Thinking about HPSP/USUHS? READ THIS.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They need to stop calling it a “scholarship.” There are a lot of naive prospective med students who are probably confused by this term. I’m sure I’ll be ripped apart for this statement (as many will say a 22 yo is a “grown-up” and should know exactly what he/she is getting into). But does anyone who is new to the military REALLY understand the implications of this decision?

It’s no more a scholarship than an appointment to one of the service academies, probably less so because for the vast majority of physicians it is a financial loser. Be honest and let everyone know this on the front end (in addition to the likely future lack of specialty choice).

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Health Professions Binding Compact? (HPBC)
Health Professions Indenture? (HPI)
Health Professions Legal Aquisition of Your Soul? (HPLAS)

Reactions: 1 users
I've never heard of a surgeon general not retiring upon completion of their tour (Bono).

I’m not sure what you’re implying here (I may have missed an earlier post), but this is typical for all Flag Officers. (BTW: VADM Bono has never been a Surgeon General).

The reason for this is the Flag Officer rank is dependent upon the job. If there isn’t another 3 star job for a 3 star (or a 4 star job for them) then they would have to go back to 1 or 2 star for another job. One also starts to run into statutory retirement requirements.

Members don't see this ad :)
Except for the fact that the money paid per accession has never been higher, nothing about the HPSP can be said to have improved. The situation with residency training for HPSP accessions (or more correctly, the certain absence of said training) is particularly bad. I have to wonder how civilian medical schools could responsibly recommend their students take those scholarships under present and forecast conditions.

The better thing would be to terminate HPSP and secure the personnel to meet the need of the skill "buckets" through FAP or some new program that targets what they need. Of course, you don't get a pool of new grads that you can send out to GMO billets with little realistic prospect of following on to training, which might thwart their cynical plan.

You guys hear anything about this idea being floated to make the obligation for residency and Med school consecutive instead of concurrent? Apparently there is someone from the government accountability officer asking people their opinions about that. I don’t think they have plans to implement it right now but apparently someone is looking into it. ‍

That came up around 10 years ago and they restated the rules for FTOS fellowships but determined that the law didn’t allow them to restate FTIS training obligation. Back then they determined it would require an adjustment to Title 10. So...seems unlikely