The ultimate COVID thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
no no, he hasn’t followed one recommendation from advisors. That’s exactly what you meant. Don’t back track
You're really missing the forest for the trees. Fine, that was hyperbolic, but it does not at all change the fact that he is an enormous failure

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
how cute, CNN our this together?

Not surprised to see you care more about who made it (btw, wapo as it says right at the bottom) than whether trump actually made all those *****ic, dismissive statements (he did) at a time when it wasn't too late to act.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I’m not saying zero media sources criticized the Italian PM, but kinda interesting today this is the first time I’ve heard it mentioned. Wonder if he “didn’t listen to any of his advisors” :)

Members don't see this ad :)
You're really missing the forest for the trees. Fine, that was hyperbolic, but it does not at all change the fact that he is an enormous failure

still back tracking huh?

yes there have been some trump shortcomings with the pandemic

but answer me this, is it proportional to the media’s coverage?

I’m not saying zero media sources criticized the Italian PM, but kinda interesting today this is the first time I’ve heard it mentioned. Wonder if he “didn’t listen to any of his advisors” :)

With a pandemic in America, I’m more concerned about what the American president says and does. But you’re right to be concerned about Italy. What’s going on there is tragic.

Not surprised to see you care more about who made it (btw, wapo as it says right at the bottom) than whether trump actually made all those *****ic, dismissive statements (he did) at a time when it wasn't too late to act.
I think its telling that for the last year or two you and I have disagreed about most things political but are on about the same page in terms of our feelings about the Federal response to this.

And yet we still have a few people here who feel that everything was done just fine and Trump bears no responsibility for any of this (or so I assume based on your responses, I placed them on my ignore list awhile back).

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
I think its telling that for the last year or two you and I have disagreed about most things political but are on about the same page in terms of our feelings about the Federal response to this.

And yet we still have a few people here who feel that everything was done just fine and Trump bears no responsibility for any of this (or so I assume based on your responses, I placed them on my ignore list awhile back).

Im not saying the response was carried out to perfection.

What I’m saying is the media’s response is in line with what’s it’s been doing for the past 3 years.

It’s overblown

you’re right. Just a slight misstep or two. No big deal. 100,000 cases in now right? No big deal....oh that economy....

this forum has officially morphed into Facebook

news flash, the virus was happening to the scale it has regardless of who was at the helm. That’s a fact

I’ll start by saying I’m not a staunch Trump supporter in the slightest, I vote for what benefits me and my family. I voted for Obama his first term. Romney the second go around

We see the president through the media. Anyone who denies Obama was protected and trump is targeted is a bold faced liar. People tend to be idiots and can’t think for themselves.

All I’m saying is the entire narrative has shifted from the virus, which no human could have prepared for to how horrible trump is. It’s been the same song and dance since he’s been in office.

the extreme left is falling all over themselves to use this as an opportunity to get him out in November.
When I put on the news 80% of it is trump, 20% is the virus.

if you deny this fact, you’re nothing more than a sheep.

can anyone with a straight face tell me if Trump would’ve done an absolutely PERFECT job handling this the media would be singing his praises? Not a chance in hell
One can't compare (the) Obama and Trump (families), as IQ and character go. It's apples and garbages. Trump has a fantastic political instinct, but so do Mob dons (that's how they stay alive and out of prison). That doesn't make him good for his country. His values (and person) are corrupt. Character is destiny, and one can see it in both men's life and presidential histories. The Trump administration is like the North Korean communist party, full of worthless career apparatchiks and personality cultists, and THAT's what we are seeing at every step of this crisis. People get their jobs based not on competence, but on how far they would go for Trump (like in the Mafia), not for the country. People like that are always afraid to speak truth to power and almost never do the right thing. When one sees respected republican politicians become court sycophants overnight, one should be very afraid for this country. And yes, we do need the media to point that out, because some people can't see the obvious even if sits on top of their noses and has the size of a potato. It's the FREE PRESS that has kept this country FREE for more than two centuries.

