Thoughts on Nextstep CARS 108

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheHound

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to find out what people think of this book ?

Anyone who has used NextStep 108 and subsequently written the MCAT or can compare to the 2 available AAMC practice tests?

Personally, I find the passages too dense and the questions vague.. Score significantly higher on both TPR and EK passages.

Appreciate the info.

Members don't see this ad.

Really hard passages and questions. Explanations to answers sometimes don't make sense at all. I did about 3 tests in it and gave up on the book. Ended up getting 129 on the real CARS.

Reactions: 1 user
Really hard passages and questions. Explanations to answers sometimes don't make sense at all. I did about 3 tests in it and gave up on the book. Ended up getting 129 on the real CARS.
Nice! Congrats on that score.

I might actually follow suit... I've finished more than half the book and it feels like a waste of time / energy. How did you prepare for CARS if you don't mind me asking?

Amazon Reviews and some SDN posts in MCAT Forums mostly agree with your and @summergirl sentiments that NextStep CARS book has dense passages and pretty terrible questions + answer explanations. I'd use the book only for practicing how to read difficult passages (especially in arts/philosophy) and completely skip the questions.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What is the best CARS study material to use? I'm currently using Kaplan, op-Ed articles, and vocabulary studying. Taking MCAT in 2018

What is the best CARS study material to use? I'm currently using Kaplan, op-Ed articles, and vocabulary studying. Taking MCAT in 2018

2 years out, I would read dense philosophy books and The Economist (helped me out).