*** The Official Tufts School of Dentistry Class of 2023 Interview/Acceptance Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
View attachment 252566

The new financial aid manual is up for this year and I was curious as to what the numbers would look like for someone to take out the full amount of loans for COA.

I encourage everyone planning on attending any dental school this year to do the same and get an idea with what kind of debt you will be looking at after graduation.

I’m excited to attend Tufts this summer but I definitely have a game plan to cut down those loan costs.
Wait... Is the number estimated direct cost?? Without monthly rent and other stuff?
Just wanted to confirm.

Members don't see this ad.

View attachment 252566

The new financial aid manual is up for this year and I was curious as to what the numbers would look like for someone to take out the full amount of loans for COA.

I encourage everyone planning on attending any dental school this year to do the same and get an idea with what kind of debt you will be looking at after graduation.

I’m excited to attend Tufts this summer but I definitely have a game plan to cut down those loan costs.

Can you provide the link where you got this?

@UCLA MCDB no, it is total cost of attendance (tuition, fees and cost of living)
@bracesforever I’ll do ya even better and type out how I calculated everything, where I pulled my info and what website generator. But you gotta give me a good while to type it out

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For starters, I used the 2019-2020 financial aid manual for Tufts. The link is https://dental.tufts.edu/sites/default/files/pdf/financialAid_manualDMD-DIS_19-20.pdf

**NOTE these numbers are assuming someone has to take out the full amount of loans only using direct subsidized loans & direct GRAD plus loans**

I mainly used three areas of the manual to figure out the total COA:

--Page 7 where it says that the 18-19 interest rate for the direct subsidized loan is 6.7% fixed (keep in mind that this percentage could change every year).
I also used the chart on the bottom of page 7... v important bc there is an annual loan limit

--Page 8 where it says that the 18-19 interest rate for the direct GRAD plus loan is 7.6% fixed (keep in mind that this percentage could change every year).

--Page 18: COA (cost of attendance)
This kinda breaks down the cost. It shows direct costs (tuition & fees) and estimated indirect costs (living expenses, books/supplies, board allowances, direct loan fees)

--Page 19 breaks down the living costs: 2200 a month and I actually missed the fine print underneath that states next year's monthly budget will increase to 2300. So my original screenshot is slightly lower than the full cost someone may take out in loans.

For the loan calculator, I used Student Loan Calculator for One or Multiple Loans – NerdWallet

I liked how it breaks down the loan amounts per year, so it automatically accounts for accrued interest. (less math, yay)
Here is what I inputted:
First year: (118,921)
loan #1 amount --> 44,944 with a 6.6 interest rate
loan #2 amount --> 50,000 with a 7.6 interest rate (It only lets you put a max amount of 50k per loan.. silly calculator)
loan #3 amount --> 23,977 with a 7.6 interest rate
Second year: (119,623)
loan #2 amount --> 50,000 with a 7.6 interest rate
loan #3 amount --> 24,679 with a 7.6 interest rate
Third year: (118,165)
loan #1 amount --> 47,167 with a 6.6 interest rate
loan #3 amount --> 20,998 with a 7.6 interest rate
Fourth year: (108,775)
loan #1 amount --> 40,500 with a 6.6 interest rate
loan #3 amount --> 18,275 with a 7.6 interest rate

result = the screen shot I already posted

These numbers will not be 100% correct. I am sure tuition, fees, etc will change as we progress. But, these are the numbers provided in the manual and they should give a good estimate.

Reactions: 4 users
Thank you so much for doing this! But I want to add this so people will not freak out over these numbers. You guys will be able to refinance your loan after graduation. There are options that you can pay based on what you'll earn, and other options are available as well.
For starters, I used the 2019-2020 financial aid manual for Tufts. The link is https://dental.tufts.edu/sites/default/files/pdf/financialAid_manualDMD-DIS_19-20.pdf

**NOTE these numbers are assuming someone has to take out the full amount of loans only using direct subsidized loans & direct GRAD plus loans**

I mainly used three areas of the manual to figure out the total COA:

--Page 7 where it says that the 18-19 interest rate for the direct subsidized loan is 6.7% fixed (keep in mind that this percentage could change every year).
I also used the chart on the bottom of page 7... v important bc there is an annual loan limit

--Page 8 where it says that the 18-19 interest rate for the direct GRAD plus loan is 7.6% fixed (keep in mind that this percentage could change every year).

--Page 18: COA (cost of attendance)
This kinda breaks down the cost. It shows direct costs (tuition & fees) and estimated indirect costs (living expenses, books/supplies, board allowances, direct loan fees)

--Page 19 breaks down the living costs: 2200 a month and I actually missed the fine print underneath that states next year's monthly budget will increase to 2300. So my original screenshot is slightly lower than the full cost someone may take out in loans.

