TheHound

5+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2014
Just wanted to find out what people think of this book ?

Anyone who has used NextStep 108 and subsequently written the MCAT or can compare to the 2 available AAMC practice tests?

Personally, I find the passages too dense and the questions vague.. Score significantly higher on both TPR and EK passages.

Appreciate the info.

summergirl

7+ Year Member
Feb 28, 2012
Status
Medical Student
Really hard passages and questions. Explanations to answers sometimes don't make sense at all. I did about 3 tests in it and gave up on the book. Ended up getting 129 on the real CARS.

Reactions: TheHound
OP
TheHound

TheHound

5+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2014
Really hard passages and questions. Explanations to answers sometimes don't make sense at all. I did about 3 tests in it and gave up on the book. Ended up getting 129 on the real CARS.
Nice! Congrats on that score.

I might actually follow suit... I've finished more than half the book and it feels like a waste of time / energy. How did you prepare for CARS if you don't mind me asking?

Lawper

cat in a box
Gold Donor
5+ Year Member
SDN Ambassador
Jun 17, 2014
space chat
Amazon Reviews and some SDN posts in MCAT Forums mostly agree with your and @summergirl sentiments that NextStep CARS book has dense passages and pretty terrible questions + answer explanations. I'd use the book only for practicing how to read difficult passages (especially in arts/philosophy) and completely skip the questions.

Kpw101

5+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2013
Status
Medical Student
What is the best CARS study material to use? I'm currently using Kaplan, op-Ed articles, and vocabulary studying. Taking MCAT in 2018
2 years out, I would read dense philosophy books and The Economist (helped me out).