***The Official UNE Class of 2023 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Email with offer at 4:30!! Interviewed November 12th — was my only interview and my third cycle applying as a career-change non-trad. To say I’m thrilled would be the understatement of the century

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Update... I got the call from Dr Kimmes at 12:55 PM! I was out to lunch. (literally)
:highfive:Congrats to all who received phone calls today!
Best wishes to those of you who are waiting.:clap:

Reactions: 1 user
I’m not going here as I got in to my first choice but I think i’m getting ghosted

Members don't see this ad :)
Also got the phone call this morning :) ACCEPTED, FINALLY! :soexcited:

I'm a re-applicant who started this journey a few years ago, so this really means a lot to me, especially considering it's my top choice. So excited!

Reactions: 4 users
I think I might make a fb group for all the class of 2023! Unless there is one already made

Congrats to all those who got in!!! :)

Has anyone heard from UNE today?

Me neither. I wonder if they've given out all the acceptances by now and will give out their other decisions like rejections/waitlists this week as well?

I am wondering the same. Hopefully, we find out by the end of the week or early next week.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone who has been accepted by UNE received an email from them regarding deposit, start date, etc? I am still waiting

Has anyone who has been accepted by UNE received an email from them regarding deposit, start date, etc? I am still waiting

I got the email on the same day I received the call (Monday). One attachment was the acceptance letter from the Dean and the second attachment were instructions on how to pay your deposit. There's no mention of start date though, so maybe those details will come later.

Once we change your status in AADSAS to "Offer Made" it triggers the background check e-mail. You should receive the e-mail from Graduate Admissions which includes the acceptance letter by end of day tomorrow. The first deposit of $500 for those accepted today is due Friday, January 4. Second deposit of $1,500 due Monday, April 1.
If i havent received that email yet, should I hang tight or email someone

Congratulations guys!
-Current D1 at UNE going into finals :dead:

Reactions: 1 users
If i havent received that email yet, should I hang tight or email someone

I think it wouldn't hurt to give them a little nudge considering you want to save that sweet seat! It's a hot commodity :p But you'll have until January 2nd to make the first deposit of $500 that you can pay via online or sending a check via snail mail. I would say give it another business day or two for the email and if they still haven't sent it, then I would hit them up. Up to you though!

Has anyone received a rejection? UNE is my top school and it would be a dream to go here! I received an interview from UNE and an acceptance to another school, but so far I have heard nothing from them since my interview. Just wondering if they have started rejecting or if it just a waiting game.

Did anyone receive any rejections?

At this point I'd rather know whether I am waitlisted or rejected rather than this ghosting.

Hey there, I got my official email this morning. Hopefully you got yours today also.
I did!! Excited to attend here! I am guessing we receive an email regarding start date etc later on

Hey guys, the UNE Class of 2022 made an Instagram that follows us through the semester and the on going years. We hope that it gives you a little insight on what life and school may look like for you if you went to UNE CDM! If you know other pre-dents that would be interested in it, feel free to share!
UNE College of Dental Medicine (@unecdm2022) • Instagram photos and videos

Reactions: 4 users
Accepted!! I got my phone call like ten minutes before my alarm was going to wake me up (West coast) haha so that was kind of awkward.

Accepted!! I got my phone call like ten minutes before my alarm was going to wake me up (West coast) haha so that was kind of awkward.
Congrats!! I cant wait to attend! Did you get the call today?!

Does anyone know when or if they will create a Facebook group?

Congrats!! I cant wait to attend! Did you get the call today?!
I got called on Monday morning. I'm like 80% sure this is the school I will end up attending. Already paid my first deposit! :)

I know that srudents wear professional attire. What does that entail? Dress pants a button up and a tie?

I know that srudents wear professional attire. What does that entail? Dress pants a button up and a tie?
You don't have to wear a button up and tie unless you are in the clinic. On campus you can wear polos, nice sweaters, etc. No t shirt, Jean's, sneakers, open toes shoes, leggings etc etc.

