out a letter, and finally a changed portal. Never got the email /shrug.

Members don't see this ad.

OHSU portal updated to "offered made". In the interview they said I would be getting an email first, then send out a letter, and finally a changed portal. Never got the email /shrug.

Mine updated today to "offer made" as well and I received the email at 5:50pm today

AA 20 | TS 18 | PAT 23 | RC 22
Science: 3.93
Overall: 3.9

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Mine updated today to "offer made" as well and I received the email at 5:50pm today

AA 20 | TS 18 | PAT 23 | RC 22
Science: 3.93
Overall: 3.9
The president of my dental club was accepted today as well, and I think she is an instate student...... maybe instate acceptances are happening? Anybody else?

I am just an instater still praying for an interview invite!

I am just an instater still praying for an interview invite![/QUOTE said:
Most instate interviews have typically been January-April, so don't worry.

How do you access your OHSU portal?

The "portal" is referring to the AADSAS portal that you submitted your application through. Click on the "school decisions" link on the right side menu to get a list of the schools that you applied to and their current status. Some schools are really bad about updating it and others are much better.

did the people who have already interviewed and been accepted. did you guys get the competitive applicant letter before getting the interview or did they just send you an interview invite?

I'm an Oregon resident and I received my acceptance offer yesterday :thumbup:
But hang in there! Mark (the dean) told me that the bulk of the interviews will be held in Jan and Feb. Keep your chin up and good luck!

Where is all the OHSU love at? Anybody heard anything?

I guess I should probably log off SDN until I finish finals...

All I want at this point is an interview invitation! Why must they be so slow!?

Congrats guys and gals! It's a pretty good school so far. The best part has been my class...we all get along pretty well and are still chugging along. The worst part has been the consistent work load, but its tolerable. Half our classes seem completely irrelevant to dentistry but that's how it is everywhere.

I was in state and didn't get my interview until early Feb. There were a bunch of in staters interviewed in feb and march and they'll notify you the week before. They accepted out of staters throughout the summer...a couple got in a few days before school. They pay more money so the school likes them. So hang tight everybody!

All I want at this point is an interview invitation! Why must they be so slow!?
Yes, an interview invitation would be wonderful. I just wish there was some way that I could get my academic update to them sooner! I really don't want them to start considering applications for interviews before they have my new grades :( they help a lot!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, an interview invitation would be wonderful. I just wish there was some way that I could get my academic update to them sooner! I really don't want them to start considering applications for interviews before they have my new grades :( they help a lot!

My last term of undergrad was this summer. My academic update is already complete, and there are no more grades that I will ever add to it. I just want to interview here before I make any decisions about my other acceptances!! Why does my state school have to be the slowest!?!

hey fellow Oregonians!

I just got a letter from OHSu saying they're holding onto my paperwork for winter interview, dunno what this means.

In the meantime, I am wondering what classes to take while waiting for dental schools to call, anybody got tips?I've been volunteering and actually am working at OHSU, been shadowing around with 5 different dentists, just wondering what to do now.

Classes wise, i've heard that if i take something that's in the public health area, it''ll look better on the application (yes i'm preparing for a possible reapp). Should i do a master on this while waiting, or should i just take the classes as it is, or do post-bac with public health? Or any other classes that I should take to boost my science GPA?

thanks guys :)

hey fellow Oregonians!

I just got a letter from OHSu saying they're holding onto my paperwork for winter interview, dunno what this means.

In the meantime, I am wondering what classes to take while waiting for dental schools to call, anybody got tips?I've been volunteering and actually am working at OHSU, been shadowing around with 5 different dentists, just wondering what to do now.

Classes wise, i've heard that if i take something that's in the public health area, it''ll look better on the application (yes i'm preparing for a possible reapp). Should i do a master on this while waiting, or should i just take the classes as it is, or do post-bac with public health? Or any other classes that I should take to boost my science GPA?

Public health classes definitely show that you have a interest in health care, so it can't hurt. If you're worried about your science GPA, then you should definitely take some upper division science classes like Micro, Cell Bio, or Genetics. OHSU likes pretty high GPAs all around, and public health classes are nonscience credits, so it would boost your overall gpa.

Mark said that they are not sending out anything as far as interviews until January and to expect OHSU to start interviewing the bulk of people January and February. I know that's not super new info but I guess we can all enjoy break and get back to stressing early January

hey fellow Oregonians!

Hello there! If I were you, I would not take anything science/health related. I'm an Oregon resident and was accepted to OHSU on Dec 3rd. They told me that one of the reasons why they liked my application was because I had so many non-science related electives on there, such as anthropology, literature, sociology, economics, art, etc. OHSU loves well-rounded, multi-dimensional people, so go ahead and take a class that's completely out there and that you think is interesting! They'll appreciate that, trust me ;)
Good luck!

Received the email a few days ago! I already confirmed at another school though. Good luck everyone :thumbup:

Just got the interview invitation email! Going to call and set it up tomorrow!! Sooo stoked!

