***The Official USC Class of 2022 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, why is there so much negativity about USC in past threads? Anyone have any positive information ha ha ha
Cost and PBL

Members don't see this ad.

Invited to interview on 1/11, but will be declining. Best of luck in Post-Dec interviews!

My stats:
OR Resident
oGPA: 3.9 / sGPA: 3.8
22 AA / 22 TS / 20 PAT

Members don't see this ad :)
I also just received an interview invitation today (1/11) for every Wednesday from 1/31-2/22! Does anyone have insight on the interview? People told me it's a group interview with PBL-style scenerios. How do you prepare for these?

Residency- CA (UCSB undergrad)
GPA- 3.65 overall
DAT- AA 24 TS 24 PAT 23

Congrats on getting an interview! It is one of the most relaxing dental school interviews out there. You can't really prepare for it honestly.

1. It starts off with a one-hour introduction to the school/program, then you break into two groups.
2. During the group session, they pass around a basket with ice-breaker type of questions (What was a recent movie you watched and would recommend to others and why... If your house was on fire and you could only grab three items, what would they be and why... etc.). There are so many questions, and everyone picks a different one (two questions each).
3. Then you do a short PBL case together to see how you work with other people.
4. The case is followed by a short 15-minute writing sample (not everyone gets the same question, and again, it's a similar question to the basket questions).
5. Lunch is provided and you eat with some current students, so you can ask questions.
6. The last session is an overview of financial aid.
7. Then there is a tour of the dental school by current students.

You should be done between 2:30-3:00

Reactions: 7 users
Congrats on getting an interview! It is one of the most relaxing dental school interviews out there. You can't really prepare for it honestly.

1. It starts off with a one-hour introduction to the school/program, then you break into two groups.
2. During the group session, they pass around a basket with ice-breaker type of questions (What was a recent movie you watched and would recommend to others and why... If your house was on fire and you could only grab three items, what would they be and why... etc.). There are so many questions, and everyone picks a different one (two questions each).
3. Then you do a short PBL case together to see how you work with other people.
4. The case is followed by a short 15-minute writing sample (not everyone gets the same question, and again, it's a similar question to the basket questions).
5. Lunch is provided and you eat with some current students, so you can ask questions.
6. The last session is an overview of financial aid.
7. Then there is a tour of the dental school by current students.

You should be done between 2:30-3:00
So the group session is the interview?

So the group session is the interview?

Yes, there are two admission's personnel per group who send the basket of questions around and guide you through the mini PBL case.

Reactions: 1 users
Any activity for ppl on waitlist?

Since they do interviews through the end of March, I don't think anyone on the waitlist will hear anything until starting in April. It takes a long time to fill up a class of 144 students, so people can still get off the waitlist in August.

Would anyone be able to provide hotel recommendations?? Something that’s affordable and in a safe neighborhood. I don’t know LA area that well so it’d be great if someone could help! And preferably a hotel that’s not super far away because I don’t wanna get stuck in traffic the morning of interview haha

Would anyone be able to provide hotel recommendations?? Something that’s affordable and in a safe neighborhood. I don’t know LA area that well so it’d be great if someone could help! And preferably a hotel that’s not super far away because I don’t wanna get stuck in traffic the morning of interview haha
Try using hotwire.com They have "hot rates" and were usually cheaper than the recommended options given by the school. Just be sure to have the correct area.

Google "hotels near USC" and it should show you all the hotels with pricing. Anywhere close to the campus should be "safe". There's 2 within walking distance to the dental school for $108 and $166. You can also try AirBnb, some as low as $30-40/night (didn't check min. # of days).

If you're driving, use Waze. There's plenty of Ubers/Lyfts around the school... Price surge by the time the interview ends, but not always.

Members don't see this ad :)

I stayed downtown at the Westin, but there are definitely hotels closer to campus. I rented a car from LAX and did not expect traffic to be so bad at 3pm and almost missed my flight back (took 1.5 hrs from campus), so be sure to give yourself plenty of time to get back to LAX. I also drove to campus the day of the interview (took 15 mins from downtown), parking is $12 at the Royal Parking Structure and then about a 7-8 min walk to the dental school from the parking lot.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anybody know how we can get an evaluation of our application?

Quick question for 2/7 interview,for my documents is it okay if we type them?also should we bring all the papers like even the parts where its reading or we just need to bring the signature part
Thanks

Quick question for 2/7 interview,for my documents is it okay if we type them?also should we bring all the papers like even the parts where its reading or we just need to bring the signature part
Thanks

You can type up your responses. I just printed the parts where I had to sign and turn in. Don't forget your 2x2.

Hey guys! Any idea if they're sending out acceptances today?

Anyone hear anything ? Based on last year’s thread there was a batch sent feb 2.