I personally don't need the media to tell me about Obama. I found the man absolutely charismatic since I first heard him, and that was back when he was not even a presidential candidate. I don't fall in love with politicians; they are imperfect human beings. Warren is also a Harvard university professor and I can't stand her. But there is something about Obama (and also about Merkel) that reminds one of great statesmen. When he speaks off script, you can see how he's measuring every word or, as my wife says, you can see the wheels turning in his head. The man is simply intelligent, and it's a pleasure to listen to, and seems to be a decent human being, like his wife. He wasn't as good of a president as his supporters hoped (a lot of executive orders and Patriot Act-type garbage, which started with Bush by the way), but he was downright Lincoln-ish when compared to Trump. And he was one of US, the kind of person that shops in a grocery store, not one of THEM, the kind that couldn't tell you the price of milk.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 7 users
still back tracking huh?

yes there have been some trump shortcomings with the pandemic

but answer me this, is it proportional to the media’s coverage?
I'm not backtracking, I am refusing to engage in nonsense. I don't follow the media that well, so I couldn't say. All I can say for sure is that his words and actions are horrific missteps that are the same as have been made repeatedly throughout history, and I feared this would occur since 2018 when his firing of the pandemic response team was big news in public health. One would be hard pressed to handle things worse than he has.

Reactions: 1 user
I’ll start by saying I’m not a staunch Trump supporter in the slightest, I vote for what benefits me and my family. I voted for Obama his first term. Romney the second go around

We see the president through the media. Anyone who denies Obama was protected and trump is targeted is a bold faced liar. People tend to be idiots and can’t think for themselves.

All I’m saying is the entire narrative has shifted from the virus, which no human could have prepared for to how horrible trump is. It’s been the same song and dance since he’s been in office.

the extreme left is falling all over themselves to use this as an opportunity to get him out in November.
When I put on the news 80% of it is trump, 20% is the virus.

if you deny this fact, you’re nothing more than a sheep.

can anyone with a straight face tell me if Trump would’ve done an absolutely PERFECT job handling this the media would be singing his praises? Not a chance in hell
Obama was a liar, a corporate lackey, and a war criminal, that doesn't absolve Trump of being a colossal garbage fire

Members don't see this ad :)
this forum has officially morphed into Facebook

news flash, the virus was happening to the scale it has regardless of who was at the helm. That’s a fact

Maybe you're right. I don't know. But personally I can't stand orangetop. He's a complete doofus. He's the bully on the playground, not the kid who encourages and brings everyone together. He's a mob boss, pushing everyone and everything around to get his way at all costs. I simply don't find him fit to lead this country.

Maybe you're right. I don't know. But personally I can't stand orangetop. He's a complete doofus. He's the bully on the playground, not the kid who encourages and brings everyone together. He's a mob boss, pushing everyone and everything around to get his way at all costs. I simply don't find him fit to lead this country.

I cringe every time he gets up to speak

I truly want him to succeed bc I think he’s great for business and my portfolio.

I just calling a spade a spade. Media and liberals are out for blood

I truly want him to succeed bc I think he’s great for business and my portfolio.

This is gonna sound wild but maybe some things are more important than money. Like, I don't know, lives

This is gonna sound wild but maybe some things are more important than money. Like, I don't know, lives

In today's society money is the new god. At least for those who have it. How else could you have the lieutenant governor of a large state implying that grandma wants to die for the economy?

Reactions: 3 users

no matter how much I care, it won’t change anything. I get one vote

I can only change my business, those around me, and my family.

Ill also add he’s better for medicine than Bernie and Biden

I’m not dying for a government take over

That would be correct, except you have to remember that the doctrine of the republican party since the 80s has been EVERTYHING is permitted in our ultimate quest for POWER. So they started using the same tribal tactics as the extremists, using vitriol whenever speaking about the other party, dividing the country one day at a time. They have been shameless. Trump is just the culmination of their efforts and a perfect example of their values, that's why they coalesce so perfectly around him.

One can't judge the left while forgetting how of all this started with Newt Gingrich. The "prograssive" (sic!) left, which I can't stand most of these days, is the reaction to the extreme cronyism and intolerance on the right. But they are not as big of a threat to democracy, so we can deal with them later, in subsequent elections.

Ill also add he’s better for medicine than Bernie and Biden

I’m not dying for a government take over
That's how the German Jews thought about Hitler, too (sorry about bringing him up, but Trump's tactics make him stare one in the face, historically). And that's how many autocrats come to power, including Putin.

There is this concept of second-order (or -level) thinking, that most unsuccessful people seem to lack. To make a parallel with chess, one doesn't simply think just about the next move, but about many moves ahead. It makes one analyze the long-term consequences of every decision. As in: we elect Trump, to protect our interests, then what? I would like all the intelligent people who are considering voting for Trump think about the "then what?" at many levels, because this may be the last time in their lives America is still great and free. and unlike a third-world autocratic fiefdom.
Things are not always as they appear. Often when we solve one problem, we end up unintentionally creating another one that’s even worse. The best way to examine the long-term consequences of our decisions is to use second-order thinking.

