This or next year? MD/PhD reapplicant waiting on pubs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hypophora

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I do apply this year I'll be a 3rd time reapplicant. I always really wanted to do MD/PhD but I applied straight MD the previous two times because I was too intimidated by the competition (bad decision making I know).

I have a 3.6/3.5 GPA/sGPA from UC Berkeley in a molecular bio major. I did a chemistry minor which dragged down my GPA a lot. I did a post-bac type master's degree after that where I got a 3.9 GPA (equivalent of two full semesters of classes, got one A-). My MCAT is 524 (129/132/131/132) so at least that's good.

Now the actual question has to do with pubs which are super important for MD/PhD as far as I can tell. I wrote a paper with the PI I did my master's thesis with, but the paper was not accepted by the first journal we sent it to. We are making significant changes and will be resubmitting by mid June. If this paper gets accepted I will be first author. I'm in a different lab now, and in that lab I contributed to an abstract/poster for the SFN conference later this year. We are working on a publication on the same topic as that poster, hopefully to be submitted by the end of June. I will probably be second or possibly third author on that one. Assuming these papers make it through the review process they would probably get accepted sometime in the Fall if not later.

I have everything ready to submit my primary app for MD/PhD programs when the app opens soon, but as a third time reapplicant I am seriously considering whether waiting another year to apply would be a good idea. I thought I would have at least one publication by the time it came to submit AMCAS but it just did not happen.

Any advice? Should I go through with submitting AMCAS this year and just update all the schools if/when my submitted publications get accepted?

Members don't see this ad.