*^~*~^* The Official What Are My Chances/Where to Apply Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry, I had to do this: 1000th post!!!

Okay, thanks for the response - you suggested Baylor and Duke? Do you think that they are easier to get into MD/PhD-wise? I was not under that impression...

No, I don't think they're easier to get into, but I was wondering why you didn't apply to them. One of my friends is currently a M1 at Baylor MSTP and you have slightly better stats (although MSTP is really about the quality of your research) I think your list is fine but I would just add some more schools to round it out, you don't necessarily need to add lower ranked ones, you can add mid/upper tier schools. Ironically, the only minor nitpick about your app may be that your science MCAT scores aren't all that high but that's really splitting hairs, you still have 3.8+ and 35.

Members don't see this ad.

I just submitted my AMCAS today...:( which means I'll have at least another 2 weeks until it's verified. (I was hesitant on deciding whether or not to retake, and decided at the last minute not to.)

I took the MCAT in May: 28M (8 PS, 9 VR, 11 BS)
Overall GPA: 3.84
Science:3.71

ECs:
Laboratory Research (2 summers)
Clinical Research (1 summer)
Hospital Clinic Staff (3 years)
Physician Shadowing
Communications Lab Tutor
Hospital and Rest Home Volunteer

Schools:
Creighton University School of Medicine
Drexel University College of Medicine
Eastern Virginia Medical School
George Washington University Sch of Med & Hlth Sci
Georgetown University School of Medicine
Jefferson Medical Coll. of Thomas Jefferson Univ.
Loma Linda University School of Medicine
Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine
Medical College of Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science
Saint Louis University School of Medicine
The Ohio State Univ. Coll. of Med. & Pub. Hlth.
Tulane University School of Medicine
University of Utah School of Medicine
Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine

Did I just waste almost $600 in applying so late in the year? :scared:
Do I even have a shot? Or should I still think about retaking soon?

I know that some say an 8 in PS is "especially troubling" (hey drizzzt!), but it's also not a deal-breaker. Per an adcom at Northwestern, an 8 in PS is considered "average." It's not great to be average in this process, but it's better than below average. And I've seen many others succeed with an 8 in PS. Personally, I got a 30 overall, and an 8 in PS and have interview invites at Tulane and GWU already (not that that necessarily means I'll succeed, but it does show that the 8 wasn't so distasteful as to get my app thrown out). I also have a somewhat similar gpa (but I do have a grad degree and am non-trad, so we're really more apples to oranges).

I do agree with drizzzt that a 28 is on the low end for MD schools. However, if you're applying to schools with an average 30 MCAT, they obviously let in students with under a 30, so it's certainly possible to get in. I think that if you have a great personal statement, excellent ECs and good LORs that you'll have a good shot (especially with your great gpa). Just apply BROADLY and make sure your essays are well-written.

Do any neighboring state schools give Utah applicants a slight preference? If so, be sure to apply to those schools. I think that you should apply to 25-30 schools. Also, if you're at all open to going the DO route, I highly suggest applying to a couple of DO schools as well. Especially if you'd prefer to get a DO degree rather than wait and reapply next year (with a higher MCAT and get everything in the first day you can). Anyway, that's my two cents. Good luck!

OK, so here are my stats...

MD resident
MCAT 33S (12PS 12BS 9VR)
BCPM GPA 3.59 :(
Total GPA 3.74
Will be graduating with BS's in biochemistry and neurophysiology and a language minor
~200 hours of volunteering in Shock Trauma
some research that didn't do much for me or my resume
science lab TA and other teaching experience
group research (Gemstone, if anyone knows what that is) on bacteria
leadership experience in honor societies and music

So. I'm applying to UMaryland, Vanderbilt, UVA, Penn, Pitt, Cornell, Columbia, Harvard, Stanford, and Mt. Sinai... do I have my sights set too high? Am I kidding myself? :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)

MD resident
MCAT 33S (12PS 12BS 9VR)
Total GPA 3.74
Will be graduating with BS's in biochemistry and neurophysiology and a language minor

So. I'm applying to UMaryland, Vanderbilt, UVA, Penn, Pitt, Cornell, Columbia, Harvard, Stanford, and Mt. Sinai... do I have my sights set too high? Am I kidding myself? :scared:

