*^~*~^* The Official What Are My Chances/Where to Apply Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
hey guys,

i recently got my amcas verified and im kinda worried. My science gpa was lower than i anticipated. Apparently, they didnt calculated biochemistry, microbiology, or eukaryotic cell structure into my BCPM (all of which i got an A in.. biology is my strong point). I have a 3.54 science, and 3.71 overall. What are my chances of getting in to a middle tier to low tier.. O yeah, my mcat was 31N with 10P-9V-12B? thanks for any input guys. im a florida resident..

Those are BCPM courses, and if they didn't calculate it into your BCPM you should ask them to correct it.

Anyways, 3.7 GPA is higher than the average at most low tier schools and about the average at most mid tier schools, 31N is probably right around the average at most low tier schools and slightly below average for a mid tier school. So you probably have an outside chance at mid tier schools, and pretty decent chance at low tier schools, depending on your ECs/LORs/Personal Statement etc, all of which you didn't describe.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, do you want to go out of state? You could certainly add some more OOS schools. There are a lot of schools at which your stats would be approximately the average of entrants in the MSAR, but do you want to go there?

I'd rather not, but last year turned out to be a bust...so I'm not taking any chances this time. Thanks for the advice, any schools in particular come to mind?

I'd rather not, but last year turned out to be a bust...so I'm not taking any chances this time. Thanks for the advice, any schools in particular come to mind?

Off the top of my head:

Jefferson
Drexel
Rush
Potentially Rochester
EVMS
BU/Tufts if you are ok with the tuition/lots of apps
SLU
Medical College of Wisconsin

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's my situation - please let me know what you think.

Current stats:
Undergrad GPA: 3.75
Science GPA: 3.8 (state school)
Grad GPA: 3.5 (Ivy League school)
MCATs (taken in 2003): 34P
Retaking MCATs on 8/14 and hope to do better than previously (current practice today indicates that I will do slightly better).

I orginally applied to MD/PhD programs in 2003, set up several interviews at schools before withdrawling my application. At the time, I was much more interested in research and decided to pursue a PhD program in the biosciences instead. Now, three years post undergrad, I realize what a huge mistake that was, and that I'm really much more interested in practicing medicine. As such, I'm in the middle of the application process, although I'm not going to drop out of my PhD program until I get accepted to med school. Also, I've just recently earned my Masters.

My ECs are mainly research oriented - I published a paper in a top journal and have won several prestigous research awards. My clinical experience is limited to volunteering at the American Red Cross (blood drives, etc...), although I have consistenly done so since 2000 and have a great letter of recommendation on file from it. I have my undergrad pre-med committee writing my letters of recommendation.

Any thoughts? I'm a resident of NY, so I plan on applying to SUNY schools, but also want to take a shot a couple of top tier places. I know that I will be considered a "non-traditional student", even though I'm only 26.

Here's my situation - please let me know what you think.

Current stats:
Undergrad GPA: 3.75
Science GPA: 3.8 (state school)
Grad GPA: 3.5 (Ivy League school)
MCATs (taken in 2003): 34P
Retaking MCATs on 8/14 and hope to do better than previously (current practice today indicates that I will do slightly better).

I orginally applied to MD/PhD programs in 2003, set up several interviews at schools before withdrawling my application. At the time, I was much more interested in research and decided to pursue a PhD program in the biosciences instead. Now, three years post undergrad, I realize what a huge mistake that was, and that I'm really much more interested in practicing medicine. As such, I'm in the middle of the application process, although I'm not going to drop out of my PhD program until I get accepted to med school. Also, I've just recently earned my Masters.

My ECs are mainly research oriented - I published a paper in a top journal and have won several prestigous research awards. My clinical experience is limited to volunteering at the American Red Cross (blood drives, etc...), although I have consistenly done so since 2000 and have a great letter of recommendation on file from it. I have my undergrad pre-med committee writing my letters of recommendation.

