***The Official UNC Class of 2023 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

Status
Not open for further replies.
If anybody has any questions about school life/clinic, feel free to DM me.

Members don't see this ad.

How much summer time do you get if you wanna eventually study for the CBSE?
4 weeks between year 1 abd 2. 4 weeks between 2 and 3. If you're dead set on OMFS I recommend taking it for the first time in August of second year and then again on Feb of second year. Then if you need to take again, Aug of third year.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
4 weeks between year 1 abd 2. 4 weeks between 2 and 3. If you're dead set on OMFS I recommend taking it for the first time in August of second year and then again on Feb of second year. Then if you need to take again, Aug of third year.

Does UNC incorporate somewhat of a medschool curriculum? I know not officially, but do they have some pretty dense BMS that would overlap with CBSE material?

Does UNC incorporate somewhat of a medschool curriculum? I know not officially, but do they have some pretty dense BMS that would overlap with CBSE material?
Not at all. Faculty does a good job of providing the resources and encouraging you to pursue whichever specialty you would like. They by no means stress that they want us to come out as general dentists. That being said, there is a lot of clinic time. The biomed curriculum is not medically based, and you will be teaching yourself a good amount of info that is covered in the NBME.

Just got an email for the last interview date on November 3rd.

Reactions: 3 users
Also got the interview invite yesterday!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think if you don't hear back by now you're most likely rejected, sorry. At least that's what it seemed like from last cycle :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i mean if someone doesn't accepted the interview, there's still a chance. But yeah, this is the last interview day for the cycle.

i mean if someone doesn't accepted the interview, there's still a chance. But yeah, this is the last interview day for the cycle.
Yes, hence "most likely" buddy. But let's be real honest, I doubt people who got the invite will reject UNC...bc it's UNC ;)

Anyone attending the Friday social event on November 2nd before the interview?
I will be there!

Reactions: 2 users
Just got my interview invite yesterday for November 3rd!! I'm planning on going to the social event the night before if anyone else is going!!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
same! I'll be attending the social event also

have any of you found available hotels? seems like everywhere on the list is booked

have any of you found available hotels? seems like everywhere on the list is booked
It's UNC homecoming that same weekend so I imagine trying to find lodging in Chapel Hill will be a nightmare. Definitely an interesting decision on UNC's end not to push interviews to the following weekend.

It's UNC homecoming that same weekend so I imagine trying to find lodging in Chapel Hill will be a nightmare. Definitely an interesting decision on UNC's end not to push interviews to the following weekend.

woooww,

There is a Hampton not far from campus that I have stayed at before that is reasonably priced! I do not believe it is on the list so may have more availability!

There is a Hampton not far from campus that I have stayed at before that is reasonably priced! I do not believe it is on the list so may have more availability!
nope all booked! Did you use Uber when you were there? If so, it'll be easier to find a place that slightly far from campus.

nope all booked! Did you use Uber when you were there? If so, it'll be easier to find a place that slightly far from campus.
Uber and Lyft are pretty good for getting around. There’s a main mall area (Southpoint) that has hotels about 15min from the school. Uber/Lyft is usually about $17 from there.

Uber and Lyft are pretty good for getting around. There’s a main mall area (Southpoint) that has hotels about 15min from the school. Uber/Lyft is usually about $17 from there.

okay cool thanks!!

Yes, hence "most likely" buddy. But let's be real honest, I doubt people who got the invite will reject UNC...bc it's UNC ;)

You’re in luck. I got an invite the other day for 11/3, but I declined because I’ll be in japan. whoops

What are you all wearing to the Friday social? Casual? Dressy?

What are you all wearing to the Friday social? Casual? Dressy?
When I interviewed in September, most people were dressed casually. I wore khakis and a solid colored t-shirt. I'd say look nice but you don't need to wear a button down and tie if you don't want to.

Any current UNC students interview in November? I am interviewing Nov. 3, and I am wondering if my chances are less or the same than those who interviewed in Sept. and Oct. I had to reschedule my Oct. UNC interview as I was interviewing at UCSF.

Any current UNC students interview in November? I am interviewing Nov. 3, and I am wondering if my chances are less or the same than those who interviewed in Sept. and Oct. I had to reschedule my Oct. UNC interview as I was interviewing at UCSF.
I don't think so, UNC doesn't do post-Dec interviews anymore so as long as you got an invite you're good!

Reactions: 1 users
Are you instate or out of state ?

I’m a current D1 and my interview last year was in November pre-December, your chances should be the same. UNC doesn’t do post-December interviews anymore anyway so it shouldn’t be a problem. Good luck!! Maybe I’ll see some of y’all there!

Does anyone know when they send their acceptances? It says 12-1 on the website but someone mentioned it was 12-3 at the interview. And is it by phone or email?

Hello, could anyone tell me about the format of the UNC interview? Please and thank you!

Hello, could anyone tell me about the format of the UNC interview? Please and thank you!
2 open file with faculties and 1 closed file with student, 30 min each. Each one gives a score out of 3 and to get in as OOS I believe you need 9/9.

2 open file with faculties and 1 closed file with student, 30 min each. Each one gives a score out of 3 and to get in as OOS I believe you need 9/9.

I don’t think you NEED a 9/9, I just believe that has been the average the past year or two.

How were the faculty interviews? Question and answer or more conversational? Any prep advice

How were the faculty interviews? Question and answer or more conversational? Any prep advice
For me, the two faculty members each had my application and had highlighted certain things and we just talked about the things they highlighted. Very few questions, more conversational. So it totally depends!

I was wondering if any current students could comment on class camaraderie/social life? I interviewed this past Saturday, and my student interviewer seemed to suggest that students weren't really friends due to the high level of competition. Just wanted to see if this was a common experience. Thank you!

I was wondering if any current students could comment on class camaraderie/social life? I interviewed this past Saturday, and my student interviewer seemed to suggest that students weren't really friends due to the high level of competition. Just wanted to see if this was a common experience. Thank you!
I interviewed on the first interview date, and this was the exact opposite vibe of what I got. At the social, talking to the students on interview day, and doing the student interview, they all said there was this family-like attitude.

I asked my student interviewer if she felt a competitive vibe since they are not P/F. She said not at all and everyone is very helpful. During the student panel, they looked very friendly and mentioned sharing google drives.

I asked my student interviewer if she felt a competitive vibe since they are not P/F. She said not at all and everyone is very helpful. During the student panel, they looked very friendly and mentioned sharing google drives.

Thanks! I definitely got a similar vibe at the social and panel. But I was worried that the one-on-one nature of the interview allowed the student to be more honest or something. Glad to hear others feel differently!

I have found the exact opposite during my time here. The exceptional camaraderie at UNC is one of the reasons that I chose to come here. We do not rank each student as many other schools do (rather you are given your percentile in the class for specializing purposes). I do think that helps take some of the 'edge' off. Regardless of whether someone wants to specialize or not, I don't think that is an issue at all here. Granted, I am speaking mostly from my own class experience. However, from what I have seen, that family-like culture is passed down each year.

Last edited:
Of course, there is always some stress if you want to do really well (that's how school works), but I don't feel that any of that stress comes from a competitive atmosphere at the school.

Not true at all lol. I have an amazing group of friends here I do stuff with all the time.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.