Edit: Its business casual attire

For those of you who have interviewed: when did you receive the supplemental? I sent out my application late(October) and am wondering if they're not interested or haven't gotten to me. Thanks in advance!

For those of you who have interviewed: when did you receive the supplemental? I sent out my application late(October) and am wondering if they're not interested or haven't gotten to me. Thanks in advance!
I got mine September 25th and I think I applied early September or late August

any word on a Facebook group? btw congrats to all those accepted!

Questions for UNE's program

I was recently accepted to UNE and another school on Dec 3. Loved the school and the faculty!!!! I have a lot of questions though to help me make the final decision

I also have questions for you for D1/D2 year?
1) What are your thoughts about pass/fail system? How often do you have tests? Once a week?
2) How are you guys being prepared for the integrated boards? I didn't get a very clear answer about this in my interview!
3) Is D2 mostly sim lab with fewer courses? Correct me if i am wrong please!
4) Other than gross anatomy, do you have to go to the other campus to take any other courses?
4) Do students get to do anything in the oral health clinic in the first two years?

Following are my question for D3/D4 year?
1) Is there a sufficient patient pool for all the students during d3? At any point do we ever have to schedule our own patients?
2) What kind of support is available to students when they are specifically struggling with a particular areas(s) during clinic?
3) How are students matched fro their offsite rotations during D4? I couldn't find any information about it on the website or on sdn in general. If this info is available, please post a link! Where are students matched. I will be coming to dental school with hubby and a 4 yo, so its important for us to know about the 4th year rotation in advance so we can plan ahead of time.

Following are the questions about Portland
1) Also, how is the housing situation in Portland? I couldn't find much options on Trulia (I have not looked else where) but $1500-$2000 for a 2 bedroom condo :(
2) What are the schools like in the area? Good public schools. We are looking to enroll in Kindergarten our young one and wanted to get an idea of public/private schools there?
3) Overall, what's the general vibe in school and clinic at Portland? I am kind of worried about how cold it gets (do you get used to it??) Sorry, I am from Texas- and hubby and daughter are not used to such cold climate!

Also, any thing that you like/dislike about the school?Or information that helped you decide on this school! Sorry about the long questions- my husband and my four yo daughter will be moving with me so I really want to find out the maximum amount of information before the first deposit due date! If you know the answer to any one of the questions, please pm me or post here!

Thank you so much in advance!

1) What are your thoughts about pass/fail system? How often do you have tests? Once a week?
I love the pass/fail system. It takes away a certain level of stress that is not needed when you already have so much. P/F isn't EASY, you still have to work your tail off to pass the class. UNE does now have letter of commendations for every class you take. These are what will set you apart if you want to go into specialties. Every class has different criteria to get the letter and they based the criteria off of how the top 10% did in previous years.
It varies how often we have tests. Sometimes there will be only one or two exams/quizzes and other weeks you will have 4 or 5 (including stimulation skills assessments - aka hand skills and procedures). There was one week where out class petitioned to have an exam moved to the following week where we didn't have much going on and the professor was happy to it, we just needed majority of the class to want it.

2) How are you guys being prepared for the integrated boards? I didn't get a very clear answer about this in my interview!
From what I've heard, the boards are a lot less random material and so far everything we have been told to be familiar with for the boards is very relevant material. Some questions on every exam are set up like the boards with a case and photos. They've also have swapped around some of the material and plan to integrate some board material somehow through 3rd and 4th year where they didn't before. Next semester it seems like we are missing a class and we are assuming its because they will move that class further on into our schooling to help for the boards.

I wouldn't say D2's have MOSTLY sim lab classes, but possibly more hours than the first years. Things are being altered because of the combined boards so once you get to be a D2, I bet things will be more fine tuned than what my D2 year will look like.

4) Other than gross anatomy, do you have to go to the other campus to take any other courses?
Nope

4) Do students get to do anything in the oral health clinic in the first two years?
About a month ago there was an event in Maine called "Dentists who care for ME" and UNE participated in it. We had a free clinic one day and the D1's assisted the D3's. It was a really awesome experience. One of our classes uses the clinics for us to practice on each other so you get familiar where things are and the technology. I know the D2's got to do fillings for the first time over the summer in the clinic. So short answer- yes, definitely.

1) Is there a sufficient patient pool for all the students during d3? At any point do we ever have to schedule our own patients?
I don't have any knowledge about the patient pool but from what I've heard there isn't an issue. The bigger issue is patients not showing up for their appointments which is something you'll run into anywhere. But you definitely don't ever schedule your own patients.

2) What kind of support is available to students when they are specifically struggling with a particular areas(s) during clinic?
Every one gets separated into group practices and your group practice leader will know ALL of your strengths and weaknesses. They won't let you fall behind and if they know you need more practice on Class II amalgam restorations, they're gonna give you extra Class II amalgam restorations.

3) How are students matched fro their offsite rotations during D4? I couldn't find any information about it on the website or on sdn in general. If this info is available, please post a link! Where are students matched. I will be coming to dental school with hubby and a 4 yo, so its important for us to know about the 4th year rotation in advance so we can plan ahead of time.
From what I've heard, you will list your top choices or your top geographical areas of where you want to be and your group practice leaders will take that into consideration in where they place you. They consider a lot of aspects is what one leader told me. If they know your personality will clash with the doctors personality of a certain practice, they won't place you there. I would say the majority of the students seem to have families so you'll make it work.

1) Also, how is the housing situation in Portland? I couldn't find much options on Trulia (I have not looked else where) but $1500-$2000 for a 2 bedroom condo :(
My advice is to not live IN Portland. Plenty married students commute from the surrounding towns, including me. I will say that a condo for 1500 is a good price, in my opinion. You get 1,100 for rent every month so that's only a few hundred bucks that your significant other will have to make up for.

2) What are the schools like in the area? Good public schools. We are looking to enroll in Kindergarten our young one and wanted to get an idea of public/private schools there?
I'm not really sure but one of my peers has his daughters in private school and he seems to like it. No idea where that private school is but I bet you can find reviews online.

3) Overall, what's the general vibe in school and clinic at Portland? I am kind of worried about how cold it gets (do you get used to it??) Sorry, I am from Texas- and hubby and daughter are not used to such cold climate!
I love UNE. Everyone is so helpful and genuinely cares about you getting through these four years with as little torture as possible - I'm referring to classmates, upperclassmen, and your professors. My class and the D2's both made google drives for their classes. We share all of our notes and study guides so our classmates can use them to study for. We also do a lot of group activities. We had a cookout before classes started, bowling, after our last exam of the semester we all went on a ugly christmas sweater bar crawl. And we include significant others in these, so it's a lot of fun. I'm from this area, and you'll never totally be comfortable with how cold it can get, you just get prepared for it. You'll learn that your idea of a winter jacket actually sucks as a winter jacket. You'll get hats, gloves, boots - you'll be good. And honestly, you don't have a lot of time to spend out doors, especially when it's cold out.

I love the pass/fail system. It takes away a certain level of stress that is not needed when you already have so much. P/F isn't EASY, you still have to work your tail off to pass the class. UNE does now have letter of commendations for every class you take. These are what will set you apart if you want to go into specialties. Every class has different criteria to get the letter and they based the criteria off of how the top 10% did in previous years.
It varies how often we have tests. Sometimes there will be only one or two exams/quizzes and other weeks you will have 4 or 5 (including stimulation skills assessments - aka hand skills and procedures). There was one week where out class petitioned to have an exam moved to the following week where we didn't have much going on and the professor was happy to it, we just needed majority of the class to want it.

From what I've heard, the boards are a lot less random material and so far everything we have been told to be familiar with for the boards is very relevant material. Some questions on every exam are set up like the boards with a case and photos. They've also have swapped around some of the material and plan to integrate some board material somehow through 3rd and 4th year where they didn't before. Next semester it seems like we are missing a class and we are assuming its because they will move that class further on into our schooling to help for the boards.

I wouldn't say D2's have MOSTLY sim lab classes, but possibly more hours than the first years. Things are being altered because of the combined boards so once you get to be a D2, I bet things will be more fine tuned than what my D2 year will look like.

