****The Official Touro Class of 2023 Interview/ Acceptance Thread****

Status
Not open for further replies.
My email says this about the wait list
The files of wait listed students are not ranked. The Committee will holistically review these files continuously starting in mid-February until registration July 1st, 2019.
When did you do the interview?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
To those who got the waitlist email, when did you interview?

Waitlisted, interviewed on Jan 23 afternoon

Reactions: 1 user
Waitlisted... Interviewed Jan 23 morning session.

Are you warming up to going there? i know you really did not want to
Well I’ve come to the realization that there’s no way I’m doing a masters and I’m lucky enough to get into 1 school so yes. If i absolutely had to go to UB it rly would not be the worst thing in the world lmao. So yes if I don’t get into NYU or touro I’m going to UB.

Reactions: 2 users
Those of you who interviewed, would you mind answering these questions?
-Were there any ethical/MMI questions asked?
-Were you asked any weird/unique questions?

It was just straight forward questions, nothing hard / stressful. Very conversational

Did anyone from the 23rd interview get accepted?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was interviewed on the 30th and was waitlisted this afternoon. :bigtears::hungover:

I thought they were ending the interview process next week, right before Valentine's but turned out they were interviewing until the end of Feb huh

No ethics questions or anything crazy, if you have a bad grade or a low score on the dat like I scored low on the bio section just explain that to them they were very real and understanding. They mostly said I would be great for the school and talked about my letters and my gpa how I did well they were super nice. BUT then when they asked if I got into another school and I gave them an answer and they asked if I put a deposit down I think that is why I was wait listed lol. I think if I told them I did not get in anywhere I would have been accepted but I guess they want to see if I really wanted their school enough to stay on the wait list but I did not lol. Did you get into any other programs?

No ethics questions or anything crazy, if you have a bad grade or a low score on the dat like I scored low on the bio section just explain that to them they were very real and understanding. They mostly said I would be great for the school and talked about my letters and my gpa how I did well they were super nice. BUT then when they asked if I got into another school and I gave them an answer and they asked if I put a deposit down I think that is why I was wait listed lol. I think if I told them I did not get in anywhere I would have been accepted but I guess they want to see if I really wanted their school enough to stay on the wait list but I did not lol. Did you get into any other programs?

That doesn't make sense. Schools wouldn't prefer that you don't put the deposit down and jeopardize the chance of going anywhere especially with their own decision coming out weeks after the interview. That cannot be the reason why you were waitlisted.

Also, I guarantee you they won't feel sorry for you and accept you if you told them that you did not get in anywhere else.

That doesn't make sense. Schools wouldn't prefer that you don't put the deposit down and jeopardize the chance of going anywhere especially with their own decision coming out weeks after the interview. That cannot be the reason why you were waitlisted.

Also, I guarantee you they won't feel sorry for you and accept you if you told them that you did not get in anywhere else.
I did put a deposit down I was not going to to lie to them. And I feel that if you do not have a school you got into and they see their school as your only choice and you wont say no it is different, has nothing to do with "feeling sorry".

did anyone get accepted that interviewed late January? it seems like everyone just was waitlisted?

It's not your fault. I told them that I don't have any acceptance yet. Guess what? Waitlisted.

It's not your fault. I told them that I don't have any acceptance yet. Guess what? Waitlisted.
It seems like they are essentially wait listing almost everyone, but I really did not want to lie to them and them find out some how some way I got into another program.

Any word for those who interviewed 1/30?

Just got an interview for the 27th of Feb. I've put down the first deposit at UNE, but seriously considering attending the interview.

I have to agree with this. I think the only concern they have by bringing up this question is to know if you have a deposit pending, then they want a chance for their acceptance and deposit to be considered rather than already being out of the running if they really want you in the school. If you already put down a deposit, did you tell them why you are still there attending this interview? That if accepted, is this the school you would much rather attend and be willing to forego the deposit at the other school? Otherwise, your response should make no difference to them and if you're a fit for what they are looking for, they'll accept you regardless of what you answer.

did anyone get accepted that interviewed late January? it seems like everyone just was waitlisted?
I interviewed in the morning of January 23rd and received my acceptance on January 29th.

Hey guys, I am from Florida and I have questions about my transition to NY, I am not sure if this is the most appropriate thread but maybe someone here can help me. Can you guys please recommend the best area to live? I would like to live by myself so I am looking for an 1bed/1bathroom apt, and since I am a girl I'd like a safer area where I could get home at night without a problem (close to school off course). Also, do I need a car in this area? I know NY has excellent public transportation but I am not sure if it works the same way in the suburbs. I live in Miami so maybe I could drive up there but only if a car is necessary. Finally, does anybody have any idea when do classes start? so I could start planning when to move. I tried to look for some of these answers on their website, but they only have info about the current academic year. Please any notes are helpful. Thank you and good luck to all of you!:)
Hey! I'm from miami too! Nice to know I have someone in Touro from my neck of the woods!
I'm looking into downtown white plains, and also Rye/Port Chester (This area reminds me somewhat of coral gables because it has a little strip that looks like miracle mile), but the area seems pretty nice and safe. It seems to me the areas I like are closer to Connecticut but no more than a 15 min drive. Im planning on moving around the end of may/beginning of June. I believe school starts July, if i'm not mistaken.

