***The Official UTSD-Houston Class of 2024 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

Do y'all think having a deposit down at another school will affect our chances of getting in during the final round next month? I've heard that schools can see where we are holding a spot starting March 5th.

Reactions: 1 user
The same question i asked. I have 3 deposits but still wanted to get accepted. don’t think anyone knows really.

Gotcha. Texas has been my home for 2 years now as I finish undergrad and I have every intention of working here after I'm done with dental school, but I'm from Washington state and don't have residency yet. If not for that I would probably have gotten at least one Texas acceptance on Dec 2nd. I have a deposit down at USC, and I loved the school but prefer Houston to LA, at least in terms of which city I would rather live in. I'm also still waiting to hear back from the Army for HPSP so it's complicated because of the big cost difference.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone from January 23 or January 30 interview group been accepted? Have they sent that out yet? I only see acceptances up to mid January.

Sooooo all of the Directors of admissions are Calling people with more than one deposit to make a decision as they’re trying to finalize their classes.

So i don’t think those with acceptances and deposits already with other Texas schools will be getting an acceptance here unfortunately.
Oh wow. Even the Houston admissions Director is calling people with multiple deposits? Are they just going to not accept you if you have other deposits or give you the option to make a decision?

Sooooo all of the Directors of admissions are Calling people with more than one deposit to make a decision as they’re trying to finalize their classes.

So i don’t think those with acceptances and deposits already with other Texas schools will be getting an acceptance here unfortunately.

I don’t think this is entirely accurate. I think if they believe that you’re the best fit for their program, especially with the timing, they will send you an offer. Don’t lose hope! I’m in the same boat as you. They are still meeting to discuss the open spots and Dr. Cooley said they are going to send offers either the third or 4th week this month.

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know how many seats are approximately left?

Texas A&M and San Antonio reached out to me this morning To make a decision.
Even though TX goes through TMDSAS mainly, it's prob due to this:
  • Applicants Holding Positions at Multiple Institutions. Dental schools participating in ADEA AADSAS will report to ADEA AADSAS by March 1 the names of candidates who hold a position in their entering class. After March 5, ADEA AADSAS will report to each institution the names of candidates in their entering class who are holding acceptance(s) at additional institutions (only names are reported with no other additional information). The process for candidates holding multiple positions is as follows:
    1. Dental schools with candidates holding multiple positions on March 1 of the year of admission will contact such candidates and give the candidates a minimum fifteen-day notice to affirm their position in the class or to withdraw their position.
    2. If the candidate does not respond within the allotted notification time frame, the dental school may choose to withdraw the candidate from the entering class.
    3. Notification times may be shortened after April 15.
    4. Dental schools will have the option of rescinding an offer of admission to candidates who are holding positions at multiple institutions.
source: ADEA AADSAS® Guidelines for Dental Schools When Extending Offers of Admission

Yeah this is annoying to read because some of us are counting on houston to be the first and only acceptance and some people are like stressing about hearing back for their 3rd acceptance like please hahaha

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Wondering if things will be even further delayed if things are closed due to COVID19 outbreak and cancelations...

According to Google the school is still open. I imagine professional schools will be the last to close because there is so much that can't be learned virtually. Unless the school closes I doubt it will affect the speed of admissions decisions.

According to Google the school is still open. I imagine professional schools will be the last to close because there is so much that can't be learned virtually. Unless the school closes I doubt it will affect the speed of admissions decisions.
They announced today they have switched to virtual online learning

Oh, well then ignore everything I just said. I'm a little surprised they went that route already. I'm sure there is a way they can make admissions decisions virtually if needed but who knows how they'll do it or how long it will take now.

On the flip side, maybe it could expedite decisions if the board is eager to get final decisions in and then isolate at home. Who knows?

Does anyone think that we might hear back this week? Trying to hold on to any hope lol

Reactions: 5 users
Does anyone think that we might hear back this week? Trying to hold on to any hope lol

I'm feeling optimistic but things could get delayed. My reasoning is that the board can still meet via video chat like a lot of businesses are doing, and the professors might even have less work than before with clinics being closed.

