***The Official UPenn Class of 2023 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

Status
Not open for further replies.
You get an iPad so most classmates got the Apple Pencil. Most people (like 90%) use their iPad to take notes in class so there’s no need to buy a whole separate touchscreen laptop. If you want to buy a laptop just get the MacBook because that’s what the rest use to take notes for the most part. They work great together and that’s what most people have. Obvi there are people that use non Apple products but that’s like 2% of the class.

Thank you for the response! Approximately how big are the iPads? I know they come in many different sizes from the Apple store.

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you for the response! Approximately how big are the iPads? I know they come in many different sizes from the Apple store.
Umm I dont know how big it is. It's not the pro, that I can tell you. It's just that the iPad is more convenient to carry, and there are the keyboard cases that you can buy for them so they double as a really good laptop.

Umm I dont know how big it is. It's not the pro, that I can tell you. It's just that the iPad is more convenient to carry, and there are the keyboard cases that you can buy for them so they double as a really good laptop.

Good to know, thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad :)
For everyone that has been accepted.... how do YOU plan on paying for the next 4 years? I know UPenn gave us some solutions like military, loans, etc. but I am having a hard time choosing between UPenn and my state school.

Reactions: 2 users
For everyone that has been accepted.... how do YOU plan on paying for the next 4 years? I know UPenn gave us some solutions like military, loans, etc. but I am having a hard time choosing between UPenn and my state school.

Well, I’m sure everyone is a bit different...for example, scholarship from Penn that makes it more reasonable, parents that are helping, a combination of both, NHNC, military, and loans.

Last edited:

Personally, I would go to UConn seeing that you’re a CT resident. If you didn’t get a scholarship, the >2x tuition plus fees which are also astronomical cannot be justified imo.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Personally, I would go to UConn seeing that you’re a CT resident. If you didn’t get a scholarship, the >2x tuition plus fees which are also astronomical cannot be justified imo.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

@teethlover_4 Everyone has different methods of paying it off, whether it's having parents helping them pay, doing military, doing academia that includes a 10 year forgiveness program, or through other means. Give me a message and I can give you a different perspective.

Did anyone who received a post-dec acceptance receive any scholarships? I’m deciding if I should attend my interview when I already have a deposit down at a cheaper school.

To those who got accepted, can someone share a copy of Penn Dental Tuition (2019-2020) with me? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone! I'm super excited to be attending Penn in the fall! I'm in the market for a new laptop, since my current one isn't functioning properly. Ms. Cacas told me we can get any computer brand as there is no technology requirement. I currently have a MacBook Air and am used to the way they work, but I don't take notes on my computer in undergrad... I usually print out the lecture slides and handwrite notes during class. However, this probably isn't too doable in dental school, because we take so many more classes. For any current dental students, do you think it'd be best to buy a laptop that is touchscreen where I can handwrite notes on it via a surface pen and also type on it (but have to learn a new operating system, i.e. Microsoft), or to buy an Apple pen and take notes on the iPads they give us (although I'm not sure how large those iPads are or if that's allowed).

Hopefully that made sense! Thank you :)
Definitely an apple pencil. Also download notability (trust me it’s better than one note but that’s a different discussion). Everyone imports the powerpoints into notability and then takes notes on their iPad with an apple pencil.

Reactions: 1 users
hi everybody. my interview is coming up in 2 weeks and i would really appreciate any tips or comments!
thank you :)

Reactions: 1 user
Any hotel recommendations? I am interviewing Friday and forgot to book something till right now oops

Any hotel recommendations? I am interviewing Friday and forgot to book something till right now oops
AirBnB!!! It's the much cheaper option from my own experience. I just found something within 10 min walking distance to UPenn. :)

hi everybody. my interview is coming up in 2 weeks and i would really appreciate any tips or comments!
thank you :)

Congrats! I know you have heard this before...but, be yourself, relax, and have several good questions to ask. The interview process was very relaxed and enjoyable.

Are they still sending interviews?

Hey guys :) Just a reminder to join the facebook page if you haven't already!

Also, I've had a number of people message me asking about waitlist status. Unfortunately, I have no idea how the waitlist works/how full the class is (although I know it's still not full yet!). Your best bet is to contact Corky directly and continue to express your interest. See you all in the fall!

Can you get rejected after an interview? It seems like everyone gets waitlisted if they are not accepted after an interview.

Looking for advice and your input please...
I got into Penn after I put down my deposit down at my state school. The cost of attendance difference is almost double for Penn. If any of you were in a similar situation and chose Penn over your state school or vice versa, why did you make that choice? thanks!

After looking at the logistics (and multiple headaches later) I decided to commit to my state school. Making it official today!

I got into Penn after I put down my deposit down at my state school. The cost of attendance difference is almost double for Penn. If any of you were in a similar situation and chose Penn over your state school or vice versa, why did you make that choice? thanks!
Everyone will have a million different opinions on the matter. At the end of the day, you have to decide for yourself what suits your best interest.

I can tell you that if you want to do general dentistry, it's probably in your interest to go to your state school. Your state school will make you into a great general dentist for half the price. However, if you are adamant on specializing, Penn does open doors to a lot of opportunities.

I don't plan on paying for it lol. I can't justify the price, go to your cheapest option unless you're military or full scholarship or someone can pay for it all. That's the advice I've got many times over from past dentists and I'm following that advice.

I don't plan on paying for it lol. I can't justify the price, go to your cheapest option unless you're military or full scholarship or someone can pay for it all. That's the advice I've got many times over from past dentists and I'm following that advice.
I agree with @Ms.2:30. I think it is best to turn it down if you are completely on your own and your parents cannot help a single bit, unless you have HPSP/NHSC. PM me: I'm interested in what your state school is?

Check out this thread: How to pay off debt & handle money

Just got an interview!

Just got an interview!

Congrats. I am curious, what dates are still available and did they say that it was the last interview of the cycle or something,. Was the interview invite sent by email or phone? Are you gonna attend the interview?

Thanks.

Congrats. I am curious, what dates are still available and did they say that it was the last interview of the cycle or something,. Was the interview invite sent by email or phone? Are you gonna attend the interview?

Thanks.

It was an email! I haven’t called to schedule an appointment yet but the email stated that spots won’t be filled till mid-march.

It was an email! I haven’t called to schedule an appointment yet but the email stated that spots won’t be filled till mid-march.

Thank you a lot, this gives me tiny hope. Best of luck.

Declined my interview offer. Best of luck to those still in the running!

I submitted in August and interviewed mid December, have not heard any news yet. It’s been two months and I want to know is this normal for those who interviewed? Is there anything I can do to help my case or just wait :/

I read from another thread that someone got scholarships for 75k a year for UPenn. How many people get that? What do they base off of to award people? Need base? Good credentials?

That would be @TotobyAfrica
Toto do you have any more info on the scholarship you received? Do you know what their critieria for evaluating applicants is since you got so much $$$?

I read from another thread that someone got scholarships for 75k a year for UPenn. How many people get that? What do they base off of to award people? Need base? Good credentials?
It’s probably fake and if it’s true, it’s URM based

Scholarships are more than URM. In our clas there are about 8 people that would count as URM and over 50 people got a scholarship. Also, a lot of people are also military so a good portion of our class has some sort of aid. Basically if you don’t get a scholarship they just didn’t want to give it to you. Also, it’s not based on your finincial status because when you apply they don’t have your FAFSA information or your parents information.

Well my application status just changed to "Received/Under Review"

Mine too. But still did not hear back about an interview or denied without interview
lol I'm expecting a rejection letter in the mail soon. I feel like it's too late for an interview! BUT if it does end up being an interview then that would be really cool!

Declined my offer (no scholarship), and attending my state dental school. Good luck to those waiting to hear back!

Status
Not open for further replies.