****The Official OHSU Class of 2023 Interview/Acceptance Thread****

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does OHSU’s interview have any writing portion? If so, any advice on that would be much appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using SDN
I may be wrong, but I think there are all different writing prompts. Mine was “Why would you be a good dental student?” You get a folder at the beginning of the day and there is a piece of paper inside with the prompt. If you show up on time, you get a solid 30 minutes to write it. There’s no pressure at all. However, you do write with pen so be wise in what you write.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Does OHSU’s interview have any writing portion? If so, any advice on that would be much appreciated

My writing prompt was “If you could travel anywhere in the world where would you go and why?” The prompt for the other student interviewing was “If you won the lottery, what would you spend it on and why?” It was super relaxed and we had plenty of time!

I have three questions!

1. Does anyone know if Mark is a director or a part of the admissions committee who decides on acceptances? I'm not sure if this is correct, but it seems like at some schools, the person who has the job that Mark does actually has no say in who gets admitted, while at other schools they do.

2. Anyone have any idea how much of the class is full yet? I think I heard that Mark said they are planning to interview until around the end of February. Starting to get extra nervous.

3. Also, has anyone here been accepted that did not take full time classes? I know a rigorous course load is important to OHSU but I have been taking evening classes after work so my transcripts only have 1 or 2 classes per term.

1 Mark is the dean of admissions, He's on the admissions committee. I dont know if he has any specific say on who gets admitted 100% but he's one of the people that helps pick out WHO gets interviewed. 90+% of the people interviewed are accepted to OHSU (from matriculation stats which you can google) The people interviewing you also are in the admissions committee for the students that they interview.

2. No idea how full it is, but they wont tell you specifically if you call. People interview into april pretty much every year for OHSU and people drop out of acceptances even up to the last couple weeks. There are at least 4-5 from my class (2021) that got accepted from people dropping out even in the first week of august (but you'd obv have to be interviewed and on the waitlist for that to occur.) I can say that since they have all of the admissions staff this year (noones on maternal leave unlike last year) they seem to be interviewing more people earlier than they did last year and more often. but people ARE interviewing pretty much every week and we see them getting tours through the school and our clinics.

3. People have gotten in on part time classes. But most of those worked full time, or had other things going on. I can 100% say that I've heard Mark say that they value people that take on large coarse loads as it helps demonstrate ability for the heavy load that dental school drops on you. You can swing that however you want though in interviews if it's brought up. Always take anything that sounds negative and turn it into a positive. Just be aware that dental school really is a lot of time and effort. It isnt a cakewalk. Undergrad hours and study amount is a joke comparatively. Getting an A in undergrad sciences is easy.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This isn't specific but I called last week and was told the class is not full. That's all I've heard personally!

Anybody know when the next interview batch is or if anyone has received interviews?

got my acceptance email recently but will most likely be declining it.

Last edited:
I interviewed today and looks like there’s still a good number of seats left

I interviewed today and looks like there’s still a good number of seats left

Do you know if they mentioned when they're going to send out the next batch of interview invites or when they will plan to stop interviewing? Really keeping my fingers crossed for an invite.

When will there be a facebook page for Class of 2023? I am eager to join :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have the link? I have been on facebook like all day trying to find it haha

I called this week and was told they will be interviewing for another month or so

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone got interview invote today? I got one today!!! Scheduled one for Friday 3/1.

Just turned down an interview here

Any oregon residents out there who got into other schools out of state but have not heard from OHSU?

To those of you who are still waiting, the OHSU class of 2023 FB group has 59 members so far so I’m sure there are still 10-15 spots left. Good luck everyone!

Yes! Still waiting to hear from OHSU
Makes me feel better. I have been feeling like they forgot about me or something. Like how could I get in somewhere else but not in state. Definitely freaking out now that it's close to the end but maybe they are trying to get the OOS spots secured first since they know in state is more likely to accept.

I joined a couple other class of 2023 FB groups too before I made more decisions, so you never know if a couple of those 59 get a better offer somewhere else maybe there will be more spots. At least that's what I'm telling myself to feel better LOL

Do you mind sharing your stats? And whether you're instate or out of state?

