Thoughts on OAT destroyer and OAT achiever 2017?

London22

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have seen a lot of old info circulating these 2 and was wondering if the Achiever on its own will be enough for practice problems?

I've heard the Achiever was much harder than the Destroyer and that the Destroyer better prepares you for more realistic questions that would appear on the exam. I'm not sure if this still applies with the more recent 2017 versions. Are they really that different from each other?

Members don't see this ad.

When preparing for the OAT I did use OAT Achiever and noticed it is WAYYYY harder than the actual OAT. I prepared with Kaplan after feeling terrible after every full length with the OAT Achiever. Kaplan and the free full length oat test from the ADA are the most realistic to the real exam.

When preparing for the OAT I did use OAT Achiever and noticed it is WAYYYY harder than the actual OAT. I prepared with Kaplan after feeling terrible after every full length with the OAT Achiever. Kaplan and the free full length oat test from the ADA are the most realistic to the real exam.

Same haha. Honestly I stopped using the Achiever because it was freaking me out too much during my last weeks of studying. The questions were taking me too long because they're so much harder and then I noticed I started guessing myself on everything too much after I saw the dreadful results I was getting. I take my test in a couple days and wasn't able to do anything Kaplan related so right now I'm just doing a final review of all my notes from Chad's on each topic and also reviewing the ADA sample tests for the OAT and DAT.

I took a couple Princeton Review tests from Cracking the OAT and was scoring about 320 on each section, 350 on reading and QR. Idk how well princeton is compared to everything else but it seems like the questions are similar to the ADA sample. Their gen Chem is a little too calculation based though I feel. (like 80% calculations on one of their tests..vs ~50/50 conceptual with the ADA samples)

I really hope that on my actual OAT the questions aren't too difficult or "wordy" because I tend to trip myself up with second guessing when 2 answers seem really similar to each other.
I strongly dislike the questions that give you a 2 sentence question along with a full length sentence for each multiple choice answer.
Or the questions that give you 3 or 4 statements and then ask how many are correct with the answers going like this:
A. I only
B. II only
C. II and III
D. III only
E. I, II, and III

kills me every time. I noticed a TON of these on the Achiever, especially in Bio section, and seriously praying I don't see too many on my OAT.

Same haha. Honestly I stopped using the Achiever because it was freaking me out too much during my last weeks of studying. The questions were taking me too long because they're so much harder and then I noticed I started guessing myself on everything too much after I saw the dreadful results I was getting. I take my test in a couple days and wasn't able to do anything Kaplan related so right now I'm just doing a final review of all my notes from Chad's on each topic and also reviewing the ADA sample tests for the OAT and DAT.

I took a couple Princeton Review tests from Cracking the OAT and was scoring about 320 on each section, 350 on reading and QR. Idk how well princeton is compared to everything else but it seems like the questions are similar to the ADA sample. Their gen Chem is a little too calculation based though I feel. (like 80% calculations on one of their tests..vs ~50/50 conceptual with the ADA samples)

I really hope that on my actual OAT the questions aren't too difficult or "wordy" because I tend to trip myself up with second guessing when 2 answers seem really similar to each other.
I strongly dislike the questions that give you a 2 sentence question along with a full length sentence for each multiple choice answer.
Or the questions that give you 3 or 4 statements and then ask how many are correct with the answers going like this:
A. I only
B. II only
C. II and III
D. III only
E. I, II, and III

kills me every time. I noticed a TON of these on the Achiever, especially in Bio section, and seriously praying I don't see too many on my OAT.
I totally understand you. I didn't see too many of those on the actual OAT. Best of luck!