It’s often easier to identify when people didn’t adequately consider the second and subsequent order impacts. For example, consider a country that, wanting to inspire regime change in another country, funds and provides weapons to a group of “moderate rebels.” Only it turns out that those moderate rebels will become powerful and then go to war with the sponsoring country for decades. Whoops.

Im not saying the response was carried out to perfection.

What I’m saying is the media’s response is in line with what’s it’s been doing for the past 3 years.

It’s overblown

For me it is my experience with other outbreaks that have occurred. During H1N1 we were preparing for hospital surges before we even had a case. During the Ebola outbreak, we were practicing “donning” and “doffing” and there was not a single community acquired case on American soil. We had people volunteering to man Ebola units. We were over prepared. Like it or not, the President and the rest of the federal government set the tone for how the public should feel about foreign threats and how we should respond to it. Our President used this threat as a political rally talking point. Is it possible that some of the social distancing policies were not followed because we had a President calling this a hoax for 2 months?

To be fair, I wonder if the impeachment nonsense distracted the media and country so much that we took our eyes off of other threats. I have always said the impeachment stuff was a ridiculous waste of time and I am clearly no fan of Trump.

Is it possible that some of the social distancing policies were not followed because we had a President calling this a hoax for 2 months?

New York refused to do basic stuff, like shutting down the subway, social distancing, and preparing the hospitals.

Why? Because Trump took an aggressive stance against coronavirus, like SHUTTING DOWN TRAVEL WITH CHINA AND EUROPE.

Because orange man bad, the virus is not a threat to New York. They're not racist like Trump after all.

You don't want to admit it, but New York didn't prepare for this stuff, they were too "woke".

That's how the German Jews thought about Hitler, too (sorry about bringing him up, but Trump's tactics make him stare one in the face, historically). And that's how many autocrats come to power, including Putin.

There is this concept of second-order (or -level) thinking, that most unsuccessful people seem to lack. To make a parallel with chess, one doesn't simply think just about the next move, but about many moves ahead. It makes one analyze the long-term consequences of every decision. As in: we elect Trump, to protect our interests, then what? I would like all the intelligent people who are considering voting for Trump think about the "then what?" at many levels, because this may be the last time in their lives America is still great and free. and unlike a third-world autocratic fiefdom.
Lol, do you even listen to yourself? You think Trump is an autocrat, yet Trump is being accused of being the exact opposite by the Left.

"Trump isn't doing enough to SHUT DOWN THE COUNTRY."

In today's society money is the new god. At least for those who have it. How else could you have the lieutenant governor of a large state implying that grandma wants to die for the economy?
Did you even listen to the interview? The elderly Lt Gov was speaking for himself, not "grandma". He's worried about the future for his kids and grandkids, you can't possibly be so obtuse about this.

When lives are lost because our economy goes down the toilet and people are back on the opioids and committing suicide, and future generations are stuck in poverty?

When lives are lost because our economy goes down the toilet and people are back on the opioids and committing suicide, and future generations are stuck in poverty?
Studies of all previous recessions and depressions in the United States have shown that death rates actually drop.

The consensus year-end target for the S&P 500 comes to 3,038 as of Friday, representing a nearly 20% gain from the current level of 2,541, according to the CNBC Market Strategist Survey that rounds up 16 top strategists’ forecasts.
CH 20200327_sp500_year_end_targets.png

Tom Lee, Fundstrat’s head of research, came up with his earnings estimate by assessing different sectors’ exposure to the coronavirus and the EPS sensitivity to top-line declines and marginal costs. He sees an S&P 500 topline decline by 20% in the second quarter.
Lee forecasts a V-shape recovery ahead, with the S&P 500 recovering half of its losses as soon as next month and potentially all of its losses later this year. He has a year-end target of 3,450 for the S&P 500.
“We are in non-normal times with the business cycle interrupted,” Lee said in a note on Wednesday. “We also believe stocks made a structural low last week, akin to October 2008. Thus, investors can pick winners vs losers.”
Meanwhile, JPMorgan’s market guru Marko Kolanovic believes the S&P 500 could be back to record levels by early next year, using the U.S. Health Weather Map that he said shows that the social distancing measures and shutdowns put in place by major cities are working

This is a great opportunity to buy equities as the stock market heads back down during this crisis. By early summer the turn-around will be obvious and the market will bounce back. I have no idea if the S and P will be at 3,000 by the end of this year but the market is forward looking and I think 2800 is quite realistic by Christmas.

The S&P 500 could be back to 2,800 soon and all-time highs by year-end, Fundstrat’s Tom Lee says

IMHO, Money has been the motivating factor for the USA for centuries. People come here to this nation to "make it" big. There is still great opportunity in the USA to become highly successful.

I saw the segment you are referring to with the Lt. Gov of Texas. I did not come away with the same conclusion that he wants to kill Grandma. The Lt. Gov recognizes that there must be balance between economic interests/stability and the risks to our seniors from Covid 19. I suspect most of this nation will remain in lock-down or quarantine for all of April. I do think by May we should open up a large portion of this nation.

Did you need to make that so big? And the politics of your comments are quite clear to us. If we open back the country (except NYC) by May 01 the Covid 19 threat should have leveled off. Seniors and others can continue to self-quarantine. People can determine for themselves an acceptable level of risk.

The Lt. Gov recognizes that there must be balance between economic interests/stability and the risks to our seniors from Covid 19.

As I said, he pretty much thinks it's ok if Grandma dies if it means GDP goes back up- he just had a roundabout way of phrasing it. It is a myth that we wouldn't have the resources or will to keep people fed, sheltered, and alive if a total national shutdown was temporarily needed (trillions of QE that materialized out of nowhere cant also pay for food and rent?). It is a myth that a temporary recession would kill more people than this virus. I wish these disingenuous politicians would just come out and say that they favor corporate profits and the stock market over people's lives.

can we either start a separate thread where 1)we discuss current economics and investment strategies (which is what this started out as) or 2) start one to talk about the politics of the pandemic (which is what this has become)?

Did you need to make that so big? And the politics of your comments are quite clear to us. If we open back the country (except NYC) by May 01 the Covid 19 threat should have leveled off. Seniors and others can continue to self-quarantine. People can determine for themselves an acceptable level of risk.

Unlikely, the federal government and many states have bungled this response so badly, I would guess we're looking at shutdowns for 2-3 months. We could have taken our medicine early on, but nope, too much greed.

That I can agree with. Trump saying April 12th was an absolute no go though

As to size, I'm on mobile, it automatically resized things so I have no idea how large they are

For me it is my experience with other outbreaks that have occurred. During H1N1 we were preparing for hospital surges before we even had a case. During the Ebola outbreak, we were practicing “donning” and “doffing” and there was not a single community acquired case on American soil. We had people volunteering to man Ebola units. We were over prepared. Like it or not, the President and the rest of the federal government set the tone for how the public should feel about foreign threats and how we should respond to it. Our President used this threat as a political rally talking point. Is it possible that some of the social distancing policies were not followed because we had a President calling this a hoax for 2 months?

To be fair, I wonder if the impeachment nonsense distracted the media and country so much that we took our eyes off of other threats. I have always said the impeachment stuff was a ridiculous waste of time and I am clearly no fan of Trump.

I hear you. But we can’t compare ‘Rona to Ebola or H1N1 in terms of severity. They weren’t prepared for this, I don’t think anyone was

You lost me at Trump morphing into Hitler. I’ve heard it too many times. Complete joke

• Love

THIS IS OUR ONLY HOPE.

If he hide in our homes for the next 6-12 months there’s not going to be a country when we get out

We can not prevent the spread of disease, a lot are going to get sick and die, but that’s the only option we are left with

80% do just fine w the illness, the rest need to self quarantine

You lost me at Trump morphing into Hitler. I’ve heard it too many times. Complete joke
You're not paying attention. And I was not saying he's morphing into Hitler, I was saying he's using the same tactics, and we are as stupid as the German Jews in the 30s. Just what he's doing behind the scenes with the DOJ and FBI should make one shudder. The pylons of a free society are free press and justice. He's doing his best to discredit both, and to pack them with his spineless unprincipled unscrupulous loyal cultists. And I'm not talking about tchotchke like abortions, but big stuff such as uncontrolled abuses of executive power, and a president being above the law.

Just watch political videos from before 2016, and you'll notice that things that used to outrage us have become the new "normal", because otherwise we would be in a permanent outrage. Their tactic is to tire us out and it's working.

Again, I am not comparing Trump to the nazis except in tactics (but, hey, sorry, you wouldn't know what I am talking about unless you've actually been interested in history). This is the new model of autocratic, controlled destruction of a democracy and grabbing of absolute power in time, with just a patina of democracy on the top for the hopeful *****s in denial (e.g. Russia, Hungary, the Philippines, Venezuela etc.). Do read about "democracy" in those countries. Autocrats have learned that stupid hoi-polloi frogs don't jump out of the cooking vessel if warmed up slowly till boiling, versus turning the heat to max from the beginning. Just make the estupidos believe they still have a democracy, especially as long as only "the enemy of the people" are being persecuted. As the famous poem says:

First they came for the socialists, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a socialist.
Then they came for the trade unionists, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a trade unionist.
Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a Jew.
Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me.

One knows it's happening by comparing the new normal with the old normal. One just has to really LOOK, like Sherlock Holmes not like Watson. This country has been going South at least since 9/11.

Trump hasn't taken our guns like Hitler did and you can be here on this forum telling everyone who is dumb enough to listen to you that you hate Trump and he is terrible. So no, this isn't like Germany in the 1930's.

You're not paying attention. And I was not saying he's morphing into Hitler, I was saying he's using the same tactics, and we are as stupid as the German Jews in the 30s. Just what he's doing behind the scenes with the DOJ and FBI should make one shudder. The pylons of a free society are free press and justice. He's doing his best to discredit both, and to pack them with his spineless unprincipled unscrupulous loyal cultists.

Just watch political videos from before 2016, and you'll notice that things that used to outrage us have become the new "normal", because otherwise we would be in a permanent outrage. Their tactic is to tire us out and it's working. Btw, that's exactly what the nazis did too, in the beginning.

Again, I am not comparing republicans to the nazis except in tactics. This is the new textbook of autocratic controlled destruction of a democracy and grabbing of absolute power in time, with just a patina of democracy on the top for the hopeful *****s in denial (e.g. Russia, Hungary, the Philippines, Venezuela etc.). Autocrats have learned that stupid hoi-polloi frogs don't jump out of the cooking vessel if warmed up slowly till boiling, versus turning the heat to max from the beginning. Just make the estupidos believe they still have a democracy, especially as long as only "the enemy of the people" are being persecuted (economically and judicially, for now). As the famous poem says:

One knows it's happening by comparing the new normal with the old normal. One just has to really LOOK, like Sherlock Holmes not like Watson. This country has been going South at least since 9/11. I get it, life has educated me politically against my wishes, and I have experienced orwellian societies, and most Americans haven't, but that's not an excuse for not knowing history, and not LISTENING to people and experts who have.

It's like denying that there is a coronavirus epidemic going on. Just denying something and wishful thinking won't make it go away. Real life is not like that. Neither is Trump.

I think it's clear that the Democrat party has now become the American Nazi party: national socialists, willing to silence their political enemies, willing to defend those who suppress free speech, willing and wanting to disarm the public to make them defenseless against the State, expanding abortion to get rid of low socioeconomic "undesirables", and blaming all evils on a specific group of people (not Jews like the national socialists in the 30s...).

NYC can open up by the second week of May...maybe even sooner. The peak surge will be mid-April. In the meantime, the healthcare system either will or will not collapse depending on whether or not they are successful in expanding capacity.

The rest of the country needs to decide locally if they should shutdown or remain open on May 1 depending on their healthcare system capacity.

Took 37 pages, finally the nazi references begin :rolleyes:.
Any recs for cheap stocks?
The GDX is still trading barely above what it crashed down to in 2008. So still cheap imo. If it drops again on Monday it might be a good option for day trading during the week. Those stocks have been fluctuating even more than the general stock market. Oil stocks are also very cheap, but I don't see a light at the end of the tunnel yet for them.

Don't judge a book by its cover, or a post just by the fact that it's mentioning the nazis. (Btw, it is 100% true that Trump has been talking about the press in the same terms as Hitler. He's also destroying Justice and law enforcement exactly how Hitler did. Know your history, dude.)

All your posts should start with

Dear Facebook,

Oh, and btw, I have a minor in history ;)

Took 37 pages, finally the nazi references begin :rolleyes:.

The GDX is still trading barely above what it crashed down to in 2008. So still cheap imo. If it drops again on Monday it might be a good option for day trading during the week. Those stocks have been fluctuating even more than the general stock market. Oil stocks are also very cheap, but I don't see a light at the end of the tunnel yet for them.

Liberal talking points always end with Trump = Hitler

Cmon man

when do y’all expect the real estate market to go down? I’m finishing up residency and was planning on buying a home but now I think I’ll wait..

I have not read through this thread, so sorry if this was discussed..

You're absolutely clueless. A huge portion of the ppl working in NYC don't live in the city. And the fact that u think you can run dozens of huge medical centers serving millions of ppl with a few nurses shows how clueless you are. Even Trump has enough common sense to know you couldn't completely shut down the entire subway system lol. NYC is completely overwhelmed right now and they still aren't even entertaining thoughts of shutting down the all the subways. They're not stupid, they just know it's impossible.
Dude that guy thinks Trump is doing a good job. You can't argue with someone like that. Put them in the ******* column and move on.