Quantcast
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ReginaldYee

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
For my diversity essay topic I'm thinking of writing about a near death experience. Last year I travelled to Panama as part of a volunteer medical team. While we were there we went swimming in a water hole in the middle of the jungle. One of my team members couldn't swim so he started to drown and I swam over to try and save him. I am not a trained lifeguard and almost died of secondary drowning. Luckily we were somehow able to get back to the shallow part of the water. Also, after coming back from this trip, I was diagnosed with typhus and was bedridden for almost 2 months. I contracted it through secondary infection from bug bites. This was during exams but I was still able to get good mars that semester.
I think this is a very unique experience and has the potential to stand out from the crowd, but I'm not sure how I can tie it into the theme of diversity. Honestly, I don't even know how universities define the term diversity.

Any feedback is appreciated, thanks!

piii

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
First, it's two unrelated stories for the most part. Second, this is more of a challenge essay. I don't think has anything to do with diversity or uniqueness. Come up with what sets you apart, or how are you going to contribute to the diversity of the class. It can be skills or hobbies, personal characteristics, etc.

Reactions: 1 user

Alma1989

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think it's a good idea for....something.... but I think as a diversity essay, it's a little off-topic. If you are constantly in life and death situations via paramedic or fire department, I could totally see how using that as a good example would be a nice cherry on top. But "diversity" has to run as a undercurrent in your life. Not just a really big thing that happened to you.

Reactions: 1 user

yellowbottlesippin

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Totally agree with the first reply! It is a great challenge essay, but not what makes you unique. It doesn't have to be race. It can be a hobby of yours or even a VERY unique experience that gave you a unique outlook on something. Really sit down and ask what your friends would say about you if they have to say one cool thing about you.