Time to Apply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Telomeres

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I plan on graduating in spring of 2013, but I plan on taking the MCAT at the end of summer 2012, is this too late to apply to medical school or get AMCAS verified?

Members don't see this ad.

I plan on graduating in spring of 2013, but I plan on taking the MCAT at the end of summer 2012, is this too late to apply to medical school or get AMCAS verified?

No it's not. Plenty of people take the test in July/August. Make sure the rest of your app is ready to go though.

By the end of the summer, it may take 3+ weeks to get one's transcripts verified. You can minimize the effect of a later application by submitting to AMCAS at the time you take the MCAT (without knowing the score) to just one school, so that by the time the score is released a month later, verification is done and your Primary application is ready to send out to all additional schools (added when you know how competitive you are). Thus you'll get and complete Secondary invitations more quickly.

Members don't see this ad :)
So would sending the AMCAS to a medical school, without my mcat, hurt my chances of acceptance at that university?

In addition, would making a list of universities I plan on applying too be a waste of time without having an MCAT score to refer to?

Med schools won't consider your application until they get the MCAT score (though you may receive an auto-Secondary if they don't screen).

You can make a broad list and do some research on each, but the schools you'd apply to might be very different if you got a score of 29 vs 35.