For the loan calculator, I used Student Loan Calculator for One or Multiple Loans – NerdWallet

I liked how it breaks down the loan amounts per year, so it automatically accounts for accrued interest. (less math, yay)
Here is what I inputted:
First year: (118,921)
loan #2 amount --> 50,000 with a 7.6 interest rate (It only lets you put a max amount of 50k per loan.. silly calculator)
loan #3 amount --> 23,977 with a 7.6 interest rate
Second year: (119,623)
loan #3 amount --> 24,679 with a 7.6 interest rate
Third year: (118,165)
loan #1 amount --> 47,167 with a 6.6 interest rate
loan #3 amount --> 20,998 with a 7.6 interest rate
Fourth year: (108,775)
loan #1 amount --> 40,500 with a 6.6 interest rate
loan #3 amount --> 18,275 with a 7.6 interest rate

result = the screen shot I already posted

These numbers will not be 100% correct. I am sure tuition, fees, etc will change as we progress. But, these are the numbers provided in the manual and they should give a good estimate.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys! I am currently waitlisted at two schools and have yet to get accepted to a dental school this cycle so I am preparing to re-apply. I was just wondering if anyone had some insight on which schools are the most out of state friendly. I think I may have applied to too many out of state unfriendly schools this cycle. Thanks a lot! :)

Hey guys! I am currently waitlisted at two schools and have yet to get accepted to a dental school this cycle so I am preparing to re-apply. I was just wondering if anyone had some insight on which schools are the most out of state friendly. I think I may have applied to too many out of state unfriendly schools this cycle. Thanks a lot! :)
Mostly private schools are out of state friendly. I hear midwestern Arizona gives a lot of interviews to out of state, I might have to apply there next cycle. umich takes 40% of its class as out of state.

Rutgers, Temple, and Maryland come to my mind

Reactions: 1 user
If you’re waitlisted at two schools then def don’t count yourself out. You can get taken off the waitlist or receive more interviews. Cycle is not over yet!

If you’re waitlisted at two schools then def don’t count yourself out. You can get taken off the waitlist or receive more interviews. Cycle is not over yet!

What if we just haven't heard back after our interview!? lol. :( Good doctors have lots of patience or patients? I'm trying...

What if we just haven't heard back after our interview!? lol. :( Good doctors have lots of patience or patients? I'm trying...
I understand how stressful it can be to wait forever with no reply. I was told that Tufts is very behind on verifying the credentials of commited students and sending out the next round of acceptances. Just remember you need patience to get patients

Does anyone know if the admissions office would be open during spring break? Or do they close as well

Does anyone know if the admissions office would be open during spring break? Or do they close as well
Some people have interviews tomorrow on March 7th so I assume the admissions office would have to be open.

Members don't see this ad :)
Spring break? It’s still winter though. I thought spring break was in April.

What is it like to have breaks? I finished my undergraduate work in 2014 and have worked a full-time job since, even throughout my MS program. Looking forward to having more than 1 day off for Christmas.

Just got an email from Tufts. The decision will be released within the next 10 days.

Wait so u guys emailed to check when they released or did they just send that letter to everyone cuz I didn’t get one..

Just an e-mail apologizing for taking so long to get back to us with a decision and that we can expect a decision within the next 10 days. I interviewed on Feb 11.

Does anyone remember what were the percentages of people admitted and denied? I remember he said like 10% got denied?

Does anyone remember what were the percentages of people admitted and denied? I remember he said like 10% got denied?

He said about 5-10% of the people who were interviewed get denied, 5% on hold and 10-15% waitlisted. So there is about 80% chance of getting accepted. Please correct me if I'm wrong though!!!!!!

Just got my email that the decision will be released in the next 10 days.

Just got my email that the decision will be released in the next 10 days.

If you received the same email I did. While paying attention to detail, I realized it says we ‘hope’ to release the decision within 10 days, so really, I feel like I know nothing yet. xD

Reactions: 1 users
If you received the same email I did. While paying attention to detail, I realized it says we ‘hope’ to release the decision within 10 days, so really, I feel like I know nothing yet. xD
Let’s be optimistic!

University of Florida and UNC are very OOS unfriendly

So it seems like a round of acceptances went out on Feb 14th (Deposit deadline of feb 28th) and then another one on Feb 20th (deposit deadline of March 6th). It doesn't seem like there were any other waves of acceptances ever since Feb 20th. Maybe that's why they sent the "interested 10 day notice" email yesterday because they had a better picture as to how their class is looking. I hope they send out something sooner rather than later.

Reactions: 2 users
on a side note, has anyone gotten a confirmation that they received our email about confirming our interest?

I got one of the "are you still interested" emails a month ago. I just received an email that they will not be interviewing me.

Did everyone’s 10 day decision email say they hoped we would be pleased with the news we will have for us? Because if it says that and then we got rejected that’d be depressing

Did everyone’s 10 day decision email say they hoped we would be pleased with the news we will have for us? Because if it says that and then we got rejected that’d be depressing
The new they will have* sorry

Did yours say that? Mine doesn't say they hope I'm pleased with their decision. Yikes...

yes mine did also say they hope I'm pleased with the decision also! What did yours say?

Dang. That breaks me. Mine just says we hope to have your decision within 10 days. Thanks for your patience.

I interviewed Feb 11th. Same day?

Dang. That breaks me. Mine just says we hope to have your decision within 10 days. Thanks for your patience.

I interviewed Feb 11th. Same day?
Did yours also ask to confirm your interest?

Did yours also ask to confirm your interest?

Nope. The entire thing says, we are sorry that it has taken longer to provide a decision than we anticipated. We hope to release a decision within 10 days. Thank you for your patience.

That's essentially it. Rip my dreams. :p

Nope. The entire thing says, we are sorry that it has taken longer to provide a decision than we anticipated. We hope to release a decision within 10 days. Thank you for your patience.

Damn:/ any other acceptances?

None. Haven't heard from a handful of other schools. Maybe next year.

Yes. Don’t worry! Everything will work out!

I interviewed with you on the same day and I got the email like yours. I'm losing hope...

Last edited:
The email that I got:
"We realize that you have been awaiting your decision release longer than we anticipated, and we appreciate your patience. We hope to have your decision released within the next 10 days. Thank you, again, for your patience as we approach the end of this admissions cycle!"

How about you all?

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.