The "Should I retake? What do my scores mean? Are my scores any good?" Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

omnione

SDN Pharmoderator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:idea:Well, it's that time of the year again when PCAT examinees rush to their mailboxes every day hoping to receive those elusive PCAT score reports.

To assist future PCAT test takers, it would be best if there was one thread where people can view or request other opinions on their own PCAT scores rather than having to search multiple threads with obscure titles. So, here goes (this is a work in progress:))! Please, please, please keep the score reports and "Yay! I got my scores!" to this thread.

Note: If you really know how the scoring works and just want an opinion on your scores, then just go to Section V in the second post in this thread.:)

Thread Outline
I. Your Score Report
II. Your Scores
III. The popular "Are my scores good?" question.
IV. The popular "Do I need to retake the PCAT?" question
V. The Final Verdict
VI. Your Score Versus Your School's Average

I. Your Score Report

You should receive a regular, letter-sized envelope with about a sheet or two of paper. One that them should be a plain sheet with your scores. Basically, this sheet lists each scaled score with the accompanying percentile score for each section followed by your composite score which is a percentile based on the averaged scale score from the five sections. You will see your writing score separate from the other sections. Rather self-explanatory to me......

II. Your Scores

You mostly want to focus on your percentile rank, most particularly the composite score. That is the number that adcoms focus on during the primary review that determines if you get an interview. Some schools may go in-depth into your scores, but that composite score is the first tell.

Just as a reminder, your percentile score distinguishes your performance from examinees from a 1998-2003 standard testing group. However, adcoms compare your score to everyone in their applicant pool. Simply put, a 70th percentile means that you performed better than about 70% of the examinees during the aforementioned 1998-2003 period. The higher the score, the better off you will be.

Addendum: There have been many questions on SDN inquiring about the nature of the three-digit scaled scores one finds on the score report and how that score is used to get one's percentile score. To be honest, nobody outside of relations with Harcourt understands the system or even the true number of questions needed to earn a 90th percentile or any other score. Perhaps this is best explained in a hypothetical situation. After each exam, Harcourt examines the pool of test takers and derives a scale that corresponds to a scaled score. One earns a certain scaled score based on the number of correct questions answered. This scale is different between examinations and between sections to account for the slight differences in difficulty across test dates and perhaps even test forms within the same testing date. Te scaled score one gets corresponds to the aforementioned 1998-2003 pool. Based on past research on this forum, it seems that a 400 in any section will result in a 50th percentile and a 430 is "worth" the same for every testing date for example. Therefore, one is being compared to that standard testing group but any changes in the exam now versus back then is accounted for through the derivation of a new scale that accounts for that. It's just that the number of correct questions needed to earn a certain scaled score fluctuates and is determined for each PCAT administration separately. So, nobody really knows how many questions need to be answered correctly in order to be in a certain percentile.

III. The popular "Are my scores good?" question.

The most prevalent question that examinees have after receiving their scores is whether the scores are good enough for admission into pharmacy school. That leads to the corollary question to whether the examinee should retake the PCAT. Before we continue, it's best to establish some guidelines. The criteria I am about to present is not a strict rule. It is based on generalizations of PCAT worthiness at schools. This is just advice.

First of all, averages are just that = averages. Just because you don't make your school's PCAT average doesn't mean your application is doomed. People get in with low PCAT scores due to a number of reasons, like:
  • Having a high GPA with great pharmacy experience and LORs
  • Having a great interview
  • ..and...having great "contacts" in the adcom, like a dad or someone
If one looked at the PCAT score distribution at each school, it would probably resemble something like a grade distribution we often see after taking an exam. That is, a few students get As, many get around Bs to Ds with the peak at Cs or the average and/or median score, and a few fantastically bomb the exam. So for competitive PCAT scores, you do have to meet the average score for competitiveness, you want to literally be in the middle of the pack. Sure, you want your scores to stand out, but the answer to the question "Are my PCAT scores good enough" simply asks whether your scores are a liability on your application making a retake of the PCAT prudent and advisable.

So, I think a better gauge for "competitiveness" is through the competitive range. Simply put, this range represents the majority of the school's incoming class. Ideally, you want a score that is at least in the range occupied by the middle 50% of students that takes out the top 25% PCAT students that get in and the bottom 25% who get in due to the other factors I mentioned earlier. Since each school has different distributions, I roughly set a range of five percentiles plus or minus the school's PCAT average. So for a school with an average of 80, the competitive range is about 75-85. Your score is competitive in that range, but it doesn't stand out from other applications nor is it a blemish on your application. Remember, I am speaking in general.