I think those are excellent schools to apply to, and you've got great stats/ECs. However, of the 10 you've picked, other than your state school, you really can't "count" on getting into any one of them (as much as anyone can "count" on a school as a safety). My philosophy is that it's better to be safe than sorry, so I'd suggest adding about 5 mid-tier schools (unless you'd really rather reapply next cycle than go to one of them). Since you've got Pitt & Penn on your list, how about Jefferson for starters? Or perhaps consider Tufts? University of Southern California? Or maybe some more NYC schools? Albert Einstein? And why not NYU (it's not any "easier" to get in to, but casting your net wider could help up the odds)? Regardless, I think you have an excellent app and will get in this cycle. Good luck!

Entering Sr Yr, 2.8 gpa (overall), 2.5 science (I took a summer semester of 9 credits: phy2, lab, and calc2...biggest mistake ever b/c that's what mainly brought my gpa down). I've always been a straight A student in high school, but I had a very poor science foundation and took on too many difficult classes my 1st semesters in college...didn't adapt quickly enough. I've also battled depression.
EC's: I've worked in various jobs (teach piano, retail, pharmacy tech.), I've volunteered pretty much every yr (a clinic, a hospital), I'm actively involved in 2 clubs, and took a "leadership" position teaching bio for a yr.

I'm pretty sure I can get a high MCAT, around 35+, and my GPA can be uped to about 3.1 by the end of Sr. Yr. B/c I'm applying right at the end of Sr. Yr, I have a yr to do nothing while I wait for responses, so I'm planning on simultaneously applying to Post-Bac's and do that in the fall...if not I'll apply again at the end of the post-bac yr...I'll be 22 by then. If I got accepted I would have to start at age 23.
Still, If I apply the VERY FIRST DAY, June 1, 2008, what are my chances of ANY U.S. Med schools right after my sr. yr.? I'm technically a "minority"...oh and I don't mind applying ANYWHERE...as long as it's in the states. I've heard Howard and other schools take lower GPA's. Humor me but be kind...=(

MD resident
MCAT 33S (12PS 12BS 9VR)
Total GPA 3.74

I would apply a lot more broadly. Your stats are pretty good but going to be below average for many of the schools on your list.

Entering Sr Yr, 2.8 gpa (overall), 2.5 science (I took a summer semester of 9 credits: phy2, lab, and calc2...biggest mistake ever b/c that's what mainly brought my gpa down). I've always been a straight A student in high school, but I had a very poor science foundation and took on too many difficult classes my 1st semesters in college...didn't adapt quickly enough. I've also battled depression.
EC's: I've worked in various jobs (teach piano, retail, pharmacy tech.), I've volunteered pretty much every yr (a clinic, a hospital), I'm actively involved in 2 clubs, and took a "leadership" position teaching bio for a yr.

I'm pretty sure I can get a high MCAT, around 35+, and my GPA can be uped to about 3.1 by the end of Sr. Yr. B/c I'm applying right at the end of Sr. Yr, I have a yr to do nothing while I wait for responses, so I'm planning on simultaneously applying to Post-Bac's and do that in the fall...if not I'll apply again at the end of the post-bac yr...I'll be 22 by then. If I got accepted I would have to start at age 23.
Still, If I apply the VERY FIRST DAY, June 1, 2008, what are my chances of ANY U.S. Med schools right after my sr. yr.? I'm technically a "minority"...oh and I don't mind applying ANYWHERE...as long as it's in the states. I've heard Howard and other schools take lower GPA's. Humor me but be kind...=(

You need to take the MCAT and have a AMCAS GPA before you have any idea what your chances are. You can say you will get whatever MCAT score you want but it's worthless until you actually have the score.

How sure are you that you can get 35+? Dont say "Because I'm determined to get it ":rolleyes:. Unless you're now hitting 37+ on a consistent basis, you're not sure of anything. Obviously you now your GPA is low so that postbacc is definitely a good idea although I'm not sure how high you can pull it up. Also keep in mind that since you havent taken your MCAT yet, theres no need to rush the appliation process. You can always do some extensive volutneering work in the peacecorps or red cross, that can strengthen your application and make you stand out.

And do you have any research exp?