Something tells me we're not gonna hear back until next week... especially with everything going on :shrug:

you have no clue what I’ve been through to get any acceptance unless of course you followed my post lol.

Not my fault i sacrificed and grinded my a** off to get acceptances. sounds like you’re jealous. I have the same right as every one of you other privileged people on this post to want to Get an acceptance so . . .

and to be clear i have 3 acceptances already so i would’ve been waiting on my 4th
It sounds like you have great empathy skills! People are asking others to be mindful that those siting on acceptances from more places to think about those that are struggling to hear back from any schools. No one is devaluing your hard work and I am sure every single person on this app worked just as hard as you. As you will become a doctor you should really work on an empathetic, people based approach when communicating with possibly your future colleagues or patients.

Well then... I'll just say that I honestly wish the best for everyone in their past and future acceptances. I know how stressful it can be especially in times like these. We all worked hard to get to this point and I know all of us here are capable of making it in with the right motivation so stay positive and keep on working like you have been. Everyone's path to dentistry is different but that's ok. You guys and gals are awesome. Stay healthy.

Sent from my SM-G975U using SDN mobile

Let’s cool it on the bickering. If you don’t like someone, please use the ignore function. Do not engage each other. I do not want to start kicking people out of this thread, but I will if this continues.

At this point, I feel like the class must be full. It’s almost been two months since my interview.

At this point, I feel like the class must be full. It’s almost been two months since my interview.

That would contradict what Dr. Cooley told other students. Also, a waitlist and most rejections haven't been sent yet, and we are only a couple of weeks past the last wave of acceptances that came last year, which was March 13th.

That would contradict what Dr. Cooley told other students. Also, a waitlist and most rejections haven't been sent yet, and we are only a couple of weeks past the last wave of acceptances that came last year, which was March 13th.
I really hope so. It’s been so frustrating not knowing where I’m going to be in just a few months. I’m sure you all feel the same.

I really hope so. It’s been so frustrating not knowing where I’m going to be in just a few months. I’m sure you all feel the same.

Yeah I completely understand. It really depends I suppose on whether or not the admissions committee had found a way to meet virtually. If they have, then Friday should be the latest we find out.

Also a friend of mine got in last year on March 26th, so I'm sure they're still probably deliberating. Hope that gives y'all some hope!

Reactions: 4 users
Fingers crossed for tomorrow. I really just want to know one way or the other.

Reactions: 3 users
Fingers crossed for tomorrow. I really just want to know one way or the other.
Same. No acceptances yet, and the months of anticipation have been really difficult. Trying to stay hopeful, but have started getting things in line to apply again.

Reactions: 7 users
Lol so I’m thinking we’re gonna hear back closer to end of April/beginning of May? Ugh.

Anyone hear anything? I really thought we'd hear back by today.

If I’ve been accepted at an out of state school but I am a Texas resident, so I applied via TMDSAS to UTSD, can they see that I’ve been accepted oos? Or can they only see if I’ve been accepted to a Texas dental school? I’m wondering if the May 1st deadline of giving an offer is only if you’ve been accepted to a Texas dental school and they would be able to extend an offer to you if you were accepted out of state.

do we think tomorrow is the day?
Honestly at this point, I think any weekday leading up to May 1st is fair game. Hopefully sooner rather than later, but with everything that’s going on, I doubt we’ll be hearing this week. Fingers crossed we all hear soon because this waiting game is honestly the worst

Honestly at this point, I think any weekday leading up to May 1st is fair game. Hopefully sooner rather than later, but with everything that’s going on, I doubt we’ll be hearing this week. Fingers crossed we all hear soon because this waiting game is honestly the worst
I agree with this, part of me wishes that because of the schools closing that the admissions committee will have more time to meet and discuss acceptances but in reality I'm sure that they have a lot bigger fish to fry right now than worrying about us. Sucks, but I agree that I don't think we will hear back for a while.

Has anyone tried to contact the school to see what the status is on admissions?

Has anyone tried to contact the school to see what the status is on admissions?

They're not answering phones; their voicemail says they'll be out of the office until March 27th but maybe thats been extended.