Think of going into Anesthesiology. Applying into the North East US most likely. Any tips?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should I do aways?

• Total voters
M

misteratoz

*Thinking

-MS-3.
-Step 1: 243.
-Honored: Neuro, OB-Gyn, Psych,
-High Passed: Surgery, Pediatrics
-Haven't had Medicine or Family Medicine yet.

I've heard great things about Hopkins, Mayo Clinic (though it's not in the north east), and Alabama (also not in the North East). I want to go to an academic center to keep fellowship hopes alive but also want a good mix of case load, patient acuity and diversity, teaching from attendings. Any tips regarding programs to look out for, Away rotations (heard mixed things), and anything else? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
Check out the threads in the anesthesia forum. Should help to answer your questions. The three places you listed are all good but there are many programs that fit your listed requirements.

Hopkins is not northeast either
you're right, baltimore, maryland is not part of the northeast.
us-northeast.gif
/s

Reactions: 1 user
This was disputed for a long time, but put to rest in 1767, thanks to a Mr. Mason, and a Mr. Dixon. Hardly caused any contention since then.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
The story of SDN: ask a somewhat reasonable question → get antagonized → watch thread devolve into an argument on geopolitical boundaries

Reactions: 19 users
Hmm the criticism leveled here made me realize that I didn't even come close to answering the question. 243 should make you pretty competitive in most places and I wouldn't recommend aways unless you are trying to get out of your geographical area. There are plenty of great programs and you've probably heard of most of them

I would recommend aways in your desired geographical area. Everyone that I know of that is doing Anes in my class did aways and they were for the most part in the SE.

Your have a strong Step 1. So your chances should be good. I think aways give you an "in" at a few other programs than your home as long as you do well on them.

With that Step 1 score I'll offer you the best advice yet: go into one of the surgical subspecialities and avoid anesthesia. You'll thank me later.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
With that Step 1 score I'll offer you the best advice yet: go into one of the surgical subspecialities and avoid anesthesia. You'll thank me later.
i have to agree with consigliere. With a 243 you can do anything. I went into anesthesia because i HAD to not because i wanted to.

I'm think anesthesiology because I innately liked it. I love the physiology and using powerful pharmacology. It's one of the few fields where I found myself eager to know more to the point where I was probably pissing off the attendings. Especially during a CABG. That **** is exhilarating. That being said, I still haven't ruled out Ophthalmology or Emergency Medicine. Hell haven't even done my CCU rotation yet and I have a feeling I'll like that. I'll say this, I have my pic of programs in anesthesiology, a field that I know I will enjoy, all other things being equal. Right now I don't have enough time to thoroughly explore everything else so I'm sort of hedging a bet.

I had a 243. Damn I shoulda done derm.

Because anesthesia is just the pits. Do ophthalmology instead.
I'd like to know why as well. I've worked in the OR for a long time and just about every anesthesiologist I've talked to has been very happy with the specialty. Only two have advised me against it, calling it a "lateral move" in that I'd still be working for surgeons. Just curious about the negative sentiment here.

I'd like to know why as well. I've worked in the OR for a long time and just about every anesthesiologist I've talked to has been very happy with the specialty. Only two have advised me against it, calling it a "lateral move" in that I'd still be working for surgeons. Just curious about the negative sentiment here.
Do some research. The field is dead.

these days im not so sure a 243 is enough to land ophtho
It is. It's average or maybe even 1 or 2 points below based on the newest numbers. I don't have the research for it though. Also based on what I've seen, I don't love it, though I love the idea of it.

By the way when a medical student does an anesthesia rotation and asks the attendings if they are happy it's unlikely that the answer is going to be: Oh anesthesia sucks, I hate my life!
They can't say that because the chairman will find out and they will get fired!
So they will lie to you and watch you get screwed.

By the way when a medical student does an anesthesia rotation and asks the attendings if they are happy it's unlikely that the answer is going to be: Oh anesthesia sucks, I hate my life!
They can't say that because the chairman will find out and they will get fired!
So they will lie to you and watch you get screwed.

Some level of skepticism and even doom/gloom about the field is understandable, but when you start making claims like this, it does not help your credibility.

I've talked to numerous attendings, both academic and private practice (the latter were not associated with any "course director" or "dept chair") and not one has been negative on the outlook for anesthesia. Sure, the field is changing, but the same could be said of most fields in medicine today. I think the vast majority of medical students today understand full well that while they will have a decent life, it will not be anything like the "glory days" of 20-30 years ago.

Perhaps your dissatisfaction with the field as a whole is due to your specific work environment?

TempleChairman relatively recently did a Q&A which, if one reads between the lines, seems to substantiate what a lot of SDN attendings are saying, at least for his neck of the woods.

Some level of skepticism and even doom/gloom about the field is understandable, but when you start making claims like this, it does not help your credibility.

I've talked to numerous attendings, both academic and private practice (the latter were not associated with any "course director" or "dept chair") and not one has been negative on the outlook for anesthesia. Sure, the field is changing, but the same could be said of most fields in medicine today. I think the vast majority of medical students today understand full well that while they will have a decent life, it will not be anything like the "glory days" of 20-30 years ago.

Perhaps your dissatisfaction with the field as a whole is due to your specific work environment?
Oh man... you figured me out and uncovered my real motives... With this level of foresight I am now convinced that anesthesiology is the perfect choice for you, carry on. :claps:

Nothing like SDN's doom and gloom to cheer up an MS4 9 days from Match Day :).

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile