The Republic of Texas XXVI: Big Trucks, Big Guns, Big Pride

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There's only 45,000 crazy people there any given year who at one point chose the place over UT.

Assuming they all had that choice :smuggrin:.

Man admissions is slow right now. Someone should do a raindance or something.

Members don't see this ad.

No one in their right mind would attend that hell-hole in College Station. There's only 45,000 crazy people there any given year who at one point chose the place over UT. They are all delusional and misguided and will not make anything of themselves. None of them will ever become doctors, lawyers or great engineers.

Go to UT if you want to get into medical school all ye highschool lurkers.
PoML

(Post of my life)

Members don't see this ad :)
the ut posters in this thread epitomize why I had no desire to go to ut.

had I chose engineering, I would have been at aggy.

I chose bioinformatics.

I thought it was interesting that Bush's daughter went to UT instead of A&M.

Ponger, to say that A&M's reputation is as good as UT's is either ignorance or denial. That's not "trolling", that's just stating a fact.

One person's interesting tidbit is another person's inane tidbit. Curious, why would it matter where Bush's daughter went to school? The only possible reason I could think of Jenna Bush having a vested interest in either is the fact that Bush Sr. has his presidential library at A&M. That's it. In fact, a significant reason that Bush Senior's library is at A&M is that UT already has LBJ's library. Neither Bush Sr, Bush Jr. nor Laura Bush went to UT its not like she had legacy anywhere. She made a decision that best suited herself. My neighbor was Jeb Bush's son's roommate at UT. Whoop-di-do.

I don't know what you're basing your attitude of both schools "reputation" on but at least in Texas I've always heard and seen employers and admissions boards don't really discriminate between the two. Don't you think if UT was that much better then the matriculant numbers would be a little more skewed than 54k/45k?

Exactly which engineering fields are considered better at A&M than at UT?

I don't know all that much about engineering but I know that UT's petroleum engineering and electrical engineering programs are rated better than A&M's. Also, on US News they rank UT as a better engineering school in general than A&M.
http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/grad/eng/search

Wow, a whole 1 spot higher. You've convinced me. It's not as if using rankings to rate schools isn't tenuous enough but you're gonna try and argue that 1 place higher in the rankings in any given year means anything? All that does is confirm what I previously thought, that they're close academically.

And according to A&M's website, US N&WR rated A&M 1st in Petroleum Engineering in 2007. The same rankings list said A&M was 2nd in the country in nuclear and agricultural engineering. http://engineering.tamu.edu/about/facts/ . I do believe those rankings are tenuous as well, but there's your evidence that A&M is in fact better in some engineering disciplines and/or has been ranked higher.

Again, I'm not really in favor of one school over the other but it seems like you're unjustly taking a dump on A&M. I have just as many intelligent friends who went to A&M as went to UT.

Why are we even talking about undergrad rankings? Aren't we supposed to be bashing med schools that are unranked on US News?

Why are we even talking about undergrad rankings? Aren't we supposed to be bashing med schools that are unranked on US News?

Eh, I'm just posting to get up to 100 posts, this new member status is really bugging me. I've been registered for almost 4 years now. :mad:

Ponger, to say that A&M's reputation is as good as UT's is either ignorance or denial. That's not "trolling", that's just stating a fact.

what makes it trolling is that every single time it's quiet and peaceful you have to go and make some ridiculous toothbrushery remark... it's like you get off on it, or something.

and, yes, that makes you a troll.

if you think ut is better, then so what... WhoTF cares? there wouldn't be any reason to post that, alone. rather you just wanted to stir up the commotion (to which, unfortunately i'm contributing)

:laugh::thumbup:

had I chose engineering, I would have been at aggy.
I chose bioinformatics.

gobaylor i love having you on the board and all, but i'm just kinda confused why you always write "aggY"... you do know that it's "aggIE", don't you? :confused:

Oh, and just for the record: the biomedical science department at a&m has the highest health-professional school matriculation program in the state.
that and the $$ were the only reasons i stayed in state and went to a&m.

you have to go and make some ridiculous toothbrushery remark... it's like you get off on it, or something.

Oh, I remember the first time I got off on a toothbrush....*Dreamy sigh* :rolleyes:

gobaylor i love having you on the board and all, but i'm just kinda confused why you always write "aggY"... you do know that it's "aggIE", don't you? :confused:

To be fair, it's probably in the same vein as our referring to UT as tu...

just sayin'

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know what you're basing your attitude of both schools "reputation" on but at least in Texas I've always heard and seen employers and admissions boards don't really discriminate between the two. Don't you think if UT was that much better then the matriculant numbers would be a little more skewed than 54k/45k?

The fact that many of the A&M people that post here are stuck going to tech/tcom med tells me otherwise. So does the fact that UT's entering classes are made up by a higher percentage of people in the top ten percent than A&M's. To me that means that the combination of UT's academics and college life is superior to A&M's. Unless you're saying the best and brightest among us are making a bad decision.