Nope

About a month ago there was an event in Maine called "Dentists who care for ME" and UNE participated in it. We had a free clinic one day and the D1's assisted the D3's. It was a really awesome experience. One of our classes uses the clinics for us to practice on each other so you get familiar where things are and the technology. I know the D2's got to do fillings for the first time over the summer in the clinic. So short answer- yes, definitely.

I don't have any knowledge about the patient pool but from what I've heard there isn't an issue. The bigger issue is patients not showing up for their appointments which is something you'll run into anywhere. But you definitely don't ever schedule your own patients.

Every one gets separated into group practices and your group practice leader will know ALL of your strengths and weaknesses. They won't let you fall behind and if they know you need more practice on Class II amalgam restorations, they're gonna give you extra Class II amalgam restorations.

From what I've heard, you will list your top choices or your top geographical areas of where you want to be and your group practice leaders will take that into consideration in where they place you. They consider a lot of aspects is what one leader told me. If they know your personality will clash with the doctors personality of a certain practice, they won't place you there. I would say the majority of the students seem to have families so you'll make it work.

My advice is to not live IN Portland. Plenty married students commute from the surrounding towns, including me. I will say that a condo for 1500 is a good price, in my opinion. You get 1,100 for rent every month so that's only a few hundred bucks that your significant other will have to make up for.

I'm not really sure but one of my peers has his daughters in private school and he seems to like it. No idea where that private school is but I bet you can find reviews online.

I love UNE. Everyone is so helpful and genuinely cares about you getting through these four years with as little torture as possible - I'm referring to classmates, upperclassmen, and your professors. My class and the D2's both made google drives for their classes. We share all of our notes and study guides so our classmates can use them to study for. We also do a lot of group activities. We had a cookout before classes started, bowling, after our last exam of the semester we all went on a ugly christmas sweater bar crawl. And we include significant others in these, so it's a lot of fun. I'm from this area, and you'll never totally be comfortable with how cold it can get, you just get prepared for it. You'll learn that your idea of a winter jacket actually sucks as a winter jacket. You'll get hats, gloves, boots - you'll be good. And honestly, you don't have a lot of time to spend out doors, especially when it's cold out.
Thank you so much for such a detailed reply.

Based on your feedback, what are some of the surrounding areas where students commute from ( where we can look for housing)?
Also, thank you for giving your input on the 4 the year rotations. I will also try to call and ask the school about it after the the christmas break!
Also, forgot to ask but there is not a dedicated library at UNE for dental students (correct me if I am wrong). Where do students usually study???

Does anyone know when they may be sending another round of acceptances?

Edit: Also,will there be many acceptances sent out on a day or is it more of a one at a time /as needed from now forward?

Last edited:
Does anyone think its weird that I haven't heard anything yet since June? The last email I received was after submitting the application fee and nothing since then? My AADSAS status says "Application Complete". Do you think its a sign of a soft rejection? Or am I really still under consideration?

Just worried that I may or may not have forgotten something in the application, or I could just be overthinking it:dead:

Does anyone know when they may be sending another round of acceptances?

Edit: Also,will there be many acceptances sent out on a day or is it more of a one at a time /as needed from now forward?

Next round of decisions will go out late next week. Everyone that interviewed will receive a decision.

Hey Isaac! What about people that have not heard back anything?

Yup you'll hear back something! Everyone that didn't hear back first wave will get an official decision letter next week (accept, waitlist or deny). We wait until the first wave of acceptances are complete before determining how to proceed with any additional acceptances, which also impacts how we decide to shape our waitlist.

Reactions: 2 users
Yup you'll hear back something! Everyone that didn't hear back first wave will get an official decision letter next week (accept, waitlist or deny). We wait until the first wave of acceptances are complete before determining how to proceed with any additional acceptances, which also impacts how we decide to shape our waitlist.
Thank you! However, what about the people who did not even receive an interview yet? Will there be a decision made on their application?

Status
Not open for further replies.