Thomas Jefferson

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cd87

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is a relatively new program. Does anyone know anything about it?

Members don't see this ad.

All I know is that they stole a bunch of USP's professors and we want them back. I know confettiflyer goes there. You could probably PM him.

Yes Confetti goes to Jeff, so do I. What do you want to know about it? And yes, we did steal a lot of your USP professors =p

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha, yes I'm at Jefferson and so is ADN. I think I replied to your PM. I should just post that reply here.

My reply, with additions:

I like jefferson a lot, it's kind of an "under the radar" school and i went here for entirely different reasons than a lot of locals (i'm from california). as each day passes, i'm glad I picked this school. Here's why:

1) Strength of the hospital -- When I interviewed, I got a tour of the hospital with the director (Dr. Meyer) and was impressed. All of the other schools in the area (USP, Temple) send students to Jefferson for rotations. Being a part of the Jefferson "system" gets you an "in" with the hospital and its network of clinics/associated hospitals.

2) Interdisciplinary strength -- Jefferson has a really strong medical school and we share faculty. Gives our curriculum a lot of credibility IMO. Also, we work with med students in a separate program where we're assigned a patient to follow for 2 years. Kind of interesting stuff.

3) Strength of faculty -- About 90% of our pharmacy faculty (not including faculty borrowed from med school) are straight out of USP. So the faculty already know what they're doing.

4) Size of class -- This can be a pro or a con...but being the only pharmacy students on campus, the faculty all know us by name and face, so there's lots of interaction there. Compare this to other schools where your class is maybe 150-250 large, my class has less than 75 people and so will your class.

5) Location -- This was a huge bonus that I didn't even realize until recently. Jefferson is in the *nice* part of Philly (center city). I mean, yeah, this place is a big city and all...but it's nice to know if you stay close to campus, you're more or less safe (compared to Temple which is in the heart of the ghetto).

In terms of cons...we are a new program, so there's going to naturally be a lot of adjustments over the next few years. I guess the good thing is the faculty actually values our opinions.

Another con could be the somewhat high GPA requirement to continue (3.0 minimum GPA needed). This is the same as USC...a lot of students who aren't used to the academic rigor are complaining, but if you didn't sail through undergrad at an easy school/program, this should be a piece of cake. Most of my friends are above the 3.0 mark, or will be by the end of the semester (ie no one I know is drastically failing).

I could probably go on more, but shoot me some specific questions so I don't drone on and on. Goodluck! Maybe I'll end up interviewing you, unfortunately I can't disclose what dates I'm doing (for obvious reasons).

My friend's friend from CA is attending Jefferson.

I'm was thinking about applying myself until I looked up the tuition costs.

My friend's friend from CA is attending Jefferson.

I'm was thinking about applying myself until I looked up the tuition costs.

Really? I think Jefferson's tuition is cheap comparatively speaking. It's ~$27k per year. I think USC was charging $34k, UH Hilo was charging $30k. Not too sure. If you're comparing it to public schools, well, obviously it's expensive.

But hey, for me...I was a beggar that couldn't choose. If I got into one school that charged $35k...the numbers still work in terms of salary at the end of the tunnel.

EDIT: Jefferson is cheaper than the other two pharm schools in center city (granted it's the newest)

USP -- $29,844 for professional years 3,4,5. $42k for year 6 (P-4)
Temple -- $30,454

Compared to most private pharmacy school tuitions, Jefferson has relatively cheap or at least average tuition.

If you have killer grades and PCAT scores, apply to pubic schools. Most Public school tuition is 20K or slightly under 20K. For everyone else, private school tuition on average is currently 30K. Get use to it.

Almost all pharmacy students take out some sort of Loans. So if your tuition is 30K/ year, add at least 5K+ (of living expenses, and cost of books) to your tuition and that amount (35K+) will be the amount of loan you need each school year.

Oh and the cost tuition will only continue to rise. Especially now, since the economy is horrible, and many people are returning to school.

See AACP links for complete tuition stats:

Tuition trend:
http://www.aacp.org/IDV/Tuition/0708/tuition0708.htm

First Year Tuition and Fees for Pharm.D. Degree Programs in 2008-09:

http://www.aacp.org/Docs/MainNavigation/InstitutionalData/9343_PSARTable11.pdf

Last edited:
Really? I think Jefferson's tuition is cheap comparatively speaking. It's ~$27k per year. I think USC was charging $34k, UH Hilo was charging $30k. Not too sure. If you're comparing it to public schools, well, obviously it's expensive.

But hey, for me...I was a beggar that couldn't choose. If I got into one school that charged $35k...the numbers still work in terms of salary at the end of the tunnel.

EDIT: Jefferson is cheaper than the other two pharm schools in center city (granted it's the newest)

USP -- $29,844 for professional years 3,4,5. $42k for year 6 (P-4)
Temple -- $30,454

Wow, thanks for the clarification. For whatever reason, I had the impression that Thomas Jefferson was $42K/yr! :oops:

Maybe I'll consider applying since Thomas Jefferson accepted a lot of out-of-state applicants for 2008.

Wow, thanks for the clarification. For whatever reason, I had the impression that Thomas Jefferson was $42K/yr! :oops:

Maybe I'll consider applying since Thomas Jefferson accepted a lot of out-of-state applicants for 2008.

May be $40-$42k with room and board, but I have no idea. Apartments in Philly aren't too expensive, especially if you have roommates (though they're more expensive in the Jeff area than the USP area).

Just got an interview invite for TJU!! I'm assuming they're rolling out a bunch of invites today. Anyone else get one?

Just got an interview invite for TJU!! I'm assuming they're rolling out a bunch of invites today. Anyone else get one?

I got one a week ago but haven't sent it in...the airfare is SO expensive from cali to phil. which day are u going?

Members don't see this ad :)
Adcoms at this school might be Phillies fans, so don't wear any New York Mets t-shirts underneath your collared shirt. My shirt was white, and the t-shirt was blue, so you could clearly see from underneath my shirt that I was a Mets fan.

Quick question. I don't see any interview feedback for Thomas Jeffererson on SDN. Anyone have any insight as to some of the interview questions? Things I should be aware of going into the interview ahead of time, etc.? I hate going into these interviews blind and would love to make a good impression with the adcom, as TJU is one of my top choices. Any help would be appreciated.

Confetti goes to TJU so maybe he can help ...

... for the right price. ;)

haha...congrats to all the new interviewees. I did interview feedback with SDN but I guess they erased all of them. ::shrug:: the site had a few problems last year and that never got fixed I guess.

Hi!

Just wanted to say that I also am attending TJU, and would be happy to answer any questions about the program, faculty, facilities, etc. Good luck during this incredibly intense process, and hope to see you at some interviews!

PK

I received my invitation interview a few days ago....my second one with the school as I did not get chosen last spring for the current class.

I just got my interview invite! Hope I don't mess it up completely, this is my first one and I'm nervous already. Does anyone know if the interview is closed file or not?

I just got my interview invite! Hope I don't mess it up completely, this is my first one and I'm nervous already. Does anyone know if the interview is closed file or not?

Given that last year's interviews were open file, I think you can assume it'll be the case this time around.

Good Luck With Interviews Everyone!

I'll tell you about last year's interview process. Not sure if it will be the same this year but i'm sure they kept it similar.

Basically I had my interviews first. You're kinda split into 2 groups - one with interviews first then tour while the other group did the opposite.
I had my interview with Dr. Umland (Dean of Academic Affairs) for around 30mins, it was really relaxed, she had my file in front of her and just asked questions concerning my file. pass experiences, why jeff, why pharmacy etc. i dont remember her questions exactly bc it was very casual, conversational. I actually ended up talking too much and going over my time and having my second interviewer wait for me! lol.
So I went out and Karen Jacobs (in charged of health professions school) was waiting for me for my second interview. Hers was a lil more hardcore. She also had my file and had a set of questions she asked. Questions I remembered with Karen was recent book I read and how would I deal with people of different cultures. Talking to Karen was a bit scary bc she was scribbling frantically! writing down everything I said. and it was question after question after question, not very conversation. Very to the point. I think Confetti had the same experience with Karen as well.
After my interview with Karen, then I went on the university tour then the hospital tour. then that was it.

Overall - I interviewed at Midwestern Chicago, Hawaii, VCU and Howard and I felt that Jefferson's interview was the easiest and most casual.

So don't worry! Be sure to practice interviewing with your friends/fam, but dont sound too rehearsed. Just make sure to talk about important points. Also, talk about something that stands out. I remember Dr. Umland really liked that I make websites for a saturday church school my brother in law volunteers teaching at --- i guess its something that was different than my peers. Good luck!

has anybody received confirmation on the date they will be interviewing? I sent in my letter with my top 2 choices a couple weeks ago and haven't heard anything back...

Need to hurry and book before prices go up

has anybody received confirmation on the date they will be interviewing? I sent in my letter with my top 2 choices a couple weeks ago and haven't heard anything back...

Need to hurry and book before prices go up

I got an email back within an hour. Maybe you chose a popular date and he's working on scheduling it. I chose one of the earliest dates, so maybe he does those first.

For people who got interview invitations to Jefferson, how long did it take them to invite you after you submitted your supplemental??? Thanks!

I submitted end of September, got the interview invite two weeks ago.

I submitted my supplemental November 14 and got my invite December 1. I'm going on December 20 too! Where are you driving from? I'm hoping there's not too much Philly traffic on a Saturday morning, but perhaps I'm being optomistic.

Dec 20th :)
Which date(s) did you request?

Late Sept/Late November

Boo!! I wont get to see you again? =(

awww well not at Jefferson! But maybe we will end up going to school together!! that would be so fun!!

Eek! Just received my interview schedule and I'll be required to do a writing sample first thing. Did any of you have to do one last year? I'm assuming it's likely an ethical question or something related to health care, but a 'contemporary topic' really leaves things open.

No, we didn't have an essay last year for us. But I had to write one for another interview, it wasn't too hard. I'm sure they just want to make sure you can form coherent thoughts... whatever the question just make sure you back up your answer. I wouldn't worry about the essay portion... can't be worse than the PCAT! Good luck!

Btw i'm sure you know to leave some room for traffic bc center city traffic sucks... lots of lights and it'll be a bit difficult to find parking unless you're parking in the garages.

Eek! Just received my interview schedule and I'll be required to do a writing sample first thing. Did any of you have to do one last year? I'm assuming it's likely an ethical question or something related to health care, but a 'contemporary topic' really leaves things open.

Oh finally they require this...you won't believe the writing quality that somehow seeped through in our class. Ugh.

haha, but yeah goodluck, you should be okay :thumbup:

adn is right, if you're driving into the city...good freakin' luck. If anyone's coming from south jersey, take the PATCO in, drops you right onto campus. Otherwise, spend the $8-10 and park in the garage.

How bad do you think it will be on a Saturday morning? I'm supposed to be there by 8:45am, coming from 30 min south of Harrisburg. Mapquest says 2ish hours, me thinks I'll be leaving closer to 6am just in case.

I think that should be fine... but oye thats so early! theres noone you should stay overnight with? Just don't get lost on your way here! =)

I just had my interview with Jefferson this past tuesday, (Jan 6). I would have to say that I had a very good interview compared with my last one from last spring and I have a much better feeling of being accepted this time around. I had a few surprises along the way as one of the people that interviewed me actually remembered me from the one time she saw me working at a Walgreens 6 months ago! I was also remembered by the one that gave the hospital tour from the last time I was there. It was very comforting for him to whisper that he was glad to see me again. I was well prepared this time around and asked soe very good questions.

I just had my interview with Jefferson this past tuesday, (Jan 6). I would have to say that I had a very good interview compared with my last one from last spring and I have a much better feeling of being accepted this time around. I had a few surprises along the way as one of the people that interviewed me actually remembered me from the one time she saw me working at a Walgreens 6 months ago! I was also remembered by the one that gave the hospital tour from the last time I was there. It was very comforting for him to whisper that he was glad to see me again. I was well prepared this time around and asked soe very good questions.

good luck, hope you get in!

Hey Waryman, I was at your interview.. I think I know who you were because I saw him whisper in your ear. At the time I was kind of confused but now it makes sense lol.. Anyways yeah I think my interview went really well also, and I was really impressed with the school and the hospital in general. So you already interviewed there last year? How did you feel coming out of the interview last year compared to this time?

How bad do you think it will be on a Saturday morning? I'm supposed to be there by 8:45am, coming from 30 min south of Harrisburg. Mapquest says 2ish hours, me thinks I'll be leaving closer to 6am just in case.

Depending on your driving habits, you could cut that down to one hour. I was coming down from Wilkes-Barre when I was going to the Jefferson interview and I was going to arrive there in 1 hour but I ran into traffic outside of Philly and got stuck in that for an additional 30 minutes.

I ended up leaving super duper early and made really good time. It was the last Saturday before christmas so I didn't want to run into any King of Prussia traffic. Although I got there early, I read over my notes for 15 min and then just chilled in my car and read a book. I'm glad I took the time to relax, it was my first interview and I was pretty nervous. All in all I was really impressed with the school and the hospital. I'm not a fan of the location (country girl at heart) but I could definately attend Jeff and be happy. Does anyone have an idea when we're going to hear back from them?

I ended up leaving super duper early and made really good time. It was the last Saturday before christmas so I didn't want to run into any King of Prussia traffic. Although I got there early, I read over my notes for 15 min and then just chilled in my car and read a book. I'm glad I took the time to relax, it was my first interview and I was pretty nervous. All in all I was really impressed with the school and the hospital. I'm not a fan of the location (country girl at heart) but I could definately attend Jeff and be happy. Does anyone have an idea when we're going to hear back from them?

I believe they are a rolling admissions school, I heard back from them 2 weeks after the interview.

Hey Waryman, I was at your interview.. I think I know who you were because I saw him whisper in your ear. At the time I was kind of confused but now it makes sense lol.. Anyways yeah I think my interview went really well also, and I was really impressed with the school and the hospital in general. So you already interviewed there last year? How did you feel coming out of the interview last year compared to this time?

I always knew why I wanted to be a pharmacist but I never really explained it to myself in words fully. This time around I have the right answers for the right questions and I even had relevant questions to ask each interviewer. I pretty much maxed out my time with questions, but the ones I asked were questions I really wanted to know and which I believe showed my determination to become such a professional. I found by second interview with Cynthia to be somewhat insincere as she had this tone of not really a f**k. Though both were really productive and I feel comfortable in knowing that we are in the first batched of interviewees. Earlier interviews usually end up better for the applicants. Last year, I felt that I was close to making it but that there were better performing applicants before hand. But this year was better as I added 3 science courses (2 pre-reqs) from that last semester that I completely smashed. How did yours go?

Both my interviews went really well in my opinion.. I had a lot to talk about, and towards the end it almost felt more conversational rather than just question and answer.. which I think is a good sign. So we were the first to be interviewed in this cycle? I thought there were a few interviewees before us.. do you have any idea how long it will take before we find out if we got in or not? How long did it take you to find out last year?

I just got my interview invitation by email Friday morning =)

BUT I have a "W" on my transcript for Anatomy from fall semester and I will be taking it again in February. I did the academic update but I noticed that PharmCAS states it takes 4-6 weeks to process the update.

I'm pretty sure this will hurt my chances with TJU admission. Should I email them about this?

Thanks..

Both my interviews went really well in my opinion.. I had a lot to talk about, and towards the end it almost felt more conversational rather than just question and answer.. which I think is a good sign. So we were the first to be interviewed in this cycle? I thought there were a few interviewees before us.. do you have any idea how long it will take before we find out if we got in or not? How long did it take you to find out last year?

I interviewed on December 20, I think there also was a session on that Friday. They told us we'd hear back by the end of January so I assume they're waiting to look at the applicants until all of this session's interviews are completed. I hope it's sooner though, this was my first and only (so far, I hope) interview and the suspense is killing me.

Just had my interview today as well. I fly out tomorrow so I spent the day in Philly. Gotta say I'm not a fan of the city. The school impressed me like no other, but the city did the exact opposite. Brought back too many horrible memories of my time in Boston. If it was just me I'd probably tough it out, but with a family and wanting to live in our own house (ie- not an apartment), I don't think TJU is going to be a realistic option. :( We'll see though. Gotta wait to see if I get accepted and then I'll really look into my options at that point.

By the way, "Hi!" to everyone at the interview today. Everyone looked very professional and was very friendly. It'd be nice to see all of us together in class next year. Wonder what ever happened to the one guy who didn't get to interview til everyone else (I remember his name, but don't want to use his real name online). That was definitely weird. Anyone else have any thoughts about the school from today's interview?

I took me like 4 weeks to find out that I was rejected. I had my interview last spring and I was the very last batch of interviewees for that year. I was somewhat worried as the class was filling up and I believe that they waited so long to check out all the interviewees before they chose. I know some people in my last group got accepted in less than a week from their date. I had to wait over a month. As for the comments about the city--you are right---phily is a pretty ****ty city overall; but in terms of the better areas they are simply top notch. The area of Jefferson is a nice area but not the most interesting. There are some very beautiful parts of the city with many great things to do. There are crap loads of awesome bars and clubs to go to as well.

I took me like 4 weeks to find out that I was rejected. I had my interview last spring and I was the very last batch of interviewees for that year. I was somewhat worried as the class was filling up and I believe that they waited so long to check out all the interviewees before they chose. I know some people in my last group got accepted in less than a week from their date. I had to wait over a month. As for the comments about the city--you are right---phily is a pretty ****ty city overall; but in terms of the better areas they are simply top notch. The area of Jefferson is a nice area but not the most interesting. There are some very beautiful parts of the city with many great things to do. There are crap loads of awesome bars and clubs to go to as well.

Of course Philly is ****ty. Home to some of the most vile sports fans in the world who know nothing. **** THE PHILLIES AND **** THE EAGLES!

Of course Philly is ****ty. Home to some of the most vile sports fans in the world who know nothing. **** THE PHILLIES AND **** THE EAGLES!

Most vile sports fans--absolutely. "Know nothing" I don;t think so. The Phillies won the world series and the Eagles are in the playoffs after a so-so season where they ****ed up both Dallas and Pittsburgh; so I would keep your opinions to yourself about not knowing anything as Philly fans have this horrible pastime of killing the sports fans of opposing teams when they win something.