MD resident
MCAT 33S (12PS 12BS 9VR)
Total GPA 3.74

You might be aiming too high if these are teh ONLY schools you are applying to. With the bolded ones, you might not even get an interview. Judging from your numbers, theres nothing that stands out other than your volunteering. You should apply to more mid tiers. Any city preferences? Look into USC, AECOM, NYMC, Temple, NYU, BU

You might be aiming too high if these are teh ONLY schools you are applying to. With the bolded ones, you might not even get an interview. Judging from your numbers, theres nothing that stands out other than your volunteering. You should apply to more mid tiers. Any city preferences? Look into USC, AECOM, NYMC, Temple, NYU, BU

Have to agree with you here,
Your ECs are solid/good, but nothing spectacular, and with your average MCAT and sighlty below average BCMP, those top schools are going to be slim pickings. Definately apply more broadly.

Stats:

GPA: 3.85 (science is 3.84 and non-science is 3.86)
MCAT: 10 PS, 10VR, 13BS

My academic record is ok.. nothing spectacular. As for EC's, I have volunteered in a clinical setting over the past 3 summers (various departments, mostly ER) for no more than 150 hours and I have done a little shadowing-like 20hrs. :scared:

Basically, I am a bum and I want to know if I have a chance at any allo schools in the northeast. (resident of NH w/ strong ties to MA)

Stats:

GPA: 3.85 (science is 3.84 and non-science is 3.86)
MCAT: 10 PS, 10VR, 13BS

My academic record is ok.. nothing spectacular. As for EC's, I have volunteered in a clinical setting over the past 3 summers (various departments, mostly ER) for no more than 150 hours and I have done a little shadowing-like 20hrs. :scared:

Basically, I am a bum and I want to know if I have a chance at any allo schools in the northeast. (resident of NH w/ strong ties to MA)

Yes. Now get to work beefing up your clinical experience, get great LORs, and write a killer personal statement.

Errr, are you talking about applying for this cycle? Or next?

Thanks for your input. Unfortunately, I am talking about submitting secondaries for this cycle mid to late Sept.

Thanks for your input. Unfortunately, I am talking about submitting secondaries for this cycle mid to late Sept.

It's very possible you'll be interviewing for waitlist spots by that time.

Members don't see this ad :)

Well, I've seen it done (and sometimes done successfully), but it won't be pretty, and you will not have the same choices/options as you would if you waited until next cycle. But it's your decision, and your nice stats will certainly help. If you're dead set on applying this year, I say go for it. Just get everything together ASAP, cross your fingers, and don't hold your breath. But be sure to apply BROADLY as well. Good luck.

Yep, I was kind of bummed about the first rejection, especially from BU, since I really liked the school and curriculum. Oh well.

Hey guys, just trying to figure out if my potential list of places to apply is realistic.

First off, MI resident, student of a relatively small engineering school no one's heard of (Lawrence Tech).

MCAT: 34O (12VR - 11PS - 11BS)
GPA: 3.81 overall, science slightly higher (but I didn't do the math)
Major: Biomedical engineering

ECs:
Emergency room volunteer (~5 hours a week, 1 year)
1 summer of research
Eagle scout
About to start tutoring
President of school's Biomedical Engineering Society

I know my extracurriculars are pretty weak, that's the main reason I'm making this post.

I'm thinking of applying to the following, but I really don't know where I stand because my extracurriculars are iffy:

UMich
Michigan State
Wayne State
Ohio State
Hopkins
Stanford
UConn
Penn
Boston U
Tufts
Albany
Rochester
UMaryland

Any insight you guys could provide would be great.

Was wondering what you all thought about my stats. I just need some reassurance.

3.61 Cumulative GPA
3.52 Science GPA
27T MCATs (I know :( ) (V:9, B:9, P:9)
Volunteer EMT for a Year now; also 2 year president of my university's Pre-Med organization.

What do you guys think?

I'm a PA resident, applying to: Temple, Pitt, PennState, Jefferson, Drexel, SUNY syracuse, SUNY buffalo, northeastern ohio college of medicine.
(Think thats it. may be one more from PA though)

Just wondering if you all could toss me your opinions... Wish my MCATs were a bit higher... On the plus side i got highest score on essay part. top 99.9%, but unfortunately i dont think that will help me much.

-Thanks in advance.

-Dan.