Good luck in your interview!
I am OOS. Non traditional... so stats aren’t really comparable...

Got two Bachelor’s one in Fine Art one in Science.
21AA 22TS 23PAT 22 RC 18 QR

3.9/4.3 and 3.3/4.0
Lots of obstacles (medical/family) during second BS (explains lower grade)

5+ yr full time research with published papers
100+ shadowing
3000+ volunteers

Strong LORs.

Wish me luck on Friday !!

To those of you who are still waiting, the OHSU class of 2023 FB group has 59 members so far so I’m sure there are still 10-15 spots left. Good luck everyone!

Is it possible some don’t use FB ? LoL
Just feeling nervous.

I am in UMN now and it’s been full for a while (yet the 3/1 is coming up and I am sure some will drop after mid March) .

3.9/4.3 and 3.3/4.0

100+ shadowing
3000+ volunteers

Strong LORs.

Good luck on your interview! Just don't be nervous and you'll be fine! This is an interview you'll enjoy :)!

3.9/4.3 and 3.3/4.0

100+ shadowing
3000+ volunteers

Strong LORs.

Would love to know how it went! and if they said any tidbits about how full the class was or how much longer they'll be interviewing :p

Would love to know how it went! and if they said any tidbits about how full the class was or how much longer they'll be interviewing :p
They said it’s not full yet! And probably interview couple more weeks and try to fill the full class!
It sounded like they want to end the cycle (fill) sooner than later haha.

I think we still got spots left and got a shot!!!

Interview was very specific to my app and was relaxed conversation!!! I loved the school facilities and lunch buddy and everything!!!!

I'm really hoping to get an interview! I hope it's not too late last I heard from them was in September, and I got the "we are not prepared to take official action at this time". Did anyone else get this email and still get an interview?

On FB there are now 67 members for class of 2023.
So I think we all still have a chance! Lets keep our hopes up! :D

Has anyone called recently to ask how much longer they'll be extending interview invites? I think it was mid-February when I had called and was told they'd be interviewing for another month or so. Now I'm getting worried!

Has anyone called recently to ask how much longer they'll be extending interview invites? I think it was mid-February when I had called and was told they'd be interviewing for another month or so. Now I'm getting worried!

I asked and they said through March. So I’m guessing maybe just the next couple weeks

Are you OOS or In state?
Thanks for the update! Got into another school?

& Thanks hopefully! I still have hope just hate the wait.

Yup! I got excepted from 4 other school, OSHU was one of my dream school but due to living conditons, cost of living, curriculun and state of the art sim-lab i've decided to go with MWU.
ps. I am OOS

Last edited:
Yup! I got excepted from 4 other school, OSHU was one of my dream school but due to living conditons, cost of living, curriculun and state of the art sim-lab i've decided to go with MWU.
ps. I am OOS
Nice! Yeah cost of living is a big issue here in Portland, super expensive. That's a clever idea, that you looked at all the aspects of the Universities and chose the best that would fit you!
Well congratz & I hope you have a great time at MWU! :D

Thanks for sharing.

I called the admissions office again yesterday and they said the class isn't full yet. They'll be interviewing a few more weeks, probably even into April. She said they're still reviewing applications just about every day. There's still hope!

I called the admissions office again yesterday and they said the class isn't full yet. They'll be interviewing a few more weeks, probably even into April. She said they're still reviewing applications just about every day. There's still hope!
Great!! Lets keep our hopes up!! :)

Thanks for the update!

That is worrisome, but they aren't full yet according to the admissions office on Friday!

71 members on FB, kind of getting worried. Are they already full?

Hoping to alleviate some stress - some of the members in the group are current students. So the total member number you see isnt an accurate representation.

Good luck to everyone!

Last edited:
Received an interview invite here last week! Will be scheduling it today. Does anyone know if chances of getting in after an interview here are less now that we're nearing the end of the cycle?

Just declined the interview invitation that I received 4 days ago.

I hope someone who does not have interviews yet or has this school as his/her dream school get invited instead.

Best of luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.