Thoughts/advice on applying to MD/PhD Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gamst

Reaction score
Hello SDN,

I'm currently planning on applying to MD/PhD programs in the coming summer/fall. I'll briefly post my stats and relevant experiences below, and some concerns I have. Any thoughts and advice will be greatly appreciated!

-cGPA: 3.6 (sharp incline after sophomore year, ended with three consecutive semesters of >3.8)
-MCAT: 518

Research:
- Worked in one research lab for 2.5 years (1 year full-time, 1.5 years part-time while in school).
- 5 publications (1 being co-first authorship)
- Around 4000 hours give or take.

Clinical:
- Medical scribe for 4 months
- Part-time volunteering in clinic for 9 months
- Shadowed a trauma surgeon ~20 hours.

Industry:
- Currently a full-time data analyst at a biotech company (cancer genomics related) since a year ago.

So a big concern that I have is that although I have done a lot of research, they were all done in one lab. I have seen many successful MD/PhD applicants both online and offline who have worked in multiple labs. Will this be a disadvantage to me?

Also, I will be a reapplicant in the coming cycle. I've always been interested in MD/PhD, but was never too sure to commit to its length of the program so my first cycle was MD-only. However, as I reflect more on my experiences I had in the lab and my current job, I am quite certain about becoming a physician-scientist now.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

So a big concern that I have is that although I have done a lot of research, they were all done in one lab. I have seen many successful MD/PhD applicants both online and offline who have worked in multiple labs. Will this be a disadvantage to me?

I'd say no. Quality over quantity. Don't compare yourself to others. Keep working on the upward GPA trend.

Reactions: 1 user
I would not worry about having done research in only one lab. You have multiple publications which obviously indicates productivity. As long as you feel like your experience in that one lab is enough for you to have a strong idea of what a career as a researcher might look like, then you will be fine.

As for your concern as a re-applicant from MD to MD-PhD, if someone asks about this discrepancy, just be prepared to explain your maturation to the decision of applying MD-PhD. Whether you're a re-applicant or not, one of the most important factors contributing to MD-PhD admission decisions is the evaluation of your commitment to a career as a physician scientist. Schools are making a large investment in you by accepting you as a student for 8 years and covering the majority, if not all of your expenses. They want to know that you are fully aware of what you are getting into and are prepared to handle it.

Otherwise I think your app is in a good place for an upcoming cycle. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user