IV. The popular "Do I need to retake the PCAT?" question

You need to consider your whole package as it affects the answer to this question:
  • Your stats (GPA, pharmacy hours worked) and LORs
  • Your interpersonal ability needed for an effective interview
  • Your writing skills (PCAT writing score, school-specific essays, PS)
  • Your "contacts"
If you have greatness in the above, than having a lower than competitive PCAT won't hurt as much versus the average applicant. If you lack some of the above, then you probably need a higher PCAT to compensate. For the purposes of this thread, we'll just consider how the scores look without any influence from other factors.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Ok so here goes:

My percentiles:
Verbal:71
Biology:58
Reading:43
Quantitative:81
Chem:78
Composite:71

Conventions of language : 4.0 (mean 2.90)
Problem Solving : 4.0 (mean 2.93)

I'm not sure if i should take this again in October. I can never get into the passages because they are always boring.

I have my BS in Chemistry with a GPA of 3.8 and science GPA of 3.8, with about four months of pharmacy experience (pharm tech). I also did some research college as well as some extracurricular activities (good ones)
I have targeted U. of Cincinnati, Temple, Hampton, MCPHS, and SUNY @ Buffalo. What do you guys think?

I was wondering what is considered a really "bad" score in a science section. Here was my results:

verbal--61
bio--58
reading--63
quantitative--98
chem--99
Composite--94

Personally I have absolutely no confidence that I would get a 94 again because I was totally expecting somewhere around 60-70 overall.

Verbal is a lost cause for me to improve on but I could try on the bio and reading. However, I dont think I can pull off such a high score on math and chem again.

Okay Here are my scores:(:

Verbal: 402..............51
Biology: 403..............53
Reading: 407..............57
Q.A.: 397..............36
Chemistry: 398..............42

Composite: 401..............45

Writing Scores: 3/3

I know these are bad. I just wanted to see your feedback.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey
I am registered for the PCAT in October
Here is the breakdown for January
Verbal - 71
Bio - 96
Reading - 60
Math - 55
Chem - 65
Total - 78

Math screwed me because I haven't seen it in 6 years, but just got done with Precal and taking trig in the fall, and need to spend more time on organic

Should I retake? Again I am registered for october but don't want to do it again

I really want to get into UF and Nova are my top choices
Although I am applying to Creighton, UNC Chapel Hill, UK, Albany, PBA, Mercer, and Upitt
My GPA is a 3.8 overall, a 3.76 (probably go up after my last semester) and a 3.82 overall
Double major Psychobiology and History
1.5 pharm tech experience
6 months in drug research
good work experience - worked on a science grant as a project coordinator, might be getting another job in research now (we shall see)
good EC's - relay for life, organic tutor, biostats volentering work, couple of clubs at my university

I just want some advice

Sorry but I really don't want to deal with the PCAT again and if I can avoid it and get my money back then better, its just a stressful time and I have no one to really discuss with me this application process.

Science science science...get back to work and read ur ass off on chem, bio and math. Your verbal n comprehension wouldn't matter if you had 90+ on sciences. Writing is adequate so just get on the science, buy books or take the kaplan course as a supplemental source of help...goodluck

verbal 36
reading 50
Quantitative 73
biology 93
chemistry 99

composite 88

Writing scores: 4 and 3.5 avg. = 2.9

Will my verbal and reading scores really look bad.. even though the rest is decent and composite isnt too bad... is worth taking the test again just to bring those two up?

when u guys took the practice... wat did u usually get.. wat do u think a 31/48 wud be in percentile..