Any thoughts? I'm a resident of NY, so I plan on applying to SUNY schools, but also want to take a shot a couple of top tier places. I know that I will be considered a "non-traditional student", even though I'm only 26.
What's your MCAT breakdown? Because if it's pretty balanced, I don't see why you would want to retake it. I mean, if you had say, 13, 13, 8, that's understandable. But with your ECs and grades, you should be fine with that score. Also, I think med schools prefer you to finish any schooling you're doing (i.e., they'll want you to finish your Ph.D. before going to med school).

I have to retake the exam because they will not accept scores more than 3 years old from date of med school matriculation, and my scores would be a full five years old. Here's the breakdown:
PS: 12
Bio: 13
Verbal: 9

I realize that I may get "finish your PhD first." I guess that's a chance that I'll have to take.

I have to retake the exam because they will not accept scores more than 3 years old from date of med school matriculation, and my scores would be a full five years old. Here's the breakdown:
PS: 12
Bio: 13
Verbal: 9

I realize that I may get "finish your PhD first." I guess that's a chance that I'll have to take.

Most schools will either a) make you finish your PhD or b) get a letter from your advisor stating that they are aware you are applying to med school.

Hi everyone, here is my situation/dilemma, and I'd appreciate any advice:

Undergrad: JHU (science major, premed, just graduated)
Undergrad BCPM: 3.28
Undergrad Overall: 3.35
MCAT: taken last month, waiting for score...
Plenty of ECs w/ leadership positions, study abroad, multiple clinical experiences, and extensive research (including one co-author in J Neurosci)

So, I need to strengthen my gpa stats. I had planned to enroll in an ivy league M.S. program (which starts very soon), which consists of hard science courses and a research-based thesis project. However, I have realized that in order to increase my undergrad GPA's, a grad program would not help b/c there would be a separate gpa for that on amcas, so when it comes down to applying, I might still get screwed by the screening process, despite a potentially high grad gpa. Therefore, would it be more advisable to take post-bac, upper-level science courses at, say, Harvard Extension for a year? That would increase both my BCPM and Overall to a more respectable, albeit still low, 3.45. This doesn't seem like a lot, but maybe it would help get my foot in the door at more schools? On the other hand, I'd only be taking classes and not getting a degree out of it. But, just taking classes is significantly cheaper than the grad program. So what should I do??? :confused:

Thanks

Hi everyone, here is my situation/dilemma, and I'd appreciate any advice:

Undergrad: JHU (science major, premed, just graduated)
Undergrad BCPM: 3.28
Undergrad Overall: 3.35
MCAT: taken last month, waiting for score...
Plenty of ECs w/ leadership positions, study abroad, multiple clinical experiences, and extensive research (including one co-author in J Neurosci)

So, I need to strengthen my gpa stats. I had planned to enroll in an ivy league M.S. program (which starts very soon), which consists of hard science courses and a research-based thesis project. However, I have realized that in order to increase my undergrad GPA's, a grad program would not help b/c there would be a separate gpa for that on amcas, so when it comes down to applying, I might still get screwed by the screening process, despite a potentially high grad gpa. Therefore, would it be more advisable to take post-bac, upper-level science courses at, say, Harvard Extension for a year? That would increase both my BCPM and Overall to a more respectable, albeit still low, 3.45. This doesn't seem like a lot, but maybe it would help get my foot in the door at more schools? On the other hand, I'd only be taking classes and not getting a degree out of it. But, just taking classes is significantly cheaper than the grad program. So what should I do??? :confused:

Thanks

I'm not sure that you wouldn't be a competitive applicant with a MCAT in the mid 30s. People recognize that JHU undergrad is very competitive and that it's hard to have a very high GPA. That said, if you end up in the low 30s, you could take some classes postbac to improve your GPA. I'm not sure if HES allows ppl to enroll for upper division coursework only but you could ask in the postbac forum.

Do you guys think my lack of lab research will hurt me at the top schools? Any other comments on my app would be appreciated! Thanks!

http://mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?myid=8640

Looks good, lack of lab research is never an issue for MD if have ample other ECs with leadership or sports.
Great MCAT and GPA, should do fine anywhere.

If someone can take a look see at my profile that would be great. My ECs are really bothering me.
http://mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?myid=8592
should I bother to expand upon my volunteering activities or will that not matters to adcom this close to the interview?

Do you guys think my lack of lab research will hurt me at the top schools? Any other comments on my app would be appreciated! Thanks!

http://mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?myid=8640

Umm, with those stats, I think you have wayyy more to worry about than just research. I would probably work on that GPA, and your MCAT scores are a little sub-par as well....

J/K! According to experience w/ the premed advisors here at JHU, who for sure know their stuff, it is much better to have clinical experience than research experience. Although most applicants do have some form of research under their belt, one should do it only if they have a passion for it (like an EC), or if one is applying MD/PHD (in which case research must be a passion). Clincal work though is kind of a necessity. Basically, I don't think you should worry about it given your academics. I'm sure you'll get into at least one of those places.

Looks good, lack of lab research is never an issue for MD if have ample other ECs with leadership or sports.
Great MCAT and GPA, should do fine anywhere.

There are certain schools/programs that really want people to have research.

Some that have been mentioned include:

Pritzker
Harvard HST
Vanderbilt
CCLCM
Stanford
Duke

I think if you don't have basic science research and apply to these schools, you may be at a disadvantage because many of the people that apply to many of these schools have great stats AND research.

Members don't see this ad :)
If someone can take a look see at my profile that would be great. My ECs are really bothering me.
http://mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?myid=8592
should I bother to expand upon my volunteering activities or will that not matters to adcom this close to the interview?

Personally, I think that your ECs look fine. You're going to do great. Why do you think your ECs are such a problem? They're not. But I guess everyone has to have something to worry about, eh?

Personally, I think that your ECs look fine. You're going to do great. Why do you think your ECs are such a problem? They're not. But I guess everyone has to have something to worry about, eh?

I agree, I mean, you have research, volunteering, and shadowing, a great MCAT, a solid GPA... I'm not really sure how you could really improve your application to be totally honest. While it'd be nice to be first author on a Nature pub, develop the cure for cancer as an undergrad, or deliver babies in Africa, it's not really necessary to get into a great school...

Hi guys,
I would appreciate a look at my application. Should I apply to more schools?
Thanks!

http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?myid=8642

I think if you want the best shot you can get at an MD school, I think that you should apply to more than 15. You might still get in with the MD schools you applied to, but if you've got the dough, why not add some more? You applied to Drexel, so how about Temple and Jefferson? Maybe EVMS (they screen, but I don't recall what the screening requirements are)? VCU (you applied to WVU)? Tulane? George Washington (they get a ton of apps, but so does Georgetown, which you applied to). Those are just some thoughts. Good luck!

?let me know what you think?

Current stats:
Undergrad GPA: 3.38
Science GPA: 3.7 (state school)
MCATs (taken in 2006): 39R
Have Senior Honor's Thesis
1.5 years Undergrad Research 40+hr/wk
8 months Hospital Volunteer 3hr/wk
What school's should I apply to?

?let me know what you think?

Current stats:
Undergrad GPA: 3.38
Science GPA: 3.7 (state school)
MCATs (taken in 2006): 39R
Have Senior Honor's Thesis
1.5 years Undergrad Research 40+hr/wk
8 months Hospital Volunteer 3hr/wk
What school's should I apply to?

Broadly, but include a few top schools and a lot of midtier schools in your list.

Hey, would really appreciate some advice on schools...