I received an interview invite yesterday morning. I was somewhat surprised by the email since I applied VERY late.

Hello, if you don't mind me asking what date did you apply? And when did you submit your application processing fee?

Hello, if you don't mind me asking what date did you apply? And when did you submit your application processing fee?

I applied on December 1st and submitted the payment a couple days after.

Thanks

It's better to type up your applicant profile because it looks more professional. You don't need to bring any extra documents. You will get a folder with more documents on the day of your interview. Good luck!

what classifies as a "special interest"? on the one document USC requires at the interview

Has anyone tried rescheduling their interview date after it's been made? I was offered an interview by Touro on their last day of interview which is exactly the same day I have an interview with USC. USC email says they can't accommodate rescheduling. Do they really stick to this policy?

what classifies as a "special interest"? on the one document USC requires at the interview

There are no right or wrong answers. Just write anything down that is interesting to you, if you haven't already mentioned it already in your other answers (i.e. when I have more time in the future, I would like to travel to South America because..., or use the space to write something that you're interested in doing/participating in at USC, etc.)

Just got an interview invitation :)

International - 3.83 GPA
I applied early in the cycle so I assumed they forgot about me!

If there are any current students in this thread, could you please PM me. I have some questions about the school.

Just got invited to interview!

International as well, 3.81 GPA, applied June 1.

Any tips on interviewing would be greatly appreciated!

Can anyone comment on the writing sample? Were the topics asked difficult? Also, is it typed or handwritten? Can you use resources?

Super nervous for interview tomorrow. Out of state and reallyyyy want to get in here :(

Super nervous for interview tomorrow. Out of state and reallyyyy want to get in here :(
Don't be nervous! The interview here was super relaxed and I truly loved it. You'll have a great time, just be yourself.

Can anyone comment on the writing sample? Were the topics asked difficult? Also, is it typed or handwritten? Can you use resources?

You only get 15 mins for the writing sample. It is handwritten, and you only get about 2/3 of the page to write it. DO NOT write on the back of the page as per the instructions (read them!). The questions have to do with your opinion/interests/experiences, so no resources needed. I honestly don't remember all the different writing prompts, I just know that I happened to have an interesting one... "if you could have a meeting with POTUS what would you say and why" (and this was right after Trump got elected, lol), but another person had something like "what is something interesting you learned about yourself this year." The writing prompt is only a tiny little portion of your application, don't let it intimidate you.

Just declined my interview & withdraw my application. Goodluck to one of you ppl on the waitlist and those who are waiting for the interview!

Just withdrew my application & seat. Goodluck you guys, I know someone amazing deserves the opportunity. <3

Reactions: 4 users
Got an interview; surprising since I applied late into the cycle.

I will say I have only heard/read bad things about the school because of the PBL style of teaching.

I also received an interview, will be declining. Since already decided on a school.

This was one of my really far reach schools.

I will say I have only heard/read bad things about the school because of the PBL style of teaching.

Don’t believe everything you read/heard... I had my interview and talked to current students and they seem to really disprove a lot of the things previously said... however... I take everything with a grain of salt.

As for PBL, you really either love it or hate it I feel based off the interview. At the interview you do a mock PBL and really get a sense of whether you can see yourself doing it/excelling from it.

I am a student at USC and I like the PBL system. I also like lectures, but I have grown to really like PBL, especially when the cases get more complex and involve multiple organ systems and systemic diseases like most patients in real life will have. PBL is not for everyone. You can't be shy, you need to work well in groups, and you need to be very independent and organized, especially when it comes to studying the material because there are no professors to spoon feed the information to you. Also, the Class of 2022 will be the first class to take the new Integrated National Board Dental Examination, which is all case-based questions like PBL, so you will be at a huge advantage if you learn by the PBL method. In any case, I tell everyone that it doesn't matter where you end up for school because if you have the passion and the motivation, you will learn what you need to learn, and you will excel.

Reactions: 5 users
So Last time I spoke with the admission, I was told that another batch of acceptance from both new interviews and waitlisted students will be going out in February. Has anyone heard anything?

Reactions: 3 users
So Last time I spoke with the admission, I was told that another batch of acceptance from both new interviews and waitlisted students will be going out in February. Has anyone heard anything?
No -___-

the class cant be half full, they've only sent out one round of 50 acceptances for 144 spots. i doubt every single one of those people placed a deposit.

Even if it is half full which I'm not too sure if that is an accurate stats, there will be still 72 spots open. So the odds are not too bad fingers crossed. Best of luck

Even if it is half full which I'm not too sure if that is an accurate stats, there will be still 72 spots open. So the odds are not too bad fingers crossed. Best of luck
Everyone who interviews waitlisted. 25 ish ppl every interview date. They interview twice sometimes once a week. There is like 400 ppl on the waitlist lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.