Sorry, but time for me to post my "Should I retake" post.
I scored:
Verbal- 89%
Bio- 96%
Reading- 52%
Quant- 92%
Chem- 98%
Composite- 95%
Writing- 3/3

Adding to this I have an accum. GPA of around 3.75, with a science GPA of around the same. So far I have what should be two strong LOR's from two professors, although I have not decided on a third or fourth LOR yet. My work experience includes: working in the chem lab at my school since I was a freshman (now a senior); tutoring in chem, physics, and math (got paid for it last year, now volunteering); worked at a pizza place for 2+ years, a manager for a little over one year; and as an intern at a major pharmaceutical manufacturer since May, in both the Quality Control (chem) and Microbiology (current) departments. I really do not have any real experience in a pharmacy, which I feel is what really hurts me.
Concerning my PCAT scores, I was acually very impressed in my biology section, but saddened by the reading and quant grades. I really didn't have any time to study for the PCAT, and I do not feel that I could achieve such a high score again. I do worry that this low reading score will hurt me. I also think that since I am just finishing up my PharmCAS now, I need top tier credentials.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am already signed up for the Oct. PCAT, but I am not sure if I should take it. I do not have much time to study for it with my current classes.
I am also stuck in trying to find Pharmacy experience. Whenever I ask a pharmacy if I can volunteer, they usually say they have never heard of a pharmacy volunteer, or that the current HIPAA laws don't really encourage it. Any suggestions?
The schools I would like to apply to are in my sig, anyone have any insight to my shots at getting in?
I would like to thank everyone for their help, and I hope to post on here some more!

I scored:
Verbal- 89%
Bio- 96%
Reading- 52%
Quant- 92%
Chem- 98%
Composite- 95%
Writing- 3/3

Adding to this I have an accum. GPA of around 3.75, with a science GPA of around the same. So far I have what should be two strong LOR's from two professors, although I have not decided on a third or fourth LOR yet. My work experience includes: working in the chem lab at my school since I was a freshman (now a senior); tutoring in chem, physics, and math (got paid for it last year, now volunteering); worked at a pizza place for 2+ years, a manager for a little over one year; and as an intern at a major pharmaceutical manufacturer since May, in both the Quality Control (chem) and Microbiology (current) departments. I really do not have any real experience in a pharmacy, which I feel is what really hurts me.
Concerning my PCAT scores, I was acually very impressed in my biology section, but saddened by the reading and quant grades. I really didn't have any time to study for the PCAT, and I do not feel that I could achieve such a high score again. I do worry that this low reading score will hurt me. I also think that since I am just finishing up my PharmCAS now, I need top tier credentials.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am already signed up for the Oct. PCAT, but I am not sure if I should take it. I do not have much time to study for it with my current classes.
I am also stuck in trying to find Pharmacy experience. Whenever I ask a pharmacy if I can volunteer, they usually say they have never heard of a pharmacy volunteer, or that the current HIPAA laws don't really encourage it. Any suggestions?
The schools I would like to apply to are in my sig, anyone have any insight to my shots at getting in?
I would like to thank everyone for their help, and I hope to post on here some more!

From the great post on the first page of this thread:

95-99 = 100% Definitely Keep: If you want to ask whether you should retake the PCAT with a score here, don’t.

From the great post on the first page of this thread:<br />
<br />
95-99 = 100% Definitely Keep: If you want to ask whether you should retake the PCAT with a score here, don't.

Well the application process is subjective, PCAT scores alone don't matter. The other factors might require me to have a better score. Thanks for the thoughtful reply though.

From the great post on the first page of this thread:<br />
<br />
95-99 = 100% Definitely Keep: If you want to ask whether you should retake the PCAT with a score here, don't.

Well the application process is subjective, PCAT scores alone don't matter. The other factors might require me to have a better score. Thanks for the thoughtful reply though.

I agree that the process is subjective, but there's essentially no difference between a 95 and 99. Check to see if the schools you're applying to look at subscores instead of composite. If the school only looks at composite, which I think the majority do, there's no need to retake it. Even if the schools do look at subscores, they are usually most lenient on verbal and reading, so there's probably still no need to retake it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here are My august scores, first time taking. Last took biology in 2004, havent taken chemistry since 2000! (taking Orgo I again now!). Took Cal I last semester and some more Cal this semester

verbal 422/81
Biology 447/96
Reading 404/52
Quant 412/62
Chem 395/37 (yes, a 37%)
Composit 416/74

I think my strategy for the next 3 weeks is chemistry chemistry chemistry... 3 days before the test I am doing nothing but Pre-tests to review over everything. Math should be better this time because I know more what to expect. I have an instructor in my chem class who got a 96% (on chem subsection, 91 comp) who may help me review everything as well. I think my lack of time in chem kicked me in the butt, but I felt okay. It's possible I could have misbubbled as well. I have no IDEA how I got a 74 comp with that low of a chem score! Thoughts, suggestions, praying for a miracle here. Least I already planned on retaking and I know where I stand!