Cali grad
semi-nontrad (graduated 04)
GPA BCPM: 3.55, GPA OA: 3.6
MCAT 35 R (V10, P13, B12) (previously had a 30 Q back in 03, not sure how much that matters...)
Lots of research I guess (3 years college + work, currently working as a med. researcher, one poster in college, upcoming publication, hopefully in the next month or two)
Clinical Work (HIV test couneling)
Volunteer (community service work, etc.)
Shadowing
Other EC's

UCD
UCI
UCLA
UCSF
UCSD
Stanford
USC

SUNY-Upstate
SUNY-Downstate
Stony Brook
AECOM
Columbia
Cornell
NYU
Mount Sinai
NYMC

Northwestern
RFU
Pritzker

UPenn
Pitt
Temple
Drexel

UMNDJ-RWJ
UMNDJ-NJMS

OHSU

U Colorado

Georgetown
GW

Dartmouth
Harvard
Yale
Johns Hopkins

Any help/advice would be much appreciated, thanks.

Hey, would really appreciate some advice on schools...

Cali grad
semi-nontrad (graduated 04)
GPA BCPM: 3.55, GPA OA: 3.6
MCAT 35 R (V10, P13, B12) (previously had a 30 Q back in 03, not sure how much that matters...)
Lots of research I guess (3 years college + work, currently working as a med. researcher, one poster in college, upcoming publication, hopefully in the next month or two)
Clinical Work (HIV test couneling)
Volunteer (community service work, etc.)
Shadowing
Other EC's

UCD
UCI
UCLA
UCSF
UCSD
Stanford
USC

SUNY-Upstate
SUNY-Downstate
Stony Brook
AECOM
Columbia
Cornell
NYU
Mount Sinai
NYMC

Northwestern
RFU
Pritzker

UPenn
Pitt
Temple
Drexel

UMNDJ-RWJ
UMNDJ-NJMS

OHSU

U Colorado

Georgetown
GW

Dartmouth
Harvard
Yale
Johns Hopkins

Any help/advice would be much appreciated, thanks.

Your stats seem similar to mine, you might want to check out my list and add/subtract as you see fit...

Hi! I'm applying to several schools in the East and the Midwest. My profile on MDapplicants is http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?myid=8649. The full list of schools to which I am applying includes:

Georgetown
Duke
UChicago
Dartmouth
Emory
Vanderbilt
Wake Forest
UVa
WVU
Jefferson
UPenn
Johns Hopkins
WashU

If anyone has applied to these schools, it would be much appreciated if you could tell me what my chances are for getting accepted to any of them. :) Thanks! Also, feel free to comment on my MDapplicants profile.

Hi! I'm applying to several schools in the East and the Midwest. My profile on MDapplicants is http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?myid=8649. The full list of schools to which I am applying includes:

Georgetown
Duke
UChicago
Dartmouth
Emory
Vanderbilt
Wake Forest
UVa
WVU
Jefferson
UPenn
Johns Hopkins
WashU

If anyone has applied to these schools, it would be much appreciated if you could tell me what my chances are for getting accepted to any of them. :) Thanks! Also, feel free to comment on my MDapplicants profile.

I would add more schools. Your stats are pretty good but I think you should be closer to 20 schools than 10.

Georgetown
Duke
UChicago
Dartmouth
Emory
Vanderbilt
Wake Forest
UVa
WVU
Jefferson
UPenn
Johns Hopkins
WashU

I agree with Drizzt3117. You may get in somewhere with the list you've got, but why not play it safe and add 5 mid-tier schools?

I'm reapplying this year with an overall gpa of 3.47 and like a 3.5 bio gpa. My mcats are 11 10 11 P. I'm gonna be doing research this year for a letter of rec, and I'm gonna be shaddowing a physician who also teaches at UCI medical school. I also plan on spending 2 weeks volunteering in Chile. What schools should I apply to? Should I even waste money to on applying to UCs or the NYUs and Columbias?

