***The Official University of Kentucky Class of 2023 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone received a scholarship offer from UK?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone received a scholarship offer from UK?
No, I was wondering about this. Someone told me that they attach scholarships to your acceptance though. I never got this.

No, I was wondering about this. Someone told me that they attach scholarships to your acceptance though. I never got this.

I feel like, during my interview day, they said that they would show scholarships later.

Members don't see this ad :)
For those who have been accepted, are you planning on going to UK?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Anybody OOS seriously considering attending?

This has been my dream school for so long, but the cost is daunting. I don’t want to be a chump for choosing this over my state school, but I love the student outreach and location at UK, which seems to be lacking at DCG.

This has been my dream school for so long, but the cost is daunting. I don’t want to be a chump for choosing this over my state school, but I love the student outreach and location at UK, which seems to be lacking at DCG.

I’m OOS and am considering UK. I did not get in to my state school yesterday, but even after I interviewed at UK I had it ranked as my top choice. I love their curriculum and location. The cost is very daunting, though, and it is something I’m going to talk over with my family. Either way I will be putting my deposit down because my state school does not give out acceptances until mid-January. Even if I do get in there, I’m not sure if I will attend. Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I’m OOS and am considering UK. I did not get in to my state school yesterday, but even after I interviewed at UK I had it ranked as my top choice. I love their curriculum and location. The cost is very daunting, though, and it is something I’m going to talk over with my family. Either way I will be putting my deposit down because my state school does not give out acceptances until mid-January. Even if I do get in there, I’m not sure if I will attend. Hope this helps!

Thank you for your thoughts! I'm going to be talking with their financial aid and admissions director as well as their counterparts at my state school, so hopefully I can get a clearer picture.

I'm also thinking of choosing UK over DCG, but I get a lot of veterans benefits at UK.

Is there a class of 2023 FB page yet?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone on here that got accepted to UK also get into Louisville? I really love UK and go there now, but UL is offering me a lot more money. Not sure which one to choose.

Anyone on here that got accepted to UK also get into Louisville? I really love UK and go there now, but UL is offering me a lot more money. Not sure which one to choose.
I loved UL and UK so much that getting accepted to both felt like a burden to have to choose but UK ended up offering me a better scholarship than UL and I’m really comfortable with my decision to choose UK. However, if louisville offered me more than UK I’d probably go there. They’re both such great schools that I think you’d be happy at either and if you can graduate as a dentist with less debt at one over the other, I’d probably choose the less debt. But do what you’re most comfortable with!! You want to be happy the next 4 years!! You can also wait a little longer before deciding to see if UK can offer you anymore scholarships! Good luck deciding, I know it’s probably tough but what a good situation to be in at the same time- to have a choice!!! Congratulations!

Did yall get offered scholarships after you accepted your seat?

I think you should honestly go with where you feel like you'd be the happiest. Regardless of cost. You aren't the only OOS applicant to want to attend there and I'm sure the students who made that choice to go are thriving even with the daunting cost. Plus think of all the other students that attend more pricier schools and they're doing just fine!! In addition, I've seen others say not to let cost be the only thing stopping you from attending a school you are very much interested in. People have said they've gone to their state school because of tuition but they later regretted it. I wouldn't want that to be you, especially if you have your heart set on another school. DCG is a great school too, but if you feel like you'd make more of an impact with UK outreach then you have your answer!

You've made it clear that UK has been your dream school but you didn't mention how you felt about DCG other than that it's your state school. It's best if you do some reflecting from your time at both interviews and really try to picture yourself living in each places and where you'd ultimately be the happiest. Life is short and if you have the means to go live in another state and pursue your dream career, I'd say do it!!!

I got $2,000 a year. Not really sure how they go about that lol. He also said we could end up with 3 more scholarships once they get the funding in and decide who meets the criteria!

Did Don Brown call you about this??? I missed a call and now I’m nervous! Haha

Did Don Brown call you about this??? I missed a call and now I’m nervous! Haha

Yes he did! He called yesterday around 2:00 ish CST time. He said he doesn’t know when they will be getting the funding for the other 3 scholarships just FYI.

Are any IS people who were accepted not taking your spot?

Is there dental student housing available on/near campus? Any idea where most of the dental students live? IF there is on campus housing, does anybody know when you have to apply?

Is there a class of 2023 FB page yet?

Is there dental student housing available on/near campus? Any idea where most of the dental students live? IF there is on campus housing, does anybody know when you have to apply?
Hiiii, current UK grad student here! Graduate student housing on campus is really nice, but is incredibly expensive. Plus, you don’t have easy access to your car if you live there. Your car would be in “K lot” which is about a 12 min walk. Additionally, you have to move your car for every game day, which can get a bit annoying! The bonus of the campus living though is that you’re directly across from the school and right next door to the gym! I also think they may even allow 1 pet now......but I could be wrong on that! Also, you should have a while to apply!

I would recommend looking on Zillow or Rent or even craigslist to try to find a place. You’ll usually find someone better and cheaper on one of those! Also if you’re going to consider paying so much for a dorm on campus you could look into The Hub which is a boujee new apartment complex opening just off campus and it seems to be the same price as on campus living lol.

There are also tons of options further out (over 2 miles) from campus too. Some nice areas in lex are: Masterson Station, Beaumont, Hamburg (pretty far tho), tates creek area is usually nice and the Summit (expensive!!!!).

The only area that you usually won’t find any UK students is up on the north side of downtown. Usually considered to be past 3rd street....BUT that area has been going uphill with lots of new renovations! So who really knows. :)

Hope this helps :)

Hiiii, current UK grad student here! Graduate student housing on campus is really nice, but is incredibly expensive. Plus, you don’t have easy access to your car if you live there. Your car would be in “K lot” which is about a 12 min walk. Additionally, you have to move your car for every game day, which can get a bit annoying! The bonus of the campus living though is that you’re directly across from the school and right next door to the gym! I also think they may even allow 1 pet now......but I could be wrong on that! Also, you should have a while to apply!

I would recommend looking on Zillow or Rent or even craigslist to try to find a place. You’ll usually find someone better and cheaper on one of those! Also if you’re going to consider paying so much for a dorm on campus you could look into The Hub which is a boujee new apartment complex opening just off campus and it seems to be the same price as on campus living lol.

There are also tons of options further out (over 2 miles) from campus too. Some nice areas in lex are: Masterson Station, Beaumont, Hamburg (pretty far tho), tates creek area is usually nice and the Summit (expensive!!!!).

The only area that you usually won’t find any UK students is up on the north side of downtown. Usually considered to be past 3rd street....BUT that area has been going uphill with lots of new renovations! So who really knows. :)

Hope this helps :)

This is very helpful. I would love to be next to the gym, or in a building with a gym. I welcome any housing info you have! Thank you for your reply.

I sent my $250 deposit and they told me that they would make a FB group in February, but I’m not opposed to student-run group if anyone wants to start one.
Hey! I’m down to go ahead and make one for us if you all want :)

Reactions: 2 users
Any reason why?
Well UL offered me $10,000 a year while UK only gave me $3,000 per year so that plays a big factor for me. Also, I love UL facilities and the prestige of the school, not to mention Louisville is my hometown. Honestly, both schools are great, but it just came down to financials for me.

Well UL offered me $10,000 a year while UK only gave me $3,000 per year so that plays a big factor for me. Also, I love UL facilities and the prestige of the school, not to mention Louisville is my hometown. Honestly, both schools are great, but it just came down to financials for me.
That's amazing that UL gave you that much. I only got $3000 for UK too

I retract my last statement lol UK called today and offered me the same amount of scholarship money as UL... my decision just got a lot harder haha

Wow. Did UK know that UL was offering you so much? Or did the new UK $ come out of the blue?

Wow. Did UK know that UL was offering you so much? Or did the new UK $ come out of the blue?
Yeah I'm pretty sure they knew and were just trying to match it. I feel kind of bad though because I will probably still choose UL lol but hopefully someone else can get that scholarship money!

Ugh I should have held out on accepting so soon. Maybe they would have thrown me more money lmaoooo

Where do most of the dental students live? Walking distance to campus?

I remember hearing at the interview that most dental students live off campus and drive in, however from looking at the housing near UK, I see some apartments within walking distance. Are those apts for undergrad or graduate students?

My goal is to live walking distance to campus or on campus. How realistic is this at UK?

Where do most of the dental students live? Walking distance to campus?

I remember hearing at the interview that most dental students live off campus and drive in, however from looking at the housing near UK, I see some apartments within walking distance. Are those apts for undergrad or graduate students?

My goal is to live walking distance to campus or on campus. How realistic is this at UK?
There are lots of apartments that are within walking distance to the school. Your best options will be on South Limestone. There are a few apartment complexes mostly for medicsl/health students. They range from like 650-950/month. Limestone Square apartments are popular.
There are also lots of big old houses that are sectioned off into studio units-- not the best living arrangement (super old), but you're paying for location.
Things fill up very fast though, you'll want to find something with 4 months to spare I'd say.

Can anyone tell me what the interview process is like?
Very relaxed. Students will take you on tours and direct you so you can follow your schedule all day. The committee interview is chill too. 3 interviewers ask you about reasonable things on your app. They asked about my lowest grade, my dat, extra curriculars, family, etc.

Has UK created an alternate list and a waitlist already? If not, does anyone know if/when they will?

Has UK created an alternate list and a waitlist already? If not, does anyone know if/when they will?

Last I heard they were creating it once they get responses back from their e mails so they can asses better

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Just got an invite for a January interview....

Status
Not open for further replies.