Ticket Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Edx102$

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I recently got a citation for being underage in a bar. I know this is generally not a big deal but unfortunately i got this ticket a bit older than most. I am in my junior year of school so there will be less time between this citation and my application cycle.

For reference, this ticker in my state is a low class forfeiture so I am not entirely sure if id need to report it, In the case that I do I have 2 options.

Option 1: go to my court date, plea guilty, pay a small fine
Option 2: Hire a lawyer who friends of mine have had success with removing/sealing tickets in the past- this will obviously be pricier and I would most likely need some help from my parents.

For reference, I dont think my parents would be too angry but the key word here is think.
So basically, is it worth shelling out the extra cash and letting my parents know or should I just accept the ticket and move on. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
A lot of this depends, but my advice with you is to start at option 2 as a lawyer is who you should be seeking legal advice from.

I know you think its not a big deal, but it can be and you most definitely will need to report it.

Reactions: 1 users
Hire a lawyer!!! Get that expunged I mean schools will be able to see that and you will most likely have to report it. Most citations are techincally an arrest they just don't take you in.
So I recently got a citation for being underage in a bar. I know this is generally not a big deal but unfortunately i got this ticket a bit older than most. I am in my junior year of school so there will be less time between this citation and my application cycle.

For reference, this ticker in my state is a low class forfeiture so I am not entirely sure if id need to report it, In the case that I do I have 2 options.

Option 1: go to my court date, plea guilty, pay a small fine
Option 2: Hire a lawyer who friends of mine have had success with removing/sealing tickets in the past- this will obviously be pricier and I would most likely need some help from my parents.

For reference, I dont think my parents would be too angry but the key word here is think.
So basically, is it worth shelling out the extra cash and letting my parents know or should I just accept the ticket and move on. Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Hire a lawyer!!! Get that expunged I mean schools will be able to see that and you will most likely have to report it. Most citations are techincally an arrest they just don't take you in.
thanks for the reply! I don't belive this ticket counts as an arrest as its not a misdemeanor just a forfeiture- the cop explained it as "a glorified speeding ticket" when i voiced concerns to him over med school reporting.

thanks for the reply! I don't belive this ticket counts as an arrest as its not a misdemeanor just a forfeiture- the cop explained it as "a glorified speeding ticket" when i voiced concerns to him over med school reporting.
Yeah but dude the cops know nothing about what med schools require. Talk to a lawyer.

Reactions: 1 user
You can here, asked for advice and got it. Now you are throwing what the cop said in our faces? Why bother posting here. Do what you want and live with any consequences that may happen.

I'm sorry but you should never trust a cop.......... none the less one writing you a ticket. They are not the ones who charge you, they just conduct the investigation and summarize the complaint.

As someone who used to be a bouncer at several bars I've seen a couple kids get these types of tickets. Bars and VICE take this stuff pretty seriously as there are heavy fines and repercussions for bars when it comes to underage drinking. Yes they usually end in a fine and some community service, but you're over 18 and broke the law none the less. A lot of this stuff varies by state/county so you should get all the details from a local attorney.

• Love
I imagine that could be problematic without knowing what the charge actually is. I don't know how that applies to reporting rules with schools/AMCAS. I've never heard of such a thing as a "low class forfeiture". Apparently that's Wisconsin's weird brand of legalese for a summary offense... I guess.

In the galactic scope of bad things, it doesn't seem that bad. Its worse than a speeding ticket, but it's not a drunk driving offense or anything. You should talk to a lawyer though. It probably won't be as expensive as you think.

As for your parents, just don't tell them.

AMCAS does not require reporting charges, only adult felonies and misdemeanor convictions. If this is an adult misdemeanor conviction, it would seem that you would be required to report if you plead guilty. You should clarify the type of charge before you plead. If it is less than a misdemeanor, you may not be required to report. If you are convicted of a crime after submission, you are required to report: If you are convicted of, plead guilty, or no contest to a felony or misdemeanor crime after you submit your AMCAS application and prior to your medical school matriculation, you must inform the admissions office of each medical school to which you have applied. This communication to each medical school must be in writing, and occur within 10 business days of the occurrence of the conviction. You are being redirected...

Individual schools may ask about charges, as well. You would have the opportunity to explain.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
sorry! wasnt try
You can here, asked for advice and got it. Now you are throwing what the cop said in our faces? Why bother posting here. Do what you want and live with any consequences that may happen.
Sorry! wasnt trying to do that was just trying to give complete info-appreciate all the advice being given!

I imagine that could be problematic without knowing what the charge actually is. I don't know how that applies to reporting rules with schools/AMCAS. I've never heard of such a thing as a "low class forfeiture". Apparently that's Wisconsin's weird brand of legalese for a summary offense... I guess.

In the galactic scope of bad things, it doesn't seem that bad. Its worse than a speeding ticket, but it's not a drunk driving offense or anything. You should talk to a lawyer though. It probably won't be as expensive as you think.

As for your parents, just don't tell them.
thanks for the advice, yep it does seem to be specific to wisconsin so I will go speak with a lawyer

AMCAS does not require reporting charges, only adult felonies and misdemeanor convictions. If this is an adult conviction, it would seem that you would be required to report if you plead guilty. You should clarify the type of charge before you plead. If it is less than a misdemeanor, you may not be required to report. If you are convicted of a crime after submission, you are required to report: If you are convicted of, plead guilty, or no contest to a felony or misdemeanor crime after you submit your AMCAS application and prior to your medical school matriculation, you must inform the admissions office of each medical school to which you have applied. This communication to each medical school must be in writing, and occur within 10 business days of the occurrence of the conviction. You are being redirected...

Individual schools may ask about charges, as well. You would have the opportunity to explain.
great thanks! since this is neither a felony or misdemeanor, where would I find info on reporting procedures if amcas only specifies felony/misdemeanor? contact amcas?

great thanks! since this is neither a felony or misdemeanor, where would I find info on reporting procedures if amcas only specifies felony/misdemeanor? contact amcas?
Contacting AMCAS is probably a good idea but confirm the exact nature of the charge before you contact them.
They can be pretty vague if you don't have specifics!

Members don't see this ad :)
Contacting AMCAS is probably a good idea but confirm the exact nature of the charge before you contact them.
They can be pretty vague if you don't have specifics!
Will do, thanks again

If you got a ticket for jaywalking or for parking in a no parking zone, would you worry about reporting it to admissions offices? Really, some of these questions make me question whether some of you have any sense. Maybe I've been here too long.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Contact a lawyer, you will likely be able to have the case dismissed if this is your first offense. This means you will not be convicted of a crime and will not have to answer yes on AMCAS. Individual schools may ask about criminal charges and to that you would need to answer yes.

Personally, I would recommend a gap year to distance yourself from this and display personal growth. This would also allow time to have the charge/conviction expunged since most states require a certain amount of time without an additional criminal charge to be considered for expungement.

Health First Wisconsin says Wisconsin stands alone on allowing underage drinking in bars
"Wisconsin is the only state that allows parents or guardians to purchase alcohol for their children – regardless of whether that child is seven or 20 years old – at bars and restaurants."
;

Very German in that approach.

So basically, OP got a ticket for not having Mommy or Daddy with him when drinking in a bar in Wisconsin. I'm glad it's not a criminal offense that has to be reported because the adcoms could die laughing at the absurdity of it.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
OP never mentioned Wisconsin until halfway down the page. That changes everything. Nothing is really important in Wisconsin as far as bars, drinking etc..

Isnt there some food regulation in Wisconsin that requires restaurants to serve 4 ounces of butter or 8 ounces of cheese with every meal
I’ve never heard of that one, though my dad loves to tell me about how margarine was illegal in Wisconsin when he was a kid.

Love how some people can go through all the trouble of creating a post on SDN and tending to comments/FAQs, but can’t do a simple Google search ‍o_O...

...especially for something so important as a perceived black mark, you’d think you’d want to thoroughly check before moonlighting this to adcoms. Sigh, pre-meds.

and I love how quickly some people jump on the "hire a lawyer" bandwagon. Would you hire a lawyer to have a parking ticket "expunged" from your record?

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
and I love how quickly some people jump on the "hire a lawyer" bandwagon. Would you hire a lawyer to have a parking ticket "expunged" from your record?

I mean underage drinking can result in a suspended license and court mandated community service. Could quickly turn into not able to drive to work or programs, turns into lost wages or excess expenses for Uber/Lyft/travel. Makes the $300 you would’ve shelled out to get it dismissed much less than the paid fee and added expenses if that happened.

personally being able to avoid the 20+ hours of community service would be enough for me to shovel out a few Benjamin’s for a lawyer, but that’s just me and it’s all tentative anyways.

Very German in that approach.

So basically, OP got a ticket for not having Mommy or Daddy with him when drinking in a bar in Wisconsin. I'm glad it's not a criminal offense that has to be reported because the adcoms could die laughing at the absurdity of it.
@gonnif

Thank you guys, I did go to google and read all of this but got confused as to if AMCSAS/schools require civil offense reporting. appreciate the info and clarity-feel free to lock this thread :)

and yes haha drinking laws in wisconsin and weird and lax, cheers!