This is why I don't like Glock Handguns as Carry Weapons

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Police: Officer's gun that killed Adaisha Miller had trigger that could be reached through holster

The gun is a Smith & Wesson M&P 40-caliber semi-automatic. Police said the gun does not have an external safety, but does have an internal safety in the trigger...

According to a news release from Smith & Wesson, the weapon has a trigger system that features a 6.5-pound trigger pull and is designed to prevent the gun from firing if it is dropped.

It's possible, Godbee said, that the trigger of the officer’s gun could be manipulated through the soft holster it was being carried on the officer's waist on his right side.

There you have it. Negligence IMHO.

- pod

Members don't see this ad.

Any 'best home defense gun' article that doesn't mention an AR15 isn't worth the electrons wasted to e-distribute it.

And this:

:rolleyes: At least they didn't talk about rock salt ammo, bird shot, wall non-penetration fables, and not having to aim it.

What exactly do you mean by this? That .357 is inadequate, or that 9mm is less dangerous? I don't see where you're going.

An AR 15? Really? You want the average civilian to own an AR15 instead of a .357 revolver?

I'm with you on guns and own many incl AR15s. But, for the person who shoots once a year with limited access to rifle range I recommend a revolver.

I love revolvers, too. I have two ancient S&Ws and trust them to go bang each and every time. Also, with my 38/44 heavy duty (look it up) I could pistol whip the **** out of someone if needed. If I engage someo e in a gunfight, it will be at less than 21 feet. I need reliability over capacity. That is why a revolver is the right choice for the HD pistol. My wife likes them and their simplicity as well. Most women can't handle the manual of arms of a semi-auto pistol.

Members don't see this ad :)
When I carry a gun like this with a system that leaves the trigger unprotected, I carry in condition 3. I know that leaves me open to not having the weapon ready when I need it, but it avoids the issue of ND from an improperly carried weapon, a tradeoff that I am willing to make.

I think the picture is coming clearer on what was going on at the time...

...department-issued gun accidentally discharged while she was dancing behind him and touching his waist... Miller died from a single gunshot wound to the chest.

:eyebrow:

- pod

I love revolvers, too. I have two ancient S&Ws and trust them to go bang each and every time. Also, with my 38/44 heavy duty (look it up) I could pistol whip the **** out of someone if needed. If I engage someo e in a gunfight, it will be at less than 21 feet. I need reliability over capacity. That is why a revolver is the right choice for the HD pistol. My wife likes them and their simplicity as well. Most women can't handle the manual of arms of a semi-auto pistol.

We agree here. Most of us recognize that the gun will never be fired at a person and even if it is fired how often is more than 3 rounds ever needed for home defense?

I keep several weapons within arms reach plus a flashlight. But, my Ruger or Smith and Wesson are highly regarded by my wife. I also keep a semi auto .45 with a laser for me.
Don't worry my shotguns, AR15s, carbine, etc are all ready to go as well.

When I carry a gun like this with a system that leaves the trigger unprotected, I carry in condition 3. I know that leaves me open to not having the weapon ready when I need it, but it avoids the issue of ND from an improperly carried weapon, a tradeoff that I am willing to make.

I think the picture is coming clearer on what was going on at the time...

:eyebrow:

- pod

Great post. :thumbup: I don't carry these types of guns but love the way they shoot at the range.

An AR 15? Really? You want the average civilian to own an AR15 instead of a .357 revolver?

Instead of the pump action shotgun in the article? Hell yes!

And every non-felonious non-mentally-unstable American ought to own an AR15 on general principle. :D

I'm with you on guns and own many incl AR15s. But, for the person who shoots once a year with limited access to rifle range I recommend a revolver.

That's good advice.

There you have it. Negligence IMHO.

Agreed.

Behind him, hugging, belt holster ... shot in the chest? That's some odd geometry.

376520_258275814282316_440094471_n.jpg

Behind him, hugging, belt holster ... shot in the chest? That's some odd geometry.

I wonder if she wasn't so much dancing with him as performing on him. That might explain why her hands were around his waist and the muzzle might have been pointing at her chest while simultaneously pointing down...

I am pretty sure that I have posted these before, but my preferred carry weapons, depending on the situation I am going into...

My absolute favorite EDC is currently out of commission for repairs

S&W Model 66-3

PICT1367_2.jpg

Preferred BUG (I have a little different definition of BUG from most folks)

Colt Anaconda 6"

7540409968_0fbc6090e0.jpg

For the woods

Freedom Arms Model 97 in 45 Colt.

539615_466807053330021_1489853302_n.jpg

You might say that I have a thing for revolvers!

Interestingly enough, however, the two handguns I currently have in arms reach just happen to not be revolvers.

Glock 19 in condition 3 (speak of the devil)

39866.jpg

Sig Sauer 1911 Ultra Compact - also in condition 3

SIG_Sauer_1911_Ultra_1.jpg

- pod

Last edited:
Glock handguns are very popular. They are reliable, easily maintained, and easy to shoot. That last attribute is also a dangerous shortcoming. With no manual safety and a light trigger pull the user needs to apply an additional gun safety rule: Carry the gun in a manner in which the trigger cannot be pulled unintentionally.

