Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What I learned from my patients back in the 70's was to fear the Big Black Guy that was terrorizing the East Coast:
Incident #1 Baltimore 1978 5 am. We have a 35 yo white guy with a slash all the way across his anterior neck. We have control of the impressive bleeding by pressure. It must have been mostly muscular since he can talk and he isn't dead. Both surgery services are in the OR doing majors. So I've called the ENT guys and told them to get in to explore a neck for trauma. They are stunned and scared but on their way in. The police want to talk to this guy and I let them.
Policeman: What happened Mr Smith?
Smith: Well there was a knock on the door at 3 am, I opened it and there was this Big Black Guy who cut my throat.
Policeman: Where's your wife, Mr Smith?
Smith: Uh . . .She's spending the night with a friend.
Much verbal ducking and weaving follows. . .
Policeman: Mr Smith, we found the knife. How come it matches the steak knives in your kitchen?
Smith: Oh, . . .I forgot . . .there was a knock on the door at 3 am, I open it, this Big Black Guy runs into the kitchen, opens the knife drawer, grabs a knife and cuts my throat. . .
Incident #2 Ft Walton Beach, Florida 1979 5 am: I have a 23 yo white male who seems to be in considerable pain from a vegetable stuck inside an unusual place:
Me: (I'm annoyed and wish to embarrass him further) So how did this happen?
Jones: Uh. . .there was a knock on the door at 3 am. I opened it and this Big Black Guy was there with a gun and a cucumber. He waves the gun at me, tells me to bend over and . . .
So two days later I'm discussing this wide-ranging terrorist with my colleague (who is in fact 6'3" and black).
Me: Dr. ___, are you the perpetrator? Is it a relation? 😀
Dr. ___: Oh, he's big all right. Larger than life.
Here in the west it always seems to be 2-4 dudes who do these inexplicable things.
Incident #1 Baltimore 1978 5 am. We have a 35 yo white guy with a slash all the way across his anterior neck. We have control of the impressive bleeding by pressure. It must have been mostly muscular since he can talk and he isn't dead. Both surgery services are in the OR doing majors. So I've called the ENT guys and told them to get in to explore a neck for trauma. They are stunned and scared but on their way in. The police want to talk to this guy and I let them.
Policeman: What happened Mr Smith?
Smith: Well there was a knock on the door at 3 am, I opened it and there was this Big Black Guy who cut my throat.
Policeman: Where's your wife, Mr Smith?
Smith: Uh . . .She's spending the night with a friend.
Much verbal ducking and weaving follows. . .
Policeman: Mr Smith, we found the knife. How come it matches the steak knives in your kitchen?
Smith: Oh, . . .I forgot . . .there was a knock on the door at 3 am, I open it, this Big Black Guy runs into the kitchen, opens the knife drawer, grabs a knife and cuts my throat. . .
Incident #2 Ft Walton Beach, Florida 1979 5 am: I have a 23 yo white male who seems to be in considerable pain from a vegetable stuck inside an unusual place:
Me: (I'm annoyed and wish to embarrass him further) So how did this happen?
Jones: Uh. . .there was a knock on the door at 3 am. I opened it and this Big Black Guy was there with a gun and a cucumber. He waves the gun at me, tells me to bend over and . . .
So two days later I'm discussing this wide-ranging terrorist with my colleague (who is in fact 6'3" and black).
Me: Dr. ___, are you the perpetrator? Is it a relation? 😀
Dr. ___: Oh, he's big all right. Larger than life.
Here in the west it always seems to be 2-4 dudes who do these inexplicable things.

