****The Official OHSU Class of 2017 Interview/Acceptance Thread****

cv103

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
They finally updated my portal to "Received/Under Review." Post that good stuff.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
same for me. and about time that they started too.

Same as you guys. Excited to (hopefully) get the ball rolling with another school.

What batch were you guys in? My application was sent out in the 13th batch, but they have already cashed my check and received my application.

i was in batch 7. you should be fine since they have only started reviewing recently. hopefully they show me some florida love.

My AADSAS updated too!! FINALLY! Can't wait to hear from this one since I'm in-state!!

Goooooodness gracious! Has anyone heard anything back yet!? :xf:

well im glad im not the only one who has not heard anything from them.

They emailed me to say they were missing one of my recommendation letters, which is a lie because I submitted a committee letter. I emailed them back but haven't heard any updates.

Members don't see this ad :)
they require 2 from science teachers, i think thats why they are emailing you. they did the same to a friend of mine asking for another letter from a science professor.

No, my committee letter contained two science letters, one non science, and two dentists. I have everything they require. :(

Does anyone hear anything from OHSU? Rainy season started here in Portland, there should be something. It's too calm...

They are still reviewing applications and have not started inviting for interviews.

Hi there! I am an out of state applicant, My DAT is a 20 and my GPA is a 3.5. I have no idea if this is good enough for OOS applicants but I decided to add this school because my brother recently moved to Portland to work and my parents were talking about maybe moving over there too. Any other OOS applicants?? :) what do you guys think about my chances?

Hi there! I am an out of state applicant, My DAT is a 20 and my GPA is a 3.5. I have no idea if this is good enough for OOS applicants but I decided to add this school because my brother recently moved to Portland to work and my parents were talking about maybe moving over there too. Any other OOS applicants?? :) what do you guys think about my chances?
When I was volunteering with some 3rd and 4th year dental students, they told me that OHSU is making the transition to accepting more OOS essentially because more OOS = more $$$$

In terms of your competitiveness, I would say your stats are decent. Their average AA is 19.31 and their average oGPA is 3.67. For more stats, look here: http://www.ohsu.edu/xd/education/sc...tive-students/dmd-program/upload/2011stat.pdf

When did you apply? I applied late and am still waiting for them to update my AADSAS to under review, which I am worried will hurt my chances. If your application is already under review then I'd say your in a good position.

A student I know there told me that this past weekend they had interviews. Anyone else heard anything about them starting or got any interview invitations?

A student I know there told me that this past weekend they had interviews. Anyone else heard anything about them starting or got any interview invitations?

No one has posted their interviews @ OHSU unless those people do not know about SDN

I spoke to Jenna in admissions ten days ago and she said they were still doing their initial application reviews and that they had not started the interview process yet.

Maybe they started it a couple days after I spoke to her.

As of this week I heard no interviews have been offered, and the first meeting to select interviewees will be November/December.

How long did it take from the time you turned in your application to them changing your status to application under review? The only response I have received was an email for OHSU saying that my application was complete on October 9th :(

My application mailed out on July 13th, but my AADSAS didn't show that I was under review by OHSU until September 20th.

Hopefully mine changes in the next couple weeks.

Thank you

Just got an email saying I'm basically on continuing review.....

Just got an email saying I'm basically on continuing review.....

I got the same email. It says they have done an initial review of my application and that they are not ready to take final action at this time.

"Soft rejection" perhaps? Or waiting for academic update? People's thoughts?

My guess is that they are waiting for an academic update.

I got an email from them saying I'm in the my "application is amongst a highly competitive pool, which we typically select from to participate in the interview process. You will be notified in writing should you be selected as an interview candidate"

Nothing to do with academic update. It's either a soft rejection like buffalo or just a "we are still reviewing your app" email like western. I guess we will just wait and see!

I got an email from them saying I'm in the my "application is amongst a highly competitive pool, which we typically select from to participate in the interview process. You will be notified in writing should you be selected as an interview candidate"

I got the same one. It's good to finally see some action from OHSU.

same here, not sure what to make of it

The competitive applicant email is a good one to get, most people who get that email will interview eventually.

The competitive applicant email is a good one to get, most people who get that email will interview eventually.