EVERY chambered gun (the only proper way to carry imo) should be carried that way. Carrying with an exposed trigger on any firearm is negligent in my eyes and asking for trouble

Why? The 125 gr 357 is a great defense round. If I need to use it, I'm going full house. .38 special for practice and .357 for show. Plus, the 357 is very versatile and can be loaded in a large variety of weights and velocities.

Frankly my wife has used autoloaders in steel and polymer and always goes back to our SW 686+

This comment isn't for you, so much as for other readers. I know you know guns. I think the concept of .38 practice / .357 defense is great. However, you should still have significant practice with .357 if that's what you're going to load up at night. The recoil is wayyyy different.

:shrug: whole lot easier to shoot a rifle well than a DA revolver. I'd rather leave someone with the AR.

I'll personally keep my 5 rounds of 00 buck though

Glock 19 in condition 3 (speak of the devil)

Ditto

Last edited:
Doesn't even make sense , someone may of addressed it already but I didn't read every single post. If you have a gun with a safety, when carrying for protection you have yours engaged? Even if with any proper holster has a trigger cover. ---Glock 22 gen4 40 cal

Why? The 125 gr 357 is a great defense round. If I need to use it, I'm going full house. .38 special for practice and .357 for show. Plus, the 357 is very versatile and can be loaded in a large variety of weights and velocities.

Frankly my wife has used autoloaders in steel and polymer and always goes back to our SW 686+

Any 'best home defense gun' article that doesn't mention an AR15 isn't worth the electrons wasted to e-distribute it.

And this:

:rolleyes: At least they didn't talk about rock salt ammo, bird shot, wall non-penetration fables, and not having to aim it.

But what's not to like? Except low capacity, high recoil, short-stroking under stress ...

Benelli M4 with an extended tube solves some of that. I'm still planning to buy one, but I keep getting distracted by other guns.

What exactly do you mean by this? That .357 is inadequate, or that 9mm is less dangerous? I don't see where you're going.

So, I didn't see your comment here until today Pgg. I don't think the .357 is inadequate at all, my logic is just the opposite and sort of what
BADMD is saying. It's "full house". More "for show". You want to reload a 9mm or a .357 in a bad situation? I want a magazine. I want more bullets. I don't wanna use a quick loader, it still takes a bit more time than a magazine, and with a magazine, it's stick and pull. A quick reloader still needs to line up those bullets in a flash, it's small, you may not have a quick reloader handy for a .357. blablabla.

I've shot both guns, the .357 is deafening and has a huge kick as I recall, like HUGE. It's never gonna jam, but then why aren't ANY LEOs using revolvers anymore? I mean, come on? the point of a gun is to keep it concealed and use it IF needed. Cops need extra bullets just in case, and I think people do too. If not, keep it tucked away. If you need to shoot more than 6 bullets, you're in trouble, and I want more than 6. That's one of the first and foremost reasons to carry a 9mm. The second reason is a more compact and lighter weapon, that it's easier to shoot. For smaller people, I'm 6'4'' but I wouldn't hand a .357 to a small male/female, it's unwieldy.

So, if you don't like the Glock "safety" get a SS or another weapon with a firm safety and you're good to go. A .357 seems overkill for me, you just don't need it, nor do you need its size. Some people like to carry in the small of their backs, leg, that's so hard to do with a .357. a nice small 9mm is just more practical to me.

so, speaking on which, I may get CCW done in Colorado after the move, and would love a suggestion for a SMALL .9mm (even though I have larger hands) to keep concealed when running/biking/hiking (figuring that I'm wearing shorts and t-shirts doing the above...)

d712

Members don't see this ad :)
So, I didn't see your comment here until today Pgg. I don't think the .357 is inadequate at all, my logic is just the opposite and sort of what
BADMD is saying. It's "full house". More "for show". You want to reload a 9mm or a .357 in a bad situation? I want a magazine. I want more bullets. I don't wanna use a quick loader, it still takes a bit more time than a magazine, and with a magazine, it's stick and pull. A quick reloader still needs to line up those bullets in a flash, it's small, you may not have a quick reloader handy for a .357. blablabla.

I've shot both guns, the .357 is deafening and has a huge kick as I recall, like HUGE. It's never gonna jam, but then why aren't ANY LEOs using revolvers anymore? I mean, come on? the point of a gun is to keep it concealed and use it IF needed. Cops need extra bullets just in case, and I think people do too. If not, keep it tucked away. If you need to shoot more than 6 bullets, you're in trouble, and I want more than 6. That's one of the first and foremost reasons to carry a 9mm. The second reason is a more compact and lighter weapon, that it's easier to shoot. For smaller people, I'm 6'4'' but I wouldn't hand a .357 to a small male/female, it's unwieldy.

