Thoughts on adversity/diversity secondary ideas?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cherrymed

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I was trying to think about what to write for the adversity secondary essay and I was wondering if anyone can offer any advice on what you think would be best?

1. illness in family (i talked about this in my personal statement so idk if I want to repeat)
  2. in high school, i always compared myself to my friends who seemed to always get good grades and got into better colleges than me even though we did the same extracurriculars, i struggled with how average i thought i was and it was challenge for me figure out my identity and stop comparing myself to other people, but now i've learned to be proud of my own accomplishments and this helped me excel in whatever I was doing (work, college courses, etc.)
  3. i lived in another country when i was younger and moved to the US in second grade, so it was a difficult transition since i was behind in school, making new friends, being in an unfamiliar place, etc. (idk if this is okay since it was so long ago and i was like 7 or 8 when this happened)
im leaning towards number 2 but don't know if it's appropriate?

for diversity, i wrote about being a curious child and learning multiple things growing up (multiple instruments, journalism, figure skating, taekwondo, etc.) focusing on how i learned a new perspective from every new thing i learned...dont know if this is okay or should i focus on only one thing?

thanks in advance :)
For diversity, you're going to have to do better than that. Introspection is a required trait for a doctor.

I'm not crazy about number two. For the adversity prompt, you want to talk about circumstances that led you to display your coping skills and Grit.

Reactions: 1 user
For diversity, you're going to have to do better than that. Introspection is a required trait for a doctor.

I'm not crazy about number two. For the adversity prompt, you want to talk about circumstances that led you to display your coping skills and Grit.
thank you for your reply and advice! for diversity, do you think talking about my work experience in clinical neuropsychology could be a good idea? since not a lot of people know what it is or have done it

Members don't see this ad :)
I was trying to think about what to write for the adversity secondary essay and I was wondering if anyone can offer any advice on what you think would be best?

1. illness in family (i talked about this in my personal statement so idk if I want to repeat)
  2. in high school, i always compared myself to my friends who seemed to always get good grades and got into better colleges than me even though we did the same extracurriculars, i struggled with how average i thought i was and it was challenge for me figure out my identity and stop comparing myself to other people, but now i've learned to be proud of my own accomplishments and this helped me excel in whatever I was doing (work, college courses, etc.)
  3. i lived in another country when i was younger and moved to the US in second grade, so it was a difficult transition since i was behind in school, making new friends, being in an unfamiliar place, etc. (idk if this is okay since it was so long ago and i was like 7 or 8 when this happened)
im leaning towards number 2 but don't know if it's appropriate?

for diversity, i wrote about being a curious child and learning multiple things growing up (multiple instruments, journalism, figure skating, taekwondo, etc.) focusing on how i learned a new perspective from every new thing i learned...dont know if this is okay or should i focus on only one thing?

thanks in advance :)

I agree with the wise Goro. It’s almost a cliche among premeds to write essays about their grades or academic performance. Remember that they’re looking for someone who will contribute to the class and add a unique perspective, not someone who checks the boxes of perceived diversity. I applied as a white male from an upper middle class family, but I wrote about the experiences I had throughout my adult life that most helped me grow as a person and appreciate the diversity in others. It worked for me, and that’s really all I could personally think to write about. You don’t have to worry about whether or not you’re unique. You have a culmination of life experiences that contribute to who you are.

Reactions: 1 user