I'm reapplying this year with an overall gpa of 3.47 and like a 3.5 bio gpa. My mcats are 11 10 11 P. I'm gonna be doing research this year for a letter of rec, and I'm gonna be shaddowing a physician who also teaches at UCI medical school. I also plan on spending 2 weeks volunteering in Chile. What schools should I apply to? Should I even waste money to on applying to UCs or the NYUs and Columbias?

I'm assuming you checked with some schools last year to find out what might have been missing in your app and have "fixed" it. If so, I think you should definitely "waste money" on the UCs. They're your state schools, and if you do get lucky and get into one, you'll save a bundle. I say give it a shot. While your numbers are a little on the low side for NYU and Columbia, I also think that it's good to throw in some reaches. I think that it sounds like you have a competitive app (make sure you have enough clinical/volunteer experience), but you should apply broadly.

Personally, I figured I'd be basically happy to attend just about any med school, so I picked the majority of my schools by location (or sometimes a specific program or focus I liked). If you like New York, add some other mid-low tier NY schools. Also figure out where else you might be happy for four years. Do you have a preference of a primary/clinicial focus or research/academia? Do you prefer a big city? Warm weather? You can also narrow it down if you're missing calculus or biochem (some schools require these classes, some don't). Also, use MSAR to see which schools take a decent number of OOS applicants. I don't know how broadly you applied last year, but I'd recommend 25 schools to be on the "safe" side as a reapplicant. Good luck!

I'd apply to the UCs... they do you a favor by screening (although it might not seem like it) and you won't have to spend the money for the secondary anyways if they don't find you a competitive candidate (for the most part). I think with your stats you should give them a shot though. I would apply pretty broadly though, 25-30 schools are about right with those stats. Include some reaches because you never know.

The first time I applied I had a 3.7 overall gpa with the same mcat score. I have some clinical and research experience, but what screwed me was a bad letter of rec that I didn't know about till recently--and lax interviews. I wasn't as serious about them as I should have been :( But I was waitlisted at some schools despite the LOR, but was officially rejected from everywhere this week. I really thought I would get in somewhere so I let my grades slack. So I'm really just concerned about my gpa weakening my apps this time. I appreciate your feedback though. It makes me more confident to know the UCs aren't completely out of my reach.

Your stats seem similar to mine, you might want to check out my list and add/subtract as you see fit...

Ah thanks for the advice, yeah it seems that our lists are fairly similar in most regards. I was also just wondering if there's a negative aspect of having "too many" schools (aside from more money, more secondaries, etc.)? I heard (I believe on this forum?) that while they normally don't, some schools/adcoms share info and talk about applicants, and it usually raises a red flag when someone applies to 20-30+ schools. Is there any truth to that?

Ah thanks for the advice, yeah it seems that our lists are fairly similar in most regards. I was also just wondering if there's a negative aspect of having "too many" schools (aside from more money, more secondaries, etc.)? I heard (I believe on this forum?) that while they normally don't, some schools/adcoms share info and talk about applicants, and it usually raises a red flag when someone applies to 20-30+ schools. Is there any truth to that?

I think I've heard that some regional schools may do that (Texas, maybe Chicago, etc.), but they won't know how many exactly unless you tell them. What gets me is that some interviewers ask how many schools you applied to, or where else you applied to. At least, I've heard that they ask that sometimes. But personally, I figure it's better to apply too broadly than not broadly enough. Know what I mean?

Maybe if you have like 3.8/40 you shouldn't be applying to more than 20 schools, but it's generally not bad to apply broadly when you have a lower GPA than the MSAR for many of the schools on your list, even if your MCAT is higher.

