*** The OFFICIAL USMC-TO-DOC thread ***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've been posting for a year, and just saw this thread.

Me:
1992 MCRD San Diego
1993-1995 El Toro MCAS
1995-1998 MSG Bn (Athens,Tokyo,Tegucigalpa)
1998-2002 University of Texas
2002-2006 Texas A&M College of Medicine
Currently - First year pathology resident.

For the previous poster, it will be tough, but there are enough loans out there to get you and your family through medical school. If your wife isn't working it will be hard to get affordable insurance. My wife was at a job without benefits for 2 years in medical school, and we paid $300/month for her health insurance. I signed up with the local VA. I would question whether you really need post-bac work. What was your GPA? As long as it is above 3.0, some schools will look at your application, especially if you score well on the MCAT. Also, I "moonlighted" as a Kaplan instructor during med school and can definitively tell you that college courses aren't particularly good preparation for the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all,

I just ran across this thread and it is motivating the heck out of me. I am hoping to do the Navy HPSP thing and serve with the Marines again.

USNA 2000
1st Intel Bn
OIF II
OIF III
Post-bacc pre-med UVM
Accepted UVMCOM class of 2011

My closest friend here in VT, a former LAR Sgt, is going to Yale PA school next year--I have to get him to post too.

Bubblehead-2-MD, any chance you are married to a twin?

S/F,
FNU LNU

I just ran across this forum as well. A little about myself:

Parris Island, 3046, L Co
School of Infantry,
3d Bn 5th Marines
- TF Wildfire
- 31st MEU (2002)
- Iraq, OIF I (Jan - May 2003)
1st Bn 1st Marines
- Iraq, OIF 3-7, with another deployment on the horizon.

My family and I are at a major crossroads in our lives. I've decided that I would like to pursue medicine. My wife is a bit apprehensive, as I am the sole provider. We have a baby on the way. My EAS is in June of 2009 and I will be 29 years old. At that point, I will probably have to do some post-bac studies to boost my GPA as well as help out on the MCAT. Some of my peers think I'm crazy as I have "missed my window" and I am "too old" but I tend to believe if there is the will, you can take the hill. My only concern is, I plan on going through the military (Navy) to get my M.D. and will most likely go until retirement, however, I'm trying to wargame how to provide a living, tackle school, and keep my family insured medically for those post-bac semesters. Any takers?

I apologize if these questions are answered in another thread or forum. I am still researching. I tell my wife that there are plenty of grants, scholarships and loans for us military types, especially OIF veterans. A penny for your thoughts.

DISCLAIMER: I am not busting down on Navy Medicine and I applaud and support anybody who wants to serve our country and our Marines as a Navy physician...OK?

If you're just looking at the HPSP because you think you can't afford medical school and being poor for four years, don't do it. First of all, even though the Navy will pay for your tuition and you'll avoid that debt, unless you plan on a career in Family Medicine or Pediatrics you will come out way ahead in the end because, and I have run the numbers, your real compensation as a residency trained physician in the Navy in a typical specialty (counting your BAS and VHA or whatever they call it now) with all of the incentive and special pay will still only be in the upper $90,000. Hospitalists (internal medicine) start after residency in the 160s to 180s. Emergency Physicians after only a three-year residency start in the low 200s.

You will owe five years post-residency and you run the risk of being asigned as a GMO after you graduate medical school where you wil end up being sent to the fleet as Battalion Surgeon without any additional training at all. In other words, you may have to defer residency training for the majority of your contractually obligated service. You will have no problem getting a civilian residency once you get out, you understand, but you will not get any of the specialty pay when you are a GMO.

And you will still be poor in medical school because the stipend is only $1300 per month and this may come out of the money you can borrow above the cost of attendance for living expenses. In other words, I was able to borrow about $19,000 a year extra for living expenses. You won't be able to borrow any additional because the financial aid office may look at your stipend as your living expenses after which none is required.