Hi guys,

I'm turning down acceptances from Western and KCOM this year to try to get into a MD school.
My stats:

GPA 3.48
SGPA 3.3
MCAT 9VR 10PS 9BS Q = 28
VA resident
3 years of research
1 year surgical technician
lots of volunteering
good PS

applying to:

all VA schools
SUNY schools
4 Texas schools
Drexel
NYMC
Tulane
U of U
SLU
RFU
Marshall
GW
UIC
Toledo
Northeastern Ohio
U of South Alabama
U of Alabama
NYMC
Cinncinati
Rush
Jefferson Medical College
U of Minn Duluth
Boston U

what do you think? Do you think there are other schools that I should consider?

applying as in, you haven't applied yet? Honestly, if you haven't submitted AMCAS yet, I wouldn't even bother applying this cycle with those stats...

Hi guys,

I'm turning down acceptances from Western and KCOM this year to try to get into a MD school.
My stats:

GPA 3.48
SGPA 3.3
MCAT 9VR 10PS 9BS Q = 28
VA resident
3 years of research
1 year surgical technician
lots of volunteering
good PS

applying to:

all VA schools
SUNY schools
4 Texas schools
Drexel
NYMC
Tulane
U of U
SLU
RFU
Marshall
GW
UIC
Toledo
Northeastern Ohio
U of South Alabama
U of Alabama
NYMC
Cinncinati
Rush
Jefferson Medical College
U of Minn Duluth
Boston U

what do you think? Do you think there are other schools that I should consider?

Well, I've seen it done (and sometimes done successfully), but it won't be pretty, and you will not have the same choices/options as you would if you waited until next cycle. But it's your decision, and your nice stats will certainly help. If you're dead set on applying this year, I say go for it. Just get everything together ASAP, cross your fingers, and don't hold your breath. But be sure to apply BROADLY as well. Good luck.

wow, is one month really that big of difference?

Mid august is something like middle of the pack, but mid sept is waitlist time?

I'm scared cause I don't plan to be complete till end of august

wow, is one month really that big of difference?

Mid august is something like middle of the pack, but mid sept is waitlist time?

I'm scared cause I don't plan to be complete till end of august

You also have 3.8 and 40 MCAT. Your stats will get you a fair look regardless where you are in the cycle, while someone with 3.8/33 won't have the same luxury, and the poster I just replied to with 3.5/28 needs to apply early or not bother at least IMO.

applying as in, you haven't applied yet? Honestly, if you haven't submitted AMCAS yet, I wouldn't even bother applying this cycle with those stats...

kind of harsh, wasn't it?

if you truly want to be an MD and not a DO then definitely follow your dream, but realize that you're throwing away two good acceptances (however if you're not into "the DO philosophy" then obviously you shouldn't be pursuing it) i think you could significantly improve your chances at an MD school by retaking the MCAT and taking some additional science classes to improve your GPA. my two cents is that you'd have a much better chance of gaining admission in next year's cycle, so if it were me i'd take the year off to take classes, study for the mcat (perhaps take it next january) and do clinical things in my spare time.

good luck!! it's a long road but if it's something you truly want you shouldn't have too much trouble being motivated :)

kind of harsh, wasn't it?

Maybe, but if you submitted AMCAS 8/15 and were verified 9/15, even if you had all the secondaries finished already and submitted asap, you probably wouldn't be complete until mid october. Assuming you got lucky with the admissions committee meeting and you got your application looked at by early nov, you're probably at best looking at interviewing in early/mid dec, if not the following year. By then, you may be looking at interviewing for waitlist spots at best. I'd save the money and work on improving MCAT and ECs, and having a good shot the following year by submitting 6/1, but that's just my opinion.

You also have 3.8 and 40 MCAT. Your stats will get you a fair look regardless where you are in the cycle, while someone with 3.8/33 won't have the same luxury, and the poster I just replied to with 3.5/28 needs to apply early or not bother at least IMO.

I think I interpeted what you said to mean they only have waitlist spots left at that time, as in they've accepted/plan to accept enough people for their class already by mid Septembers:eek::scared:

fortunately I have most of my competitive schools complete, and only my reaches are still far from being finished:) although I should hurry up otherwise my first rejection will be from Northwestern in two days:scared:

Maybe, but if you submitted AMCAS 8/15 and were verified 9/15, even if you had all the secondaries finished already and submitted asap, you probably wouldn't be complete until mid october. Assuming you got lucky with the admissions committee meeting and you got your application looked at by early nov, you're probably at best looking at interviewing in early/mid dec, if not the following year. By then, you may be looking at interviewing for waitlist spots at best. I'd save the money and work on improving MCAT and ECs, and having a good shot the following year by submitting 6/1, but that's just my opinion.

i don't disagree with you (as you can see from the suggestions in my post) but i just thought you could have been more suave about it. :cool:

I think I interpeted what you said to mean they only have waitlist spots left at that time, as in they've accepted/plan to accept enough people for their class already by mid Septembers:eek::scared:

fortunately I have most of my competitive schools complete, and only my reaches are still far from being finished:) although I should hurry up otherwise my first rejection will be from Northwestern in two days:scared:

Nah, I meant submitting AMCAS by august is late. If you're just waiting to finish secondaries or something you're just fine. Honestly, I think your app will be competitive at most schools. My brother was AMCAS verified a few years ago at the end of July, didn't finish submitting all his secondaries until Sept, and got 12 interviews and 8 acceptances including HMS, Cornell, UM, and others. I think his stats were about the same as yours, a little lower MCAT, a little higher GPA, all clinical ECs (no basic science research)

i don't disagree with you (as you can see from the suggestions in my post) but i just thought you could have been more suave about it. :cool:

I don't disagree with you, but I'd rather someone tell me the truth (however harsh) then lead me into wasting thousands of dollars, but that's just my $0.02 :)

I'm going to assume things keep going as they've been going here so...

Biomedical Engineering Major
GPA: 3.7
GPAScience: 3.7 (ish)

ECs (lacking so far):
Occasional Organizations
Writing for the School Paper
Volunteering at Free Clinic
Teaching Supplemental Instruction

Projected MCAT: 38

Going to spend the next 2 years catching up on the ECs but assuming I don't, what's the chance of getting into, say, Harvard and Umich med schools for PhD/MD?

I'm going to assume things keep going as they've been going here so...

Biomedical Engineering Major
GPA: 3.7
GPAScience: 3.7 (ish)

ECs (lacking so far):
Occasional Organizations
Writing for the School Paper
Volunteering at Free Clinic
Teaching Supplemental Instruction

Projected MCAT: 38

Going to spend the next 2 years catching up on the ECs but assuming I don't, what's the chance of getting into, say, Harvard and Umich med schools for PhD/MD?

You need to have research, thats most important for MD/PhD. Don't knwow if you forgot to include that in your description. Without it I wouldn't go down the PhD road.

Hey guys, just trying to figure out if my potential list of places to apply is realistic.

First off, MI resident, student of a relatively small engineering school no one's heard of (Lawrence Tech).

ECs:
1 summer of research
Eagle scout
About to start tutoring

I know my extracurriculars are pretty weak, that's the main reason I'm making this post.

I'm thinking of applying to the following, but I really don't know where I stand because my extracurriculars are iffy:

UMich
Michigan State
Wayne State
Ohio State
Hopkins
Stanford
UConn
Penn
Boston U
Tufts
Albany
Rochester
UMaryland

I hate to be all 'hey, look at me!' but, hey, look at me. I kinda got skipped over?

Apply more broadly, work on your ECs during your application year.

ECs:
1 summer of research
Eagle scout
About to start tutoring

UMich
Michigan State
Wayne State
Ohio State
Hopkins
Stanford
UConn
Penn
Boston U
Tufts
Albany
Rochester
UMaryland

Hi,

I have a 34 on my MCAT (10 VR, 13 PS, 11 BS), and a 3.91 overall/3.94 science (I majored in physics at a top 10 school).

I have a lot of very in-depth extracurriculars and various awards (for community service, academic achievement, etc.). My LORs are extremely strong. My writing skills and extracurrics are the strongest part of my application.

Do I have a chance at the top 10 schools? I know my MCAT isn't quite where it needs to be for the elite places, but I thought maybe the rest of my app would make up for it. Also, will I get any questions about my GPA and MCAT not correlating as well as they should?

In any case, I've applied broadly...but I'm starting to wonder if I should just save my money rather than fill out secondaries for Harvard, Yale, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.