Thanks

Here it goes..1st time taking it. Disappointed in my science scores and have read mixed things about how schools treat scores. Since I don't have much experience with this, I thought maybe I could get another opinion.

Verbal 415/72
Biology 411/66
Reading Comprehension 438/92
Quantitative 415/67
Chemistry 421/76

Composite 420/80

GPA around 3.4, science gpa same..actually should be a little higher because I'm set to get A's in the prereqs I'm taking this quarter. Only shadowing experience. Have worked in research, including an internship with a major pharmaceutical company..one of my LORs is from my boss there and its very good. Have a bunch of ECs but none really pharm related, did volunteer at a nursing home for a summer. Thanks in advance.

This was my second time taking the PCAT, and I think I'm happier with last PCAT scores (lower composite included). Here they are:

Subject / August 2008 / August 2007

Verbal Ability / 415 (74) / 442 (95)
Biology / 404 (60) / 408 (61)
Reading Comp / 411 (67) / 432 (88)
Quant. Ability / 406 (64) / 409 (57)
Chemistry / 417 (78) / 401 (47) (I don't know how this happened)
Composite / 411 (72) / 418 (77)

Conventions of Language / 3.0 / 2.0
Problem Solving / 3.0 / 2.0

I had the same essay as last year's, it totally tripped me up because I spent too much time trying to remember what I originally wrote to get the three's. The first time I took the PCAT last I year I winged it, practically no studying. This time around I studied for 2 months, and took the kaplan course. I've already signed up for Oct. 18th PCAT, its in a couple weeks. Should I just concentrate on chem and math???? Or should I even retake??

Should I retake? I thought I had done a lot worse on the math. Don't know if I can pull a new score > 92.

Verbal Ability xxx/85
Biology xxx/94
Reading Comprehension xxx/75
Quantitative Ability xxx/87
Chemistry xxx/90
Composite xxx/92

Writing Scores
Conventions of Language 3
Problem Solving 3

My GPA is 2.85 :(. Had a good freshman year, but rough sophopmore/junior including a few withdraws. Past year is good. Most bad grades from engineering courses. A Gen Chem, A/B+ Calc1/2, B+ Phys, B/C+ Bio, AB/B-/B O Chem, A Physiology, As in labs.

So, should I retake? Would it hurt a lot if I score lower?

Don't beat your self up too much hun. Life HAPPENS!!!! My Pharmcas calculated gpa will be just a bit lower than yours, by my estimation about a 2.82. I would hazard to say that your score is fairly competitive. (trade you my chem score:laugh: j/k) It also depends on what schools you are applying to and how many. Your scores are fairly decent....If I had em, I wouldn't retake.

Don't beat your self up too much hun. Life HAPPENS!!!! My Pharmcas calculated gpa will be just a bit lower than yours, by my estimation about a 2.82. I would hazard to say that your score is fairly competitive. (trade you my chem score:laugh: j/k) It also depends on what schools you are applying to and how many. Your scores are fairly decent....If I had em, I wouldn't retake.

see, your post is giving me some hope. im really afraid that my gpa will really really hurt me. pharmcas hasnt calculated my gpa yet...my school gpa is like a 2.86, but that does not account for the A's i got both semesters in community college for physics. my composite for the PCAT was 83 (somehow got that with a 35 in reading) and my writing were 4/4. i look more like a liberal arts major...jk.

I scored:
Verbal- 89%
Bio- 96%
Reading- 52%
Quant- 92%
Chem- 98%
Composite- 95%
Writing- 3/3

I'm sorry you can't get any pharmacy experience, really.

I must ask - are you dyslexic? You have a 95, not a 59 along with a very high GPA.

I scored 85 in bio, chem and quantitative but very very low in verbal and reading 10 percentile. If I retake the PCAT and I score well, how would the previous scores affect my application??

I am so demoralized right now... :( What study materials or tactics are out there to help me with the verbal and reading!!!

Please help, really appreciated!!

Okay, this is my first time posting in this forum but I was wondering whether or not I should retake after getting my results today.

Chem -98 percentile
Quant. Ability- 98 percentile
Reading comp- 62 percentile
Biology- 94 percentile
Verbal- 92 percentile

Composite: 97 percentile

I'm worried about the reading comp. Any ideas what I should do?

I'm sorry you can't get any pharmacy experience, really.

I must ask - are you dyslexic? You have a 95, not a 59 along with a very high GPA.

Not dyslexic, more like apprehensive/nervous. I have realized not to worry about my low reading score since the others were fairly high. I would still like to get some experience in a pharmacy before any interviews (granted I do get interviews). Till then I am just going to keep looking, and hopefully something works out right :]

Okay, this is my first time posting in this forum but I was wondering whether or not I should retake after getting my results today.

Chem -98 percentile
Quant. Ability- 98 percentile
Reading comp- 62 percentile
Biology- 94 percentile
Verbal- 92 percentile

Composite: 97 percentile

I'm worried about the reading comp. Any ideas what I should do?

If you aren't worried about your reading score, then what are you worried about? This was worse than mine, and now I see how it makes people feel!

What happens when you score ok on the First Pcat then bomb the second retake??

Had a lot going on scored badly on the second one, but decent on the first one taken a year ago...???

What happens when you score ok on the First Pcat then bomb the second retake??

Had a lot going on scored badly on the second one, but decent on the first one taken a year ago...???
I think some schools take your best scores from the tests, some schools take the best PCAT, and some schools average them. You should probably call the school that you're interested in going to because I don't think anyone here can give you a definite answer.

I'm applying to Wayne State University.. (well, was GOING to)

my PCAT score:
verbal: 36
bio: 71
reading: 52
math: 81
chem:58
compo:62

and as of now, my GPA is between 3.5-3.6..... is there anybody applying to wayne state?? Should I even bother doing it???? :S I'm so devastated. OCt PCAT was the last chance to get int othe 2009 cycle!

Hello all. I'm a sophomore at Saint John Fisher and I'm about to apply to the pharm program at Saint John Fisher and University of Buffalo. My overall GPA is a 3.43 and my science GPA is a 3.25. However, that is only based on my first two semesters. My first semester I had a 3.85 (all A- and one A), but the second semester i had a B+ in chemistry and a C+ in zoology. My grades are much better this semester. I have a good amount of pharmacy experience, as I have worked in both a local pharmacy, as well as a hospital.

I just got my October PCAT test scores back. verbal 86, bio 56, comprehension 75, math, 81, chem 84, composite 82

So where do I stand in terms of getting accepted?

Multiple-Choice Scores:::Scaled Score::::percentile Rank

Verbal Ability 407/60
Biology 440/94
Reading Comprehension 394/35--Don't like:thumbdown:
Quantitative Ability 423/78
Chemistry 429/84
Composite 419/79

Jan '08 Comp--64
OCt -07 comp--47
Jan 06 comp-23

Writing Scores
Conventions of Language 3.0
Problem Solving 3.0

My stats are in my signature, this is my second cycle of application. Last year, i was rejected everywhere expect mcphs-boston who placed me on a waiting list but now i want to make sure i get accepted in all the places i applied to. I have taken PCAt 4-times and this is the highest i have gotten to which makes me really sad even though i av a BS in biochem. Although i'm hopeful, something tells me that i'm not all that favored with my repititive pcat failures. Pls buttress my situation and enlighten me on what to do, where to focus, my best chance and what to expect. Thanks for the inputs:xf:

Hi everyone, this is my first time posting. I'm from BC and I recieved my scores today here they are

verbal 398/45:scared:
biology 425/84
reading comp 404/52:scared:
quant 426/81
chem 433/87

comp 417/76

writing scores: 3/3

I'm registered for the january pcat wondering if any one has any input as to whether i should retake it or not...

Hi everyone, this is my first time posting. I'm from BC and I recieved my scores today here they are

verbal 398/45:scared:
biology 425/84
reading comp 404/52:scared:
quant 426/81
chem 433/87

comp 417/76

writing scores: 3/3

I'm registered for the january pcat wondering if any one has any input as to whether i should retake it or not...

Was this your first time taking it? Also, do the schools you are applying to accept the January Pcat for this admissions cycle. The good thing is that the scores bringing your composite down are the rc and verbal, not your sciences and math. Taking it again, along with now knowing how you HAVE to pace yourself with the test may result in a higher score. Just take several practice tests before hand.

Good Luck, Treat

Multiple-Choice Scores:::Scaled Score::::percentile Rank

Verbal Ability 407/60
Biology 440/94
Reading Comprehension 394/35--Don't like:thumbdown:
Quantitative Ability 423/78
Chemistry 429/84
Composite 419/79

Jan '08 Comp--64
OCt -07 comp--47
Jan 06 comp-23

Writing Scores
Conventions of Language 3.0
Problem Solving 3.0

My stats are in my signature, this is my second cycle of application. Last year, i was rejected everywhere expect mcphs-boston who placed me on a waiting list but now i want to make sure i get accepted in all the places i applied to. I have taken PCAt 4-times and this is the highest i have gotten to which makes me really sad even though i av a BS in biochem. Although i'm hopeful, something tells me that i'm not all that favored with my repititive pcat failures. Pls buttress my situation and enlighten me on what to do, where to focus, my best chance and what to expect. Thanks for the inputs:xf:

I would say your steady improvement on the pcat should get you some more interviews this year. Your math/science subscores are the highest which helps you more than the verbal/rc. Your current pcat scores put you in a more competitive situation than you have been in previously, although there seems to be a correlation in acceptance as to pcat/gpa score. And the positive side is you were waitlisted and you are reapplying again. Determination should be a positive affect as well.

Good luck, Treat

Was this your first time taking it? Also, do the schools you are applying to accept the January Pcat for this admissions cycle. The good thing is that the scores bringing your composite down are the rc and verbal, not your sciences and math. Taking it again, along with now knowing how you HAVE to pace yourself with the test may result in a higher score. Just take several practice tests before hand.

Good Luck, Treat

thanks treat, this was my first time taking it and the school i'm applying to does take the january pcat. The thing is they take the most recent score rather than the better one and i've seen people score worse the second time around so im a little worried that I might do worse that would really suck.

Science science science...get back to work and read ur ass off on chem, bio and math. Your verbal n comprehension wouldn't matter if you had 90+ on sciences. Writing is adequate so just get on the science, buy books or take the kaplan course as a supplemental source of help...goodluck

Does verbal really not matter? I mean...here goes my score:

Verbal&#12288;&#12288;&#12288;15%&#12288;(YES, 15%)
Reading&#12288; &#12288;62%
Chemistry&#12288; 97%
Biology &#12288;&#12288; 98%
Math&#12288;&#12288;&#12288; 98%
Writing&#12288;&#12288;&#12288;2.75 for both

Composite&#12288;83%

I would be very very very very very happy if verbal really doesn't matter.

I knew that my verbal is not strong at all before the exam, by studying the pratice questions, so I spent most of my time studying the verbal section. My biggest problem was that I do not regonize many vocabulary from the questions, and thus unable to make any analogy. I tried to work around it by memorizing vocabs from pratice exams and GRE books.

Guess that didn't help at all. I still did not know what most vocabs in that section meant. God, I have absolute no confidence that I would have a chance to do any better then 15% in verbal if I retake PCAT....

The school I am applying is UT, and I am currently in their pharmaceutical chemistry class, taking their pharmacy courses under a different name. I just wrote the finals on those courses..and the exams felt good. Please please make that an advantage for me...

Oh, and it seems like they have not decided on how to accept applicants based on PCAT score. At least that is what I was told. But they also did tell me that they look for minimum scores in sections...

Last edited:
This post is not to bash the person who posted the "ranking" of the PCAT scores. It was a good attempt to quantify a nerve racking test. But reading through the percentiles I felt the need to bring people back to the main reason for taking the test. In order to give myself cred...I am in pharmacy school (one of the top five) to toot a horn. But who cares! Doing well on the PCAT or having a high GPA did nothing more than keep me from being tossed out in the first round. Look at it this way...a pharmacy school has a minimum...if you pass that "weed out" process then you need to focus on bigger fish. Articulating exactly why you are the candidate "they" are looking for is more important. I will tell everyone I meet; I spent more time on my PharmCAS and supplemental essays than time spent studying for the PCAT! You could take it to the nth power and it still wouldn't match up.

I have my own convictions for becoming a pharmacist and believe me...if you think you can sit down in front of a veteran of the practice and bull**** them...you are up for a rude awakening. Here are the facts, I have a 3.26 GPA, got a 76 overall on the PCAT (with a 35 on reading!) and people tried to convince me I wouldn't make it. I did start a pre-pharmacy club, did research, worked as a technician and tried to learn the practice. We had a girl in our pre-pharmacy club who was one of the smartest in the department (honor student with a 4.0, and 95 on PCAT). She was placed on the wait list, why? Because after talking to her about the interview and the questions she was asked, she was unable to account for what she had put down on paper.