Let me know if you want to chat more or meet up for some drinks anytime! We can help each other through this lmao

I have been looking on the websites in the manual the school provided, craiglist etc. But I was not sure what was normal price, that is definitely not normal where I live lol.
lol
Does anyone know if its worth it to take Biochemistry 2 this semester, I have been waitlisted from Touro, and wondering if it would help my application???
I would say so. In my interview the guy was happy to see I had a masters in Biomedical meaning I did biochem I+II, molecular I+II, immuno, viro, cancer bio. I got an acceptance email 2 days later. Hope that helps and good luck!

I interviewed in the morning of January 23rd and received my acceptance on January 29th.
Can I ask what your stats are and what your response was to "have you been accepted to any other school"
Also anyone interviewed on Jan 30 hear back ?

Can I ask what your stats are and what your response was to "have you been accepted to any other school"
Also anyone interviewed on Jan 30 hear back ?
Cumulative GPA 3.83, bio GPA 3.70, mathematics GPA 3.98, Canadian DAT 19.6 (November 2017): bio 20, chem 21, rc 18, PAT 21. American DAT 22.0 (November 2018): bio 23, chem 24, orgo 24, rc 19, qr 20, PAT 22

I said I didn't have another acceptance, but that I was wait listed at 4 other schools (which is true).

Hey! I'm from miami too! Nice to know I have someone in Touro from my neck of the woods!
I'm looking into downtown white plains, and also Rye/Port Chester (This area reminds me somewhat of coral gables because it has a little strip that looks like miracle mile), but the area seems pretty nice and safe. It seems to me the areas I like are closer to Connecticut but no more than a 15 min drive. Im planning on moving around the end of may/beginning of June. I believe school starts July, if i'm not mistaken.

Let me know if you want to chat more or meet up for some drinks anytime! We can help each other through this lmao

Hey! I'm from Florida too :highfive: (Boca Raton area). I'm pretty lost on what areas are the cheapest + safest to live in, but I'm going to start the hunt in June. I checked the calendar and it seems like classes start in July. Seems like they accepted a good amount of Floridians lol we are in for a treat with the cold weather!

Hey! I'm from Florida too :highfive: (Boca Raton area). I'm pretty lost on what areas are the cheapest + safest to live in, but I'm going to start the hunt in June. I checked the calendar and it seems like classes start in July. Seems like they accepted a good amount of Floridians lol we are in for a treat with the cold weather!
yep its definitely gonna be something to get use to! :bullcrap:lol I visited the area last month and from what I saw its pretty nice and safe. Seems like a 1/1 that isn't run down is about $2000-2200/month. (probably more when they tag on the fees lol) If you ever want to meet up for drinks or chat let me know, it would be cool to get to know some south Florida peeps before we settle up there.

yep its definitely gonna be something to get use to! :bullcrap:lol I visited the area last month and from what I saw its pretty nice and safe. Seems like a 1/1 that isn't run down is about $2000-2200/month. (probably more when they tag on the fees lol) If you ever want to meet up for drinks or chat let me know, it would be cool to get to know some south Florida peeps before we settle up there.

Yea I didn't see anything less than 2000 :/
But that would be awesome to get to know someone before being dropped off in a small town in NY for 4 years hahah but I'm sure everyone is super friendly at Touro. I would be down to chat (for some reason I wasn't able to send a private message but we can go from there if you know how lol)

I just declined my spot. Hope it goes to one of you!

Reactions: 1 users
So... why Touro?

I don't see why Touro would be an option for someone who is already into NYU, Stony, or Buffalo. Is it because Touro is the only option left?

Genuinely curious. It's not cheap. It's new with no graduates. So, why? Enlighten me please!

I’m on my second account for anonymity, so I won’t say exactly what year I am, but I’ve talked to multiple students specifically from NYU, Buffalo, and Stony Brook. I have some idea how their curriculum is compared to Touro. Hopefully this will help most of you make the right decision yourself. Also this will be sloppy with no organization and proofreading, just whatever pops in my head.