The point of medical school with a spouse and a family (I have four kid, three when I was in medical school) is to just get by. The extra 60K you'll borrow for living expenses, in the long run, is chump change and just the cost of being a doctor, especially if you match into a lucrative specialty. In other words, don't fear the debt. I consolidated most of mine at a ridiculously low interest rate and once I am an attending, paying it back won't be too much of a burden. (If you gross $20,000 a month, what's $1000?).

The Navy will pay you more if you get a Navy residency, which is an advantage, but like I said, in the long run, say after ten years, you will be way ahead in private practice if you just suck it up a little now. No question you will have to suck it up. We are sucking big time right now and just barely keeping the wolves from the door but in two years we will be free and clear with no obligation to anybody and free to look for the best offer possible.

If you want to Go Navy, I say eschew the HPSP, suck it up and borrow money for medical school like everybody else, and then, if after four years you are still hot for it (which you may not be) do the Financial Assistance Program) where you match into a civilian residency, owe no miltary obligation for the length of your trainig, will get a stipend that will double your residency salary (about $40K a year from the Navy added to your $40K from residency) and, most importantly, you only will owe service for the length of time you accepted the stipend plus one year. If you matched into Family Medicine, for example, which is a three year residency, you will only owe four years.

At this stage, you don't know jack about medicine, what you want to do, and what you will like. I see you have deployed quite a few times and no doubt your lovely and long-suffering wife is sick of it. She may not be so keen to have you deploying all of the time five or six years from now when you are a brand new GMO assigned to the MEU and she has gotten used to having you at home all the time.

Bottom line: Don't panic and shoot your bolt. The debt is nothing to be afraid of. (It's the struggle through residency that will suck.)

Members don't see this ad :)
Kind of a bump.

Great post Panda. For Praetorian...Panda gave great advice. That is pretty much what happened with me. I had always figured on going with the HPSP. I started med school at age 27 with a wife and brand new baby. I had even contacted the recruiter, but then I decided there was no rush. I looked at the residency FAP program and thought it looked like a better deal if I still felt so inclined at that time. It's not that you lose your desire to serve. In fact, having been deployed to Iraq actually made me want to more. It's just as you really start to put a lot of work into your education, and not getting any younger, the thought of serving at the bottom of a military totem pole gets a lot less desirable. Also, if you go all the way through and don't want to go active in the military, there is a reserve program for health professionals that will pay up to 50 thousand of loans in exchange for a reserve contract. At that point, you could probably volunteer for as much or as little as you wanted in the way of deployments. Good luck. Plenty of people in my class as old or older than you and me.

Gents, get on your faces...

Who is taking the MCAT soon? I'm taking it May 31st, and I'm in the middle of finals right now...

The last 2 months have been so hectic that I haven't even been able to study for the MCAT at all. So, I'll be studying from May 8th until May 31st, then I start summer semester on June 1st...

That particular semester ends on June 28th, and I'm probably going to retake the MCAT on Aug 14th...

So, that's what I'm looking at right now, what about you guys?

I'm kind of worried because I'm hearing all of these people talk about their studying for 3 solid months, which I don't have...

I take the MCAT August 9th, I plan to take a week off from this semester and relax and then hit it hard all summer. I am going to pound it for five days, one review day then 7th will be rest.

san deigo 95
SOI "ALFATRAZ" 0311
Hawaii 2/3 Echo Company
Undergraduate BS 2003
Graduate MEd 2006
Taking MCAT in May
Applying for 2008

Married 8 years, one kid on the ground, one kid in the oven
basically
hs/deigo/pendleton/hawaii/pendleton/college/teaching/college/Hopefully MEDSCHOOL!

I'm kind of worried because I'm hearing all of these people talk about their studying for 3 solid months, which I don't have...

IMO, the MCAT is the hardest test you'll take on the way to being a doctor. Prepare accordingly.