Hi everyone. I would like to get a few opinions on my list. Thanks!
  • NY resident - graduated '05
  • GPA: 3.54 (BCPM is 3.44)
  • MCAT: 33M
  • Clinical experience: asthma counselor (1+ yr), health educator (1+ yr)
  • Would love to stay in NYC, if not, at least in the northeast
  • Prefer primary care oriented school
  1. Albany
  2. AECOM
  3. BU
  4. Columbia
  5. Cornell
  6. Drexel
  7. EVMS
  8. GWU
  9. Jefferson
  10. Mount Sinai
  11. NYMC
  12. NYU
  13. Penn State
  14. SUNY Buffalo
  15. SUNY Downstate
  16. SUNY Stony Brook
  17. SUNY Upstate
  18. Temple
  19. Tufts
  20. U of Rochester
  21. U of Vermont

Ummmm... Do you guys think I have a shot at any of the MD/PhD programs I've applied to? Safties don't seem to exist. Any thoughts? (FYI: I'm not really interested in schools with little/no research (Drexel, Temple, Jefferson, Penn St. etc.)

Your list seems pretty good...

Hi everyone. I would like to get a few opinions on my list. Thanks!
  • NY resident - graduated '05
  • GPA: 3.54 (BCPM is 3.44)
  • MCAT: 33M
  • Clinical experience: asthma counselor (1+ yr), health educator (1+ yr)
  • Would love to stay in NYC, if not, at least in the northeast
  • Prefer primary care oriented school
  1. Albany
  2. AECOM
  3. BU
  4. Columbia
  5. Cornell
  6. Drexel
  7. EVMS
  8. GWU
  9. Jefferson
  10. Mount Sinai
  11. NYMC
  12. NYU
  13. Penn State
  14. SUNY Buffalo
  15. SUNY Downstate
  16. SUNY Stony Brook
  17. SUNY Upstate
  18. Temple
  19. Tufts
  20. U of Rochester
  21. U of Vermont

Ummmm... Do you guys think I have a shot at any of the MD/PhD programs I've applied to? Safties don't seem to exist. Any thoughts? (FYI: I'm not really interested in schools with little/no research (Drexel, Temple, Jefferson, Penn St. etc.)

35/3.8+ are good stats, how you'll do in MSTP much of the time depends on the quality of your research, though. No Baylor, Duke?

With your list I would apply to more schools. Probably around 20 total at least. Add schools that you are competitive at with the MSAR.

thankyou. and would i be able to add schools even after i submitted my amcas? and if i do, would it delay processing?

I just submitted my AMCAS today...:( which means I'll have at least another 2 weeks until it's verified. (I was hesitant on deciding whether or not to retake, and decided at the last minute not to.)

I took the MCAT in May: 28M (8 PS, 9 VR, 11 BS)
Overall GPA: 3.84
Science:3.71

ECs:
Laboratory Research (2 summers)
Clinical Research (1 summer)
Hospital Clinic Staff (3 years)
Physician Shadowing
Communications Lab Tutor
Hospital and Rest Home Volunteer

Schools:
Creighton University School of Medicine
Drexel University College of Medicine
Eastern Virginia Medical School
George Washington University Sch of Med & Hlth Sci
Georgetown University School of Medicine
Jefferson Medical Coll. of Thomas Jefferson Univ.
Loma Linda University School of Medicine
Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine
Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science
Saint Louis University School of Medicine
The Ohio State Univ. Coll. of Med. & Pub. Hlth.
Tulane University School of Medicine
University of Utah School of Medicine
Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine

Did I just waste almost $600 in applying so late in the year? :scared:
Do I even have a shot? Or should I still think about retaking soon?

I just submitted my AMCAS today...:( which means I'll have at least another 2 weeks until it's verified. (I was hesitant on deciding whether or not to retake, and decided at the last minute not to.)

ECs:
Physician Shadowing
Communications Lab Tutor

What state are you a resident of? Your state schools will of course be your best shot, so it'd be helpful to know in evaluating your chances.

Why did you decide not to retake? I think you'll be competitive at some schools but that MCAT is a bit low for an app that will probably be verified around the end of this month...

ECs:
Physician Shadowing
Communications Lab Tutor

Schools:
Creighton University School of Medicine
Drexel University College of Medicine
Eastern Virginia Medical School
George Washington University Sch of Med & Hlth Sci
Georgetown University School of Medicine
Jefferson Medical Coll. of Thomas Jefferson Univ.
Loma Linda University School of Medicine
Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine
Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science
Saint Louis University School of Medicine
The Ohio State Univ. Coll. of Med. & Pub. Hlth.
Tulane University School of Medicine
University of Utah School of Medicine
Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine

Hi all....

So here is my situation:
MCAT Jan '07 28M (8 PS, 9 VR, 11 BS, M)
( i hadn't taken my second semester of physics at this point and spent about a month cramming.)
May '07 27R (9 PS, 8 VR, 10 BS, R)
(my bad, i tried to rush into taking it a second time...didn't really study at all due to schoolwork and being in season for golf)

That being said, I have a 3.92 GPA ( 3.92 science, 3.92 everything else), have done 3 semesters of research, about 6 months clinical volunteer, am a phi beta kappa member, student athlete advisory committee member and am a division one collegiate golfer. I am really interested in going to the U of MN, which is in state for me.
I JUST retook the MCAT's yesterday on Aug 6th. I felt more prepared for this one, but i guess we will see. I have a slight case of test anxiety...:(

I've already sent in my AMCAS app and have sent in some secondaries (a few more to go-i applied to neighboring state schools and a couple private schools)...I have to get in somewhere! i've never wanted anything more in my entire life! :oops:

what do you guys think about my chances? pls be honest! :confused:

Hi all....

So here is my situation:
MCAT Jan '07 28M (8 PS, 9 VR, 11 BS, M)
( i hadn't taken my second semester of physics at this point and spent about a month cramming.)
May '07 27R (9 PS, 8 VR, 10 BS, R)
(my bad, i tried to rush into taking it a second time...didn't really study at all due to schoolwork and being in season for golf)

That being said, I have a 3.92 GPA ( 3.92 science, 3.92 everything else), have done 3 semesters of research, about 6 months clinical volunteer, am a phi beta kappa member, student athlete advisory committee member and am a division one collegiate golfer. I am really interested in going to the U of MN, which is in state for me.
I JUST retook the MCAT's yesterday on Aug 6th. I felt more prepared for this one, but i guess we will see. I have a slight case of test anxiety...:(

I've already sent in my AMCAS app and have sent in some secondaries (a few more to go-i applied to neighboring state schools and a couple private schools)...I have to get in somewhere! i've never wanted anything more in my entire life! :oops:

what do you guys think about my chances? pls be honest! :confused:

Mngirl I replied to you in the MCAT thread. Your chances are OK at getting into UMN but would be much better if you improved your MCAT. If you dropped again or got the same score again that wouldn't be a good sign.

What state are you a resident of? Your state schools will of course be your best shot, so it'd be helpful to know in evaluating your chances.

I live in Utah.... but do you still I have a decent shot elsewhere? (Thanks for your help.)

Why did you decide not to retake? I think you'll be competitive at some schools but that MCAT is a bit low for an app that will probably be verified around the end of this month...

Taking some more practice tests didn't show great improvement (28-31), and do I didn't want to risk scoring lower... What schools do you think I would still be competitive at? (Thanks for your help.)

Taking some more practice tests didn't show great improvement (28-31), and do I didn't want to risk scoring lower... What schools do you think I would still be competitive at? (Thanks for your help.)

state of residence?

Utah... but how 'bout elsewhere? I feel like I may have just thrown out $600.

I think you'll have a shot at some of the schools on your list. Difficult to determine which. Your GPA is higher than the MSAR for almost all medical schools in the US, but your MCAT is significantly lower than some of the schools on the list and the PS score is especially troubling. I would have retaken.

I'm sorry, I had to do this: 1000th post!!!

Okay, thanks for the response - you suggested Baylor and Duke? Do you think that they are easier to get into MD/PhD-wise? I was not under that impression...

Status
Not open for further replies.