Why Touro?
Pros
1) Genuinely caring dental faculty and staff. They treat you respectfully and professionally, and they will take you’re concerns seriously. Most are knowledgeable not just in dentistry, but business and life lessons overall. The basic science professors from the medical schools are hit and miss though.
2) Jewish holidays and Fridays “Off”. As a Christian, I was very surprised during the Rosh Hashanah season around September/October when we got four day weekends for a month. Also, classes end by noon on Friday, and those basic sciences usually don’t require attendance.
3) No residency program. Buffalo students cannot place implants at all, only restore, due to residents. Touro students in clinic rotate between different specialities such as OMS, pedatric, etc which they eventually get to perform once the faculty believes they’re ready.
—-Someone mentioned how this is a major con due to no information about a specialties and no connections. My argument: real networking is made outside of school by participating in organizations or events like with ASDA where you actually meet and hang out with residency program directors. Also, the one of the best connections you can make is with faculty by getting the rec letter. As for learning about specialities, you’ll learn this throughout the four years, or you should ask for your money back. Information about residencies, we had a residency fair a few weeks ago and should hopefully become an annually event.
4) Technologically competent school. Examsoft is handled very well and problems are fixed in a timely manner. Digital impressions work great with 3D printers to complement. Recorded lectures work great and very consistent.
5) Early exposure to drilling within the first week of D1 Summer and fixed/removable dentures during D1 Fall. Compared to Stony Brook who don’t start prostho until D2 and Buffalo who don’t prep fillings at all until D1 Spring.
6) Beautiful and safe area that is only about 40-60 minutes train away from NYC. Great place to raise a family, not so much for being single though
7) FIG scrubs starting Summer 2019. Not sure what color Class of 2023 will wear, but it won’t be Navy, Maroon, or Gray.
8) Clinic is marketed to the public as a “practice”. They’re pushing for personable care with patients staying within the practice/students indefinitely
9) One of the cheaper private schools, although that isn’t saying much.
10) NYMC campus if you get bored studying at the dental school
11) You’re allowed and even encouraged to recruit patients. Some schools like Pittsburgh (or Penn, foggy memory) don’t allow it
12) Students all have fair chance when it comes to exams. Depending on the course, old exams and quizzes will be provided by the course director. Compared to NYU where you have to know the right people to get access to a exam bank
13) Support from the NYS local district dentists practicing in Westchester. Numerous have taken Touro students to mentor/shadow
14) Close to HPN airport. Very convenient to leave my car at the school parking lot and just Uber during long vacations since I normally park on alternating street at home
15) NBDE Part 1 is taken after D2 Fall and students are given mid December to early February to study. Although not exactly sure how they will change this with the new mandatory INBDE for Class of 2023.
16) Everyone overall is relatively happy and cool with each other, and not too stressed out. Not counting finals week though

Cons
1) Faculty can be limited during certain days that leads to a line to get signed off on that day’s lab assignment. This is constantly being worked on and improved though.
2) Some basic science can be watered down if you care. Physiology never went medical school depth, but anatomy is taught exactly the same.
3) Exam questions can be tricky and poorly worded. Although, points can be given back if enough people were affected and complained.
4) No cafeteria yet. Although there will be some small “cafe” perhaps within this year or next. At least forces you to pack healthier food.
5) Ortho is slightly lacking without traditional metal system. However, the Invisalign offered has gotten way better the past decade to treat even severe cases
6) Expensive rent, gas, grocery, car insurance. Especially rent
7) No traffic light at the school entrance. Pretty scary to turn left during rush hour.
8) Shorter Christmas/New Years break due to the earlier Jewish holidays
9) No classes with medical students like Stony Brook or Columbia. It’s hard to meet a single and ready to mingle medical student
10) Lunchtime can get pretty crowded. Once next year’s class comes, the lines for the microwaves will officially become NYC approved.
11) Don’t see patients until after D2 Spring. Current Touro model will be D4 as provider and D3 assisting, maybe D3 occasionally taking over. Stony Brook has a cool hierarchy mentoring model of D2,D3,D4 together which streamlines the downtime apparently. Buffalo starts clinic a few months earlier than Touro during their D2 Spring

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Anyone from January 30th group get an acceptance yet?

When did you interview ? Were you waitlisted?
I interviewed on 1/9 and was accepted (not waitlisted) on 1/14. There is a chance that if others like me were accepted on that date, they also had until yesterday to make the decision whether to decline the acceptance or go ahead and put in the first deposit. Maybe a few spots opened up, you never know!

I interviewed on 1/9 and was accepted (not waitlisted) on 1/14. There is a chance that if others like me were accepted on that date, they also had until yesterday to make the decision whether to decline the acceptance or go ahead and put in the first deposit. Maybe a few spots opened up, you never know!
Thank you!!!!

Interviewed on 1/30 waitlisted today
Did they mention anything to you about the waitlist or time lines? I feel like people’s waitliat letters who interview mid January or later said that the waitlist would be looked at mid February where mine said early February

Status
Not open for further replies.