I just ran across this forum as well. A little about myself:

Parris Island, 3046, L Co
School of Infantry,
3d Bn 5th Marines
- TF Wildfire
- 31st MEU (2002)
- Iraq, OIF I (Jan - May 2003)
1st Bn 1st Marines
- Iraq, OIF 3-7, with another deployment on the horizon.

My family and I are at a major crossroads in our lives. I've decided that I would like to pursue medicine. My wife is a bit apprehensive, as I am the sole provider. We have a baby on the way. My EAS is in June of 2009 and I will be 29 years old. At that point, I will probably have to do some post-bac studies to boost my GPA as well as help out on the MCAT. Some of my peers think I'm crazy as I have "missed my window" and I am "too old" but I tend to believe if there is the will, you can take the hill. My only concern is, I plan on going through the military (Navy) to get my M.D. and will most likely go until retirement, however, I'm trying to wargame how to provide a living, tackle school, and keep my family insured medically for those post-bac semesters. Any takers?

I apologize if these questions are answered in another thread or forum. I am still researching. I tell my wife that there are plenty of grants, scholarships and loans for us military types, especially OIF veterans. A penny for your thoughts.

DISCLAIMER: I am not busting down on Navy Medicine and I applaud and support anybody who wants to serve our country and our Marines as a Navy physician...OK?

Words of Wisdom from Panda Bear.....
I would like to back up Panda's words with my own experience. Keeping in mind that your mileage may vary....

I'm about to start my MS3 year, and when I came into med school, I would have thought that Emergency Medicine was my bag. Or maybe Orthopaedic surgery. And truthfully, my mind may still change after my first clinical year. I've spent the better part of two years looking into a bunch of different specialties: Ortho, General Surgery, Internal Medicine, ENT, Trauma surgery, Hand Surgery, Plastics, etc. You get the picture. And what specialty do I keep coming back to over and over?

Neurosurgery.

It's the one specialty that I can't shake. It's endlessly fascinating and I love the clinical problems involved. Competition is pretty stiff to get in - there are ~150 spots nationwide. The training is no joke either - seven years long.

Why am I telling y'all this?

One, I had absolutely no idea that I would even think about this specialty. Would have laughed in your face if you'd have suggested it to me.

Two, if I had joined HPSP when I got here, and I strongly considered it, I would be looking at the following scenario: competing for 1-2 total spots (in the Navy, similar numbers for the Army and Air Force) in Neurosurgery.

Of course, what could happen is that instead of getting a NS slot, I'm told that I have to "earn" such a spot by doing a GMO tour for 2-4 years. Plus, if they DID give me a NS slot after a GMO tour, then that's 7+2-4 = 9-11 years committment in exchange for four years of education. And FYI, private practice neurosurgeons typically start at $400-500K per year.

So don't make any hasty decisions. The loans they do suck, but you and your family can do it.

Good luck to you guys with the MCAT. Don't slack off on studying for this thing.

Cheers!

Hello all, new to the forum and just saw this thread and thought I would post and get some feedback on my med school chances First-

Me: Parris Island, Sep '99, then 0352 (Tow Gunner) in the Reserves, later 2111 (Armorer). Just got out Nov '06, after two deployments (one to South America, one to Iraq), and a year on recruiting duty (I did a LOT of ADSW).
School: Yale Bio grad '06 (Bio major), GPA- not so hot
Extra-curriculars: Varsity athlete then Assistant Coach @ Yale, Production Officer for Theater Organization. Did insane amounts of volunteer work in high school but not a lot in college.
MCATs- taking in August
Currently: Working as a Clinical Neuropsychiatric Research Assistant on a several research studies. Also in the middle of writing 1-2 papers analyzing fMRI data of psych disorders (PTSD, substance abuse).

Oh, and I'm 28.

My GPA is not great. I graduated, but it was not easy by any means. I know I have to do quite well on the MCATS to stand any chance. Any advice for this former devil who wants to be a doc?

Keep pressing on and let nothing get in your way brother, if you want to be a physician you will, unless you have a terrible criminal record.