Just got the interview invitation email! Going to call and set it up tomorrow!! Sooo stoked!
congratulations! I hope that the rest of us can be so lucky! I know you said you took summer classes, you submitted those in your academic update? How long did it take for those to be processed by AADSAS? Also, what are your ECs like? Sorry for the interrogation by the way haha

Still hoping my academic update will catch their attention!

congratulations! I hope that the rest of us can be so lucky! I know you said you took summer classes, you submitted those in your academic update? How long did it take for those to be processed by AADSAS? Also, what are your ECs like? Sorry for the interrogation by the way haha

Still hoping my academic update will catch their attention!

I submitted the academic update on the first day it became available and had requested my transcript the week prior. They were received on 11/26, and my grades were verified about a week later.

ECs are as followed: Was an officer in my school's predental club, was part of a student leader fellowship, and I have about 400 hours of volunteer experience outside of the dental field at family resource centers and food banks. I've been an expanded functions dental assistant since 2007, and have over 5000 hours of dental experience, which included events like Mission of Mercy and several Give Kids a Smile Days.

Good luck to everyone! I'm so excited!!!

Scheduled the interview for this coming Friday!

Finally an interview that I don't have to fly to or spend a ton to get to!

Good luck in your interview! Please let us know how many people interview at the same time as you!

Had my interview at OHSU today! It was supposed to be me and three other people, but one of them didn't show up for some reason. All of us were Oregon residents.

The interview is SUPER chill. It started with a "writing sample", which will be something along the lines of "What is the last book you read and explain why you would or would not recommend it to a friend?". We observed in their clinic for a while, then I interviewed with two faculty members separately for 30 minutes each. After that I ate lunch one on one with a 2nd year dental student.

Started at 9am. I left at 1pm.

Got my email acceptance at 3:45pm.

Today was a very good day! :D

Last edited:
OH! And they have only filled 20% of the seats so far! So you all still have a shot!!

Does anyone know if the Class of 2017 has a facebook page??

I got my acceptance today! My interview was last Thursday Jan 3rd.

I got an interview invite today! I'll be declining it though. It's too bad ohsu starts interviewing later than other schools; it would've been nice to visit Portland again :)

I got an interview invite today! I'll be declining it though. It's too bad ohsu starts interviewing later than other schools; it would've been nice to visit Portland again :)
Sorry to hear that, but tell them to feel free to send an invite my way! Haha

I just got accepted! So excited!! Congrats guys!

Congrats Amberena!! Great to find you on here. I'm still waiting for to hear from OHSU; fingers crossed.

Congrats Amberena!! Great to find you on here. I'm still waiting for to hear from OHSU; fingers crossed.

Cliff! :D Be patient! They do most of their interviews in the next few months! My fingers are crossed for you!

Congrats man!! When did you hear from them? by email?

Congrats man!! When did you hear from them? by email?
Just heard by email tonight. My application was submitted on 9/31 and AADSAS mail out date 10/26. Updated on AADSAS 10/30.

I have to wait to call until tomorrow to schedule...how soon has OHSU been scheduling interviews after interview invitations? I was hoping that Tufts would be first so I could use it as a "test run" of sorts. Do you think it will be before or after February 12th?

Haha! I knew it would happen! I was able to schedule my interview a week after I got the invitation!
I am so excited!!! My interview is scheduled for Tuesday, so I have a lot of prep to do over the weekend! What should I expect in the interview? What order do they do everything? Like interview first, middle last? One-on-one interview? Open file? Can you recall any specific questions that might have caught you off guard?

I am so excited!!! My interview is scheduled for Tuesday, so I have a lot of prep to do over the weekend! What should I expect in the interview? What order do they do everything? Like interview first, middle last? One-on-one interview? Open file? Can you recall any specific questions that might have caught you off guard?

I PM'd you! It's a really easy interview. Do not spend too much time overpreparing or stressing out. Just be yourself and have fun with the interviewers. Prove you're an actual person and not just an application. :)

Has anyone post interview had their AADSAS updated to APPLICATION COMPLETE/RECEIVED
with this message:

Your application is complete at this point in our process. A limited number of acceptances are offered beginning December 1, and the admission process will continue until the class is confirmed full sometime towards the end of February. The Admissions Committee will meet periodically to discuss applications and make decisions accordingly.

Ahhhhh, I think I messed it up :(

Has anyone post interview had their AADSAS updated to APPLICATION COMPLETE/RECEIVED
with this message:

Your application is complete at this point in our process. A limited number of acceptances are offered beginning December 1, and the admission process will continue until the class is confirmed full sometime towards the end of February. The Admissions Committee will meet periodically to discuss applications and make decisions accordingly.

Don't think that you screwed it up.

I interviewed on the 14th of January. In-state. I thought mine went well and was expecting to hear from them soon too.

I got my acceptance email at exactly 5:00pm on the 17th. I was so relieved.

Now to reply to your post.

I got the official mailed acceptance on the 21st. A couple of days later like on the 23rd I got the same letter from Mark stating what you just got. It was dated the morning of the 17th.

So they must send that letter out regardless even before a decision is made.

So don't give up, you might get that acceptance email/letter soon.

Good luck

with this message:

You didn't mess it up! Keep waiting!! My AADSAS has been updated several times by them with long messages like the one you got.

Last edited: