Thoughts on Yale's program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oligodendrocyte

oligodendrocyte
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious about any thoughts people have on yale's path program.

Members don't see this ad.

I think IH8Biochem is at Yale.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am currently a 4th year resident at Yale and am very satisfied with my training. I have posted previously on the program and am happy to answer any questions people may have.

Is the program "malignant?" I've heard this label pinned on the program a couple times on the interview trail and never got that impression at my interview there. I do know residents there work very long hours on some rotations but didn't get the feeling anyone was being treated unfairly or that the place wasn't anything less than collegial.

Also, I've read that residents can't do away electives for rotations not offered at Yale's program. Has this affected fellowship placement for residents who have wanted to go elsewhere?

And finally, regarding post-interview feedback from the PD... I read mine and it sounds great, but... how do I decode it? :)

Is the program "malignant?" I've heard this label pinned on the program a couple times on the interview trail and never got that impression at my interview there. I do know residents there work very long hours on some rotations but didn't get the feeling anyone was being treated unfairly or that the place wasn't anything less than collegial.

Also, I've read that residents can't do away electives for rotations not offered at Yale's program. Has this affected fellowship placement for residents who have wanted to go elsewhere?

And finally, regarding post-interview feedback from the PD... I read mine and it sounds great, but... how do I decode it? :)

I'm disappointed to hear that we have a "malignant" label floating around out there. As you mentioned, we do have some pretty busy rotations that can have long hours but I think that they are well balanced by lighter rotations. I sincerely doubt that the other residents think that Yale is a malignant program.

Residents are allowed to do away rotations. Most of the rotations in recent years have been for dermpath to increase the chances of landing the fellowship. Since I've been at Yale, I can think of 5 residents that have gotten dermpath spots, 4 of which were at other institutions.

I probably can't help you much with the post-interview feedback. Dr. Sinard is pretty straightforward about answering specific match-related questions. You may just want to ask him.

Hope that helps.