Hello all,

I just ran across this thread and it is motivating the heck out of me. I am hoping to do the Navy HPSP thing and serve with the Marines again.

USNA 2000
1st Intel Bn
OIF II
OIF III
Post-bacc pre-med UVM
Accepted UVMCOM class of 2011

My closest friend here in VT, a former LAR Sgt, is going to Yale PA school next year--I have to get him to post too.

Bubblehead-2-MD, any chance you are married to a twin?

S/F,
FNU LNU

As I said in another thread, you know exactly who I am!

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I dont have a lot of time but wanted to start getting some help.

I am Currently in the Marine Corps and have been for the last 5 years. I have three years left and have found the true calling that I have been hearing for quite a while. I want to start knocking some of my pre-med out of the way. Any suggestions on classes or on steps that I need to take now. Help would be great.

Thanks for the help..

Jeffrey

Whaddup moto?

So, tell me, how are you not deployed right now? Whats ur MOS? Where are you stationed?

Well, I would highly recommend you check out what the physician assistant route has to offer....far less training and you could be making a nice salary in 6 fast years rather than 12 years. Check out ortholpedics, possibly the coolest specialty in all of medicine...ortho PA's do very well. There are many other areas that do very well too.

Having said that, if you still find that medical school is truly what you want to pursue, your path will start off the same so you can always change your mind later. I would recommend getting all the college math and english reqs out of the way (you'll need 1 full year of calculus) this should be enough to get you started....I'm assuming you have no college background, is this the case?

JMC

Well I dont have a lot of time but wanted to start getting some help.

I am Currently in the Marine Corps and have been for the last 5 years. I have three years left and have found the true calling that I have been hearing for quite a while. I want to start knocking some of my pre-med out of the way. Any suggestions on classes or on steps that I need to take now. Help would be great.

Thanks for the help..

Jeffrey

*MCRD San Diego Jan. 2002
*SOI April 2002 0351
1/1 Charlie Company 2002-2006
Deployments to:
Iraq x 2
Tsunami relief effort
Lat moved to
6113 Ch-53 Mechanic

I want to get in to emergency medicine from a lot of my past history of being in the war. I felt helpless watching my friends die in front of me. I want to be able to give something back to the families that come during their time of need with their loved ones and have the knowledge and ability to help and make a difference in someone’s life. It is very humbling to know that someone is entrusting their entire care in someone that they have never met when they are the most vulnerable. I know that this is what I want to do and I have become extremely determined to become an Emergency Medicine Physician.

*MCRD San Diego Jan. 2002
*SOI April 2002 0351
1/1 Charlie Company 2002-2006
Deployments to:
Iraq x 2
Tsunami relief effort
Lat moved to
6113 Ch-53 Mechanic

I want to get in to emergency medicine from a lot of my past history of being in the war. I felt helpless watching my friends die in front of me. I want to be able to give something back to the families that come during their time of need with their loved ones and have the knowledge and ability to help and make a difference in someone’s life. It is very humbling to know that someone is entrusting their entire care in someone that they have never met when they are the most vulnerable. I know that this is what I want to do and I have become extremely determined to become an Emergency Medicine Physician.

Well I certainly can appreciate your motives for wanting to go into medicine. The road is a long and arduous one, but you seem determined....and I suppose that's all it takes.

I still stand by my previous advice....knock out college math (algebra and calculus) if you can and possibly some English classes, you'll need one full year of English.

Best of luck to you and feel free to drop by anytime....there are many others that lurk here who may be inclined to give their two cents from time to time.

Stay Motivated!

JMC

Well I certainly can appreciate your motives for wanting to go into medicine. The road is a long and arduous one, but you seem determined....and I suppose that's all it takes.

I still stand by my previous advice....knock out college math (algebra and calculus) if you can and possibly some English classes, you'll need one full year of English.

Best of luck to you and feel free to drop by anytime....there are many others that lurk here who may be inclined to give their two cents from time to time.

Stay Motivated!

JMC
What you said....It's a long road but the journey is worth it.

BTW, I am beginning Third Year on OB/Gyn, JMC. Hoo-haa!

San Diego boot camp, plt 1118, 1969
Comm school, San Diego
2nd ANGLICO, Camp Lejeune, NC
paratrooper, Forward Observer
Called in Naval gunfire and air strikes for the Army and allied armies

Nursing school- 1973-76
CRNA school 1976-78
Employed 10 yrs as CRNA

Pre-med 1987-89
Med Coll of Wisc 1989-93
Anesth residency - Mayo Clinic 1993-97
Staff anesthesiologist Mayo Clinic 1997 to present

Long path, slow learner, I guess :)

Comm school, San Diego

Nursing school- 1973-76
CRNA school 1976-78
Employed 10 yrs as CRNA

Pre-med 1987-89
Med Coll of Wisc 1989-93

YUT YUT!

<-- slow learner here too. Damn, dejavu, you are salty!

Glad you stopped by...you motivate me.

Semper Fi

Just got out of the "reserves" in January as a Sgt. (boot camp SD in 2001, Delta co.). Deployed twice to Iraq as an embarker (0431) and enjoyed my time in enough to try and be a Navy doc. Actually the reason I want to do medicine is because during my first deployment I spent time guarding a hospital in An Nasiriyah and the way the corpsmen and the doctors worked with the little they had was pretty motivating. So I took my MCAT in July and it is no joke and I studied for a month and a half pretty hard core. Did well (32Q) but when I left I thought I did terrible, so do not get down if you feel the same way. Also, my pre-med adviser said that I should have a shot at nearly any school (including Duke, my dream) because of my service and demonstration of commitment and my GPA is only a 3.49. In other words we have experienced it all and admission committees recognize it. Great to see this type of forum!

good early morning gents

got out this past april...stationed at nmcp, 2/6 marines, 3/5 marines, nhsd...made my humps to and from and back and forth to the sandbox and excited as ever to have that behind me...still nothing beats knowing that the guy whose hugging his wife, kids, or family is able to because of something you did...i guess thats why we are all still persuing medicine...

any tips for a guy getting back to school? and how much will my experience as a "doc" help for my admission into med school? thanks alot for everything ya'll did and continue to do...

anthony hartsock
"...not on my watch..."

good early morning gents

got out this past april...stationed at nmcp, 2/6 marines, 3/5 marines, nhsd...made my humps to and from and back and forth to the sandbox and excited as ever to have that behind me...still nothing beats knowing that the guy whose hugging his wife, kids, or family is able to because of something you did...i guess thats why we are all still persuing medicine...

any tips for a guy getting back to school? and how much will my experience as a "doc" help for my admission into med school? thanks alot for everything ya'll did and continue to do...

anthony hartsock
"...not on my watch..."

Its good to have you here Doc, welcome. I would say that your experience as a Navy Corpsman will unquestionably be your 'selling' feature. You will need to do extremely well on your MCAT if you want to stay in SD and go to UCSD...as I was reminded on my interview there that they "have more Nobel Laurettes here per capita than anywhere in the world." Having said that, if you don't do that well, your service will still be looked upon favorably. You've matured greatly in the process and you've done a lot of stuff that most have not.

Ooh rah Doc. Ooh rah.

For those of you who care...I've declared for and sumbitted my apps this year for psychiatry. I'm following in Teufel's footsteps, well sort of, he's paying off his HPSP obligation and I'll have none of that nor would I have any of that.

Word to the wise for those of you considering the HPSP...you served your time. You did it honorably and courageously, don't do it unless you have a strong desire to give more of yourself to your fellow man and country.

Good luck,

JMC

psych? Interesting. Why'd you choose it? I loved my psych rotation. Now I'm on surgery rotation and loving it more. hrmmm

psych? Interesting. Why'd you choose it? I loved my psych rotation. Now I'm on surgery rotation and loving it more. hrmmm

I really wish I had discovered it sooner, it never appeared on my radar until my clerkship.