So, if you don't like the Glock "safety" get a SS or another weapon with a firm safety and you're good to go. A .357 seems overkill for me, you just don't need it, nor do you need its size. Some people like to carry in the small of their backs, leg, that's so hard to do with a .357. a nice small 9mm is just more practical to me.

so, speaking on which, I may get CCW done in Colorado after the move, and would love a suggestion for a SMALL .9mm (even though I have larger hands) to keep concealed when running/biking/hiking (figuring that I'm wearing shorts and t-shirts doing the above...)

d712

LEO routinely carry a small revolver as a back-up piece because they never JAM and always go bang. Many carry the SW642.

Smith_Wesson_Model_642_Revolver.jpg

LEO routinely carry a small revolver as a back-up piece because they never JAM and always go bang. Many carry the SW642.

Used to have one as a primary in a Uncle Mike's SOB holster. +P rounds and a speedloader in the pocket and I was set.

Used to have one as a primary in a Uncle Mike's SOB holster. +P rounds and a speedloader in the pocket and I was set.

Plus P Rounds are too much for me in this little gun. I just carry regular, .38 special hollow point ammo so my accuracy at 5-6 feet will still be decent.

This gun is an UP FRONT AND PERSONAL Carry weapon meant to be fired from a distance of less than 10 feet.

GP100-CYLINDER.jpg

For those of you looking for a great gun which costs less than $600 (brand new) and is available at your local gun store I recommend the Ruger GP 100 .357. This beast will handle hot .357 loads but I shoot regular .38s from it all the time. The .38 is very manageable in this gun and my wife has no problems hitting dead center. I own the 4", 5" and 6" version in Stainless Steel. For the money it is a fantastic gun. The 5" and 6" versions are a bit more accurate than 4" version but bulkier.

Last edited:
L_frame_06.jpg

I own several Smith and Wesson revolvers as well. Nice weapons. More expensive than the Ruger GP100 but a better finish (not a better shooter). I have the 7 shot version.

Plus P Rounds are too much for me in this little gun. I just carry regular, .38 special hollow point ammo so my accuracy at 5-6 feet will still be decent.

This gun is an UP FRONT AND PERSONAL Carry weapon meant to be fired from a distance of less than 10 feet.

I practiced with regular .38, but carried +P.

Okay. On the Opposite end of the value spectrum are these guns. A waste of money compared to the Ruger (double the price) but they are beautiful and shoot nicely. The larger gun on the top holds 8 rounds but will set you back $1100 or so. I can't recommend these guns unless you simply want an 8 shot revolver or looking for that special something on your birthday. I really like these guns but prefer to shoot my Rugers more at the range.

d712

Here is your Jogging CCW:

DSC03248.jpg

I agree. As a backup piece. To the .9mm they will reach for when needed. ;)

D712

Here is your Jogging CCW:

DSC03248.jpg

is that ruger the small one in the picture below with the 3 guns in it?
i really have NO idea if i could hold that and squeeze it. i'm 6'4'' and
have big hands. i will have to hold it.

what/where holster would you use when jogging? small of back?
inside pants?

would this do any damage to a coyote/bear/wolf/other mountain creature, or more just piss it the F off?

I gotta look me up the colorado CCW laws...

D712

would this do any damage to a coyote/bear/wolf/other mountain creature, or more just piss it the F off?

Totally apart from the adequacy or inadequacy of .380, there's another problem with the LCP and other pocket guns - it's going to be HARD to hit something small and moving with that gun. Shoot an LCP at a range sometime. Very short sight radius, super long heavy trigger pull, lots of recoil because it's so light. It's a gun for an attacker who's an armlength away.

I'd rather have it than be unarmed, but if there's a pit bull charging you, you're going to get bit. Once its head is still by virtue of your leg immobilizing its teeth, then you will be able to hit it. :)

Totally apart from the adequacy or inadequacy of .380, there's another problem with the LCP and other pocket guns - it's going to be HARD to hit something small and moving with that gun. Shoot an LCP at a range sometime. Very short sight radius, super long heavy trigger pull, lots of recoil because it's so light. It's a gun for an attacker who's an armlength away.

I'd rather have it than be unarmed, but if there's a pit bull charging you, you're going to get bit. Once its head is still by virtue of your leg immobilizing its teeth, then you will be able to hit it. :)

Thee is always a trade-off between the light weight and small carry guns vs the size of the caliber and accuracy of the weapon. Most of us don't need or want a full size pistol when going for a jog.

Thee is always a trade-off between the light weight and small carry guns vs the size of the caliber and accuracy of the weapon. Most of us don't need or want a full size pistol when going for a jog.

Absolutely - I have a LCP and occasionally carry it. As I said it's better than harsh language. ;)

Nice thread. I have noticed that throughout a lot of these types of "interest" threads [guns, politics, etc.] Blade typically contributes a lot. I enjoy reading his contributions but because of his characteristic posts I have unintentionally formed an opinion of what he is most likely like off line:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVjMzrCMW9Q[/YOUTUBE]