Mind if I ask where r u basing this off of? Just curious

Last edited:
Mind if I ask where r u basing his off of? Just curious
He is probably basing it off the fact that the email says that they typically select from this competitive pool for their interviews. Most schools interview a few hundred people. If they have a little over a thousand applicants, I would imagine that most from the "highly competitive pool" will get an interview.

He is probably basing it off the fact that the email says that they typically select from this competitive pool for their interviews. Most schools interview a few hundred people. If they have a little over a thousand applicants, I would imagine that most from the "highly competitive pool" will get an interview.

^^ Yes! And I am from Portland so I have been around applicants, students, and graduates for the last 4 years and know the addmisions process fairly well. It's obviously not a sure thing, just a good sign.

^^ Yes! And I am from Portland so I have been around applicants, students, and graduates for the last 4 years and know the addmisions process fairly well. It's obviously not a sure thing, just a good sign.

thanks

I got this email today...

Is this a soft rejection? I feel like they are saying that I am rejected!!!;(
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Following the initial review of your application to the Oregon Health & Science University School of Dentistry, we are not prepared to take official action at this time. Upon application submission, applicants should have completed a minimum of 90 semester credit hours which include a minimum of 32 semester credit hours in the required sciences.

Factors such as GPA and DAT scores have been considered, as well as the total number of completed credit hours both overall and in the required sciences at the time of application, degree status, dental career exploration, community service, research experience and letters of evaluation. Applications are reviewed periodically throughout the duration of the cycle. Only complete applications will be considered. You will be informed immediately of any change in the status of your application.

As you may know, OHSU is one of many highly competitive dental school programs in the country. Our most recently admitted class was selected from an applicant pool of exactly 1,184 individuals. The entering class of 2012 matriculated with an average overall GPA of 3.65 and an average science GPA of 3.59. DAT score averages were 19.12 (academic average), 19.00 (total science) and 20.13 (perceptual ability). All seventy-five students matriculated with a bachelor's degree and several entered with multiple bachelor's degrees.

We thank you for your interest in the OHSU School of Dentistry. Again, you will be contacted in writing as soon as a determination has been made regarding your application. "
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GPA (overall/science)3.84 undergraduate
GPA post bac 4.0
GPA graduate 3.65
AA 21 TS 21 PAT 25 RC 16

i have a 16 in RC as well but I didnt receive that email. I got the email that says I passed initial review. I would figure they would like you as well since you have a better AA and TS score than what I have.

did you take enough bio classes?

I am going crazy...I still have yet to have my AADSAS updated to continuing review. When did you guys submit? I am in the 13th batch and have called multiple times to hear that they typically update AADSAS well and that if I haven't heard anything then they haven't gotten around to reviewing my application.

Anybody else apply late (around 13th batch) and is still waiting for the "continuing review" update from AADSAS?

i have a 16 in RC as well but I didnt receive that email. I got the email that says I passed initial review. I would figure they would like you as well since you have a better AA and TS score than what I have.

did you take enough bio classes?

For bio, I took a general bio (one semester course), Cell Bio, BioChem, Animal Physiology, and Genetics and now I am taking another general bio courses (3 quarter courses) since most dental schools require 1year long bio courses.

I also took histology, anatomy, more biochem at graduate school.

They may not give me a chance since I am an international student. :(

I am going crazy...I still have yet to have my AADSAS updated to continuing review. When did you guys submit? I am in the 13th batch and have called multiple times to hear that they typically update AADSAS well and that if I haven't heard anything then they haven't gotten around to reviewing my application.

Anybody else apply late (around 13th batch) and is still waiting for the "continuing review" update from AADSAS?

I turned in my application in late August. I do not know what batch I am in, but still have not heard anything from the AADSAS.

They e-mailed me to say they were losing one of my suggestions characters, which is a lie because I posted a panel page. I e-mailed it back again but haven't observed any up-dates.

LMAO this spambot isnt making any sense

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone know the tough timeline between receiving the "competitive email" and an invite?
Could it be weeks or days? if they would schedule our interviews it would probably be around the end of the month or maybe Post-Dec

i called them after getting the email,,and the lady on the phone said they'll start sending out interviews in couple of weeks...around early November.