I thinks its an exciting field, with fascinating pathology...I enjoy the treatment aspect of it with both the psychopharm and psychotherapy. I think its a very intellectual field heading in a direction of great discoveries wrt understanding more deeply the how and why and wrt more selective therapies and targets.

Additionally, it has what I perceive to be a nice lifestyle conducive to raising a family and a very high demand for its services. Psychiatry is the best kept secret in medicine.

I hope everyone is doing well and have a safe new year's

I really wish I had discovered it sooner, it never appeared on my radar until my clerkship.

I thinks its an exciting field, with fascinating pathology...I enjoy the treatment aspect of it with both the psychopharm and psychotherapy. I think its a very intellectual field heading in a direction of great discoveries wrt understanding more deeply the how and why and wrt more selective therapies and targets.

Additionally, it has what I perceive to be a nice lifestyle conducive to raising a family and a very high demand for its services. Psychiatry is the best kept secret in medicine.
I just realized that I never responded to you, JMC. Sorry bout that!

Psych sounds like a great field. Not one for me, but I definitely enjoyed the heck outta the rotation. How have interviews gone? Any leading contenders right now???

As for me, I'm currently divided between EM and Surgery.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays, Marines!

I just realized that I never responded to you, JMC. Sorry bout that!

Psych sounds like a great field. Not one for me, but I definitely enjoyed the heck outta the rotation. How have interviews gone? Any leading contenders right now???

As for me, I'm currently divided between EM and Surgery.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays, Marines!

YUT YUT!

EM v. SX - well, that's tough man...both are stressful, each one unique in their stressors. EM = 5 years off your life expectancy 2ary to circadian rhythm disturbances. Sx = stress from malpractice + 80 hour work weeks during your 5 years of residency. Good luck w/ that one, you'll do well in either one Evo, just not at all for me. I'm looking for that highly coveted admin job - and I found it - and its in high demand!

Interviews have gone well...many, many opportunities!

Stay motivated...Semper.

JMC

-MCRD San Diego 99

-MCB Butler Oki Camp Foster (4066 Computer guy) 00-02. Thailand was fun.

-MCRD San Diego (0656 slightly different variety of computer guy) 02-03. San Diego was nice, wearing chucks every day sucked.

-Sergeant

-Graduated from the U. of Colorado 2006, great GPA courtesy of good ole' fashion Marine Corps blood and sweat.

-Worked in a clinic for 6 months then switched to healthcare research for the VA in the bay area. I wasn't fully convinced medicine was for me until recently. Luckily I have all the pre-reqs already.

-Studying for June MCAT and will apply this year if I can figure out the inner workings of the AMCAS and how to get my military credits in there (which accounted for 0% of my education ... what a waste of time and energy).

Comm school, San Diego

Nursing school- 1973-76
CRNA school 1976-78
Employed 10 yrs as CRNA

Pre-med 1987-89
Med Coll of Wisc 1989-93

So you were at least 36 or so when you started pre-med? That takes conviction.

MCRD San Diego 2000 Plt 2057
SOI Camp Pendleton (Charlie Company, 0311)
Reserves
MCAT in 2002
AMCAS in 2002
Deployed to Djibouti in 2003
Withdrew AMCAS and AACOMAS
Filled them out again in Djibouti
Accepted UNECOM '08
Now finishing up my 4th year
Headed to Bethesda for internship

God bless the Corps!

CPL Landry reporting for duty!
I just found this thread after over two years on the threads. My Bio:

MCRD SD 7/97 Golf 2123
SOI 10/97
2/4 WPNS CO HMG PLT 1/98-7/01
31st MEU SOC 97-98 and 00-01 with the BLT
Metro State 01-07 Bio Major Chem minor
RVUCOM inagural Class 2012

Is there still a myspace group? if so can someone please lead me to it. My myspace is www.myspace.com/libolandry

Libo for everyone!!!

Hi all,
Just completed 5 year enlistment, at Pendleton the entire time (except for training and 2 trips to Iraq)...HMLA 169 and 303. Took enough classes at the local CCs so that I only have 3 semesters of full time school to get my BS in bio (UNR). USUHS is my #1 choice, and I will be taking the MCATs in July.

Looks like we're not such a rare breed afterall...seems to be a good number of us -- even better!

Welcome...glad to see everyone doing so well. Congrats to those of you recently accepted. Anyone approaching match day this March? Just curious what specialties and where you may end up.

I'm looking at psych in SoCal or possibly CO or AZ. We'll see on March 20th.

Stay motivated.

www.myspace.com/psychopharmalicious

JMC

P.S. The MySpace USMC group fell off when my MS account got hacked and I had to re-register. Plus there was only 3 of us total :thumbdown:

Raised my hand in Sept 1994
San Diego 2nd Bat Hotel Co.
MOS 6173 CH-53D/E Crewchief
MCAS Kaneohe Bay, Hawaii 1996-98
Tandem Thrust 1997
MCAS New River, NC 1998-2002
Med Float 2000
over 1000 hours in Super Stallions (CH-53's)
A&P (airframes and powerplants license)

NOW....

Southern Oregon University - Premed
Major: Applied Physics (3.55)
Minor: Chemistry

MCAT: will take this Spring 2008
Applying to MD schools: this June 2008

I'm praying for California schools or OHSU, maybe Mayo!!!
I'm thinking Radiology.

Wish me luck.... Ooh-Ra and Semper Fidelis!

Raised my hand in Sept 1994
San Diego 2nd Bat Hotel Co.
MOS 6173 CH-53D/E Crewchief
MCAS Kaneohe Bay, Hawaii 1996-98
Tandem Thrust 1997
MCAS New River, NC 1998-2002
Med Float 2000
over 1000 hours in Super Stallions (CH-53's)
A&P (airframes and powerplants license)

NOW....

Southern Oregon University - Premed
Major: Applied Physics (3.55)
Minor: Chemistry

MCAT: will take this Spring 2008
Applying to MD schools: this June 2008

I'm praying for California schools or OHSU, maybe Mayo!!!
I'm thinking Radiology.

Wish me luck.... Ooh-Ra and Semper Fidelis!
Hey man I was also stationed at New River from 97-00. I was with MWSS 272, last float I was on was 99-00 with HMM-261.

Ooo-rah! Welcome to the Other Suck...medicine, that is.

Heh.

Nice to see some new blood around here. Sorry that I haven't been more participatory, but I've been buried on rotations. Let me know if y'all have questions! :thumbup:

Oh, and specialties that I can definitely rule out: Psych, OB-Gyn, and Peds. That only leaves Surgery and EM at this point....

Well if you will permit a Green Side HM to weigh in

1991 HM8404 FMSS
1991 VMFA125 NAS Lemoore (TDY for paramedic school)
1992-1995 Camp Pendleton - STA 1/9, A 1/9, A 2/1, TDY to D Co 1st Force Rcn for Operation Restore Hope,Somalia
RIF'ed by Clinton 1995

Now trauma/thoracic/vascular surgery and FBI tactical med physician assistant....MCAT in August for (hopefully) 2009 OHSU or UW class

Well if you will permit a Green Side HM to weigh in

1991 HM8404 FMSS
1991 VMFA125 NAS Lemoore (TDY for paramedic school)
1992-1995 Camp Pendleton - STA 1/9, A 1/9, A 2/1, TDY to D Co 1st Force Rcn for Operation Restore Hope,Somalia
RIF'ed by Clinton 1995

Now trauma/thoracic/vascular surgery and FBI tactical med physician assistant....MCAT in August for (hopefully) 2009 OHSU or UW class

That's an impressive C.V. you've got there...Welcome HM FBIDoc...good luck!

USMCR here myself. Went to PI. 0861. Work as a social worker and going back to do my basic science courses to pursue medicine. Semper Fidelis and Good Night, Chesty......

Parris Island, MCRD: 2005 (03xx)
SOI, Camp Lejuene (0311)
RIP, Camp Lejeune: 2006
INDOC, ARS, Little Creek, VA: 2006
RECON Marine, Battalion: 2006-07
Deployed: Iraq, Afganhistan: 2006-07
Honorably Discharged: Medical: 2007

Semper fi, Marines. I got the boot half way through my first tour because of problems with my eyes. Loved every second of blood and sweat, while I was there, though. Loved RECON, miss it. Looking forward to getting the ball rolling and becoming a doc, though. Pursuing a B.S. in Biology. Hoping to get into med school with minimal resistance :rolleyes:. Good to know there are some other grunts making something of themselves. Good luck

-MCAS Beaufort SC, VMFA-251, Sergeant UGA pharmacy 2008, MCG Dental 2012

I'm calling you out MARINES.

I'm trying to to keep tabs on all the Marines-turned-docs that post on SDN. There aren't many of us, thus it shouldn't be too hard to keep up with one another. Please post here or PM with your story and progress. This includes residency folks and beyond as well, if ya'll don't mind.

I'll go first:

-Parris Island, 0311/8152 (Security Forces)
-North Island, San Diego (MCSFCo)
-Pendleton 2/1, WestPac '97, 15th MEU, USS Boxer (LHD-4)
-'93-'97, E-4
-Married 10 years
-2 kids, 7 and 3
-Biochem major/Occidental College
-2 years cancer clinical trials research/radioimmunotherapy

1st year student at COMP in Pomona, CA. So far so good. Want to match Ortho ot EM three years from now.

So I know we got Evo (by the way Evo, like the new avatar) and there is an old salt dog named Teufel around here. Panda Bear too.

Let's go gents, fall-in! If you're the quiet type...PM please. That'll work just as well.

Parris Island, MCRD: Oct 2000
MCT, Camp Lejuene: Jan 2001
29 Stumps, CA: Feb 2001 (0621-Comm Bubba)
4th ANGLICO, WPB Fla.: thru' Oct 2006
Deployed Iraq in 2003
Currently E-5 in IRR.
Married 6 1/2 yrs, 2 kids (2 1/2 yrs & 6 mths)
Matriculating to med school Fall 2008 (still trying to decide where).

Still lean and mean!

Semper Fi

What's up guys? Welcome to the newcomers, and congratulations to all those accepted to medical and professional school. For those of you just starting out, keep it strong and you SHALL achieve your goals. :thumbup:

Hey JMC, you've got the match in just a few weeks? Or have you guys already finished?

As for myself, I think that I'm going to be doing either GenSurg or Ortho. Should know soon!

Y'all have any questions, feel free to drop me a line.

Cheers!

Hey JMC, you've got the match in just a few weeks? Or have you guys already finished?

I'll know where this Thursday. Yut yut!

I just started rugby, anyone on here play? These guys are in terrific shape and are intense, I like it.

I'll know where this Thursday. Yut yut!

I just started rugby, anyone on here play? These guys are in terrific shape and are intense, I like it.
Good :luck:! Please be sure to let me know where you end up, man. :)

As for Rugby...damn, that's hardcore. I should learn how to play though...

2003 - RTC @ Great Lakes, IL
2003 - Navy HM "A"-School @ Great Lakes, IL
2004 - Field Medical Service School, Camp Pendleton, CA
2004 to 2008 - 1st Marine Division
(04 - 06) 1st Battalion, 4th Marines (OIF & 11th MEU)
(06 - 08) Headquarters Battalion (Desk job)

End of Active Service Obligation coming up on May 5, 2008.

Accepted to Univ. of Miami as a transfer student for Fall 2008.

Still waiting to hear back from Stanford, USC, UCSD, UCI, U of Arizona, and U of Hawaii at Manoa.