In fact, so many people in top ten percent want to go UT that they are trying to pass a law to prevent the top ten percent rule. Are you really going to sit there and tell me that all of these people, who are supposedly the cream of the crop, are choosing an equal or lesser school in UT? I don't think so. These people are choosing UT over A&M because the academics and college life are better.

The fact that many of the A&M people that post here are stuck going to tech/tcom med tells me otherwise. So does the fact that UT's entering classes are made up by a higher percentage of people in the top ten percent than A&M's. To me that means that the combination of UT's academics and college life is superior to A&M's. Unless you're saying the best and brightest among us are making a bad decision.

In fact, so many people in top ten percent want to go UT that they are trying to pass a law to prevent the top ten percent rule. Are you really going to sit there and tell me that all of these people, who are supposedly the cream of the crop, are choosing an equal or lesser school in UT? I don't think so. These people are choosing UT over A&M because the academics and college life are better.

For the record, I don't think most high schoolers are very smart at all; they often make choices just based on "gut feelings," and hey if all their other friends are going to UT, why not them too? To try and pin their decision on any sort of rational decision is just silly.

Honestly, I think that UT vs. A&M is pretty much a wash. Trying to split hairs between the two is pointless; some people like 6th street, others like being Aggies.

Retracted.

Last edited:
How did someone with a 3.31/20 get into UTMB? :confused:

It was a pity admit. Poor dumb Aggies just can't get ahead so we need as much help as we can get.:cry:

Looking more at the data, there is a greater percentage of UT acceptances at places like UT-Southwestern and Baylor than A&M and less percentage of UT acceptances at TECH/TCOM, suggesting that on average a UT applicant was viewed better than an A&M applicant.

The fact that many of the A&M people that post here are stuck going to tech/tcom med tells me otherwise.

kakalak said:
Looking more at the data, there is a greater percentage of UT acceptances at places like UT-Southwestern and Baylor than A&M and less percentage of UT acceptances at TECH/TCOM, suggesting that on average a UT applicant was viewed better than an A&M applicant.

ummm, excuse me!?!?!?!? as one of those people, i must conclude that you you don't know what the heck you're talking about. i CHOSE tech.

not only did i have several other prematches (including UT), but also no one will ever know how "prestigously" i could have matched. there are only a few people on here from A&M and you just happen to consider a tech/tcom rich unstatistical-sample, and start making asinine remarks. grow up.

i'm a pretty easy going person, and even sno doesn't bother me most days... but you sir: :mad:

there are only a few people on here from A&M and you just happen to consider a tech/tcom rich unstatistical-sample, and start making asinine remarks. grow up.

The first remark referring to the posters on SDN was referring to an "unstatistical" sample, but when sean posted the acceptance data from A&M, the comment referring to it was not.

I'm easy going too, but when you deny statistical fact, that's annoying.

OMG, it's like I just walked into the power tool section at Ace Hardware....

Nova: Doctors' Diaries premieres tonight on PBS at 7pm Central Time (check local listings). The program is a 2-part documentary that chronicles the lives of seven young, bright medical students who embarked on the longest and most rigorous endeavor in higher education: the years-long journey to become a doctor. The conclusion airs April 14 at 7pm (central time). For more info... http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/doctors/

Retracted.

Last edited:

You chose against UT because we have pride in our school? That's...weird. It's expected that longhorns are going to give Aggies a hard time and they're gonna give us a hard time back...that's just how it works. Don't be so melodramatic. It's all in good humor.

Due to a large volume of reported posts over the last 12 hours we feel it would be a good idea to ask ya'll (since its texas I get to say that) to please keep a civil tone and try not to chastise one another too much.

Play nice. Southern hospitality and all that jazz.

Right. Maybe something a little more peaceful.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPVmvM2hz7s&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Due to a large volume of reported posts over the last 12 hours we feel it would be a good idea to ask ya'll (since its texas I get to say that) to please keep a civil tone and try not to chastise one another too much.

Play nice. Southern hospitality and all that jazz.

point taken. (puts on smiley face)

though, if you're going to moderate a texas forum and think that it gives you the right to use our slang (which we don't mind: spread the love) please at least have the decency to spell it right:

Y'ALL :D

yes, i'm in a cranky-pants mood :oops:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH OMGROFLMAO AWESOMEZ0RES!

DUDE compare apples to apples. What you have is a list of MATRICULANTS, what I posted was a list of ACCEPTEES.

What I love even more is that you're trying to argue that having more people get into medical school is an indicator of poor education. You're also being incredibly arrogant by using TCOM and Tech as your examples. Good job!

Your failure to deal with the point is noted.

Despite the fact that I'm an idiot and used matriculants v. acceptees, that won't change that a higher percentage of people from UT gained acceptances to Southwestern and Baylor, suggesting that people from UT are better applicants.

What else do we have to measure graduates from a college on? I would say a measure of where they were accepted/matriculated has atleast some value in evaluating the education they recieved because they had to take pre-req classes that taught them the stuff on the MCAT(which has weight on where you're admitted). I think it's safe to assume that if you have great teachers teaching you the pre-reqs you'll do better on the MCAT than someone who wasn't taught as well.

I'm not being arrogant by using TCOM and Tech as examples. Is it not a fact that these schools aren't as good as some of the other schools in Texas? I don't get mad when someone says the school I'm probably going to isn't as good as Southwestern or Baylor because they are. Quit denying reality.

So I say we leave all of this idiotic school comparison garbage behind us and start a new thread. It's way overdue anyway. Anyone got any sweet titles up their sleeves?

I'm not being arrogant by using TCOM and Tech as examples. Is it not a fact that these schools aren't as good as some of the other schools in Texas? quote]

How are you measuring "not as good"? Looking at the MSAR for the texas schools (excluding Baylor and UTSW) the statistics for the accepted applicants are pretty similar for all of the texas schools.

You chose against UT because we have pride in our school? That's...weird. It's expected that longhorns are going to give Aggies a hard time and they're gonna give us a hard time back...that's just how it works. Don't be so melodramatic. It's all in good humor.

the liberal and urban campuses were a huge turnoff as well as the unearned arrogance which ut seems to emanate. It's a good school, but it's students seem to think they are inherently better than everyone else for some reason. Which is where my initial comment came in.

maggie -

aggie = a&m student
aggy = group of a&m students or the student body (still a singular noun though)

I've yet to meet an individual from A&M who wasn't a nice person. Get a group of them together and they are quite insufferable, thus aggy.

Despite the fact that I'm an idiot and used matriculants v. acceptees, that won't change that a higher percentage of people from UT gained acceptances to Southwestern and Baylor, suggesting that people from UT are better applicants.

What else do we have to measure graduates from a college on? I would say a measure of where they were accepted/matriculated has atleast some value in evaluating the education they recieved because they had to take pre-req classes that taught them the stuff on the MCAT(which has weight on where you're admitted). I think it's safe to assume that if you have great teachers teaching you the pre-reqs you'll do better on the MCAT than someone who wasn't taught as well.

I'm not being arrogant by using TCOM and Tech as examples. Is it not a fact that these schools aren't as good as some of the other schools in Texas? I don't get mad when someone says the school I'm probably going to isn't as good as Southwestern or Baylor because they are. Quit denying reality.

It's not a fact; there are actually a couple of regular users in this thread who elected to go to Tech or TCOM over other acceptances for one reason or another. Just because many people (including myself) would not have made that choice doesn't mean it's not a perfectly reasonable choice to some.

So I say we leave all of this idiotic school comparison garbage behind us and start a new thread. It's way overdue anyway. Anyone got any sweet titles up their sleeves?

My two favorites from a previous thread:

The Republic of Texas XXVII: Save a Horse, Ride a Texan
The Republic of Texas XXVII: Curing the Nation of Sissies since 1845 (my vote :))

If a couple more people will back the "sissies" title, I can close this thread down without having to wait for Sno and start the new one :)

It's not a fact; there are actually a couple of regular users in this thread who elected to go to Tech or TCOM over other acceptances for one reason or another. Just because many people (including myself) would not have made that choice doesn't mean it's not a perfectly reasonable choice to some.
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

The Republic of Texas XXVII: Curing the Nation of Sissies since 1845 (my vote :))

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
i'll back it.

I'm not saying this should be the next title, but someone posted 'I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could.' a few pages ago I think.

At first, I actually thought he/she was suggesting a new title lol. It's not bad.

I like the 2nd one too...

Oh and with the whole Tech/TCOM thing... if you lifted the Tech medical school in a tornado like Wizard of Oz and it magically dropped into Houston, Austin, or even Corpus Christie I would imagine a bunch more people would choose it... the program is fabulous it is the LOCATION that most people are turned off by... me however loved it and TURNED DOWN a UT-H interview as an OOS student to go to Texas Tech.

Oh and with the whole Tech/TCOM thing... if you lifted the Tech medical school in a tornado like Wizard of Oz and it magically dropped into Houston, Austin, or even Corpus Christie I would imagine a bunch more people would choose it... the program is fabulous it is the LOCATION that most people are turned off by... me however loved it and TURNED DOWN a UT-H interview as an OOS student to go to Texas Tech.

I'll go ahead and add that I chose Tech over UTHSCSA myself, so the idea that Tech is not perceived as good of a school than the others is more of a myth than the reality.

Oh, and the second thread title suggestion is perfect.

I'm done with this argument. I apologize for ruffling feathers around here.

However, this statement is a little ridiculous. School location is a major factor in choosing a school and has large ramifications. To just throw it out as a criteria for evaluating a school is something I'm not wasting my time trying to discuss with you.

Like you said location is something people don't like about Tech. Why don't we just throw out all the major problems with all schools were comparing? Then they can all be equal.

I'm done with this argument. I apologize for ruffling feathers around here.

However, this statement is a little ridiculous. School location is a major factor in choosing a school and has large ramifications. To just throw it out as a criteria for evaluating a school is something I'm not wasting my time trying to discuss with you.

Obviously you weren't done arguing, eh? :p

Oh where oh where is that new thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.