I have friends that served as students on the admissions board and they comment on the repeated rejections they had to send out to 4.0's. Mind you this is at one of the premiere pharmacy schools in the nation. Not all 4.0's are this way but typically and more relevantly, there is little substance to these applicants (speaking for some on the actual admissions board). Focus on learning the profession and certainly get a job in the field prior to applying to improve your chances. After all, how do you know you want to be a pharmacist without actually working in one?!

The moral here, I am far from the smartest guy in the room, but I can rival anyone on my aptitude or convictions for wanting to become a pharmacist. I did so not because of the application process, but to hopefully be at an ailing patient's bedside and have the spirit to look them (and their family) in the eye and give all my knowledge to help see them through. Trust me, if you make it in... and start practicing...you will be presented with this type of situation (could be an APPE or actual job). Pharmacy is a practice; it is a practice that many people confide in and consider one of the most trusted healthcare professions. So although it is important to do reasonably well academically, there are some things you can't BS. Therefore, get through the weed out and focus on articulating your reasons for becoming a pharmacist. You will find not only the interviews are easier, but a see your own remedial reasoning for undertaking an immense responsibility. Good luck!

Here are the facts, I have a 3.26 GPA, got a 76 overall on the PCAT (with a 35 on reading!) and people tried to convince me I wouldn't make it.

Whoa, same boat im in...may I ask where you go?

here are my scores from August/October

Verbal 92/92
Bio 88/94
RC 35/35
QA 83/85
Chem 76/90
Comp 83/89

Writing 4-4 / 3-3

i got an email from Shenandoah today saying that i have to retake my PCATs because my reading comp did not make the minimum requirement of 45 for each subsection. however when evaluating PCAT scores, shenandoah only takes your best set of scores. basically if my composite goes down, but my RC goes, up they still wont count it. im so... FRUSTRATED

Verbal: 65 :(
Bio: 76
Reading: 75
Math: 81
Chem: 80
Comp: 80
Writing: 3,3 =>2.79 avg

cGPA:3.2 :oops:
sGPA:3.2:oops:
B.S. Biology

3.5 years hospital pharmacy experience as senior technician and volunteer for my Church.

I applied to Howard University, should I retake pcat in Jan b/c my gpa bites? Also, what min score on pcat would be enough to overshadow my low gpa?

Last edited:
I applied to Howard University, should I retake pcat in Jan b/c my gpa bites? Also, what min score on pcat would be enough to overshadow my low gpa?

you shouldnt be too worried. i have a 2.9 and i got an interview at howard. my pcat was a 89, and i had gotten a 35 in reading comp

I think that score would be fine as the composite is probably in the 80s at least. Verbal is probably the most controversial section on the PCAT given the questions about analogies and sentence completions. Also, it's rather difficult to get a huge increase in verbal by taking the PCAT again just months after said earlier PCAT. Verbal skills are more indirectly acquired versus the other sections where you can at least study more to improve your grade.

Hey i'm new to the site, I took the PCAT in June and was wondering how these scores look. I have a 3.84 GPA, a chemistry major with biochem emphasis. worked at an independent pharmacy for 160 hours.

Verbal 81
Biology 79
Reading Comprehension 38 ***
Quantitative Ability 77
Chemistry 90
Compositte 80

Convention of Language 3.0
Problem Solving 3.0

Should I retake the PCATs?

This post is not to bash the person who posted the "ranking" of the PCAT scores. It was a good attempt to quantify a nerve racking test. But reading through the percentiles I felt the need to bring people back to the main reason for taking the test. In order to give myself cred...I am in pharmacy school (one of the top five) to toot a horn. But who cares! Doing well on the PCAT or having a high GPA did nothing more than keep me from being tossed out in the first round. Look at it this way...a pharmacy school has a minimum...if you pass that "weed out" process then you need to focus on bigger fish. Articulating exactly why you are the candidate "they" are looking for is more important. I will tell everyone I meet; I spent more time on my PharmCAS and supplemental essays than time spent studying for the PCAT! You could take it to the nth power and it still wouldn't match up.

I have my own convictions for becoming a pharmacist and believe me...if you think you can sit down in front of a veteran of the practice and bull**** them...you are up for a rude awakening. Here are the facts, I have a 3.26 GPA, got a 76 overall on the PCAT (with a 35 on reading!) and people tried to convince me I wouldn't make it. I did start a pre-pharmacy club, did research, worked as a technician and tried to learn the practice. We had a girl in our pre-pharmacy club who was one of the smartest in the department (honor student with a 4.0, and 95 on PCAT). She was placed on the wait list, why? Because after talking to her about the interview and the questions she was asked, she was unable to account for what she had put down on paper.

I have friends that served as students on the admissions board and they comment on the repeated rejections they had to send out to 4.0's. Mind you this is at one of the premiere pharmacy schools in the nation. Not all 4.0's are this way but typically and more relevantly, there is little substance to these applicants (speaking for some on the actual admissions board). Focus on learning the profession and certainly get a job in the field prior to applying to improve your chances. After all, how do you know you want to be a pharmacist without actually working in one?!

The moral here, I am far from the smartest guy in the room, but I can rival anyone on my aptitude or convictions for wanting to become a pharmacist. I did so not because of the application process, but to hopefully be at an ailing patient's bedside and have the spirit to look them (and their family) in the eye and give all my knowledge to help see them through. Trust me, if you make it in... and start practicing...you will be presented with this type of situation (could be an APPE or actual job). Pharmacy is a practice; it is a practice that many people confide in and consider one of the most trusted healthcare professions. So although it is important to do reasonably well academically, there are some things you can't BS. Therefore, get through the weed out and focus on articulating your reasons for becoming a pharmacist. You will find not only the interviews are easier, but a see your own remedial reasoning for undertaking an immense responsibility. Good luck!

I agree.

I just took the PCAT yesterday, I don't think I did too well :S I was getting a composite score in the 80s with the practice PCAT tests on their site, but I think I got around 70-75 at best..

My GPA is around 3.8 (only one term of uni done)
With my GPA and a score like my prediction, does it look like I'm in the competitive range?

I would definitely retake this after studying. Focus your efforts on Bio, chem and math. If you ran out of time in the math section then you need to practice skipping harder questions. If you have time, study for verbal and reading. Use Kaplan if you haven't already done so.

this is the first time i've taken the PCAT so i'm not sure if my scores are considered competitive:

verbal: 428......86
biology: 484.....99
RC: 419...........75 :(
QA: 412...........62 :(
Chemistry: 426..81
Composite: 434..94

writing: 3/3

should i be worried about my RC and QA sections?

Hi,

I'm not sure if I should post here, but I would like any advice or opinions about my situation. I graduated from Reed College with a 2.97 GPA. Reed has no grade inflation, in fact, they are proud of the fact only 1 or 2 people in a class get an A. As a result my overall GPA is around 3.17 and I graduated in 1999. However, my PCAT composite is 99% with all scores around 95% - 98%. I've taken some prerequisites within the last year and have gotten all As. Will a good PCAT score compensate for my poor grades?

Thanks

this is the first time i've taken the PCAT so i'm not sure if my scores are considered competitive:

verbal: 428......86
biology: 484.....99
RC: 419...........75 :(
QA: 412...........62 :(
Chemistry: 426..81
Composite: 434..94

writing: 3/3

should i be worried about my RC and QA sections?

you are fine. I got a 92 with 3 of the sections in the 60s lol. You are good.

Here are my scores.... the problem is I have an 2/5 for one of the writing scores, not only that my other language skills are pretty weak, can't believe I only got a 75 in reading comprehension. Do I even have any chance of getting into pharamacy with this? I'm applying to the University of Toronto

Verbal 86
Biology 88
Reading Comprehension 75
Quantitative Ability 79
Chemistry 93
Composite 90

Convention of Language 2.0 (mean 2.8)
Problem Solving 3.0 (mean 2.8)

PS: I'm from Canada so I don't know my exact GPA, my average is about 86

Last edited:
Hi guys, I was just wondering whether I would have to take PCAT again or not. Please lend me some suggestions here.

JAN 2009 PCAT

Verbal- 18
Reading Comp- 18
Biology- 76
Chemistry-88
Quants-83
Writing Score-3
Composite-60

I am already a registered pharmacist in India. US Equivalent is BS Pharm Sci. My GPA is 3.86. I am pursuing MBA in healthcare mgmt rt now and GPA for that is 4. Do ya'll think I should retake the test. Or can anybody suggest some pharmacy college matching my profile. Appreciate it in advance.

Last edited: